Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shopping ethically

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Yes, and I do shop ethically if I can. But don't kid yourself that its actually making a huge difference. I guess my problem with it, is that it is often seen as enough and discourages people from getting involved more politically.
    Rome wasnt built in a day. I think if thats all someone feels able to do, then thats OK. As long as theyre doing something. You dont have to be hugely politically active to just make a few changes in your shopping basket, and if enough individual people just didnt buy a really unethical product and bought an ethical version instead, that would hit the big companies where it really hurt - in the pocket.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Maybe it isn't making a huge difference but it is creating awareness and it is better than nothing. You can't be arsed to say much these last few days Blagsta, go on, share your wisdom with us......... ;)
  • Options
    Free trade would seem like a good idea in terms of food because it would then give developing countries a "fair"chance of entering our markets.

But its not as simple as that. Developing countries do not have to adhear to any, or at least few, of the enviromental standards and animal welfare guidlines we have to. Therefore it isnt fair trade because farmers here have to adhear to these standards.

I think the best way forward would be to get rid of export subsidies, by which the EU and US can dump food on the developing world at under the cost they can produce it.

Then, IF and only if, developing countries adhear to our enviromental standards they can compete without import tarrifs. If they are producing goods under our standards then they get hit with tarrifs, simple.

Personally I buy British food when I can because in the main I think it tastes better, this is especially true with strawberries, there are NO others that compete.

However, I do buy things like suger snap peas from developing countries. Of course there are the air miles involved in this, but there is also a good cash crop for countries that need it.

For example, I am a big fan of Tree Ripened Mangos from Peru. These are probably quite a high profit item for the farmer (and supermarket). This could well be a viable alternative to coca, or suger/coffee or other valueless crops.

Also the question remains, if we get rid of the CAP and farming dies in this country, what the hell do we do with the countryside?!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    I shop cheaply mate.
    Most of this "ethical" food costs nearly twice as much, bollocks to it.

:lol:
  • Options
    How can one even be sure that it actually IS fair trade? Coz it sez so ont tin?

Yeah sure...you've got expensive packaging, shipping it from 3000 miles away, the 3/4 different companies that will be used to distribute it...after everyone from the EU countries envolved take their cut, you're left with a £10 bar of chocolate that the producer gets 3.7 pence for.

Brilliant.
  • Options
    i do my best and thats all that can be expected of each and every oen of us. ok to the big multinationals if we boycott them for unethical ways then the loss of income to them from one purchase is a drop in the ocean compared to their billion dollar profit lines but if we all do it liettle by little we can effect change. we may not make a difference overnight but we can certainly feel better in own minds and conscience that we are doing things about issues we feel deeply about.

i personally do not approve of animal testing for COSMETIC reason *i need to make it clear that for medical reasons i.e saving lives its ok* and therefore i choose to avoid products from some of the largest multinationals. to them the loss of the income from me isnt much but what if more people like me did this, the loss of income combined should certainly dent their profits to make them sit up and least take notice of us. well i wish, i know that isnt reality, they will just try and eek money out of people who do like what they are doing even more.

i also boycott Nestlé for their violations for the international code of marketing of breatmilk subsitutes and i buy fairtrade as much as possible although that doesnt always occur. the lack of income from my purchases again may not hurt their vastly inflated turnover, but i dont care, if i dont like what they are doing, why should i suppor them?

our family trys to buy organice as much as possible and we also buy thigns from shops nearer to home when we can although it is sometimes necessary to go to the supermarket, we buy recycled and we take bottles and stuff like that to the recycling bins. i think the rest of the house is more concerned with environmental stuff whereas i am more into the whole boycotting thing although ive never been that politically active, although i do admti to supporting the scottish socilists which mum doesnt like too much as they are seen as a bunch of anarchists.

i guess im trying to say that although our parts may not be seen as much, we can still do our teensy bit and make a difference and care about how our spending impacts across the world. the big multinationals dont give a damn about the issues, so we if we can should care.

thanks to everyone here, and big thumbs up to all who care passionately in their causes and issues.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

Also the question remains, if we get rid of the CAP and farming dies in this country, what the hell do we do with the countryside?!

Just let it be natural....

You seem to care about animals more than humans?
  • Options
    Turn it into national parks then?

Just let it go completely?

Oh, certainly a lot of it could be turned into parkland of some sort but a lot of it just isnt practicle. The land is in too small chunks.

Personally I'd rather see an extension of the enviromental schemes under which farmers get set-aside subsidy or payments for planting trees.

Plus there is the issue as to what to do with the farmers? Re-train them all to do what, and more importantly where?

Also, if we are to produce less and less food here are we not relying too much on others. I am not suggesting that we try and grow everything here, but some is a good idea.

Both shipping and air transport are getting much more expencive, that means higher food prices if we import.
  • Options
    Well yes but the point is that the imported food is still likely to be cheaper on arrival.

I think there are areas where farms can prosper, crops suited to British climate, maybe Biomass energy fuel?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Plant lots of trees. We could become a huge exporter of wood.:D
  • Options
    Dont bloody talk to me about Biomass, the bastards having been fucking that up for ages!

I did my disscertation on this topic and one of my key recommendations was that Biomass was a good way forward.

The week after I handed it in the largest biomass project in the UK went bust and the failure was in all the papers! Gits.

You are right though it is a viable way forward, either SRC (short rotation coppice) or other things. There are HUGE EU grants for this and the UK government is supposed to be helping too.

The subsidies for farmers are all in place all they need now is a market for the stuff. Grants and help need to be given for places to burn this stuff. But then no-one will want it 'in their back garden' will they.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Why try to buy British?

Do you think British stuff is better, or cheaper?

I always thought that buying British as opposed to 3rd world would be better for a whole host of reasons.

Quality, we win hands down. Safety, again our food is checked more stringently.
    And thirdly, Do you agree, ethically speaking that it is fair to force farmers in the 3rd world to sell their food to us instead of their own people?
  • Options
    Its not as simple as that is it. Not all 3rd world people are starving are they. Do you see many exports from Sudan at the moment?

Talk about generalisations.

Exports from countries such as Peru, Guatamala, Zambia etc bring in valuble money which helps the people there.

You cant just lump all '3rd world' countries together, there are gradients you know.
  • Options
    3rd world countries are 3rd world for a reason, there are no gradiations between 3rd world countries.
    The only geographically and sociologically recognised differences are between 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
    3rd world countries are marked out by their extreme poverty and poor conditions for the majority of people. Lack of developed infrastructure, lack of education and ammenities and a lack of food and clean water.
    If Sudan has all of them then it ceases being a 3rd world country and becomes a 2nd world country.

If given the choice between food from here, or there i would choose it from here.
    I concern myself far more with the fate of people in this country than I do people from others.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    And thirdly, Do you agree, ethically speaking that it is fair to force farmers in the 3rd world to sell their food to us instead of their own people?

Yes, ethically its not on. Unfortunately, a lot of so called "free" trade rules force some 3rd world farmers into this position.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Yes, ethically its not on. Unfortunately, a lot of so called "free" trade rules force some 3rd world farmers into this position.

This is wrong.

People starve because they have no money or power, not because there is not enough food.......
  • Options
    who else doesn't buy coca cola. I don't because of their actions against colombian workforce and unions.