Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Catholic Church puts its foot in it again....

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    contraception is recorded way back to the pharo's. jhonnies made fron sheep intestines as used quite sucsessfuly up til latex etc.
    there is no command or even mention in the bible of masturbation. so it shouldn't be an issue.
    the bible actualy tells you to take great delight in your mate ...to treat each other in a fine manner ...a man should treat his bitch like a piece of fine pottery. it says to enjoy your wifes breasts. so obviously sex is there to be enjoyed ...and the fucking sperm idea is daft ...when the one sperm that got through to make me ...a bazzilion died. so how can they all be sacred.
    trouble with the churches ...they take and add as they see fit for control of your lives.
    sack 'em ...sack 'em now.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    sack 'em ...sack 'em now.
    get out of her my people ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Why exactly do the catholica think contraception is bad?

If it ain't in the bible then where did it come from?

Incidentally i believe that the Romans did in fact use primitive forms of contraception, so that it might well have existed when the Bible was being written, interesting they didn't mention it.........

Also see the Pope making some woman who died to let her kid live rather than have an abortion a saint..........

Genesis 38:8-10

"8. Then Judah said to Onan, "Go in to your brother's wife, and perform your duty as a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your brother.' 9. And Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so it came about that when he went in to his brother's wife, he wasted his seed on the ground, in order not to give offspring to his brother. 10. But what he did was displeasing in the sight of the Lord; so He took his life also."

These verses are the basis of Catholic doctrine on contraception- since the sight of a man having sexual intercourse with a woman and deliberately preventing her getting pregnant was "displeasing" to the Lord.

It is Old Testament. However, as far as I am aware Christian Doctrine accepts that all parts of the bible are true- even the old testament- unless they are contradicted by Christ (principally from the Sermon on the Mount) or the Ten Commandments. Hence stuff about killing people for not having a moustache (sic) is not Christian doctrine because the Ten commandments state "thou shalt not kill."

As for those saying that religion should not be involved in government- this is not- the Pope is simply saying that if you approve of abortion than you are guilty of sin, which is true under Catholic doctrine.

Similarly, it is entirely consistent with humanitarian concern; the Catholic church also forbids sex outside of marraige (hence promicuity). Therefore any African (or anyone else) having sex outside of marriage is not following this doctrine; and presumably wouldn't follow an order or allowance by the Pope to wear a condom.

So how is the Catholic Church wrong on this issue?
  • Options
    Originally posted by mixinmusic
    Im glad finally somebody with a little bit of fact can come in to a debate a finally silence those who dont accutually have a clue what they are talking about.
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    There is a point in carlito's argument.

Anyone who sleeps around, against Catholic doctrine, cannot then blame Catholic doctrine for not using contraception. Unless you accept it all it does not excuse nor justify any course of action.

Instead of blaming the non-use of contraception, maybe promiscuity and rape should be discouraged. But, hey, that wouldn't allow one to stick the knife into the Catholic Church.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth

Anyway, it wouldn't actually be terrible for humans because it would weed out all the weaker traits so that the fittest remain. Or something.

Well apart from the fact that it would be incredibly terrible if millions dies from starvation it certainly would not be the strongest who survived, it would be the richest and most pwerful and that is not the same thing at all......
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    There is a point in carlito's argument.

Anyone who sleeps around, against Catholic doctrine, cannot then blame Catholic doctrine for not using contraception. Unless you accept it all it does not excuse nor justify any course of action.

Instead of blaming the non-use of contraception, maybe promiscuity and rape should be discouraged. But, hey, that wouldn't allow one to stick the knife into the Catholic Church.

I do see what you mean but there are weaknesses i.e. what about widow(er)s, isn't this approach encouraging dangerous sex?
  • Options
    Also isn't the the main point of chrisitanity meant to be forgiveness?

What of those who were bad before now reformed?
  • Options
    im very duboius of the catholic church for one reason.

Panorama did a programme about the HIV/AIDS crisis in parts of the world where the catholic church has great influence.

I cant remember who exactley it was but a direct representative of the Catholic church sat in front of that camera and said 'Condoms are in effective because they are pourous and let the virus through' (just so there is no ambiguity here, he doesnt mean they might split, he means that the virus can actually pass thru the wall of the condom:eek2: )

Now they can believe whatever they want BUT putting out this sort of misinformation in areas in which they know they are influential is wrong.:mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I think we're already doing extremely well in that respect.

If every couple on the planet were to have as many children as "God gives them" mankind would have died out by now or would be about to, through a total exhaustion of the Earth's resources.

Which goes to prove (if anyone needs any proof) following the bible to the letter would actually work against mankind's very existence, and that anyone who pretends to rule their lives and those of others by a literal interpretation of it is an utter fool (amongst other things) and should be dismissed.

Yeah but if you believed in reincarnation that would be different, they believe that if the human population increases, it may be because of a decrease of another certain species.

Basically everyone believes different things, it does not make us any worse or any better. To us it may sound absurd how catholics disagree with contraception, but to CofE it seems responsible (of course if married) however to an atheist sex before marriage is fine.

It always depends who you talk to, it will always cause an arguement, looks at the wars over religion. Sometimes you have to agree to disagree!
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    Yeah but if you believed in reincarnation
    what pisses me off devil about reincarnation is that most of the people who believe in it also believe in the theory of evolution.
    the two just don't go together.
    evolution ...no inteligent design or direct ion ...meaning that chemicals etc just happened by chance over millions of years to come up with LIFE! .thats ok. but then to go on and believe that this great multitude of improbable accidents then went on to accidently build a system where you don't finaly break down like everything else in our experience and knowledge ...you restart all over again ...possibly in a completely different environment ...heaven ...hell ...or some how come back to where you just fell apart ...come on ...give common sense and knowledge a chance instead of this airy fairy bullshit the human mind can imagine ...usualy to manipulate another human.
  • Options
    Is there any significant organism that has mutated to create more chemical information thus evolving that we know about?
    i'm a bit bladdered ...but i still think it's you who are not making any sense ...please excxplain.
  • Options
    haha sorry

Evolution - is there a living creature that has evolved during our generation where we have witnessed mutation taking place and a new genetic structure being created (other than of course 3 eyed fish!!)??
    not that i know of. the monkeys are still monkeys and i'm sure they have no concept at all of an after life of any kind.
  • Options
    haha sorry

Evolution - is there a living creature that has evolved during our generation where we have witnessed mutation taking place and a new genetic structure being created (other than of course 3 eyed fish!!)??

http://www.cnn.com/2000/NATURE/01/28/fruit.flies.enn/

bacterial resistance to anti-biotics is another example
  • Options
    You're a creationist are you? LOL! :D

Your views get more and more preposterous every day!
  • Options
    As you well know mixinmusic such changes take hundreds of thousands of years- if not millions. We haven't been around long enough to record one 'live'.

But there are examples absolutely everywhere around us. Watch the Discovery Channel any time and you will see on every nature programme. From the lemurs that made it into Madagascar from mainland Africa and have evolved into 35 subspecies to the jellyfish in some Pacific island lake that got sealed off from the sea and that have since lost their tentacles as they're no longer needed... there are examples absolutely everywhere of evolution.

But then what chance there is of convincing you (if you are indeed a Creationist)? I mean, if you really believe the world is only about 6,000 years old, mankind descends from one couple that was created by a superior being and a chap built an ark and put a pair of any animal species inside to save them from the Flood and ensure the continuation of all species (yeah right) ... there is absolutely no chance of convincing you of anything. No doubt you would regard all the scientific evidence as "wrong" or "heretic".

That, as I said if you are Creationist... Pardon me if you aren't.
  • Options
    Perhaps instead of becoming personal with me Blagsta you can offer some evidence of what I questioned to this converstation.

Would care to show me evidence of when a genetic mutation has occured within an animal to create a new genetic pattern, rather than alter a genetic pattern that already exists?

Are you a creationist?
  • Options
    Have you looked at the evidence against evolution?

Yes. Its crap.

Read this

0140144811.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

But you'll only deny any evidence placed before you.
    Fundies scare me. :eek:
  • Options
    Do you also believe that Noah got one pair of each existing land species into an ark to save them from drowning?

I mean, do you seriously believe that?
  • Options
    Who are these scientists then?
  • Options
    what do you think genes are, and how genes get passed on thus eventually creating entirely new species, or are we seperate from bacteria, which mutate loads...

what about dating of bones that are human/advanced primate that come out to be 50000 years old etc etc
  • Options
    I do not study genetic science nor do I pretend to have good knowelege of the subject. I know there are well known scientists out there who although not religious do dismiss evolution.

Perhaps you should have look and find out...

More cop outs? Come on idiot boy, you can do better than that!
  • Options
    One word question, MixinMusic (and no im not in anyway trying to attack you as a person, just asking a question) one word;

*Dinosaur*:confused:

And if the answer is (as i have heard) God put those there to test our faith, doesnt that worry you? Some deity running around playing tricks on his creations

-Sticks fossil in ground-*Pat*Pat*....We will see who believes in me now:confused: :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    One word question, MixinMusic (and no im not in anyway trying to attack you as a person, just asking a question) one word;

*Dinosaur*:confused:

Reading that he was a creationist, I was just about to say this. I hope this doesn't mean it is a clichéd argument, because it is well founded and backed up with stone cold fact.
  • Options
    Reading that he was a creationist, I was just about to say this. I hope this doesn't mean it is a clichéd argument, because it is well founded and backed up with stone cold fact.

how do you mean?:confused:
  • Options
    It is bad enough that you believe in Creationism, a theory that can be disproved so easily and readily. But even if you were prepared to believe such tale I am simply shocked that you believe in the tale of Noah's Ark.

I can't even begin to describe how completely impossible and utterly absurd that notion is. If at least it suggested god had performed a miracle and kept all animals floating above the water while the Flood took care of men... well at least you could blame it on him. But to believe that a man managed to build an ark and get a pair of every land species there is and keep them in his boat until the water receded is beyond ridiculous. I could suggest looking at the size of such ark, the provisions needed, how the good chap managed to find, capture and bring back animals from all around the world (I guess Noah should be credited with discovering America and Australia shouldn't he?)... but what would be the point eh? Not very different from trying to convince an Islamic extremist that those 70 virgins waiting up in heaven as a reward for killing infidels ain't really there.

Dear oh dear...
  • Options
    I am not saying i agree with it, but you may have someone on here who disagrees with your point and finds it hightly offensive that your viewpoints are not similar.

I am saying that if you went to the far east hinduism, you would find that people believe that when you die your soul exists as another body, (reincarnation). But i am also saying that others believe that we were placed here by fate, that we will live and die and go to heaven.

These are conficting stories, if you went by the reincarnation belief the population would never grow, one species would just increase more than another. Yes to us it may sound a little silly, a little weird, we think we know because of the word science but how do we know?

A question for you, how do you know you exist? how do yu know that what you see on this site is real? and that you are not dreaming? how do you know? yes your senses may be telling you BUT you have never known any different, you may not believe in reincarnation (i dont) but how do you know you were not a frog, tiger or lion before now?

many questions that cannot be answered, i always thought they could until last week in an RE lesson at college, it taught me that not everything you see, hear taste, touch or smell is real as we have nothing to compare it to. very deep thoughts, we had to go through, but it is a belief of another religion. Surely we should be tolerant of that?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Yes. Its crap.

Read this

0140144811.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

But you'll only deny any evidence placed before you.
    Fundies scare me. :eek:

Have you read it?

Because Dawkins describes (in some detail) how evolution and creationism can be reconciled into one theory- something along the lines of God gave the primeval slime the first spark of life (created a cell nucleus with RNA able to replicate) knowing that all of his creatures and plants would evolve from that. So the plants and animals evolved once that first step was put on earth by God, until at the "missing link" stage, and then God took man's closest animal relative and added a short length of DNA (this length actually exists, and denotes man from ape) and so created man (Adam), then replicates him (clones him into female form) by taking DNA from his rib.

Did all of evolution take place on the fifth day? Well, since humans did not exist and had no concpet of time its irrelevant. How long is a day to an all knowing, all seeing God? Who says on the fifth day he didn't put the spark of life into that slime, sit back and press "fast-forward" with the laws of physics so that it actually did happen in 24 hours?
  • Options
    Haven't read it for a long time tbh.
    But mixinshite is denying the existence of evolution totally.