Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shopping ethically

Personally I try and do most of my shopping at Waitrose because its the only supermarket I have any trust isnt raping producers of food left right and centre.

I also avoid buying food from isreal due to their appauling human rights record.

Do you attempt to shop morally?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I shop cheaply mate.
    Most of this "ethical" food costs nearly twice as much, bollocks to it.
  • Options
    I dont in the main buy fair trade, except with my coffee, but thats more because I really like the brand I get.

I just mean I attempt to buy British veg when I can and I nearly always buy my meat from Waitrose because they actually invest some time into making sure the animals arent kept in horrid condictions.
  • Options
    Shop (well my parents) as much as possible from Israel.

And if the supermarket doesn't have the usual stock from Israel fitting to the season, then you can be sure that my dad will ask for it.
  • Options
    I usually buy fair trade tea and coffee, free range and organic eggs, fish and chicken. I also try to use local markets and local shops rather than supermarkets. I don't always succeed though.
    I don't think it makes a huge difference though.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I usually buy fair trade tea and coffee, free range and organic eggs, fish and chicken. I also try to use local markets and local shops rather than supermarkets. I don't always succeed though.

Ditto (except the chicken).
    I don't think it makes a huge difference though.

I disagree, I believe if enough people send their custom to the right places then the market will change.
  • Options
    To me there are no absolute morals.

I buy my goods depending on quality and price.
  • Options
    I try to avoid Esso petrol stations like the plague, Exxon being the spawn of the devil. Ditto produce from Israel.

Don't think it will make much of a difference, though I'm aware of persistent boycott campaigns against Israeli produce (mostly fruits and vegs) that seems to have made them rather difficult to find in some supermarkets.
  • Options
    I wonder if the same people who boycott Israeli vegetables and fruits, would concider boycotting Israeli deeveloped medicine :chin:
  • Options
    Out of interest, do people avoid farmed fish, and if so what impact do you think you are having on fish stocks?

Personally I only ever buy cod from Iceland because they are the ONLY place on earth which is seen to have a sustainable fish policy.

Obviously though farmed fish are fed all kinds of things which could be nasty.
  • Options
    No ones mentioned Farmers Markets My Grandfather was a farmer and so I feel obliged to get produce from then when there avaliable, unfortunatly thats not to oftern I would advis all siters who are neer a farmers market to get there stuff there cause not only is it more ethical IT TASTES BETTER yes thats right I had some bacon from a F.M it was so nice rich not likt the bland meat you get in the supermarkets, of course I had some other bacon from a different stall that wasnt so good.
    Has anyone tried real chicken it tastes so different from the plastic stuff you get in the supermarkets and KFC, this chicken had a much nicer woody texture rich nice flavours,

So I think Farmers Markets should be the No1 choice for all ethical, healthy taste consious consumers.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    I wonder if the same people who boycott Israeli vegetables and fruits, would concider boycotting Israeli deeveloped medicine :chin:
    I'm sure they'd do. Which ones are there though?

In any case there is much more of a case for boycotting commercial produce such as food than anything else. Especially considering that some of that produce (oil for example) can actually be Palestinian, which then gets labelled and sold for massive profit margins by the Israelis.
  • Options
    I didnt think there was any oil in Isreal/Plaestine
  • Options
    Olive oil.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Iknowyourmum
    I didnt think there was any oil in Isreal/Plaestine

Olive oil.
  • Options
    Great minds think alike. :p
  • Options
    Oh certainly, I do get down to my local farmers market when I can, although its not really very local to me anymore since I moved.
  • Options
    They have just re-opened the one near me, last weekend in fact. I have no excuse now....
  • Options
    ALways try and shop ethically when I can. I try and shop at the Co-op because theyre ethically sound. Only buy fairtrade tea, coffee and bananas. Only buy free range or organic eggs, milk and meat, because of the animal welfare issue - especially chicken and pork, as cheap chicken and pork is nearly always factory farmed, and I wont be a party to that. I know its more expensive, so I just dont eat it as often.
    I dont knowingly buy anything made by Nestle or companies that are Nestle in disguise, because of their blatent flouting of the WHO guidelines in regard to promotion of infant formula milk in developing companies where there is limited access to clean water, therefore a baby dies every 30 seconds due to unsafe bottlefeeding, and bottlefed babies in developing countries are 50% more likely to die in their first year of life than breastfed babies. Nestle have continually flouted the rules about promoting it.
    I also try and buy recycled stuff where I can.
    It doesnt actually take much thought or effort really, If im buying something I havent bought before, it just means I have to read the label and check.
  • Options
    Btw, while this isn't medicine this is medical related.
    I know a doctor from Israel who's been outstationed here in Denmark for a number of years due to his expertise in skin-diseases, and some machinary connected to that (from Israel), which doctors here haven't been able to use properly.

Israel is among the leading nations in the fields of research for skin diseases and diabetes. Think they're pretty involved with treatments for cancer.
    Though I'll try to find specifics.
  • Options
    i find it hard to shop ethically being based in central london cause normal food is overpriced and being a student at same time doesnt help, however id like to try stuff from farmers markets cause its paying the farmers a decent cut of profits whilst the food is still about the same price or cheaper

of course not all food can be produced in uk though so then its kinda hard cause lots of countries have different agricultural policies
  • Options
    Oh, a little fact for you if you eat bananas, any grown in the Caribbean are de faco fair trade because they cant get people to work for under a living wage there.

BUT, because they are not certificated as fair trade they do not carry the large margin of produce like that. Therefore you can buy fair trade bananas without paying the stupid price!
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Oh, a little fact for you if you eat bananas, any grown in the Caribbean are de faco fair trade because they cant get people to work for under a living wage there.

BUT, because they are not certificated as fair trade they do not carry the large margin of produce like that. Therefore you can buy fair trade bananas without paying the stupid price!
    Wow, I didnt know that, and will look out for carribean bananas in future.
    Is Windward Isles Carribean????????
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite

Indeedthey are :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite

Indeed they are :yes:
  • Options
    Israeli inventions in the cancer field: "Gut-cam" - ingestible pill video camera to diagnose cancer and radiation free breast cancer diagnostic tests.

The agenda of these sites may not suit you, but it gives you a list of Israeli developments in general...

Here And here

Now which kind of computer are you using? ;)
  • Options
    Why do you consider it to be ethical to buy British fruit and veg bongbudda?
  • Options
    I wouldn't deny Israel's achievements in science and medicine (the former so often put to the wrong use, but that's always the case isn't it). The aims of a boycott is not to avoid anything that ever came from a certain country, as if it were infected or it was evil. The aim is to put pressure in the government in question through loss of earnings by producers of that country.

Medicine however is a universal science for good and I for one am against by the 'cultural' boycott that Israeli scientists and professors have been put through in some British universities.

Avoiding medical treatment with, say, a scanner made in Israel is not going to put the Israeli government under any pressure- it isn't even going to be aware there is a boycott against such item.

Reducing Israeli exports of peppers, strawberries and oil to a minimal amount is however going to put immediate pressure on the government- though for the boycott to have any effect it must be widely observed- which at the moment isn’t.
  • Options
    Fair enough.
    Though it wasn't what you implied to begin with.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Why do you consider it to be ethical to buy British fruit and veg bongbudda?
    Its more ethical to buy locally produced food. Much better for the environment - less food miles, supporting local farmers and businesses.
  • Options
    It's true. Not only it's likely to be fresher, it's better for the environment to keep transportation to a minimum.