Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Looking after the ill, American style

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Speaking of immigration and it's so-called downsides:
    ladymuck, you might want to take a look at LSE.
    Probably the most succesful university in England along with OxBridge (and among the best in the world) - and if you look at statistics around half of the students there come from outside Britain.
    Surely that must say something.
  • Options
    It says a lot more about how much outside students pay than anything else actually.
  • Options
    At a guess I would say that lmuck will not approve..........
  • Options
    Outside students pay just as much for other English universities, yet the amount of foreigners is not as great as the LSE and neither is the reputation.
  • Options
    Oh, certainly, I know what you mean. I'm just not sure how you can extrapolate from lots of outside students at LSE to immigration being a good thing. Maybe I'm just a bit thick and I'm missing the point.

Not that I am disagreeing with you though, I am someone who thinks we could and should take in more people.
  • Options
    I suspect that the large number of foreign students at LSE reflects the lure of London to some degree.

Most Chinese people probably have not heard of Sheffield or birmingham, or Durham but they will certainly have heard of London........
  • Options
    In short -

Ladymuck: Immigrants are bad
    Tal: How would you then explain the success of the LSE who has about 50% of it's students being from outside Britain?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    I suspect that the large number of foreign students at LSE reflects the lure of London to some degree.

Most Chinese people probably have not heard of Sheffield or birmingham, or Durham but they will certainly have heard of London........

Oxford and Cambridge are not in London either :p

Either way, you're right to some extent. But it is a school with an international reputation for it's field.
  • Options
    i didn't intend to derail a NHS thread into an immigration one but given the scale of immigration into London /SE I'd be v. surprised if there was great pressure on NHS from new arrivals. certainly seems so when in a queue

That goes for schools, housing, social services... Maybe it should be taken as read

As for those LSE students, they aren't necessarily immigrants just overseas students. Red Herring
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    i didn't intend to derail a NHS thread into an immigration one

Well why are you then? Can't you talk about something else?
  • Options
    LadyMuck; Your arguements would hold water, IF the NHS was indeed having problems, shame really for your point that by all the markers I have read its improving.

Oh, and the fact that quite a bit of the 'flood of immigrants' are working in the NHS.
  • Options
    I mentioned it as it was relevant so it's not derailment
    shame really for your point that by all the markers I have read its improving.

I don't believe a word of it

MRSA infections, same old long queues
  • Options
    I mentioned it as it was relevant so it's not derailment

Rubbish. You're the one who brings immigration into every thread. Anyone would think you're plugging a certain agenda...

MRSA infections, same old long queues

I've unfortuntately had to have a load of tests and see a few consultants at Guy's recently and the waiting times for referrals are good (no more than 3 months for initial and about one month for subsequent referalls), I've been seen within 30 minutes of my appointment time, they're being very thorough in their investigations etc.
    They're pretty good ime.
  • Options
    But its not the same old long ques, waiting times are reducing the country over.

Its all very well bitching about all these immigrants flooding the system, but with no evidence what so ever to back it up you....

Oh, I cant be arsed, whats the point?

Yes, your right LadyMuck, I cant see how I was so wrong, I really dont want to get involved in ANOTHER fucking stupid deathly dull arguement over immigration.
  • Options
    Yes please... let's get back to this thread's original topic or let it die.

Perhaps the mods should consider make a sticky thread called 'immigration' where those so worried by the "waves of bogus asylum seekers" and "illegal immigrants flooding our country" can air their concerns. That way we can at least get rid of the other 5 or 6 threads on the subject.
  • Options

MRSA infections

Please explain this. Do you think that the infection rate has increased, or the detection rate?
    same old long queues

Same as when?

In 1997 you would wait days to see a GP, 18 months+ to see a Surgeon and then another 18 moths+ for the actual operation. You had no choice but to sit and wait.

If you need treatment in A&E, it wasn't unusual to have to wait more than 10 hours.

In 2004 you are guaranteed an appointment with you GP within 48 hours (or a nurse with 24 hours), you will wait a maximum 17 weeks to see a surgeon, and nine months for an operation. With effect from Aptil 2004 if you were waiting more than six months for an operation then you can choose to go eleswhere for treatment. In March 2005 the maximum wait will be six months for an operation.

In A&E over 90% of people are treated, admitted, or discharged withing four hours.

So please ladymuck, what "same old long queues" are you talking about?
  • Options
    48 hours to see your doctor! Not with mine. I have to wait a week at least to see mine.

But then I guess if I phone up and insist its really important I get seen straight away. But thats not quite the point is it. How am I supposed to really know if its really important, I'm not the doctor.
  • Options
    Oh just to add something about the US (and other) Healthcare system.

The NHS is undergoing the biggest reform ever attempted by an organisation of it's size in the world.

The US, Australian, French (plus others) are watching what we do, and learning from us. I personally have show the French Healthcare System a better way to treat patients for eye surgery.

Yes, patients come over here for treatment. Funnily enough we have a system where we bill national governments for treating their citizens. Incidentally, it's why you need E111 when you travel. Invoices are sent to Embassies for settlement.

Now, I don't dispute that many of these other systems have better equipment and nicer buildings. But I can guarantee that they don't have beeter healthcare.

Which, ultimately, is what we are there for.
  • Options
    Man Of Kent
    Please explain this. Do you think that the infection rate has increased, or the detection rate?

Maybe both have increased. certainly a topic now, didn't used to be
    In 2004 you are guaranteed an appointment with you GP within 48 hours (or a nurse with 24 hours), you will wait a maximum 17 weeks to see a surgeon, and nine months for an operation. With effect from Aptil 2004 if you were waiting more than six months for an operation then you can choose to go eleswhere for treatment. In March 2005 the maximum wait will be six months for an operation.

NuLab wish-list. We shall see

GUM clinics are in a bad way in Enfield/Haringey as my friend discovered

If there are tangible improvements it doesn't negate the need to address health-tourism, entitlement generally. Anything can improve if money is thrown at it or should I say be presented as showing mprovement
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    48 hours to see your doctor! Not with mine. I have to wait a week at least to see mine.

But then I guess if I phone up and insist its really important I get seen straight away. But thats not quite the point is it. How am I supposed to really know if its really important, I'm not the doctor.

Are you asking to see a specific doctor, or just anyone at your practice? That makes a difference, because clearly your GP will want some time off ;) so 48 hours access cannot be guaranteed.

If you are saying that you cannot get to see a GP within 24 hours, then you should contact your local PCT and complain. It's a national standard.
  • Options
    i didn't intend to derail a NHS thread into an immigration one but given the scale of immigration into London /SE I'd be v. surprised if there was great pressure on NHS from new arrivals. certainly seems so when in a queue

That goes for schools, housing, social services... Maybe it should be taken as read

As for those LSE students, they aren't necessarily immigrants just overseas students. Red Herring

And what about all the immigrants who work in these areas thus boosting the capacity of these orgamnisations, at a guess I would say immigrants more than sort themselves out with regards to the Nhs, thus helping people like YOU......
  • Options
    I always try and see the same GP because otherwise you end up having to explain the whole thing again.

And I always have to wait at least a week to see him, sometimes up to 2 weeks. Maybe he just doesnt like me.
  • Options

It never used to be a topic because it never used to exist. It is a mutation.

That we find more cases is actually a reflection of the fact that we look for it now, whereas we never did five years ago. Comparisons with then and now are irrelevant.
    NuLab wish-list. We shall see

Then open your fucking eyes because that is what is actually hapenning. The only part of my comments which were for the future was the waiting times for March 2005.

Possibly they are. But then I can't remember mentioning them...

This might be because we are looking at other areas. Some people are never satisfied, do you want every aspect of the Health Service to be sorted immediately then?
    If there are tangible improvements it doesn't negate the need to address health-tourism, entitlement generally.

Your perception on health tourism you mean. Do you have any evidence to support your view points?
    Anything can improve if money is thrown at it or should I say be presented as showing mprovement

You can fuck right off, I take that as a personal insult.

You are questioning my integrity with absolutely no back up. You are talking about the work that I do, the results I acheive and you are apparently suggesting that I "massage" these for spin.

I don't work for any political party, I work for the patients and I make a real difference to them and to their care.

Now if that doesn't fit your vision of the world, or your political agenda then I am sorry. It's still the truth.
  • Options

Whats that got to do with immigration? You blaming MRSA on foreigners? LOL! I think most people would blame it on over prescription of anti-biotics.

I got seen the same day at the GUM clinic last year. Yes, I had to wait 4 hours to be seen, but I didn't have to make an appointment. Had to wait 2 weeks for results though, which was a bit tense...
    If there are tangible improvements it doesn't negate the need to address health-tourism, entitlement generally. Anything can improve if money is thrown at it or should I say be presented as showing mprovement

Really? Got any evidence for "health tourism"? (apart from your made up stories). In your world, things may be getting better, but we still need to sort out those dirty foreigners eh? :rolleyes:
  • Options

Let's go back to this statement again, shall we?

Rather than concentrate on health tourism, perhaps we could talk about people lving in this country taking a little more responsibility for their own health. Actions such as eating a better diet, exercising, not smoking (yes I am a hypocrite here) and using contraception would mean that we needed less investment in our health service.

Too many people see it as a fall back position, meaning that they can take whatever risks they like, because the NHS will be there for them. Of course, when they use it, some people complain about it.

Well, stop wasting resources and there will be an even better service.

But we don't. We'd rather sit back in our confortable chairs, tapping away at our keyboards complaining about those people who don't necessarily have these choices, or access to a healthcare system like ours.

You complain about how bad our services is, and then complain about people travelling here for their treatment. Don't you see the contradiction there?

If our service is so bad, why would they come?

Ad now for a couple of assumptions...

1. That your "friend" was treated - and is now better.

2. That, given your dislike for immigrants, she is a good white english girl. With an STD. Now, can we get back to how "dirty" those immigrants are...?
  • Options
    Your right about prevention.

I've heard that the French healthcare system is amoung the best in the world, but then they live longer and are healthier than everyone except the Japanese. So they need it less.

Obesity, drinking and smoking cost the NHS many billions, a reduction in them would mean far more money to spend on non-preventable illness.
  • Options
    That, given your dislike for immigrants, she is a good white english girl. With an STD. Now, can we get back to how "dirty" those immigrants are...?

A whale of an assumption

Plus an implied moral judgement about those who acquire STD's (not practised in GUM clinics, I note)

Any moral judgement forthcoming about those 71% of hetero HIV cases of African origin putting just a teensy bit of strain on the NHS?
  • Options
    Any moral judgement forthcoming about those 71% of hetero HIV cases of African origin putting just a teensy bit of strain on the NHS?

Let's blame the Africans!

:rolleyes:

Are the 60,000 news cases on AIDS each year exclusively in Africans? No? Well shut teh fuck up then.

Unless you think that different races shouldn't sleep with each other. Which scarily I think you might do.
  • Options
    All HIV is quite probably of African origin, AND, whats your point?

All mankind is quite probably of African origin as well.
  • Options
    Health Tourism in UK

Not a figment of my or the Ministers imagination I would assume:rolleyes:

Kermit
    Are the 60,000 news cases on AIDS each year exclusively in Africans? No? Well shut teh fuck up then.

Who said they were, foulmouth?

bongbudda

All mankind is quite probably of African origin as well.

Like, hey Man!