Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Abortions

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh certainly, the sex education in this country is shockingly poor, we have by far the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Western Europe.
  • Options
    Funny thing is, a lot of the anti-abortion lobby are also against sex education in schools. Work that one out. :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Funny thing is, a lot of the anti-abortion lobby are also against sex education in schools. Work that one out. :confused:

Sex is evil, innit? Good people don't, so those who do deserve everything they get :yes:
  • Options
    Does anyone know the percentage/proportions of schools in America teaching abstinence-only education?

Slightly unrelated, but if anyone's interested to know, this man was fired
  • Options
    This world is too modern to be ruled by age old christian values. I'm glad I don't live in the U.S, too many nutty bible bashers and rules vary from state to state.
  • Options
    The sad thing is that this has very little to do with proper Christian values as they are properly described in the Bible.

Ideas such as forgiveness, something that Jesus was really big on seem to have been lost.

To my mind these types of things have FAR more to do with the people who term themselves Christains than Christianity itself.

And I think to suggest that Christian values dont apply anymore, I'm not so sure of that, the Ten Commandments are pretty much as true today as they were then.
  • Options
    I really think, that if a child is unwanted, is not going to be cared for well, if the child is not going to have a secure stable and good quality of life, then maybe it is more responsible for the parent to have that abortion.

Im pro choice, im not saying abortion is always the right thing to do, Im not saying it is wrong, im saying every situation is different, sometimes abortion is the lesser of two evils. We should be allowed a choice.

If i fell pregnant now, and i use two methods of contraception to ensure that i dont, i would have an abortion, i wouldnt carry on with the pregnancy and give the baby up for adoption, because i could never give up a child, but i know the baby would have a terrible life. I would be an unbelievable shite mother and no baby deserves that.

A feotus doesnt have a right to life in my eyes, only once it is a baby does it get that right. I always feel that the mother's piece of mind, stability etc is far more important than that of a feotus.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dantheman
    This world is too modern to be ruled by age old christian values.

The world isn't too modern to be ruled by Christian values, the Ten Commandments are pretty useful even now and Biblical morality, such as forgiveness and empathy, are EXACTLY the sort of rules that everyone should be following.

Don't fall into the trap of confusing religious bigotry with religioous morals. The morals of Christianity- what jesus taught- are still useful, are still valid, and should continue to be used. What the trouble is that many so-called Fundamentalist "Christians" don't actually obey these rules and morals, and go off on one about abortion and sex and Muslims. They are not true Christians, in the same way the priests who rape young boys are not Christians.

I'm sick of always reading that Christians are to blame for everything- it's not Christians, it's the Bible Belters who ahve closed minds that are to blame. And they are about as Christian as Beelzebub.
  • Options
    Worship no other gods? No graven images? Not taking the lords name in vain? Don't work on the sabbath?

Yeah, very relevant.
  • Options
    I thought Beezlebub stopped being cllled Beezlebub 400 years ago..
  • Options
    Well, not worshiping other God's is still relevent to Christians, because they should believe in only one God.
  • Options
    Not relevant to the rest of us though is it?
  • Options
    Let's remember (once more, and to be repeated for all eternity) that religion and morality don't necessarily go hand in hand, and that atheists are perfectly capable of having a sense of morality.

As it happens I often find that the more religious the person is, the more warped their sense of morality. But there you go...
  • Options
    Aladdin.. I completly agree with that last bit.

I mentioned that to my Religious Ethics class, about 1/4 of us are athiest, 1/4 muslim and the rest are christians. Now the christians are very full on and are so 'religious' that they attack, bully and are very very nasty to the few gay people in my class.

Doesnt sound like 'love thy neighbour' to me..
  • Options
    I think the problem is, if you have a certainty, a set of values or rules that are certain, then others who feel theirs are certain too are threatening. How can you have two sets of certainties.

I personally have nothing against Christians per say, in fact many people I have met who are moderate Christians, people I feel are really following the teachings of Jesus are really nice people, very gentle and at peace.

However, of course there are people who call themselves Christians/Muslims whatever that bring their faith into disrepute. They are not a reason to dislike the faith.
  • Options
    a lot of the christians i went to school with were right little hitlers, they had there own little groups, would laugh at the non christians for things as trivial as if they had 'two stripe' gear, they were really bitchy and would straight and tell the teachers if anything wrong was going on (i.e bunking, smoking etc) they really were not good role models and from knowing there parents, they were just as bad and snooty to the non christians. i think of myself as non religious, i believe in god but im not going to go to church or live by rules lay down thousands of years ago, i also dont like the way they act, so id rather belive in my own way and hope for the best.

anyway back on topic, im pro abortion, why SHOULDNT a girl or woman of any age be allowed to terminate an unwanted pregnancy? she couldnt look after it, if she gave it away she would be wondering every day what the baby wa doing and how it was getting on. its not fair that a baby should be brought into the world when its not wanted. especially in rape cases or cases where the child would be handicapped, i know from first hand experience (my auntie has spina bifida) how hard it is to look after a baby, my gran had serveral nervous breakdowns trying to cope with looking after my aunt and other family members had to raise her, shes normal but shes not happy, she cant walk and gets terribly jealous and depressed at her situation all the time. my gran never wishes she didnt have her, she loves her, but when you have an abortion you dont get a chance to love the baby and that makes it easier for the woman. of course abortion is never a form of contraception like 'oops my boyfriend didnt want to use a condom now im up the duff, off to the clinic with me' you should take every measure not to get pregnant if its not going to be wanted, but sometimes contraception fails, its not always black and white.

abortions never going to be easy on the mum, so i dont see why people who go through with it are made to feel worse when no-one does it at the drop of a hat
  • Options
    I remember when I was having my training to teach sex ed, and we had a lady in from a clinic that also provides termination of pregnancy as a service. She said a lot of the women who come in say they are deeply religious, and they were always always so against abortion.... until they became pregnant themselves, and they used any reasoning and means necessary to believe that their own abortion was the only moral one.

I know this is based purely on anecdotal evidence, but I thought she brought up a good point.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Abortions
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    As for something happeneing whilst she was under anaesthetic, surely this could equally happen if her parents knew about the operation?

oh yeah it could, but imagine me sat here getting a knock on my door telling my Daughter(who i thought was at school or wherever), is laying in a hospital mortuary dead......one hell of a shock for the system.
  • Options
    Certainly, I can see that being horrific. But then if your 13 year old comes home and says that she is keeping a baby from a one-night-stand might be a bit of a shock too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Certainly, I can see that being horrific. But then if your 13 year old comes home and says that she is keeping a baby from a one-night-stand might be a bit of a shock too.

no i'd want the 13 yr old to have a termination, she would still be a child herself and to have a baby is a major responsibility.

I think any parent obviously would be really upset, annoyed in fact many emotions would come into it but at the end of the day that is their Daughter and I personally would want to be there helping her though this hard time.
    Lets face it we all have been young and stupid so why should your own Daughter be any different ? Yes parents would be really annoyed but they would come to terms with their teenage daughter being pregnant in the first place.
  • Options
    Would they? I'm not sure some would.

Obviously its all very well saying that the kids should be talking with the parents, but, well some parents just dont have that type of relationship with their parents. I know I would have never come to my parents about that sort of thing when I was a teen.
  • Options
    Yeah true some families dont speak. I never really spoke about personal stuff but when there was something that my parents needed to know i got my Sister to tell them cos I chickened out.

I hope that I will be able to talk about anything to my Daughter and then in years to come if this type of conversation ever came up she would know that i would be there, she would probably get a telling off and she would know I wasnt happy.......but I would be there for her.
  • Options
    Some parents would kick their kid out on the street.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Abortions
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    oh yeah it could, but imagine me sat here getting a knock on my door telling my Daughter(who i thought was at school or wherever), is laying in a hospital mortuary dead......one hell of a shock for the system.

That happens already with emergency cases, had one here two days ago. 16-y-o motorcyclist, last time his parents saw him was as he left for school...

Thing is that parents have no automatic right to know about the medical condition of a child, if that child doesn't want them to know. Therefore to tell them that their daughter was to have a TOP would breach her right to confidentiality...
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Abortions
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    That happens already with emergency cases, had one here two days ago. 16-y-o motorcyclist, last time his parents saw him was as he left for school...

Thing is that parents have no automatic right to know about the medical condition of a child, if that child doesn't want them to know. Therefore to tell them that their daughter was to have a TOP would breach her right to confidentiality...

Yeah true.

So lets assume a child has been poorly, they go to see the G.P and are diagnosed with cancer the parents are not told if thats what the child requests ?

I understand breach of confidentiality and appreciate that doctors are not allowed to disclose information but thought that in some cases they can.
    Also assuming a minor goes into hospital and has to have an anastetic and the parents are not aware, who gives consent on the form you sign ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    I mentioned that to my Religious Ethics class, about 1/4 of us are athiest, 1/4 muslim and the rest are christians. Now the christians are very full on and are so 'religious' that they attack, bully and are very very nasty to the few gay people in my class.

Oh, for crying out loud!

To say that all Christians are gay-bashing abortion-doctor-murdering religious bigots is as MORONIC as saying that all Muslims are terrorists because of Osama Bin Laden.

Most Christians are NOT bigots, but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good old bit of Christian-bashing, eh? Most of you seem capable of undefrstanding that Abul Hamza doesn't represent Islam, so why the difficulty in understanding that the rapist priests and the Alabama Bible-belters don't represent Christianity?

It's not a difficult concept to grasp.
  • Options
    Abortion is an interesting example of unsolvable moral dilemma. Is a foetus a human being? I think people will never come to an agreement about this.
    The only way out is making babies in test tubes. Really, the traditional way is not hygienic, annoying, not aesthetical, sexist ( why it not allowed for men? It‘s unfair) and outdated in all respects.
  • Options
    I honestly cannot possibly see how anyone could classify a foetus as a human being.

I hope those who mantain that abortion should be illegal because the foetuses are babies and and thus creatures of god haven't done as much as have a wank in their whole lives. I mean, all those little god creatures ending up dying on a kleenex...
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    The only way out is making babies in test tubes. Really, the traditional way is not hygienic, annoying, not aesthetical, sexist ( why it not allowed for men? It‘s unfair) and outdated in all respects.

Been reading Aldous Huxley again?
  • Options
    I myself don't find the old fashioned way annoying at all. :)