Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Looking after the ill, American style

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Health Tourism in UK

Not a figment of my or the Ministers imagination I would assume:rolleyes:

Funny how doctors are critical of these new rules.
    And you conveniently ignore this
    Dr Edwin Borman, chairman of the BMA's international committee, questioned whether there was any evidence that health tourism was a significant problem.
    Like, hey Man!

You really are quite insane aren't you?
  • Options
    I'm not sure this story really holds up your view point. They are saying its a problem but they have no actual figures to back that up.

Yes, it does happen, everyone will admit that, but its really not a huge issue. And to extrapolate from this to an anti-immigration stance doesnt make sense.
  • Options
    Doctors have attacked the plans, saying they do not want to question sick people about their immigration status.

I'm sure if I were a doctor, I wouldn't want a new task to perform, it will take time, resources and may arouse hostility

If I were the HMGov i'd see it as beneficial to UK as it would save resources and be one less pull-factor to the UK
  • Options
    As for plans to deny treatment to failed asylum seekers, he described these as "utterly unacceptable".

A spokeswoman for the Royal College of Nursing said: "We would be extremely concerned with any government proposals that could affect the relationship of trust between nurses and patients and that would endanger patient care."

But we could be here all day, quoting things that back up our points of view. But I'll never come round to your way of thinking, mainly because you seem to live in some kind of bizarre parallel universe where everyone not like you is out to screw you over.
    You must be a right barrel of laughs at parties...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    You must be a right barrel of laughs at parties...

Shame its empty.
  • Options
    Blagsta
    You must be a right barrel of laughs at parties

As long as they're not playing reggae or a lot of the stuff that you seem fond of(i have to hear a lot of ragga? at a place of workas a clown near me plays it):)
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess Skrewdriver or Blood & Honour would be more your style.
  • Options
    Or some equally inane BNP theme tune.

As for the NHS, I think it's a wonderful idea. However I believe a private system alongside it is great.
    I've noticed distinct improvements at my local GP, yes you still have to wait a bit when you get there but thats dependant on other patients.

Dentists however, they do seem to be experiencing some problems, not enough NHS dentists e.t.c.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Or some equally inane BNP theme tune.

As for the NHS, I think it's a wonderful idea. However I believe a private system alongside it is great.
    I've noticed distinct improvements at my local GP, yes you still have to wait a bit when you get there but thats dependant on other patients.

Dentists however, they do seem to be experiencing some problems, not enough NHS dentists e.t.c.

I agree with the dentist thing. At the same dentist my parents are private but ive been taken on as an N.H.S. patient since i was little. A good thing too because rebuilding various teeth i have broken would have cost loads (Though i rechipped a rebuilt tooth recently, great:rolleyes: )
  • Options
    Yeah, the dental system is fucked.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Yeah, the dental system is fucked.
    thanks to maggie hatchet.
  • Options
    Opposition politicians have also questioned the proposals, calling on ministers to provide hard evidence that there actually is a problem.

Even the Tories are saying that they are unsure of the existence of "health tourism".

Doesn't that tell you something?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    thanks to maggie hatchet.

:rolleyes:

Pay dentists a decent NHS wage and they won't have to become private consultants.

But hey, they're doing a public service so they shouldn't be allowed to make a decent living.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    But hey, they're doing a public service so they shouldn't be allowed to make a decent living.

But didn't you agree with nurses being paid more? I know there is a big difference between what an NHS nurse and an NHS dentist earns, but still.
  • Options
    A whale of an assumption

You deny then? All of it?
    Plus an implied moral judgement about those who acquire STD's (not practised in GUM clinics, I note)

Indeed, an implied moral judgement. Am I not allowed to judge people who don't take simple precaution to help avoid STDs?

and you need to look more at the role of some GUM clinics.
    Any moral judgement forthcoming about those 71% of hetero HIV cases of African origin putting just a teensy bit of strain on the NHS?

Yes. Given that the western world have fucked African people over for the past few centuries, given that pharma companies are trying to rip them off, given that their own governments (in some cases) won't help, given that education stadrds are poor, given that I am a human being, my moral judgement is that we should help these people.

I would also love to know where you get the 71% stat from, and what you define as "african origin".

Also, you haven't backed up your claim that I fabircate information to fit a political agenda. Do you withdraw that comment, or a re you going to back it up?

@ Mr Roll. Dentistry has been equally bollocksed by the current Govt, you cannot blame Thatcher completely. One of the reasons that we have a shortage is the closure of dentistry schools which happened under this Govt.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    @ Mr Roll. Dentistry has been equally bollocksed by the current Govt, you cannot blame Thatcher completely. One of the reasons that we have a shortage is the closure of dentistry schools which happened under this Govt.
    so i'm old and out of touch.
    thanks for the update. my head is often stuck in the 80's. the days of childrens milk and childrens teeth being taken in the night by an old witch.
    i'll try and keep up MOK.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    But didn't you agree with nurses being paid more? I know there is a big difference between what an NHS nurse and an NHS dentist earns, but still.

I presume you mean DISagree, in which case, no, I didn't.

It's unfair to blame Thatcher for the state of dentistry- it wasnt Thatcher who brought in tuition fees and student loans, meaning dentists need to earn every penny they can to pay off debt, and, as MoK says, it wasnt Thatcher that shut dentistry schools.
  • Options
    I as MoK says, it wasnt Thatcher that shut dentistry schools.
    me no comprendo.
    who ...how ...why?
    you mean the uk have NO dentistry schools ...like it makes sense to stop teaching mechanics and plummers?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    me no comprendo.
    who ...how ...why?
    you mean the uk have NO dentistry schools ...like it makes sense to stop teaching mechanics and plummers?

I think that there is only one now and they don't have enough graduates to fill the vacancies left by retirements every year. Effectively the number of dentists will drop year-on-year...
  • Options
    I'm sure if I were a doctor, I wouldn't want a new task to perform, it will take time, resources and may arouse hostility

I bloody well hope not.

I would hope that doctors would want to treat people to make them better, whatever the situation...........
  • Options
    postcode lottery NHS UK

All's not so rosy in NHS garden

hiv stats UK

Of the heterosexual infections diagnosed in the UK, most were acquired abroad. In the UK, HIV has had a devastating effect on communities of people from parts of Africa where HIV has taken hold. 71% of heterosexually acquired HIV infections diagnosed in the UK in 2000/2001 were in people from Africa, or were associated with exposure there. Most of the African infection were acquired in East Africa but the impact of the epidemics in Southern and Western Africa is likely to contribute to new diagnoses.

Man Of Kent
    I would also love to know where you get the 71% stat from, and what you define as "african origin".

Also, you haven't backed up your claim that I fabircate information to fit a political agenda. Do you withdraw that comment, or a re you going to back it up?

I was suggesting NuLab fabricate information to fit a political agenda, not you
  • Options
    postcode lottery NHS UK

hiv stats UK

Yes, let's look at that...

"Dr Jocelyn Cornwell, Chi's acting chief executive, said: "Trusts are taking the involvement of patients more seriously and we are more regularly seeing care being organised around the needs of patients, rather than around the convenience of the NHS. The way that services have traditionally been organised is changing, particularly to reduce waiting times."

So service improvements are happening, based around patient need. How awful...

"we have not seen enough progress. We are most concerned that there is still too much variation in the care provided within hospitals and across hospitals, depending on where a patient gets treated"

The word "enough" is important here. Again this is because progress is being made. I would agree that it isn't enough, but then I would argue that we will always be able to do better because circumstances change.

The last part is interesting though, the comment about local differences. It is contradicted by this...

"Performance targets have driven improvements to care but should not replace local response to patients' needs."

Local response means that services around the country will differ because local needs differ. It's a fairly simple concept.

I wouldn't argue will the comment that some services are of "unacceptable" standard. But then if they weren't, why would I be here?
    I was suggesting NuLab fabricate information to fit a political agenda, not you

..and where do you think that they get their information?

BTW Thanks for HIV information.
  • Options
    postcode lottery NHS UK

The roses are coming up nicely, thank you

Care to comment?
  • Options
    That's all to the good, i mean heavens, I might get ill some time :eek:

i do occasionally read that UK has higher mortality rates than other developed countries but I'd have to look that up
  • Options
    Yes it does, if you compare us with say the French we are really quite unhealthy.

But that really hasnt got a great deal to do with the NHS per say. Its far more to do with diet, smoking, exercise...etc.

Although having said that the French are a mystery, no-one knows why they are healthy.
  • Options
    The roses are coming up nicely, thank you

Care to comment?

The NHS saying that the NHS is doing well.

Would they say anything to the contrary?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Although having said that the French are a mystery, no-one knows why they are healthy.

Because they have red wine, garlic and fresh fish in their diet (all proven to reduce the levels fo free-radicals in the body) and low levels of saturated fat in their cooking.

It's why the Italians are so healthy as well, and why the Scottish are so unhealthy.
  • Options
    The NHS saying that the NHS is doing well.

Would they say anything to the contrary?

They have in the past, as they have as part of thise report.

Worth noting the membership of this group too... and the comments of the BMA who aren't known to heap too much praise of modernisation.
  • Options
    They have in the past, as they have as part of thise report.

Worth noting the membership of this group too... and the comments of the BMA who aren't known to heap too much praise of modernisation.

Oh, definitely.

My point is more about independence, and how there is no such thing. Those employed by the GOvernment are not going to make the Government look like idiots (especially when health was the #1 issue at the 2001 election) and those employed by the NHS aren't going to come out and say "the NHS is decrepid, the managers are crap and they should all be sacked", simply because one does not criticise one's employer too much.
  • Options
    Those employed by the GOvernment are not going to make the Government look like idiots (especially when health was the #1 issue at the 2001 election)

You think?

Then why did we have a circulation this week about not making any "political" statements in the run up to an election in this case from 20th May?

This is something which applies to all civil servants and is designed to stop us from doing precisely that.
    ] and those employed by the NHS aren't going to come out and say "the NHS is decrepid, the managers are crap and they should all be sacked", simply because one does not criticise one's employer too much.

You jest, surely.

We will defend it from unwarranted criticism, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't criticise it myself.

For example it wouldn't be a good idea to get me started on the recent case of a black nurse being "banned" from treated a white child at the parents request.

Sacking is too good for some people.