Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Condoms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

A question for the girls mainly here, do you find it embarasing:blush: buying condoms? Or do you rely on your boyfriend having some (or if you are out on the pull do you rely on the guy having a few!!)

When I first started having sex I was so :blush: buying them now I just pop into a local shop and buy some.

Love
Sarah

Comments

• Options
    I've never really found it a problem.
    I was a little embarassed the first time I got some, and it was always wierd when my ex and I paused in the aisle to look at what was on offer. I just went to the super market, sometimes I'd decide to get some other stuff at the same time, but I havn't got any in ages.
    Lots of my mates go to clinics for them- I'd find that far more embarassing I think.
    My ex never bought any- if his parents found him having any he'd be skinned alive! it'd be proof of a mortal sin!
  • Options
    Doesnt bother me anymore, prefer to go to the bigger shops though so they arent all staring at you choose.
  • Options
    i just think to myself its etter buying them than ending up with a baby or disease :thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Freyja

Lots of my mates go to clinics for them- I'd find that far more embarassing I think.

Nooo go to clinics - they give you loads and they are all for free they are pratically throwing them at you when you walk in the door. I don't think you even need to see a doctor to get them just ask the receptionist......

I had a quick look in boots the other day and there was far to much choice and they all seemed hideiously expensive for just a bit of rubber.
  • Options
    yeah but you just get standard ones at clinics don't you?
    I like the gossamer ones better, true they are expensive.
  • Options
    when i first bought them, i was fine paying for them, bcos i was the one being safe and taking precautions. was a little bit wierd tho standing in the isle browsing, cos they were always on the top shelf on their own so all the other people knew what you were looking at!!

My first b/f was pathetic though, he said he was mature enough and ready for sex, but he point blank refused to buy condoms cos "its a girls job" :eek2: :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by spongebobsgirl
    "its a girls job" :eek2: :eek2:

What a fool.
  • Options
    Ive never bought them, i always get them from a clinic thing, its easier and cheaper!:D
  • Options
    I've never had a problem with buying them. My best friend was embarassed about it so I took her with me and I think after that shes been fine. I just spend my time deciding which ones I want and go and pay for them, its no big deal.
  • Options

Yes, gossamer are meant to be a better fit. Especially if you are erm thicker lol.
  • Options
    haha, my first experience of buying condoms, the stupid twat of a friend-now arch enemy- that i was with, took my to a till with an old woman on, who could conveniently be relied upon to forget the security tag...hence embarassment with the lovely male security guard...joy. however, i now have absolutely no problem! i just buy them from anywhere but tesco...or free ones of course!
  • Options

I seem to recall that you got a nice selcetion of lots of different sorts - but mainly arousers for some reason, it certainly takes the hastle out of deciding which ones to buy plus it means you get to try out all the different ones and then find those you like.
    xx
  • Options
    Originally posted by spongebobsgirl
    he point blank refused to buy condoms cos "its a girls job"

jerk
  • Options
    I spent about three hours bagging up loose condoms to be given out to people at uni. They lose all embarassment value after that.
  • Options
    I got some fully looks when I bought two cans of red bull and a box of condoms from a servo at midnight one time :lol:
  • Options
    My ex wouldn't buy them either. He'd just hovver about the shop looking at his feet. Once we were at ASDA and we'd got the weekly shop, including condoms, but when the woman tried to put them through the bleepy thing it didn't bleep. She had to try three times and everytime my ex got paler and paler in case she shouted or something. Twas funny.:)
  • Options
    i make it my job to get them (im a guy btw)
    but i dont like the ones you get from my local clinic....theyre durex and im not trying to brag but i find that the condoms they give away are too smalland very uncomfortable....

so i buy mine online....definately cheaper than going to any shop ive found, quick delivery, shit loads of them for your money and you get ones that fit! lol

Peace
  • Options
    I find I get quite embarrased buying them, would much rather the boyfriend got them. I prefer buying them when he is with me because I get worried about what the cashier will think about me otherwise.

Don't like the ones you get from the clinic in my experience they are pretty prone to splitting.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wee_laura
    I get worried about what the cashier will think about me otherwise.

From someone who works in a supermarket, I'd say that in my opinion, it makes someone look responsible - using protection and all that. You've no need to be embarrassed, there's no reason for them to think badly of you. They're more likely to think badly of you if you were 13 and buying a pregnancy test. (No offence to any 13 year old's who've bought a pregnancy test).
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    From someone who works in a supermarket, I'd say that in my opinion, it makes someone look responsible - using protection and all that. You've no need to be embarrassed, there's no reason for them to think badly of you. They're more likely to think badly of you if you were 13 and buying a pregnancy test. (No offence to any 13 year old's who've bought a pregnancy test).

Yeah totally understand what you mean and I wouldn't think bad of anyone who bought them either. Just past experiences of snobby older ladies looking at me like I'm a piece of dirt for being careful kinda makes me wary about it now.
  • Options
    For god sake if you are too embarrassed to buy condoms then you probably shouldn't be having sex anyway.
  • Options
    My ex bought a box from a supermarket once, the woman said 'Oh I bet you'll be having fun..'. Of course my ex was highly embarrassed and so I went out and bought them from then on because he didn't have it in him to. I cussed him once because I was trying to persuade him to just get himself together and do it- he was more willinging to take risks which led to me lecturing him on the stupid risks we'd be taking just because he didn't have the balls.

I'm quite happy to browse the shelves, just reminding myself that I am being responsible and I can accept and admit to whoever that I'm having sex and so bloody what. Took them to a counter in superdrug, the woman looked at me in such disgust and her bubbly tone of voice died to down to reflect her face....I could of have slapped her! :rolleyes: some people amaze me!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    I work in a supermarket too (Tesco's of all places, never heard of them putting the condoms in security cases :crazyeyes ) and i agree with lucifer devil - if someone brings a box of condoms to my till i dont treat them any different to any other customer, at least their being safe and responsible.

I do however, find it funny when the customer stands at the end of the till watching everything going through the till, they cant take their eyes off it, as you get nearer to their box of condoms they look away, but don't know where to look and go all embarrassed...and when they pay they cant look you in the eye...i cant help but smile to myself once they've gone :lol:

I do however get abit concerned when the occasional young person comes in buying pregnancy tests... :eek2:
    Originally posted by malteser monkay
    Took them to a counter in superdrug, the woman looked at me in such disgust and her bubbly tone of voice died down to reflect her face...

Some people, you'd think they'd never seen a box of condoms before :eek: lol!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    For god sake if you are too embarrassed to buy condoms then you probably shouldn't be having sex anyway.

i actually agree wid you 150% there
  • Options
    I remember me and my ex bf went into Superdrug to buy some and we chose the ones we wanted etc and went up to the till together and the woman (who happened to be old and looked down her nose at everyone) decided she wouldn't sell them to us because we looked underage! We were 15 btw.

You can buy condoms at any age, right?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Randomgirl

:yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by **grunge gurl**
    I remember me and my ex bf went into Superdrug to buy some and we chose the ones we wanted etc and went up to the till together and the woman (who happened to be old and looked down her nose at everyone) decided she wouldn't sell them to us because we looked underage! We were 15 btw.

You can buy condoms at any age, right?
    Yes you can. But not everyone knows this.
  • Options
    *blank*
  • Options
    I think my best moment was I was back from London for the weekend and had booked a hotel room with a girly I was seeing for a bit... We popped into what used to be my local Sainsbury's for a few "supplies" hehehe :D

1 bottle vodka
    1 bottle coke
    1 tube KY Jelly (naughty girly ;) )
    1 box gossamer

;)

Anyhoo, I went to the checkout of a woman I used to work with when I was 17/18 and I think she was more embarrassed by the cheeky grin I gave her... and also by the colour my girly had turned! HAHAHAHAH!

It was only when I got to the car that I realised that in her flusteredness she'd charged me twice for the KY. Needless to say, I let that slide (HHAHAHAHA! Sorry, excuse the pun - I couldn't resist!!) and went away for naughty fun a couple of quid down! Quality.

Ooooooooo - pretty much unembarrassable, me.
  • Options
    Whoever. I remember me and my boyfriend having to run to the shops and buy dome because our last one got torn when trying to put it on (stupid long nails). We werent embarrassed then.