Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pop punk/rock

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    The Clash

I find it funny, nay, hilarious and rather ironic you like The Clash, when of their most important and controversial messages was the one about immigration/patriotism etc, that you are constantly bashing. :)
  • Options
    What on earth are you gibbering about? :confused:
  • Options
    I'm still confused. :confused:

The Clash were heavily involved with the Anti-Nazi League and Rock Against Racism, so I think you may be a tad confused yourself.
  • Options
    Does he think The Clash were right-wing?!
  • Options
    I haven't the foggiest.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zero II
    Does he think The Clash were right-wing?!

Yes. While I haven't heard any of their musi myself, somebody at school was discussing a Clash album, and said I might be very offended by the lyrics, as they were often about sending all the foreigners home etc.

However, due to the fact that I have never heard any of their stuff, I have no reason to doubt what the two of you have said. Sorry.
  • Options
    That "somebody" at school is very silly.
  • Options
    Busted are pure pop, agreed?

Well name me another pop band band the same as Busted. My point was that Busted aren't pretentious. Every time "real music fans" discuss pop music, they moan about artists not singing live, artists not writing their own music, artists not forming of their own accord, artists not playing instruments. Then when a band like Busted come along and break all these myths, people are still snobby. Admit it, you don't wanna be seen to like any pop music whatsoever.

And tbh, I don't really care about integrity. That's another thing that pisses me off about "cool" music fans. They all go on about how superior they are and how all their banda are "in it for the music". Then you all moan when "xyz crappy prentious shitty band" gets to number 39 in the charts or something.

"Ohh, they've sold out, I'm no listening to them no more"

bri-namite, you really don't have a clue do you, there are 3 difinitive type of music fans, the majority are pure cheesy pop fans with no idea of music at all, including urself who buys a record because it sounds good, then there are the alledged alternatives who listen to their blink 182's ect who are mildly popular and are played on most rock stations, these people wud usually say its lyrics tat count and instrument playing etc and they do say a band sold out because it charted, however these people are just as stupid as the first group, there's the third group, which is a tiny minority that don't really listen to others people music, it's sometimes an inspiration etc but these people play their own music in their basement for as long as they live, will never sign a record deal ajnd the music really does mean something, the lyrics really do mean something for them and if that strikes a chord with someone else well their not gonna exchanging that in for money etc, thats what true music is all about so you can go back and listen to will young etc we don't really care
  • Options
    Busted write songs about wet dreams. [/random]

And they're like, 20. that surprised me, i thought they we about 16 :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Originally posted by a badSTAR
    Busted write songs about wet dreams. [/random]

And they're like, 20. that surprised me, i thought they we about 16 :crazyeyes

Someones been watching the Frank Skinner show ;)

Theres like, one line in one song that slightly refers to a wet dream. But yeeeeah...some of the songs are about weird stuff but ah well. Better than singing about the one they love all the time I suppose like Westlife etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    yo............there's the third group, which is a tiny minority that don't really listen to others people music, it's sometimes an inspiration etc but these people play their own music in their basement for as long as they live, will never sign a record deal ajnd the music really does mean something, the lyrics really do mean something for them and if that strikes a chord with someone else well their not gonna exchanging that in for money etc, thats what true music is all about so you can go back and listen to will young etc we don't really care

I used quote marks. Maybe you will in future. It really isn't hard

As for that post,I do not understand why a load of Jack Black wannabees in a basement "playing for themselves" is real music. Surely performing this so called quality music on a stage is better. Then again, you would accuse these people of being sellouts, making you like "group 2" .But then, I presume you know better that the rest of us.

Not supporting Brian ( as he is still VERY wrong about Atomic Kitten :p ) but he is right about the snobbiness by those pillocks who think it is only music if it is performed by an unsigned band.

And if you didn't care about whether people like Will Young or not, why did you mock them? Answer: because you are pretentious, the exact people Brian is talking about.

NB: this is not a personal attack on Turlough, just a general comment
  • Options
    I have just read through the whole of this thread and I have one thing to say:

I agree with everybody. Except those people that were slating Bri because of his musical preferences. That is incredibly narrow minded, and however much I do not like Will Young, I still think that people have a right to like whatever the hell they want to. It is not really up to you who he likes, just as much as it isn't up to him what you like.
    Will Young didn't spend hours in a sweaty practise room, or 2 years in a van with 4 other men to get where he is.

Maybe he didn't do that, but that doesn't mean he didn't work his arse off to get into the final, and win Pop Idol. Just because you only saw him on that show doesn't mean he hasn't auditioned for hundreds of things like it before and not got in. Some people who go in for these things work hard to get there, and I respect them for doing that, as I would not have the patience.

I would also like to say that I like most bands mentioned in this thread (bar WY, Busted, Avril Lavigne), and if I haven't heard of some of them will most likely go and download something to see if I like it (I'd buy a CD but I may not like it and that would be a waste of money). I like Good Charlotte, I like Nirvana, I like The Clash, I like Hendrix, Sabbath, Zeppelin. I like the odd pop song as well. So sue me, I can't help it if I like it, it's the way I am. People who think that you are only allowed to like one genre of music are just plain stupid, as are the people who think that you can't like a band unless you know every last detail about them. I know people like this and it makes me angry. So what if you don't know what the drummer's mum's half-brother's dad's uncle's long lost cousin's pet centipede was called. If you like the band, you like the band.

And I know that last bit was TOTALLY irrelevant but I felt like adding it in as I feel like ranting.

[/ranting and general stressing]
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    I used quote marks. Maybe you will in future. It really isn't hard

As for that post,I do not understand why a load of Jack Black wannabees in a basement "playing for themselves" is real music. Surely performing this so called quality music on a stage is better. Then again, you would accuse these people of being sellouts, making you like "group 2" .But then, I presume you know better that the rest of us.

Not supporting Brian ( as he is still VERY wrong about Atomic Kitten :p ) but he is right about the snobbiness by those pillocks who think it is only music if it is performed by an unsigned band.

And if you didn't care about whether people like Will Young or not, why did you mock them? Answer: because you are pretentious, the exact people Brian is talking about.

NB: this is not a personal attack on Turlough, just a general comment

lol, oki take your point, "group 3's" as they will be defined as, don't want to be the next jack black, they want to be the next turlough lewis (if you catch my drift) its their music, there's nothin wrong with group 1's personality wise, i think they are just a little bit narrow-minded in what they chose, if bri-namite actually looked at music as a whole, i think he would find some good, guitar-based music, classical,pop,dance,rap, however, they just listen to whats popular, group 3's don't neccessarily have to be rock-based, anyone can be a group 3er, if there is such a term, i'm angry at the fanbase as a whole, there's so much on offer we have to put up with monotonous dribble on the charts, here's a hint, sit in your room, write YOUR song, play YOUR instrument and enjoy it
  • Options
    i swear things only get into the charts becuase people buy them. just a thought.

in any case, the album charts are a far better view of popular music than the singles charts, as its people saying they like the band rather than just like the one song.
  • Options
    lol, oki take your point, "group 3's" as they will be defined as, don't want to be the next jack black, they want to be the next turlough lewis (if you catch my drift) its their music, there's nothin wrong with group 1's personality wise, i think they are just a little bit narrow-minded in what they chose, if bri-namite actually looked at music as a whole, i think he would find some good, guitar-based music, classical,pop,dance,rap, however, they just listen to whats popular, group 3's don't neccessarily have to be rock-based, anyone can be a group 3er, if there is such a term, i'm angry at the fanbase as a whole, there's so much on offer we have to put up with monotonous dribble on the charts, here's a hint, sit in your room, write YOUR song, play YOUR instrument and enjoy it

I see what you're saying but I don't agree with you. You can appreciate other people's music without having to write your own! If you don't have the talent yourself you can still listen to other people's music and appreciate how talented they are. Musical snobs like you really piss me off. Just because I can't play the guitar doesn't mean I can't appreciate good playing when I hear it.

Grrr.

Also I've just started singing with a band where the guitarist writes the lyrics... now I think I have a fairly good voice whereas the guitarist doesn't so surely it makes sense to have the good singer sing it? That's directed at whoever said that they don't want to hear a singer singing unless they're written the song themselves. Utter bollocks. You can have a good voice and a good musical ear and still be utter wank at writing lyrics.

God this thread is pissing me off.

And whoever keeps refering to Brian as 'The Will Young Fan' when you obviously know his name, that's just further illustrating how narrow minded you are, you're labelling a guy just by his favourite artist.
  • Options
    OK, I can't be arsed quoting everyone, but here goes.

I listen to what I listen to, because I choose to. Tbh, a lot of people think the reason I listen to what I do is because I don't know any better, which isn't true. I've heard my mates play all sorts of stuff, and although some of it is listenable, I dislike most of it. I choose to listen to pop, not because it's popular, but because to me, it's listenable. That's part of the reason I get pissed off when people go on about credibilty and such like. I don't even pretend to understand it, but I don't care.

However, I have generalised in this thread, I don't think all rock music sucks. Admittedly, I only really appreciate the popular end of the genre (The Strokes, The White Stripes, Muse and others I can't think of atm), the same goes for a lot of other genres. I just don't buy into this thing about "real music being born from the grass roots in a basement". Sure, if that makes you feel better, fine. And as someone said, don't assume Will Young and others haven't been rejected in the past, and had to come and try again and again, and again. Without being offensive, I homestly think that a lot of music fans (often rock or indie fans) have a musical superiority complex about these things, when infact, it doesn't matter that much to the average John on the street.

Also, don't think for a minute that bands like the RHCP and others are completely free of "manufacturing". Without picking on them, the release of their Greatest Hits was carefully planned to come out around this time of year, when sales are picking up, so more money is made. It happens all over the place, in movies, in TV, everywhere. In my honest opinion, just because a band formed ina basement and came up with songs whilst having a crap in a Portaloo, that does not make them any more worthy of my respect than any other band. Just as having a Number One single isn't necessarily deserving of much respect either these days.

To me, music is totally subjective to the individual. People (self included) are possibly too quick to dismiss one genre as being "crap", before thinking about it. Using the Busted example, people used to go on and on about how no pop bands never played their own instruments, wrote their own lyrics, sang live, formed outside the record company or anything. Now while Busted aren't John Lennons/Paul McCartneys, they have a go. Yet people still slag them off, possibly more than any other pop band. Why? Because it's pure, unashamed pop. And that basically equates to musical snobbery, simple as.

And Will Young has talent. Maybe not everyone eppreciates it, but it's there. Look at both the album and singles charts at the moment. Fact is, Will's second album has sold 20, 000 more than his first one did, on the first week of release. That hardly ever happens with pop acts, especially seeing as Gareth Gates only entered the albums at Number 11 or something.

So yeah, if people want to slag, say my opinion is worthless because I choose to have Will as my avatar, or because I choose one genre over another, fine. I can totally deal with that. But don't make out that it's because I don't know any better.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    I see what you're saying but I don't agree with you. You can appreciate other people's music without having to write your own! If you don't have the talent yourself you can still listen to other people's music and appreciate how talented they are. Musical snobs like you really piss me off. Just because I can't play the guitar doesn't mean I can't appreciate good playing when I hear it.

Grrr.

Also I've just started singing with a band where the guitarist writes the lyrics... now I think I have a fairly good voice whereas the guitarist doesn't so surely it makes sense to have the good singer sing it? That's directed at whoever said that they don't want to hear a singer singing unless they're written the song themselves. Utter bollocks. You can have a good voice and a good musical ear and still be utter wank at writing lyrics.

And whoever keeps refering to Brian as 'The Will Young Fan' when you obviously know his name, that's just further illustrating how narrow minded you are, you're labelling a guy just by his favourite artist.

you have very low self esteem if you think you can't play the guitar, unless you have no arms, ANYONE in the world can play it, it's not some gift you are given at birth, you are too lazy to try if you have that attitude, there's nothing worng with pop music as a genre, i'm just saying the pop music goin around these days is crap, i like all genres except for rap as i don't like it, and brian, ROCK MUSIC IS ALSO LISTENABLE, you are such a hypocrite in slaging us off for hating your music then saying we listen to crap, actually shitey guitar music i think you put it. look up music in the dictionary and i think that definition eradicates 90% of chart music.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite

Also, don't think for a minute that bands like the RHCP and others are completely free of "manufacturing". Without picking on them, the release of their Greatest Hits was carefully planned to come out around this time of year, when sales are picking up, so more money is made. It happens all over the place, in movies, in TV, everywhere. In my honest opinion, just because a band formed ina basement and came up with songs whilst having a crap in a Portaloo, that does not make them any more worthy of my respect than any other band. Just as having a Number One single isn't necessarily deserving of much respect either these days.

i have to agree with you there, it is an industry and there's no room for lay abouts but don't u agree that the band who made the song in the basement has far more self-satisfaction than the band who sang someone else's song to make money, i'd rather play in front off 5 people in a bar and know they are liking your music and because you wrote it than singing in front off 100.000 dissillusioned teenagers who listen to the song cos everyone else is.
  • Options
    i dont wanna get involved with this again, but.

brian - if u have will young as your avatar (not like its a bad thing, mines a tool av ffs) then people are gonna classify you, just like they would me. -if it was me who said that comment about not respecting your view etc, well then i take it back, cuz i was pretty pissed off at the time i wrote it.

also i like the chili peppers, but that greatest hits album was a bit dire, they could have put soo many better songs on it, but on the other hand, you got a dvd with with with a lot of music videos on it (not sure of the exact number), so it was value for money at the end of the day.

turlough - you say that if you had a band etc, you'd rather play in a small pub infront of 5 people instead other 10,000. but if push came to shove, and a record label wanted to sign you, are you honestly telling me you wouldnt sign. i bet every single rock or indie band etc, started out with the idea they would never sell out, and there are quite a lot around, dontcha think ?

the people who really piss me off the most are the people who will randomly turn on a band they like for signing to a major, or changing their style. example, 'we hate the Offspring because they left Epitaph records', 'blink182 sold out!!!!' etc. fuckin idiots. but by the same token there are people who think they are even more snobbish than me, by saying stuff like 'oh yeh Led Zepplin are the greatest band ever', 'pink floyd are sooo cool man', these guys piss me off too cuz most of them are around 16 and have probably only heard about 4 or 5 songs by each artist, and wear the tshirts etc.

grrr, i hate this thread too.
  • Options
    you have very low self esteem if you think you can't play the guitar, unless you have no arms, ANYONE in the world can play it, it's not some gift you are given at birth, you are too lazy to try if you have that attitude

Oh ffs that's just stupid. Yes, I can play a few chords and pick out the odd tune but for that matter who says everyone should play the guitar anyway? And you can't deny that some people ARE born with the talent and the potential - otherwise everyone would be able to become like Hendrix if they just practised hard enough which clearly isn't the case and would undermine all those amazingly talented rock gods from through the ages. What I meant was I can appreciate talented playing because I'm clearly not a talented guitarist myself. I don't get your argument really - why should everyone try to make music? Why can't people just listen and enjoy it?
  • Options
    Damnit its annoying me too. What it comes down to is a person's criteria and there can be no wrong in that, however, there is a huge sense of hypocrisy in this thread. I got picked up on for 'genre bashing' when I don't think I've been doing that, I've been artist bashing.

I can understand someone preferring pop music to different genres, whatever, to each their own. All I've done is justified my opinion that the music I listen to is better than Will Young or Busted (the cases in point). Yes, people have been bashing pop for not playing their own instruments and then a band comes along (Busted) who do, but that's because its become trendy and with a watered down version of other music they've manufactured a group.

And yes, RHCP will have LABELS telling them when to release stuff, but they've earnt it.

I'm not a musical snob, I know what a good song is and what goes into writing a good pop song, I can appreciate good pop music. Busted do write some catchy pop music but for me they're nowhere near as good as half the bands I listen to, and I'm pretty sure if you put Busted up against a band like Coheed And Cambria, musically, lyrically and technically Coheed And Cambria would win. If you want to listen to mindless pop, have fun doing it, but don't call me a musical snob for appreciating things in a different way.

If I swore I'd swear at you. I didn't know his name, I'm new, couldn't be bothered to check because I was writing, and if everyone knew who I was referring to by saying 'The Will Young Fan' then how was it a bad choice? To me so far thats his outstanding feature, thats how I know him. Didn't mean it in a bad way, so yeah, maybe you should have opened your own mind to that option...
  • Options
    Oh ffs that's just stupid. Yes, I can play a few chords and pick out the odd tune but for that matter who says everyone should play the guitar anyway? And you can't deny that some people ARE born with the talent and the potential - otherwise everyone would be able to become like Hendrix if they just practised hard enough which clearly isn't the case and would undermine all those amazingly talented rock gods from through the ages. What I meant was I can appreciate talented playing because I'm clearly not a talented guitarist myself. I don't get your argument really - why should everyone try to make music? Why can't people just listen and enjoy it?

here's my reply to that statement,1)where did i say everyone should play the guitar
    2)where did you mention you could play at least a few chords, if you did i wouldn't have made the comment that pissed you off so much
    i don't think anyone could ever have the same talent as jimmy hendrix but lets face it, learning the guitar isn't exactly rocket science,

yes, you can just sit down and listen to music and enjoy it but how do we know your average teenybopper is a heavey metal fan if they never really bothered to listen to it instead of hearing the noise and switching off. if you're gonna sit down and listen to mainstream music then have the cheek to say anything alternative is crap is pure ignorance, and don't say it doesn't happen, lets look outside music and music image as a whole, you are a typical teenager who listens to typical music who wears typical clothes, you see a 6ft tall long haired person, black clothes with a cradle of filth top on walkin past you, what wuld your reaction be, "oh he looks like a decent fella, i'm sure he is a nice person, or "what a fuckin freak". i think it wud be the latter, thats whats wrong with music today, its the whole perception of whats acceptable and whats not
  • Options
    O_o - No problem, was a bit annoyed myself. Being classified doesn't bother me really. It's just people assuming I don't know any better that gets to me a bit.

And yeah, not all rock music is shit. Shoulda found a better way to phrase it, really,

Turlough - Clearly we don't agree on what's listenable, not saying I couldn't sit through a Strokes or a White Stripes album though, but as I said, they are towards the more poppy side of rock. I'm guessing we're talking more about the edgier, more obescure side of rock music.

And you make a good point about self-satisfaction through writing their own music. I aint gonna pretend I know that much about rock music and what "it's all about", but I just sometimes get fed up when loads of people jump in and slag off pop music, when they don't know what they're on about.

And it's good that you've pointed out that there is such a thing as good pop music, instead of dismissing it all as crap. A lot of pop music annoys me too, but probably for different reasons to you.

It's all about opinions though, eh?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    O_o - No problem, was a bit annoyed myself. Being classified doesn't bother me really. It's just people assuming I don't know any better that gets to me a bit.

And yeah, not all rock music is shit. Shoulda found a better way to phrase it, really,

Turlough - Clearly we don't agree on what's listenable, not saying I couldn't sit through a Strokes or a White Stripes album though, but as I said, they are towards the more poppy side of rock. I'm guessing we're talking more about the edgier, more obescure side of rock music.

And you make a good point about self-satisfaction through writing their own music. I aint gonna pretend I know that much about rock music and what "it's all about", but I just sometimes get fed up when loads of people jump in and slag off pop music, when they don't know what they're on about.

And it's good that you've pointed out that there is such a thing as good pop music, instead of dismissing it all as crap. A lot of pop music annoys me too, but probably for different reasons to you.

It's all about opinions though, eh?

i agree totally, there is no definative answer to his argument, as the saying goes, "whatever turns you on"
  • Options
    i don't think anyone could ever have the same talent as jimmy hendrix but lets face it, learning the guitar isn't exactly rocket science,

First of all it's JIMI Hendrix. Second, learning the guitar will be harder for some people than others, same as everything. For example, I'm really good at maths (well, I'm quite good anyway), and can't see how anyone could not understand it, but my sister is really bad at maths.
    you see a 6ft tall long haired person, black clothes with a cradle of filth top on walkin past you, what wuld your reaction be, "oh he looks like a decent fella, i'm sure he is a nice person, or "what a fuckin freak".

I would think "OH WOW!! COOOOOOOOOOOL!" And not everyone is that narrow minded to think that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*l'il miss socks*x*
    First of all it's JIMI Hendrix. Second, learning the guitar will be harder for some people than others, same as everything. For example, I'm really good at maths (well, I'm quite good anyway), and can't see how anyone could not understand it, but my sister is really bad at maths.

maths=loads of letters numbers brackets graphs, the biggest load of nonsense ever

guitar=6 stings, less than 50 individual sounds, i was absolutely hopeless at the guitar 1 year ago, i couldn't even hold the strings down properly, now i can play all the chords minor and major and know most of the major scales, it really ISN'T that hard. Maybe some people will find it harder than others but if you seriously couldn't play the C chord after 30 mins of learning you are seriously fucked up, however, i wouldn't say the same if you didn't learn simultaneous equations in that time.
  • Options
    you have very low self esteem if you think you can't play the guitar, unless you have no arms, ANYONE in the world can play it, it's not some gift you are given at birth, you are too lazy to try if you have that attitude,
    i dislodged the nerve in one of my fingers so i cant press the strings properly. does this mean i have low self esteem?

playing the guitar isnt hard no. playing the guitar well, as i think she meant, is bloody hard. same as playing any instrument well is. sometimes it is just pure hard work. but sometimes people are just born with a talent for it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    playing the guitar isnt hard no. playing the guitar well, as i think she meant, is bloody hard. same as playing any instrument well is. sometimes it is just pure hard work. but sometimes people are just born with a talent for it.

That's what I meant :confused: Anyone could probably throw a few chords together, but not anyone could actually play something and make it sound like a song. I know I couldn't!
  • Options
    Yes. I don't count being able to play a few chords as being able to play the guitar. People who know how to play a few open chords and then go around saying they 'play the guitar' just annoy me. That might be because I'm going out with a very talented guitarist though.

Anyway enough of that. I apologise for being an antagonistic cow when this wasn't anything to do with me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    i dislodged the nerve in one of my fingers so i cant press the strings properly. does this mean i have low self esteem?

i think you knew rightly what i meant wen i said "unless you have no arms," this wud cover all disabilities concerning your hands,

as for the definition of playing the guitar, i wud define it as knowing how to put together a few chords quickly and making up a tune of your own, that would mean you have a grasp of what the guitar is, just because you couldn't make up a whole song with verse and chorus backing and solo doesn't mean you don't know how to play it.