Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Up to 140 murdered in Madrid by c*nts

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    I don't quite see how terrorist problems are related to the freedoms enjoyed by that country........

I was responding to a question on how to solve this situation, considering they're not intrested in negotiating.

Stopping terrorists committing atrocities like this is more difficult in a free country because of freedom of movement, security forces needing proof to lock someone up and so on.

I am sure Franco had very different ways of solving problems like this.
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    This is why we must continue the War on Terror with all our strength.

The answer lies in killing all the fucking terrorist scum we find.

Opened your eyes a bit eh Aladdin? Slightly less naive now?

I would love to know how your going to find these terrorists, we're not sure who did this yet although the Spanish government probably have a very good idea. Don't think I am some liberal, far left 'softy' either its just the 'bomb everybody' policy doesn't work.
  • Options
    Originally posted by godscop

Stopping terrorists committing atrocities like this is more difficult in a free country because of freedom of movement, security forces needing proof to lock someone up and so on.

I am sure Franco had very different ways of solving problems like this.

Well yesyou need proof but even in an unfree country what would be the benefit of doing something if you had no proof they were a threat, unless you lock up everyone?

UK is realtively free and we have been quite successful atb reducing the IRA threat to its current relatively minor level......
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Well yesyou need proof but even in an unfree country what would be the benefit of doing something if you had no proof they were a threat, unless you lock up everyone?

Thats what they've done throughout history isn't it? They didn't stop at locking them up either. I was just making a point that its very difficult to stop domestic terrorists.
  • Options
    The M.O. does seem to be that of Al-Qaeda, simultaneous attacks, large numbers of civilian dead, well co-ordinated, no warning.
    None of which are the hallmarks of ETA, even in their hey-day.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    i remember reading an article recently in a Spanish newspaper that said ETA announced a ceasefire

They terminated it later on when the Spanish government wouldn't start talks about independance for the basque region.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    The answer lies in killing all the fucking terrorist scum we find.

Does that include all the terrorists that the US has sponsored? Does it include Nelson Mandela (branded as a terrorist by Thatcher in the 80's)?

See, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    The M.O. does seem to be that of Al-Qaeda, simultaneous attacks, large numbers of civilian dead, well co-ordinated, no warning.
    None of which are the hallmarks of ETA, even in their hey-day.
    And exactly six months prior to/after the anniversary of 911, which may be relevant.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Does that include all the terrorists that the US has sponsored? Does it include Nelson Mandela (branded as a terrorist by Thatcher in the 80's)?

See, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Gotta say I agree. :yes: Whilst I don't believe bombing people is the way to go about it, I think people tend to forget what countries have been funded/trained by the USA and where a lot of their weapons come from. You think 'terrorist', yet many ignore how the west are forcing themselves upon 'less developed' countries via globalisation. People seem to forget how many people have died from sanctions on Iraq for example.

I think if anybody goes against the government of their country, no matter their cause they're labelled as criminals, deviants and whatnot.
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    Sky News: Al Qaeda Claims Bombings

What do they (Al Qaeda) want? I obviously am not very well read on the subject but most terrorist organisations have a political goal; whereas Al Qaeda are going abroad and seem to be just bent on killing everyone!
  • Options
    And, as it's been pointed out, exactly 30 months after 911.
  • Options
    I'm actually glad it is Al-Qaeda instead of ETA. Madrid will be reluctant to punish ETA because it's impossible to find them, and a bombing campaign will only target Spanish civilians.

Al-Qaeda though, I was wondering when they'd surface again. Shoot them all and send them to hell where they belong.
  • Options
    I'm actually glad it is Al-Qaeda instead of ETA.

Yet to be proven.

The detonators and explosives are exactly the same as those found on ETA agents twice since December.

Just because the method is new for them, doesn't mean that it wasn't them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    And, as it's been pointed out, exactly 30 months after 911.

Are you taking the piss? Because I'm pretty certain that Bin Laden and his crew have never been that interested in anniversaries...
  • Options
    I'm talking about the M.O. and the letter that was recieved.
    It could have been ETA working with Al-Qaeda, however I hope not, because the Spanish have no real way of retaliating against ETA without endangering Spanish civilians.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Are you taking the piss? Because I'm pretty certain that Bin Laden and his crew have never been that interested in anniversaries...
    Why? Because they never sent you a card? Did you know that Osama's favourite movie is Planes, Trains And Automobiles? Something to think about... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I would wait on this people, the news today seems to be swinging back towards to ETA acting alone.
  • Options
    Why? Because they never sent you a card? Did you know that Osama's favourite movie is Planes, Trains And Automobiles? Something to think about... :rolleyes:

No, because if they were into anniversaries they would plan the attacks 12 months, or 24 months after the attack, not 30 ffs. What's the significance of 30 anyway?
  • Options
    I'll admit to the possibility of Al Qaida being behind although I'm still inclined to believe it was ETA. Unless it was a collaboration between the two- something that does not bear thinking about.

It is true that ETA have never attempted something so twisted before. But it is also true that the organisation is at its weakest and within the last 2 or 3 years its entire high command has been arrested. It wouldn't surprise me if some minor- and deranged- minion is now in charge and he believed that since "moderation" :rolleyes: wasn't taking them anywhere it was time for more drastic action.

If it is confirmed it was ETA this will be entirely counter-productive as even some of its supporters will have been horrified and disgusted by it.

However the cleverest thing they could do is try to point the blame to Al Qaida. That way those who want to support ETA can do so with a clearer conscience :rolleyes: while at the same time the Spanish government knows it was really ETA that did it and the blackmailing effect is achieved all the same.

It could well be that it was Al Qaida after all, although the finding of a van with detonators and 'a tape in Arabic' makes me rather suspicious. This looks like a 5-year-old attempt to incriminate others.
  • Options
    Just to add that I was watching the newspaper review on the news this morning and Robin Cook had written something in the Independent that struck me: he said that since 9/11 Al Qaida has 'set the standards' of terrorism and that most other terrorist organisations would now aspire to create similar atrocities.
  • Options

I thought it was Rambo 3...

But no he never send cards, not even a phone call. I mean it's not as if he couldn't at least get in touch, tell me how he is and where he's been...
  • Options
    LOL. Nice quote from Cook there Al, especially since anything Bin Laden may apply as far as "standards" he invariably learned from his years of guidance by the CIA.

The standard was set and institutionalised long before Bin Laden ever became the boogeyman flavour of the month. Our boys simply know better how to keep their activities and involvements out of the mainstream media.
  • Options
    No, because if they were into anniversaries they would plan the attacks 12 months, or 24 months after the attack, not 30 ffs. What's the significance of 30 anyway?
    Nice round number, and not as obvious as doing something on the actual anniversary. It still may have been ETA, but the scale of the attacks suggests collusion. Amazing how innovative shadowy organisations can be with the right motivation.
  • Options
    No, because if they were into anniversaries...
    You might also recall that the Americans didn't wait a full 12 months for a fancy memorial. Possibly because they wanted to stir up public sentiments again well in advance of attacking Afghanistan.
  • Options
    Something that made me shiver when I heard it. There was 911 days between 9/11 and this attack in Madrid. Now please tell me that this was the work of ETA? I think not.
  • Options
    Oh sod off, Americans are not all the same and your comments are pathetic, lazy and stupid.

As for who did this, I think its obvious that ETA had the ability to do this, they had all the training needed and the explosives. The question is, not COULD they do it but did they have the WILL to do it.

All the 'experts' I have heard have suggested that ETA would never deal with Al Qeada, one compared Ian Paisley and the IRA working together.

Could this be a break away group of ETA a bit like the 'Real IRA' which did things like the Omagh bombing and the blasts in West London.

You would really only need 10 or so people do pull this off.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Eeyun
    Something that made me shiver when I heard it. There was 911 days between 9/11 and this attack in Madrid. Now please tell me that this was the work of ETA? I think not.
    That's actually damn close, if my rough maths aren't screwed up, which isn't impossible. Eek, even.
  • Options
    It wasn't a suicide bombing, the hallmark of Al Queda and other Islamic extremists.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Oh sod off, Americans are not all the same and your comments are pathetic, lazy and stupid.

He does have a point about the date thing though.
  • Options
    I'm actually glad it is Al-Qaeda instead of ETA.

Last I checked there were 190 people dead. What is there to be glad about?

About the whole anniversaries thing... I doubt there's some connection on that front, but Whowhere the arabic calendar (should it be Al Qaeda) is not similar to the western one. If you think in Western terms of course 30 is not gonna make sense, but who knows what the number 30 could symbolise in Islam? Have to think a bit out of the box.