Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How clever of Ariel Sharon. I wonder what'll happen next...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    I'm not saying what Israel did this morning was right, nor am I saying that it will have a positive effect.

I just find it ironic that we can have a thread devoted to the death of a terrorist but we seem to be able to ignore the deaths of innocents. Both lead to revenge attacks, we all know that, but once again Israel is portrayed as "the bad guy".

They attacked this man for a reason, not because he happened to be a Palestinian. Sadly he has just become another martyr and a rally call for terrorism. It was a no-win situation.
    If the deaths of innocents on both sides are ignored MoK, for want of a better word, is because sadly they've become almost every day occurrence. I hardly have started any new threads devoted to the IDF killing 6 or 8 Palestinian in an 'incursion' or a Palestinian suicide bomber murdering 8 Israelis on a bus, because sadly everything's been said about them and there is nothing new or dramatically different.

This merited a mention simply because of the extremely serious consequences it will have and the utter waste of lives it will cause (and for no real benefit). As I said before I have no sympathy or concern for the man, but the shift in tactics by the IDF cannot be ignored or its gravity overstated. Had a Palestinian terrorist killed Ariel Sharon I would have started a similar thread to the same tune, though like Jacqs has expressed in this case I would be overwhelmed with joy to see the scumbag gone.

This is the kind of thing which annoys me:

Originally posted by Aladdin
    Unsurprisingly relations with Israel’s neighbours will have been set back another 10 years.

Not the comment itself, but the message it suggests from Israel's neighbours.

They should be loudly saying, good bye and good riddance. They should be sending the message that actually they support the killing of known terrorists - that negotiation is the means forward and that people who preach violence have no place.
    And what does it say about Israel and its regard for human rights, the rule of law and its desire for peace?

The only reason relations with the Arab world will deteriorate is because it is crystal clear that Ariel Sharon isn't interested in peace. Not until he has secured his objective anyway, which is getting the Palestinians to renounce to all the land Israel has stolen since 1967 and sign a peace accord with the situation as it stands.

Sharon will be the beneficiary in the long term from any atrocities that Hamas might do in retaliation. He will use them as a justification for his Apartheid Wall and the right to exist of dozens of illegal settlements, Israeli-controlled roads and checkpoints that have fragmented the reminder of Palestine into a million isolated slums.

That is why the Arab world will react with fury. Not because they're sorry for a terrorist like Yassin, but because they can see the cynical and twisted agenda behind the killing and it goes to show how Sharon is not committed to peace and is every ounce as bad and damaging to the peace process as the "terrorists" he assassinates.
  • Options
    And what does it say about Israel and its regard for human rights, the rule of law and its desire for peace?

The only reason relations with the Arab world will deteriorate is because it is crystal clear that Ariel Sharon isn't interested in peace. Not until he has secured his objective anyway, which is getting the Palestinians to renounce to all the land Israel has stolen since 1967 and sign a peace accord with the situation as it stands.

Sharon will be the beneficiary in the long term from any atrocities that Hamas might do in retaliation. He will use them as a justification for his Apartheid Wall and the right to exist of dozens of illegal settlements, Israeli-controlled roads and checkpoints that have fragmented the reminder of Palestine into a million isolated slums.

That is why the Arab world will react with fury. Not because they're sorry for a terrorist like Yassin, but because they can see the cynical and twisted agenda behind the killing and it goes to show how Sharon is not committed to peace and is every ounce as bad and damaging to the peace process as the "terrorists" he assassinates.

So true
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Either way, the conflict will end once the Palestinian leaders start encouraging to life and not death.
    Basically Israel is the ones with the military and weapons. They're the ones who have what the Palestinians want.
    So maybe the Palestinians should show some good-will and stop their terror activities and they'll be able to gain what they want.
    As far as I am concerned the Israeli government has never, ever, in 4 decades of conflict, offered to give the Palestinians anything remotely close to what they want- or rather to what they are entitled to.

It's easy to say the Palestinians should stop killing first but as the situation stands all they would 'gain' is the Israelis stop shooting them and ending the illegal occupation.

Perhaps if the Israeli government offered to return to 1967 borders & to dismantle every last illegal settlement (as per 17 trillion UN resolutions and common decency), and to take down the Apartheid Wall in return for the Palestinians ending their campaign, you would see immediate results.

The ball is in Israel's court. It always has, and the Israeli government knows very well what to do to put an end to all of this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    yea the Palestinians were quite happy to do a bit of talking but that didn't work either
    you are yet another person fooled by western propaganda, do u genuinely think that the average israeli soldier stands there and says to himself "right now i'm goin to shoot the terrorist out of that crowd of 200 people", get a grip, they shoot anyone in their sight and they don't care, long live the heroes of Palestine.

Yes, that's why you still hear about on-going problems. That's why they just haven't bombed the sense out of the westbank and gaza and left it at that. Get a grip.
    And please tell me when the Palestinians where willing to do talking that lead somewhere?
  • Options

Exactly, cause their own human right records are spotless, huh?
  • Options
    As far as I am concerned the Israeli government has never, ever, in 4 decades of conflict, offered to give the Palestinians anything remotely close to what they want- or rather to what they are entitled to.

It's easy to say the Palestinians should stop killing first but as the situation stands all they would 'gain' is the Israelis stop shooting them and ending the illegal occupation.

Perhaps if the Israeli government offered to return to 1967 borders & to dismantle every last illegal settlement (as per 17 trillion UN resolutions and common decency), and to take down the Apartheid Wall in return for the Palestinians ending their campaign, you would see immediate results.

The ball is in Israel's court. It always has, and the Israeli government knows very well what to do to put an end to all of this.

1st, you know very well that the land has never belonged to the Palestinians. And I don't see Egypt, Syria or Jordan reclaiming the land. Basically it's got nothing to do with the palestinians. You know it.

2ndly, say the Palestinians stopped their actions no one would even hesitate in condemning Israel and stopping all financial and supportive ties with the country.

So far it's the Palestinians who have to show good-will in order to gain their wants. They and the rest of the world very well knows that Israel will not be bullied into giving them something which doesn't belong to the Palestininans in the first place.
  • Options
    1st, you know very well that the land has never belonged to the Palestinians. And I don't see Egypt, Syria or Jordan reclaiming the land. Basically it's got nothing to do with the palestinians. You know it.

:confused: - but this conflict is between palestine and Israel so surely it involves the palestinians. I think I've misinterperated this.

2ndly, say the Palestinians stopped their actions no one would even hesitate in condemning Israel and stopping all financial and supportive ties with the country.

why would people do thi? ignore my ignorance of the subject I need to learn!

So far it's the Palestinians who have to show good-will in order to gain their wants. They and the rest of the world very well knows that Israel will not be bullied into giving them something which doesn't belong to the Palestininans in the first place.

In the first place it belonged to the dinosaurs. In this modern age though; there were borders drawn sometime after world war two and Israel were the aggresor; they invaded palestine and siezed their land. I don't know why; I'm not the expert. And I think both sides have to make concessions because neither side wants to go the whole way otherwise they feel they're losing everything while the other side gets away scott free.

An armstice should be called first between the terrorist groups and the IDF. Stop the shooting. Then talking can begin. Whether or not this will happen remains to be seen; Israel are so superior that Palestine has very little leverage.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    :confused: - but this conflict is between palestine and Israel so surely it involves the palestinians. I think I've misinterperated this.

why would people do thi? ignore my ignorance of the subject I need to learn!

In the first place it belonged to the dinosaurs. In this modern age though; there were borders drawn sometime after world war two and Israel were the aggresor; they invaded palestine and siezed their land. I don't know why; I'm not the expert. And I think both sides have to make concessions because neither side wants to go the whole way otherwise they feel they're losing everything while the other side gets away scott free.

An armstice should be called first between the terrorist groups and the IDF. Stop the shooting. Then talking can begin. Whether or not this will happen remains to be seen; Israel are so superior that Palestine has very little leverage.

ShyBoy - The Palestinians never owned any land. They lived there. But what we know as Israel, first belonged to the Ottoman Empire, then got handed over to the British, who then gave the mandate to the UN.
    When talking about pre-67 borders it's land which belonged to Egypt, Syria and Jordan. If Israel should give land back, it's to those, and not the Palestinian people as they never owned it.
    But as it is now, these countries have never been eager to get the land back.
    And Palestinians have got nothing to do with it, as they've never been able to claim the land as their in the first place.

Currently the terrorism is a very understandable reason to why Israel won't negotiate with the Palestinians. Other countries do to some extent or other accept this.
    Now, if Israel had no reason to decline palestinians land then surely the rest of the world would act upon it.

As said before, Israel didn't invade palestinian land.
    When the UN got the mandate over Palestine, they divided it in two meaning to make two states. One palestine and one Israel. The Palestinians wanted all or nothing, got nothing, and on the day of creation Israel was attacked by it's neighbours.
    So who are the agressors?

As I see it, Israel has the means and the support behind them. Cause no matter how you twst or turn it, whatever Israel has done it has never been their line to attack civilians, and have always apologised for innocent lives lost, while the palestinians have danced in teh streets in joy when big attacks have taken place.
  • Options
    and meanwhile, seven other people are killed with him as they leave a place of worship...

and in revenge, some housewife or clubber on a night out or a school kid will be probably be killed as they ride a bus...

and in revenge, some kid playing football and other passerbys will probably be killed by missiles fired into a street...

and in revenge, a scared group of teenage soldiers will probably be killed at a checkpoint...

and in revenge, a family will probably watch their house being bulldozed and next doors teenage militant shot...

IS THERE A LIMIT TO THE STUPIDITY OF THE HUMAN RACE?

:confused:

BA.
  • Options
    I'm now looking forward to similar condemnation of any Palestinians attacks...
    I condemn the Palestinians for not trying to bring Sharon to trial!

Oh, wait, they have tried to do that, haven't they..?
  • Options

And perhaps again it wouldn't.

You know what Hamas stand for, don't you? They don't want a return to 1967, the don't just want the West Bank, Gaza etc. They want the end of Israel.

So, bearing in mind that organisations like Hamas will continue to fight, even if Israel capitulates to many Palestinian demands, how can the ball be in their court. Surely their neighbours, and the terrorist sponsors have a much bigger role to play than Israel ever could.

Israel is a nation surrounded by enemies. Many of whom have a stated aim to rid "their" land of the "Jews". So what can they do? Two choices, roll over and die, or stand and fight for their country...
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Well some of us consider the conflict from the perspective of its absolute beginning which commenced with brutal criminal terrorist acts by those Europeans (and non-semites thank you very much) who first came to impose their designs for the creation of the state toward the end of the first World War up until they achieved their goal.

...and some of us recognise that you cannot change the past.

Some of us recognise that if you want something which someone else has then bleating about what they have done in the past really won't get you anywhere.

Some of us recognise that you cannot bully someone who is more powerful than you are.

Some of us recognise that world opinion will only ever be in full support of the Palestinian cause once they renounce terrorism, and the likes of Yassin have no place in that.

Some of us recognise that mos nations of the world will not ally themselves publically with terrorist. If the Palestinians want land, they are going completely the wrong way about it.
  • Options
    If the land doesn't belong to the people who have been living there since the beginning of time, then who does it belong to???

Or are you suggesting that a land belongs to those who take it, no matter how recently, by whatever means available?

The reason why Egypt, Syria and Jordan don't reclaim the land is because they want it for the Palestinians (as they have expressed rather clearly). If only because the 1.5 million Palestinians currently living as refugees there are a burden and nobody can't wait to see them back in their country.
    No country bar one. As you know very well.

And for as long as Israel continues to receive the financial bankrolling of the US, it couldn't give as flying toss about the law, condemnation, UN resolutions or anything anyone could say.

It has never been the intention of Likud and any other zionists to return to 1967 borders. Some within Sharon's government are well known for their desires to push every Palestinian out of the land and to create a 'Greater Israel' comprising the whole of Palestine. Sharon himself doesn't have any intention to returning to 1967 borders either, though in his endless generosity he's prepared to give away the fragmented leftovers the Palestinians have today- but not a square inch more.

And so it will continue unless Likud and the religious fundamentalists are voted out of the government, or the world including the US employ all means necessary to make Israel comply.
    something which doesn't belong to the Palestininans in the first place.
    Oh Jesus fucking Christ almighty :rolleyes:

What hope there is for peace if some in Israel might actually think the above?
  • Options
    And perhaps again it wouldn't.

You know what Hamas stand for, don't you? They don't want a return to 1967, the don't just want the West Bank, Gaza etc. They want the end of Israel.
    And Hamas has stated on several occasions that they would be more than happy to drop such claims if a return to 1967 borders as agreed.

They're not going to change their chatter for the time being unfortunately, as this is all seen as a game of power play. But like Labour and Clause 4, these are things that are left there for propaganda reasons.

Even if Hamas didn't drop its propaganda claims in return for a return to 1967 borders, the rest of the Palestinians would take care of it fairly quickly.

Israel is a nation surrounded by enemies. Many of whom have a stated aim to rid "their" land of the "Jews". So what can they do? Two choices, roll over and die, or stand and fight for their country....
    See above.

No one in their most deluded mind could possibly believe any Arab state whatsoever in the whole world (specially now that Saddam is gone) would still have any intentions of "driving the Jews into the sea" and all that nonsense. However this is pathetically used by Israel- a country, let's remember, capable of destroying all those countries at the time of a button several times over thanks to its illegal arsenal of WMDs- to justify grabbing all the land it can.

Last year there was a peace proposal from all the Arab states in which they would formally recognise the state of Israel and push with all their efforts for a peace process in exchange for a return to 1967 borders and the devolution of the Golan Heights and any other additional land Israel has stolen.

Needless to say Israel ignored the offer and didn't even make an effort to negotiate.

I wonder why that happened...
  • Options
    Actually the claim you have regurgitated, Jacq, is part and parcel of the revisionist myth long promulgated by hardline zionists and goes back to the very start of matters as pointed out in my previous post.

Fact is that no ISRAELI owns land in the state of Israel, it is owned by the government and leased to people. The Palestinians did indeed very much own the land that they inhabited and even today Palestinians who remain in the occupied territories own the land that they inhabit.

What you proffer is merely a continuation of the "Land without a people for a people without a land" lie that originated the mess we have today and gave successive generations the smokescreen behind which to continue pursuing the steady assimilation of stolen land from its rightful owners.

Does this mean we should roll back history and eradicate the State of Israel? NO. As MoK points out we can't reverse history.

What MoK fails to appreciate in his typical surgical rather contextual assessment of what I put forward to dispel your typical revisionist claims, is that although we cannot reverse history, we can and must be genuine in the historic roots of the problem and cite the Israeli leadership for the systematic agenda of terrorism with which it and its forebears drove the legitimate and rightful inhabitants into exile (or their graves).

Believing the myth as you do (to justify your refusal to examine the real history of the matter)is tantamount to saying, for example to MoK and all others here...

Let us imagine you are peacefully coexisting with a small minority population of [pick ethnic group] when suddenly, due to some massive act of ethnic cleansing elsewhere in the world, flows of immigrants begin landing on British shores and organise themselves into militant squads to drive rightful landowners off their land or shooting them. The international community does nothing about it and in fact it is determined that a new homeland is indeed a good thing to assuage international feelings of guilt over having allowed the genocides in the first place.

Years go by and those who see their homes under threat have been successfully ignored long enough so that the presence of this growing number of immigrants has become the convenient status quo in both educational texts as well as the press. A little revisionism to pretend there never was a people takes care of any questions that the vast majority might raise on the subject (since so few will bother to take time to scour the historic records) and the remainder of those who do practice some vigilance in holding the new state accountable are dealt with by instituting a blanket ban on criticism of this historic misadventure under the pre-text of "anti-[insert ethnic group]" (when in fact the founders of the modern state are not in fact of the racial group for which they claim insult).

So now we come to the present day and all those who have now for generations lived in exile (or refugee camps) and clamoured for justice and restitution of their rightful property are told (along lines intimated by MoK's own words) "You never had any cause to fight back, the land wasnt yours (though it legally was) and your fighting only makes matters worse. Just accept what we did to you and shut up and then we'll give you a little something for trouble."

For a people once hounded and oppressed and hunted down, the shame of what they themselves are perpetrating in like manner against another people in order to further expand the nation's "liebensraum" regardless of its illegality and immorality is palpable.

Sorry MoK, but you cannot and will not ever gain a true picture of the situation so long as those with rightful grievance and a long running record of victimisation by a systematic intention to create and maintain a racially (though race is a misnomer conveniently and routinely applied to justify this very agenda) unitary state are treated as terrorists for revisiting the very acts perpetrated against them and their civilians upon those who so oppress and brutalise them.

Demand Israel be held to account for the true historic context of this conflict and that the idea of a purely Jewish state be abandoned with full right of return for rightful arab landowners to coexist peacefully side by side with Jewish peoples in ALL the land
    (thus ending the hardline zionist aspirations) and admit that there never was a "rightful" reclamation of land involved in the waves of emigrations - that began at the turn of the 20th century up to the present - but that it was a disingenuous bequeathal of international diplomacy which abrogated the rights of those already present in large numbers in the land (including Christians) and indeed much that fuels ongoing conflict will be resolved peacefully.

Instead it continues thanks to media supported revisionistic lies and misapplied culpability.

MoK, I suggest you examine carfully and fully the documentation provided previously and also consider this in response to to Jacqs allusion to the commonly held myth re: land ownership...

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Senate/7891/Palumbo_chptr1.html

http://www.badil.org/Campaign/ExpertForum/Geneva/10-U-Halabi.htm

http://members.fortunecity.com/911/palestine/facts.htm
  • Options
    You know what, we are all so deeply entrenched in our positions that I don't think that we will ever find common ground - except to agree that we should be banging heads together.

Therefore, in true Steve Redmond style, if anyone sees me near a Israel/Palestine thread again they have my permission to shoot me...
  • Options
    So long as the majority of the west refuses to at least assess the true historic background and merely accepts the revisionistic excuses which do nothing to ameliorate the long running grievance of a victimised people who once lived peacefully with the small minority (and indeed semitic Jewish population) of Palestine, you are correct.

Positions have nothing to do with this, true historic accounting does and that is a matter for simple intellectual honesty, not emotion or ideology.
  • Options
    You know what, we are all so deeply entrenched in our positions that I don't think that we will ever find common ground - except to agree that we should be banging heads together.

Therefore, in true Steve Redmond style, if anyone sees me near a Israel/Palestine thread again they have my permission to shoot me...

I said that too (minus the shooting part, I don't need to enhance my chances of that even further)...

Either way Clandestine, how the fuck do you want anyone to take you seriously when you do the exact same thing as you accuse me of?

You're so far out it's unbelievable. At least with the likes of Aladdin I can at least get a sense of where they're coming from (yet, i don't agree), but with you it's like something out of this world. Total psycho.
    + I have some proposals for a change in your signature.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    This is a very informative debate and I don't want to shut it down because people can't separate personal opinion from the issues. Keep it nice?
  • Options
    I'm just amazed by the Israeli justification for not arresting and bringing him to trial. It would cause more problem's... Like, making a martyr of Yassin won't bring more bloodshed??

It would take a lot of effort to indict Sharon for Sabra and Chatila, so..?
  • Options
    To try and draw a parallel; the US captured Saddam Hussein and consequently have shown him old, ragged and beaten down, and co-operating with US forces. This kind of image sends shockwaves through his supporters. If at the start of the war the assasination attempt would have been succesful he would have become a martyr and a symbol for loyalists to fight for.

If an Israeli special forces team have of abducted Yassin I think it would have been better because they could have taken him through the whole law process which gives people confidence that Israel are fair and not judge, jury and executioner. It's not in doubt he was a bad man, and didn't want to negotiate, but he was still a Palestinian killed by Israelis - this is what I'm afraid too many Palestinians will see.
  • Options
    Sorry that you are so entrenched in believing the revision than the true and documented history of events that you consider the facts " way out". Typical of your purely ideological refusal to examine anything that might put the whole conflict into proper historical perspective.

In point of fact, I and others (whom zionists love to brand as "self haters" (bogus and ridiculous claim indeed) are not way out, but spot on. So long as you and the media led unquestioning majority hold to a false history, it is certain that no reconciliation will ever come to pass nor a lasting solution found.

To call the suggestion that the Israeli government come clean for the first time since the founding of the state and open up Israeli society to both Muslim and Jew alike in true pluralistic (and actual "deomcratic") fashion with proper restitution from both sides for wrongs committed (whether financial, property-wise or simple contribution to the effort to build greater prosperity for all) "way out" only demonstrates how purely ideological you remain regardless of the historic truth.

The truth may insult your adopted ideological stance, but ideologies rooted in evil remain evil regardless of how pervasively they have come to be accepted by the unquestioning masses.

Call me whatever you like, it changes nothing with regard to the truth of what has been and continues to be systematically whitewashed or ignored altogether by a compliant corporate media.
  • Options
    They did have in jail once but let him go in a prisoner swap.
  • Options
    Cause no matter how you twst or turn it, whatever Israel has done it has never been their line to attack civilians, and have always apologised for innocent lives lost,
    while the palestinians have danced in teh streets in joy when big attacks have taken place.

have you ever seen the video when the israelis shot a 12 year old boy in the head, this boy was hiding behind a bin or something like that, HOW THE HELL CAN THEY JUSTIFY SHOOTING THAT BOY, APOLOGY OR NO APOLOGY.

Can you blame them for celebrating, we live in paradise compared to them, some can't go shopping or visit relatives anymore because there's a 20 ft tall wall blocking them from the outside world, what does that remind you off *cough* nazi ghettos *cough*, the sooner the Palestines get freedom the better, then there'll be no attacks.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    They did have in jail once but let him go in a prisoner swap.
    Technically correct. But while on the first occasion he was exchanged for hostages, on the second the other prisoners were two Mossad agents, who had tried to kill a Hamas man with poison in Amman, Jordan. King Hussein threatened to put them on trial unless an antidote were provided and Yassin released (according to Robert Fisk in the Independent). Once again, the Israeli authorities opted for skullduggery rather than letting the law take it's course. And if they hadn't tried to have someone killed (unlawfully, natch) in another country, Yassin would have had to serve his life sentence, rather than serving as another example of the perfidiousness of Israel's security services.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    have you ever seen the video when the israelis shot a 12 year old boy in the head, this boy was hiding behind a bin or something like that, HOW THE HELL CAN THEY JUSTIFY SHOOTING THAT BOY, APOLOGY OR NO APOLOGY.

Can you blame them for celebrating, we live in paradise compared to them, some can't go shopping or visit relatives anymore because there's a 20 ft tall wall blocking them from the outside world, what does that remind you off *cough* nazi ghettos *cough*, the sooner the Palestines get freedom the better, then there'll be no attacks.

That same boy that was caught in a crossfire with his dad? That same boy who was shot, said to been killed by Israelis and immedeately burried without any obduction proving so? That same boy who sat upon a wall, and after further inspections checking the wall, the bullethole didn't match weapons used by the IDF. That same boy, who we can conclude was killed by his own?

Or what about that article brought by The New York times that had a picture, and a caption explaining how a palestinian had been beaten to blood by an IDF soldier?
    That picture has been used in campaigns by palestinians, and who is that man actually?
    An American student been dragged out by a cab, beaten to blood by palestinians. The soldier in the backgrgound saved his life.

tuvia.jpg

Then there's the Jenin "massacre", who severeal organisations who're never late to criticise Israel concluded wasn't a massacre.
    Same area been filmed over and over again.

The palestinians can't shop?
    Tell me why the fuck I need to fear, when going into a mall, swwimming pool, resort or whatever when I am in Israel? Seeing whole families walking around is quite common - yet I'd never dare to go into their areas.

Get a grip, and stop swallowing all what they feed you.

And this time I tactfully ask you to stop making nazi comparisons.
  • Options

Except, of course, it was Steve Redgrave.

D 'oh
  • Options
    GATGUN_lg.jpg

BANG! Gotcha! ;)
  • Options
    Unfortunately Jacqs the incidents where Israeli soldiers have shot dead unarmed civilians, often children, and got away with it without even an apology (let alone a prosecution for murder) are countless. I truly hope you don't think any different. If you actually do I would gladly pay you a subscription to a decent newspaper delivered all the way to Denmark if it needs be.

On many occasions IDF officers have been caught lying and claiming the dead people in question were armed, or about to attack them, or shot by mistake by a stray bullet. We only get confirmed cases of this when the dead is one of our own (since all statements from Palestinian doctors and witnesses are automatically dismissed as not trustworthy :rolleyes: ), the last case being an English protester who was shot dead by Israeli soldiers. It turned out he wasn't shot from a great distance and hit on the back by a stray bullet, as the IDF claimed, but only a few metres away and on the forehead.

Similar killings- which can only be described as executions- are incredibly common and victims are sometimes killed in their beds or living rooms by IDF killing squads during their infamous 'incursions' in refugee camps. Needless to say when the IDF is questioned they hurry to say those who where summarily executed were "terrorists". Nothing further from the truth in most cases of course- not that being a "terrorist" should merit and instant death sentence without trial anyway. These type of things don't happen in democratic, civilised nations.

I could go on and on and on and on... The catalogue of atrocities, war crimes, targeting of civilians for retaliation purposes and murders by Israeli soldiers is for all to see. I'm not suggesting that things don't happen on the other side but the fact remains the Israeli government is and has been guilty of crimes against humanity and horrendous atrocities for the last 4 decades, and has been allowed to carry out the outrages unmolested and unchallenged while being allowed to call itself a 'free and vibrant democracy'.

The Israeli government and the head of the IDF should be rejected by the Israeli people and should see trial for their hideous crimes.

I truly hope that you will not deny this has been taking place, however unpleasant it might be for you.
  • Options
    As said so many times before, Israel are no angels. And neither are all of their soldiers.
    But as a whole, it's much easier for me to accept their morals and way of operating, than Hamas'.

Thing that bothers me most on this board though, is that you summarise all the inconvinient stuff that Israel has done, yet at every opprotunity neglect to mention what the other side has done. And when you get reminded, you choose to ignore it.
    Of course it's nothing compared to Clandestine who's a hypocrite in his own league and generally a lost cause.
  • Options
    Originally posted by godscop

Dealing with terrorism like this doesn't seem the right way to go about it. Imagine if the British had done similar things in certain districts of Belfast? The world would have gone ape.

I think people forget that the palestinian terror groups stated aims are to wipe out the jews and destroy the state of Israel. Not really the same as the IRAs demands for independence for Northern Ireland, different situation different methods used.

Whether its right or wrong you can understand the Israeli's way of thinking, they are/have been being threatened by all their neighbours and are facing a constant terrorist threat to their very existance. Passive resistance is probably not the first thing that springs to mind.