Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Catholic Church puts its foot in it again....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Another intresting one:

I don't think the catholic church in the Vatican or in Britain would manage to pass that through council. Although I am sure that there are enough cardinals to pass it - there should be enough contentian from those who are pro-modernisation - which is somehting the church needs to do.

M
  • Options
    The Catholic church is weird and fucked up.

Doesn't old John Paul KNOW that condoms can fight AIDS in Africa?!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    The Catholic Church denounce the use of contraception.

Contraception (especially condoms) can prevent the spread of AIDS.

Keep up fuckwit.
  • Options
  • Options
    nutcases. Churches should keep out of government policy.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    nutcases. Churches should keep out of government policy.
    Agreed. If someone wants to follow a religion, (s)he should do what that religion says. But making things legal or not depending on religion is just stupid.
  • Options
    i ahve so much i was going to say but ...another rant about the popes and bishops?
    i'll spare you. must be obvious by now what i think of them all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber

If people were monogamous and only had sex within marriage, AIDS would die out within a generation. It'll never happen, but AIDS is passed either through sex (consensual or otherwise) or drug use, both of which are against Church doctrine. The simple fact is STDs and AIDS would disappear if people kept their pants shut until marriage.

Keep up fuckwit.

Shurely shome mishtake?
  • Options

I heard you can get HIV from a mosquito bite now? :confused: Dunno if that's true.

But as kermit says, keeping it in your pants prevents the spread of AIDs more than contraception ever will.
  • Options

Keep up fuckwit.

THe Catholic Church denounces promiscuity and drug abuse, the two main causes of the spread of AIDS.

Keeping it zipped can also prevent the spread of AIDS, adhereing to Catholic doctrine will also reduce the spread.

Keep up fuckwit.
  • Options
    Re: The Catholic Church puts its foot in it again....

Hmmm, a secret ballot should prevent this from actually happeneing, but is this just a scare exercise. By putting this story out that may be affecting people's intentions...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If people were monogamous and only had sex within marriage, AIDS would die out within a generation. It'll never happen, but AIDS is passed either through sex (consensual or otherwise) or drug use, both of which are against Church doctrine. The simple fact is STDs and AIDS would disappear if people kept their pants shut until marriage.

And?

Shurely shome mishtake?

What the heck's that supposed to mean?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The simple fact is STDs and AIDS would disappear if people kept their pants shut until marriage.

:confused:

I go and have sex with someone, just one off, get AIDS

I get married to someone, have sex with them, I cannot get AIDS?

Just because they are against promiscuity, why does that logically lead to being against contraception? It doesn't
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Toadborg

I go and have sex with someone, just one off, get AIDS

I get married to someone, have sex with them, I cannot get AIDS?

Just because they are against promiscuity, why does that logically lead to being against contraception? It doesn't
    What Kermit means is that STD would not get spread if every person only had sex with ONE person in their entire life. Infected people wouldn't infect many others that way, and given the fact that if they're infected they're less likely to have children (who would have the same disease), STDs would eventually disappear.
    In an ideal world...
  • Options
    However since that is not going to happen (admirable a concept as it might be for some, lifetime monogamy is simply not a natural human property) it is highly irresponsible to threaten eternal hell and damnation for those who dare use contraception.

As far as I'm concerned the fat one should be prosecuted for criminal negiglence/involuntary manslaughter/whatever.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

As far as I'm concerned the fat one should be prosecuted for criminal negiglence/involuntary manslaughter/whatever.
    just making him and his bishops live in the real world and working for a living instead of being waited on hand and foot in palaces might teach them something. they might even be able to understand the teachings of christ from a humble and lowly stance as opposed to the high and mighty positions they hold. the most revered and the most holy my arse!
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    But if that's what the bible says then is it also not irresponsible to go against what the bible says? (Although it probably doesn't and is probably just some kind of abstraction made in biblical hindsight and fear)
    Personaly the thought of hell doesn't scare me, although earth probably is a bit of both and can never be one or the other - God what an awful thought!
    Having said that I guess seeing this shit go on being able to do little about it is torture for some.
    I can't be bothered to dig it up now but I'm sure you have seen the list of things the bible rules against... including murdering anyone who works on the sabbath, enslaving people, murdering your wife for some imaginary offence or other, killing your neighbour for not wearing a moustache (or whatever it is) and so on...

In the same way as it would be not just irresponsible but actually criminal for the pope to advocate the deaths of anyone who works on the sabbath, it is equally as irresponsible to threaten vulnerable people with eternal hell for using a condom.

Exactly the same damn thing.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by mixinmusic
    That goes against the teaching of the Bible however. If (and I do not subscribe to the Catholic view) the Bible does consider the use of a condom a sin as is the perception by Catholics then the Bible says that Christians have a duty to warn that sin will lead to your soul ending up in hell.
    the bible does not discuss contraception ...so it obviouslyu shouldn't be an issue.
    the catholics invented hell ...hell actualy means grave ...where the bible says we all end up and turn to dust. from dust you came and to dust you return.
    otherwise ...the god of the bible might as well be called hitler.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mixinmusic
    I do not intend to disput what you have said. I am mearly placing the argument fourth that this is what those people believe and their good book wants them to tell everyone about their belief.
    but surely your belief and or faith should be based on some kind of experience and or knowledge or it's blind faith. there good book does not menion contraception ...so it wasn't an issue.
    there good book says don't be called father in a religous sense ...don't bow before idols or offer them sacrifice prayer or offerings ...are they smoking the same bible as me?
  • Options
  • Options
    Well then all the more reason for the fat one and his mafia to keep his mouth shut and stop threatening people with eternal damnation for using johnnies, since he does not know what good old J. H. Christ would think of it.
  • Options
    Why exactly do the catholica think contraception is bad?

If it ain't in the bible then where did it come from?

Incidentally i believe that the Romans did in fact use primitive forms of contraception, so that it might well have existed when the Bible was being written, interesting they didn't mention it.........

Also see the Pope making some woman who died to let her kid live rather than have an abortion a saint..........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Why exactly do the catholica think contraception is bad?
    Must be the time-honoured catholic maxim that anything that brings you pleasure is a sin. Thus sexual intercourse should only take place for the creation of life, masturbation is deeply wrong, and so on...
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Plus, God gave all living things a direct order - "Go forth and multiply."
    I think we're already doing extremely well in that respect.

If every couple on the planet were to have as many children as "God gives them" mankind would have died out by now or would be about to, through a total exhaustion of the Earth's resources.

Which goes to prove (if anyone needs any proof) following the bible to the letter would actually work against mankind's very existence, and that anyone who pretends to rule their lives and those of others by a literal interpretation of it is an utter fool (amongst other things) and should be dismissed.
  • Options
  • Options
    Well I was looking at it from the angle that we have always taken measures to limit the number of offspring we have- simply because most people could not afford 16-child families. Had the human race taken the advice of the catholic church and 'multiplied' at will, the world's population would be by now... what? 20 billion? 35 billion? The planet would not be able to cope and mankind would have died out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Plus, God gave all living things a direct order - "Go forth and multiply."

God told everyone to "Fuck Off!"? :eek: