Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Up to 140 murdered in Madrid by c*nts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3500452.stm

Luckily my family is all accounted for.

What a bunch of cunts! :mad:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    scum
  • Options
    Outrageous act.

If it is ETA, as suspected, then there is proof positive that some group just aren't interested in negotiations. I understand that the Spanish Govt has tried in the past, but failed miserably.

So, what can they do about this group?
  • Options
    I don't think you can negotiate with terrorists like this. Their aim seems to be to murder as many people as possible, how can anyone give concessions to bastards like that.

As for what to do about them, it seems pretty hopeless. The only option is to keep on trying to infiltrate and indentify them. This is the downside of living in a free country.
  • Options
    Blimey, I heard this on the BBC news this morning and they were saying about 5 deaths.

This is quite a step above for ETA (if it is them) isnt it? I mean is this a far larger number of deaths than they have done before?

I thought they mainly tried to attack financial or property targets, maybe I was wrong.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it is ETA. During the 80s they targeted civilians until that was deemed counter-productive and they concentrated on police and the military. In the last few years they had scaled it down further and started giving advanced warnings and to target businesses and tourist resorts. But now they're said to be at their weakest time ever, with a decimated member list and resources. So whoever's in charge now decided a change of tactics was needed.

These fucking cunts only represent about 8% of the Basques anyway. Although about half of them would like to see an independent Basque nation very few support violence for achieving this.

But then as you said ETA cannot be reasoned with. They run drugs and extortion cartels and they're not interested in democracy.

The answer lies in education. Most of ETA's members are early-twenties kids who have been brainwashed since birth about the Spanish being evil and all of that. And although this only happens in a few remote areas all you need is about 100 people with such mentality- out of a population of 2 million- to keep it going.

The only positive outcome out of this would be if even hardened pro-independence politicians and public turn their backs on the group in disgust for good.
  • Options
    :( I'm just looking some things up and it *sounds* similar to the northern ireland conflict. Either way I think political negotiation always works best; but on the other hand if the IRA weren't as extreme as they were I doubt the British government would have taken the nationalists in Northern Ireland seriously. Alledgedly, the ETA are responsible (according to the Spanish government).
    "Although the Basque region of northern Spain and southern France has enjoyed a high level of autonomy for two decades, ETA continues to demand complete independence from Madrid, as well as the transfer of more than 500 ETA members from Spanish prisons to facilities within the Basque region."
    TheImageWorks http://www.theimageworks.com/eta/default.htm

BBC's 'Who are ETA?'
    Just reading that and I read: "The following year, Eta decided to call an indefinite ceasefire.

But that was officially ended in December 1999 after the government refused to discuss Eta's demands for Basque independence."

it sounds like Spain missed their oppurtunity... But there's no possible way the situation can be resolved through security forces alone; it already seems like there is little public support for the ETA but I still beleive if Spain enter talks with them to try to come to a compromise then the process that will end the current situation can begin.

It's horrible that innocent people have to die just for some people to get their message across :( I mean they obviously targetted the train stations in rush hour because the maximum amount of people would be hurt. I don't see why the ETA would allegedgly do this because it's not winning them any sympathy.
  • Options
    Exactly the attacks on holiday resorts with a warning was the kind of attacks I had seen by them in the past. So this to me seems a serious change.

I just heard on Radio 4 that this could well be (if not already certain) ETA's most deadly attack yet.
  • Options
    Yes it is the deadliest attack yet. Their previous record was 21 people burnt to death in Barcelona in the 80s with a especially constructed inciendiary bomb that went off in a supermarket car park.
  • Options
    Reports say ETA has denied responsibility, can this be trusted? What about ETA dissidents?

Spanish Interior Ministry has said at least 173 dead, hundreds more injured.

Radio is saying its possibly something to do with Al Qeada, can't see it myself but its always possible with the Spanish government being supportive of US.
  • Options
    Well according to Radio 4 they are saying Arabs not really Al Queda. But what difference that is I dont know.

But as you say the leaders of the political wing of ETA have denied having anything to do with it.
  • Options
    Aladdin; Have you heard much about this recent report into mistreatment of prisoners with ETA ties?
  • Options
    Bongbudda, there are a number of different terroist organisations with fundamentalist muslim beliefs, and the comments about an 'arab' threat seem to be coming from the leader of the Basque separatist party. It could be said he would have something to gain from people considering alternatives to ETA - though he may be right.
  • Options
    One of the minor demands by ETA (aside from the main ones of independence, amnesty for prisoners etc) is that prisoners stay in prisons in the Basque region. At present there is a government policy where ETA prisoners are sent to prisons all over Spain. The Spanish authorities say this is to prevent mass regrouping of ETA members under one roof as this would lead to better organisation and even leadership of the band from prison. ETA says this is to punish the prisoners and to make visits by their families more difficult and costly.

The truth lies probably somewhere in between.

As for mistreatment, there probably has been and still is bullying or even beatings by some prison guards. As it is the case with 'ordinary' prisoners. However there is no co-ordinated effort of mistreatment and it is not widespread as ETA would have us believe.
  • Options
    I didnt mean to suggest that all Arab terrorist groups are the same, perhaps I didnt word it that well.

I was just pointing out that Radio 4 have been commenting, that the head of ETA, or the political wing at least was talking about Arab groups rather than Al Qaeda.
  • Options
    There is naturally a chance that it might be someone else. Conspiracy theorists on another forums are even suggesting the Spanish government did it... :rolleyes:

It could be Al Qaida... but it has all the hallmarks of ETA even though this is a departure from 'traditional' attacks. The Spanish government has said the explosive used matches that of an unexploded bomb ETA members were carrying recently.

The reason for the denial could be just tactical. Officially they say they didn't do it, as some people who are sympathetic to ETA could draw a line and withdraw their support. But then they know that the government knows it was them so the blackmailing effect remains.
  • Options
    I have heard reports that there was supposed to be another device that didnt go off and they did a controled explosion on. So I guess that will be a good clue as to who made the bombs, given the materials used.
  • Options
    Originally posted by godscop
    This is the downside of living in a free country.

I don't quite see how terrorist problems are related to the freedoms enjoyed by that country........

I beleive ETA first started operating during the years of Francos rule? I may be wrong..........:confused:
  • Options
    Latest reports from Spain say a total of 13 bombs were planted in 4 trains. Three failed to explode. The government claims it already knows the kind of explosive used and it furthers confirms that ETA was behind.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    There is naturally a chance that it might be someone else. Conspiracy theorists on another forums are even suggesting the Spanish government did it... :rolleyes:

Clandestine posting on other forums then? ;)

Oh, hang on though, he'd be blaming Bush... :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Clandestine posting on other forums then? ;)

Oh, hang on though, he'd be blaming Bush... :D

Just remember, MoK said that - not me! :D

Either way, how possible is it for the Basques to seperate themselves from Spain, speaking logically?
    As far as I understood they're pretty dependant on Spain.
  • Options
    This is why we must continue the War on Terror with all our strength.

The answer lies in killing all the fucking terrorist scum we find.

Opened your eyes a bit eh Aladdin? Slightly less naive now?
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore

Stop it. Please, stop.
  • Options

Asshole.
  • Options
    To answer your points MoK,

1. yes i post elsewhere as well.

2. No, and most matters that you would dismiss as "conspiracy theory" (though nonetheless true and conspiratorial in accordance with how the larger political arena operates) do not involve Bush, even though in some instances he might happen to be the beneficiary of such backroom plans and operations.

In the case of ETA, this is a Spanish/Basque national issue pure and simple.

Oh and don't fret Jacq, i don't think i have any trouble telling you and MoK apart, you've got a better figure by far! lol.
  • Options
    i remember reading an article recently in a Spanish newspaper that said ETA announced a ceasefire , :confused: , dissidents maybe, al qaeda- very unlikely
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    To answer your points MoK,

I wasn't being serious!
    Oh and don't fret Jacq, i don't think i have any trouble telling you and MoK apart, you've got a better figure by far! lol.

Ah, but then you haven't seen me at the weekend....

Did I say that out loud?
  • Options

Fuck off you clueless...
  • Options
    My sympathies Aladdin.
  • Options

whats the odds that matadore is in reality an inbred neo-con hick from texas that hasn't got a clue about anything.
  • Options

Typical fucking Bushite, making fucking political capital out of a fucking tragedy.

Besides which, ETA have been around for pushing 40 years- almost as long as the darlings of America, the IRA.

From the information, it looks like all the trains were supposed to pull into Atocha station at the same time- thank fuck that didn't happen.

Vermin, vermin, vermin. They should be punished in the most unspeakable ways possible- and the victims' families should be able to do the torturing if they want.