Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Looking after the ill, American style

I lived without part of my skull.

Seriously, I defy anyone to read that story and then tell me that free healthcare for all is not the way to go.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's disgusting beyond words. :mad:

Once again, a country that prides itself in being 'caring and Christian' puts money before human beings.

At least she lives to tell the tale. Not too long ago a wounded man died lying on the pavement outside a hospital while paramedics argued with hospital management over who was going to foot the bill of his treatment. By the time the hospital agreed to take him in it was too late.

May this be another reminder to those who don't believe in a public health system.
  • Options
    What the hell is wrong with you???
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    is this bashing america again?

It's bashing their opinion on health "care".
  • Options
    This is a DISCUSSION BOARD where people get to discuss subjects.

If you want to discuss, say, the barbarity commited by those people who chopped that American's head off, I'm sure everyone will join in.

In this instance we're discussing a disgusting situation in which money is put before people's health. Either make a positive contribution to the discussion or stay away from it. Please spare us this US-bashing bullshit.
  • Options
    See my previous post, edited because I pressed 'enter' by accident before I had finished posting.
  • Options
    It is NOT anti-Americanism.

This is not against the people of America, but against the SYSTEM/GOVERNMENT.

Do you understand the difference?

And as I said, if there is anything that worries your mind start a new thread and we'll talk about it. Refrain from saying "the other side is the same" or "you're bashing them" if you don't want to contribute anything to the debate.

But anyway, let's put that to a side now because I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the case Kermit has put forward here.
  • Options
    That is quite sick. But no people are unwilling to part from their money to pay taxes for a decent health care service over there. Personally I fail to see how any society can cope without a free health care service. The private sector should be abolished.
  • Options
    This is the sort of health care system that sole liber and LabRat want. Not pleasant is it?
  • Options
    Hardly anything bothers or shocks me but OMG that is fucked up!
  • Options
    I've got quite a lot of personal experience with both America and Americans. In the main they are a nice and friendly people, but there is really no getting away that there are big problems there.

Someone in my family has had a similar (though not quite as serious, but actually quite close) experience. This however was to do with 'Workmans Comp", bunch of fuckers. This is no-where near an isolated incident.

However, they couldnt really have an NHS like us because of their size, it would just take too much organisation. However on a State level it could and should be made to work.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    This is the sort of health care system that sole liber and LabRat want. Not pleasant is it?
    That's what I thought as well... Provate health care is just crazy, where the haves get treated better than the have nots... Thank good I live in Scotland where some of my earnings go towards ensuring this kind of thing doesn't happen!
  • Options
    Thats sick, Like ive said before, the world would be a much better place without America
  • Options
    Now be fair. The world would be a much nicer place without American unilateral might perhaps and certainly without an operating principle of rushing to apply force to advance corporate interests, but America itself is full of decent people who respect other cultures and peoples and get on just fine with all but the most rabid hardliners.

No America, No me and i dont like that idea! ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by solid_L
    Thats sick, Like ive said before, the world would be a much better place without America

No need for comments like this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    is this bashing america again?

Remember Luke that America doesn't love you as much as you love it.
    Do you not agree with the NHS then Luke?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    The private sector should be abolished.
    I wouldn't go quite that far. For instance I wouldn't want my tax money to pay for plastic surgery or for laser eye treatment, so they should be done by the private sector. But for life-threatening conditions, free medical treatment should exist.
  • Options
    No response from the libertarians I see..........

Looking froward to it when it comes........:rolleyes:
  • Options
    If we were to start afresh would UK be well advised to provide a free at delivery pont service, doubt it. Germany has an element of payment/insurance (GP visits paid for) and ppl ther earen't walking around with half a skull (better than none, of course:D )

Like the Welfare State the NHS is great in principle but is gargantuan and open to abuse
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Like the Welfare State the NHS is great in principle but is gargantuan and open to abuse

But the cost of the absue is significantly less than the benefit of the principle.

Personally, I agree with private medical care if you can afford it, but there has to be a safety net. The Canadian system is again public insurance, as it is in Australia, and that system is fine too- there is the safety net that doesn't leave you with a hockey mask instead of a skull.
  • Options
    lukesh, I am also against the "America-bashing" as you call it. But it would be just as bad to ignore it's faults. There is a way, where you can look towards the states without seeing devil-horns while keeping a critical eye.
    Going extreme on either accounts is in my opinion just as bad.
  • Options
    What abuse are you referring to?
  • Options
    Toadborg
    What abuse are you referring to?

My friend's ex's Korean parents health-touristing into UK for extensive treatment no passport checks. World and it's wife using NHS

Missed appointments supposed to be of significance, not paid for for not taken v. serously

Seems a bit useless to me always a wait for an appointment
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    My friend's ex's Korean parents health-touristing into UK for extensive treatment no passport checks. World and it's wife using NHS

Sounds like you're making stuff up again...
  • Options
    Yes people use the NHS when they are not tax payers, and yes there are so-called 'health tourists' but the numbers are very small and given the NHS budget actually are quite meaningless in relation.

Of course they shouldnt happen, and frankly I would like to see some sort of ID check when you come in for an opperation, more to just make sure everything works properly than any other reason.

There also needs to be better communication between hospitals and GP's, but then thats a slightly seperate issue.
  • Options
    I am sure health tourism does happen but as far as I know it is as bongbudda says minute in scale.

Interesting article in paper recently about people going abroard for healthcare, British people, weird..............:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Well, you have to give to ladymuck. She's got quite a talent...

If someone started a thread on, say, why the dinosaurs became extinct, you can bet your arse ladymuck would manage to pin the blame on immigrants in no time.

Ladymuck, I salute you.
  • Options
    Well everyone knows it was because one set of scrounging dinosors came accross to another section, bringing all their illnesses and sponging off the others.
  • Options
    Must've been those damned Arctic dinosaurs who brought their bloody ice flow with them!
  • Options
    Well they came here under a messed up 'student visa' then because of the confusion were allowed to bring their ice flow along later, which they used to dilute the native culture.
  • Options
    And let's not forget all those Russian woolly mammoths roaming their way through Europe and eating everything in their path.

Send them back I say!