Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

child labour

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I actually read this thread in disbelief at sole liber's remarks... :no:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Because, you idiot, if an employer had a choice between employing an adult he had to pay £4.50 an hour for, and a child who he could employ for £1.50, who do you think he would employ?
    No, it is you who is an idiot. ( it seems the word idiot is not rude here anymore….)Your ignorance in economics is shocking. Minimal wages create unemployment, it is an axiom. If minimal wages are so nice why not to do it like &1000 an hour? Think logically! Imagine what would happen in this case. Current minimal wages have the same effect, just in less scale.
    Originally posted by Whowhere

No minimum wage eh? Do you work? From the sounds of it I don't believe you do. Tell you what, I'll set up a new buisness gassing sheep. You can be my lackey clearing up all the faeces and I'll pay you £0.50 an hour for your trouble.
    Whats that, you want breaks? Well fuck you, you can work all day without so much as a toilet break. If you need to go then piss yourself.
    Don’t make me laugh! Where the hell can he find such a fool?
    Again, think logically. The most workers have wages much higher than minimal. In NZ minimal wage is $8.50 while skilled workers in construction get $15-20 and more. What make employers pay these wages if they are not forced by govt to do this? It seems you believe in omnipotence of king’s orders. But it’s not kings but market who dictates wages and prices and all the King's horses and all the King's men can’t change its decisions. There are lots of people working illegally for wages lower than minimal ( I did), sometimes the whole industries stand on this like picking oranges in America. The only effect of kings’ orders is that it’s much harder for these people to find a job.
  • Options
    If you freemarket lunatics had your way, we'd still be shoving children up chimneys.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    Minimal wages create unemployment, it is an axiom.
    By the same reasoning high CEO salaries and bonuses also create unemployment. Imagine all the extra workers that could be hired if those good-for-nothing fat parasites sitting in boardrooms all day long had their massive wages cut by 90%.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    I actually read this thread in disbelief at sole liber's remarks... :no:

Why? They are honest opinions!!
  • Options
    They're barking mad opinions!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    If you freemarket lunatics had your way, we'd still be shoving children up chimneys.
    Of course! Kids are small so it's their natural business. But don't make illusions, you'd pay them A LOT!
    To Aladdin. Do you seriously don't understand why ones earn more than others or you just pretend to be a dummy?
  • Options
    And don't you seriously understand why the minimum wage is both necessary and beneficial for everyone or are you just in denial?
  • Options
    No, it is you who is an idiot. ( it seems the word idiot is not rude here anymore….)Your ignorance in economics is shocking. Minimal wages create unemployment, it is an axiom.

Don't see how... I mean either way how many people are unemployed and not actively looking for work? You'd think the minimum wage would be an incentive really because they wouldn't be exploited. Either way... whether it's a good idea or not, people need money to eat, drink and sleep under a roof as well as support their family.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Don't see how... I mean either way how many people are unemployed and not actively looking for work? You'd think the minimum wage would be an incentive really because they wouldn't be exploited. Either way... whether it's a good idea or not, people need money to eat, drink and sleep under a roof as well as support their family.
    Well, look how it works.
    Minimal wages hit small business in first turn. Small businesses exist on the verge of bankruptcy, every little change of market situation can either push them up or kick them out of market. If some small shop has three employees who get minimal wages and then govt puts the plank higher, what are the owner’s options? He can’t afford pay this new wage so he have either to fire one of them ( that means more work for him and members of his family who are not employees from legal point of view) or close down the business or work illegally. In first two cases this mean more jobless, in third one this means more risk and more uncertainty.
    Now look at this from other side. Who are these people who work for small wages? Teenagers, uneducated and unskilled people, people with bad health, immigrants not knowing the language well, retired people who want extra cash to their pensions. Shortly, the less protected and weakest part of the population. Now, when new wages are established, places where they were welcomed before are closed for them. Instead to have small earnings they have no earnings at all. They also won’t find a job in big and medium companies because a demand on unskilled workers in these sectors is much less.
    It is not just a theory, I know these things from my own experience and experience of my friends.
  • Options
    Of course! Kids are small so it's their natural business. But don't make illusions, you'd pay them A LOT!
    To Aladdin. Do you seriously don't understand why ones earn more than others or you just pretend to be a dummy?

Do you read Robert Heinlein books by any chance?
  • Options
    I did read his books when I was a kid. So what?
    I read a lot of things you have no idea about. Did you read the best communist utopia ever written? I'm talking about Ivan Efremov's books "Galaxy of Andromeda" and especially " The Hour of Bull"? If you never read this stuff you can't judge what communism idea is about.
  • Options
    I did read his books when I was a kid. So what?

Thought so. I read his books as a kid as well and had some of the same opinions as you do as a teenager. As I got older, I realised that people and life are a lot more complicated, and libetarian economics are far too simplistic. As is anarchism.
  • Options
    Did you read the best communist utopia ever written? I'm talking about Ivan Efremov's books "Galaxy of Andromeda" and especially " The Hour of Bull"? If you never read this stuff you can't judge what communism idea is about.

LOL! :D :rolleyes: