Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

child labour

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why the need for child labour laws??

If a child wants to work then why not??

Comments

• Options
    to stop them being exploited and made to work.
  • Options
    Because a child has no means to make a free and informed decision.
  • Options
    Re: child labour
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    Why the need for child labour laws??

hellooo ...the real world ...exploitation health and safety ...what a stupid question!
  • Options
    If a family is poor then why can't they send their children to work??! It would earn extra money for the family!
  • Options
    If a family is poor then why can't they send their children to work??! It would earn extra money for the family!
    some things never change do they. the comfortable are quite happy with the less comfortable hiring out their children for slave labour. the rich get fatter the poor die stuck down some fucking hole in the ground.
    what kind of employment do you have in mind ...flying a jet ...driving a train ...fireman ...soldier ...or just skivvy?
  • Options
    These laws made to prevent children from working.
    If they manage to escape brainwashing camps they have two options, to work or to gang up, hang around corners aimlessly, die from boredom and eventually turn into street gangs. What is better from State’s point of view, working children or street gangs? Rhetorical question. Look around and you’ll see what is happening. Certainly street gangs are better, so we have child labour laws.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    There education would be affected by it too.

Huh, so?

Why can't a child do a menial job like working in a shop or something?? It would teach them the value of work!
  • Options
    It would be better than families starving!

Child labour legislation should be relaxed.
  • Options
    You know you really do push this free market with no rules thing too far. Child Labour would lead to children being exploited for minimal payment. Just look what the big clothes company's are doing in Asia.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    That's a common occurence?

It may not be, but surely you don't dispute economic differences between families?
    You know you really do push this free market with no rules thing too far. Child Labour would lead to children being exploited for minimal payment. Just look what the big clothes company's are doing in Asia.

Maybe different cultures have differing methods of treating children, I don't know. In many cases it's because families are too poor to support themselves!
  • Options
    It may not be, but surely you don't dispute economic differences between families?

Maybe different cultures have differing methods of treating children, I don't know. In many cases it's because families are too poor to support themselves!

Many of these family's still suffer poverty though because these multi nationals pay these kids mere pennys a day. They don't care about the childrens wellfare, only making a maximum profit.
  • Options
    Average wages differ from country to country. So by British standards it may be 'slave wages' but in other countries it may not be.
  • Options
    Why stop at letting them work monocrat? Why not allowing the kid's parents to sell his or her body to local paedophiles? I mean, so long as the kid agrees, it doesn't amount to anything more than a private transaction between consenting individuals. Right?
  • Options
    i think we should build institutions for the right wing debilitated ...like an asylum you know ...
    these people don't just not give a fuck about anything but their own comfort ...they are incapable of seeing beyond that.
    i could quite easily be persuaded to pick up a gun and become a freedom fighter ...oops ...terrorist ...to get shut once and for all!
    my mind has boggled again! but that was anothrer thread.
  • Options
    Sorry but paedophiles would be prosecuted against in a libertarian society, if they violate childrens' rights to person.
  • Options
    Sorry but paedophiles would be prosecuted against in a libertarian society, if they violate childrens' rights to person.
    what are you on about now ...?
  • Options
    I think compulsary school should stop at the age of 14. So children can choose what subjects they would like to do and concentrate on them for thier future careers. And if children would like to work then let them do it if it works under health and safety ofcourse!
  • Options

Because the family gets child support, the youth doesn't need to work.

Uh oh... benefits come from theft! (aka taxes)
  • Options
    Benefits for people who can't help themselves??

In that case, the children SHOULD work!!:yes:
  • Options
    well im sure you think so but the problem is that well poor parents would have to send their kid to work instead of school so they wouldnt recieve an education as they do in lots of countries and land up as cleaners all theirlives who cant read and write and do basic things

children shouldnt need to work, you do enough of that yor whole life, that when you should be learning things for the sake of learning them and learning social skills

i am for activities such as scouts, cadets etc because they teach the kid what a bit of effort can do and helps with growing up :D
  • Options
    Benefits for people who can't help themselves??

In that case, the children SHOULD work!!:yes:
    Since the NHS is currently a benefit to you, I trust you will be refusing any further treatment and "help yourself" instead- or go private.
  • Options
    i think they should step up the child labor legislation, or at least introduce a compulsary minimum wage for under 18's rather than the so-called guidelines they have now.
    at age 14 i was working for £2.50 an hour at the weekends with no lunch break.

when kids are old enough they can get jobs but there are rules and regulations to make sure they arent over worked.

in any caes, would you want an 8 year old serving you in a shop?
  • Options
    I know, lets just send them down the mines, it'll keep them off the streets.
    WAIT, let's give them rifles and send them as cannon fodder to Iraq.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    WAIT, let's give them rifles and send them as cannon fodder to Iraq.:rolleyes:

We already do. Amnesty Internation regularly complain about the children in the British Army- someone who is 16 is only a child still.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    We already do. Amnesty Internation regularly complain about the children in the British Army- someone who is 16 is only a child still.

old enough to die for ones country but not old enough to have a say in how it is governed :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Since the NHS is currently a benefit to you, I trust you will be refusing any further treatment and "help yourself" instead- or go private.

Non sequitur.
    in any caes, would you want an 8 year old serving you in a shop?

Why not? It's not my child; therefore I'm not obligated to care for it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

http://www.learndirect-advice.co.uk/helpwithyourcareer/jobprofiles/profiles/

As for actually fighting, noone under 18 is given a rifle and sent to the front lines.
  • Options
    Non sequitur.
    Oh I think not.
  • Options
    fuck free trade!!
  • Options

Why not? It's not my child; therefore I'm not obligated to care for it.
    so you'd trust them to get your change right and not sit there scoffing stuff etc?

i know i wouldnt.