Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

After 18 years of hell, a hero is released

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3645225.stm

Let's just hope he doesn't get assassinated.

If only there were more people like him around...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    im sure theyl have people 'looking after his protection' :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The address of the flat were he was planning on staying was 'mysteriously' leaked to the press.

If I were him I'd get the hell out of the country by any means necessary.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Must admit, that is exactly what I thought. Its all a bit Cold War espionage for my liking.....
  • Options
    He cant leave though can he, I thought where he lives for the next few years is tightly controled.

And if he tries to leave, well they nabbed him last time didnt they.
  • Options
    Is this the chap who got illegally kidnapped by the Mossad in Italy in a 'honey trap' operation?

They certainly have a history of wiping their arses with international law don't they?
  • Options
    Yes Al, Vanunu was originally kidnapped by Mossad agents in Italy.
  • Options
    That man was a traitor to his country, he deserved worse.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    That man was a traitor to his country, he deserved worse.

You are a cold cold man
  • Options
    Do you also consider the Iraqis who told the US about Saddam's WMDs and bases traitors Matadore?
  • Options
    Traitors to a dispicable regime, yes.

I have no doubt that if a Frenchman or a Russian revealed state secrets in this way, he too would be locked away for a long time. Or in Russias case, executed.

Governments have to maintain secrecy, you should know that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Do you also consider the Iraqis who told the US about Saddam's WMDs and bases traitors Matadore?

Regardless of what you might think - there's much less of a chance of Israel using whatever they have, than Saddam using what he had.
    And of they should use it, it would be for self-protection.

So there is a difference, and your analogy does not work.
  • Options
    I'll get my parents to dig out the "Protect and Survive" manual........
  • Options
    Each to their own then; I can tell the difference between a whistleblower and a 'traitor' regardless of the country/government he works for.

The fact remains that Israel has amassed an illegal and undeclared arsenal of not only nuclear but biological and chemical weapons that put the whole region and indeed the world in danger. If the Israeli government thinks there's nothing wrong with stockpiling such weapons why do they deny their existence?

How laughable having to hear about stockpiles of WMDs and unfulfilled UN resolutions as justification for waging illegal wars on sovereign nations when other countries are allowed to happily build up their own arsenals unmolested.

The man is a hero. I'd be saying the same if was British, Spanish, Chinese or Martian.
  • Options
    Israel is a special case.
  • Options
    Governments have to maintain secrecy, you should know that.

Even when they shouldn't?
  • Options
    If you refuse to acknowledge the difference between Saddam Hussein, and the State of Israel - then there's really no point of discussing this.

Really, we can derive ourselves that every action that goes against the Israeli State is something you approve of.
  • Options
    Israel is a special case.
    No it ain't.
  • Options
    Imagine the chaos if Israel was using Nuclear weapons now. That man did the right thing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    If you refuse to acknowledge the difference between Saddam Hussein, and the State of Israel - then there's really no point of discussing this.
    Saddam was far more brutal and radical than the Israeli government but the similarities cannot be ignored I'm afraid:

-Both have appalling human rights records

-Both have a history of hostility against neighbours including illegal land appropriation, violation of airspace, bombardments

-Both are in breach of dozens of UN resolutions and in violation of other accords

-Both have (well, one hasn't for years actually) illegal and undeclared nuclear, chemical and biological weapons

That one is much worse than the other does not suppress the fact that both are guilty of the same crimes and breaches (though to a different degree) that have been used as a justification to wage a war.

The supreme hypocrisy of it all cannot be over-stated.
    Really, we can derive ourselves that every action that goes against the Israeli State is something you approve of.
    Against the Israeli government jacqs, not the State. And not "every action" but only regarding those issues where the Israeli government is clearly in the wrong.
  • Options

-Both have a history of hostility against neighbours
    You make it sound as if the people just woke up one day and decided to bomb their neighbours for fun. As Saddam did with Kuwait.

You can have your opinion, but totally neglecting why Israel has the ongoing fight with it's neighbours and who started it, and how is something I can't take seriously.

That's the thing that scares me about the internet.
    Someone reads about this stuff for the first time, and doesn't get the reasoning behind what's going on, and now has an opinion based on half the facts.
  • Options
    You make it sound as if the people just woke up one day and decided to bomb their neighbours for fun. As Saddam did with Kuwait.

You can have your opinion, but totally neglecting why Israel has the ongoing fight with it's neighbours and who started it, and how is something I can't take seriously.

Someone reads about this stuff for the first time, and doesn't get the reasoning behind what's going on, and now has an opinion based on half the facts.

That will happen with any form of media, Jacqs. In fact the good thing about the net is that if people are inclined they can do an immediate search on the topic and find out the background or opposing views from a wide selection of sources.

Whats worse is those who read some inflammatory crap tabloid without question.
  • Options

I am perfectly aware of the several wars and actions that were started by Arab nations Jacqs.

But are YOU aware of pre-emptive attacks, the constant violations of air space and the bombardments Israel is responsible for as well?

Iraq and (especially) Lebanon come to mind...
  • Options
    Some of us are happy that Saddam's atom plans and that the Hizbollahs bases got ruined.
    It didn't come just because.
  • Options
    Whereas I am glad that Saddam didn't get to build a bomb (simply because I don't want any nation to stock the damned things) it certainly didn't give Israel any right to launch pre-emptive attacks on other people's installations.

Especially since Israel has been busy amassing nuclear weapons itself.

Presumably had someone taken out the Israeli nuclear plants when they were first built we would be still be hearing about all those evil terrorist states attacking other nations and being a danger to the world.
  • Options
    Cases of Saddam using WMD? Against Iran and against the Kurds I do believe (are the Kurds traitors? Surely yes)

Both these groups were utterly hostile to Saddam and his govt and would have got rid of him if they could....

Thus the use of WMD was surely self-defence!

But this of course is OK!

So what is the fuss?
  • Options
    No it ain't.

Yes , im afraid it is.

Israel is a small country with a small population.

It is surrounded by hostile, expansionist, aggressive, populous and dictatorial nations who have tried to wipe the country off the map more than once.

If any countrys position merits having nuclear weapons, it is Israels.
    pre-emptive attacks on other people's installations.

Your constant adherance to fair play and dipolmacy with madmen such as Saddam astounds me.
  • Options
    Yes , im afraid it is.

Israel is a small country with a small population.

It is surrounded by hostile, expansionist, aggressive, populous and dictatorial nations who have tried to wipe the country off the map more than once.

If any countrys position merits having nuclear weapons, it is Israels.
    Hostile? Not any more, not for many years.

Expansionist? Don't make me fucking laugh, there is only one country in the region that not only was created out of thin air (or rather, out of other people's land) but that has since annexed massive amounts of land from virtually all countries around it.

Aggressive? They used to be. Not any more. One country stands out in terms of aggression and hostility during the last 2 decades. It ain't the horrible Arabs...

Populous? So?

Dictatorial? So? Does the 'vibrant democracy' of Israel, with its appalling catalogue of human right abuses and its Apartheid system have any more merit than the governments of Lebanon or Jordan?

The fact is Israel had never needed nuclear weapons. For it has the total, absolute and unconditional support of the USA, and who wouldn't have thought twice of nuking any nation that dared to step out of line severely enough.

And even if Israel had a real need for nukes, there certainly isn't one now. The fact is nukes make the whole region more dangerous, not less. What right do we have to tell other nations in the area they cannot build their own bombs when we have flagrantly allowed a certain other to stockpile 200 nuclear warheads plus undisclosed amounts of chemicals and biological weapons?
    Your constant adherance to fair play and dipolmacy with madmen such as Saddam astounds me.

I bet my arse that you couldn't give a flying toss about that 'madman' Saddam Hussein while he was shaking hands with the USA and the Americans called him an ally.

Just as you don't seem to give a flying toss about America's new best friend, the equally madman and murderous bastard President Karimov of Uzbekistan.

But in any case, the point that everyone who is not a hopeless warmongering US fanatic has been making is that no one has the right to take unilateral action without provocation and the full support of the UN.

Not that I can hear your demands that we take care of Uzbekistan or Georgia anyway. They're 'allies', so they can carry on boiling people alive if they please.
  • Options
    Hostile? Not any more, not for many years.
    Oh, so agreeing to start a war against Israel if given enough money, is not hostility?
    Support of the Hizbolah hostile and agressive?

What world are you living in?

Seriously, seeing all the money which Israel is using on security and military is not a joy, but sad.
    To see a country, which has so many possibilities and so many qualities being in financial troubles cause of the current situation, is one of the saddest things.
  • Options
    I agree Jacqs, and I do really feel, believe it or not, for ordinary Israelis who have to live every day in fear of their lives and who have seen their economy ruined by the enduring conflict and their friends and families murdered.

But for that I lay most of the blame on the Israeli government. For reasons discussed in the past regarding the return to 1967 borders and the full withdrawal of troops and dismantlement of settlements from all of Gaza and the West Bank. Because until that is done peace is never going to be achieved.
  • Options
    I agree Jacqs, and I do really feel, believe it or not, for ordinary Israelis who have to live every day in fear of their lives and who have seen their economy ruined by the enduring conflict and their friends and families murdered.

But for that I lay most of the blame on the Israeli government. For reasons discussed in the past regarding the return to 1967 borders and the full withdrawal of troops and dismantlement of settlements from all of Gaza and the West Bank. Because until that is done peace is never going to be achieved.

I don't agree with 1967, but letting them have the West Bank and Gaza is something which I do agree in.
    I just don't think that Israel would be doing themself any favor to do it from one day to the other, when they openly proclaim that their goal is to take over all of Israel, and to see every last Jew/Zionist killed.