Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pop punk/rock

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
er was just wondering im in to bands like lagwagon and good charlotte, and also linkin park and the new blink album rocks btw!!!

but anyone know of any other bands like this???

just thought id bring it up, im bored atm!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    good pop-punk (IMO of course):

the ataris
    something corporate
    sugarcult
    new found glory
    no use for a name
    less than jake
    lagwagon
    simple plan
    stroke 9
    saves the day
    yellowcard
  • Options
    I've had a listen to the new blink album, i thought it was awful! And they used to be so good too :( i was really disapointed.

And er.. yeah i agree with alot of kaffrins choices, also fall out boy, goldfinger, not katies, save ferris and southbase are pretty good poppier bands.
  • Options
    Re: Pop punk/rock
    Originally posted by Troubledchild
    good charlotte
    :no:
    i just laugh everytime i hear this
    No one in this industry understands the life I lead
    When I sing about my past it's not a gimmick not an act
    These critics and these trust fund kids
    Try to tell me what punk is but when I see them on the streets
    They got nothing to say
    cos they are true punk. oh yes. oh yes.
    [/sarcasm]
  • Options
    erm, if you read the title of the thread i sed they was pop punk!

f00l!!!
  • Options
    cheers kaffrin, heard of most of them but ill check out the oens i havent!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Troubledchild
    erm, if you read the title of the thread i sed they was pop punk!

f00l!!!
    oh my god. did i have an opinion about a band. im so sorry. i didnt realise i was allowed to.

hey if you can ta1k 1ik3 th15 d035 it mean you are a superior being? just a thought
    :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    oh my god. did i have an opinion about a band. im so sorry. i didnt realise i was allowed to.

yeh, how stupid of you to have an opinion, what were u thinking???

anyway check these out:

Bad Religion (best punk band ever, if you disagree, you're wrong)
    NOFX
    Misfits
    Pennywise
    Alakline Trio
    Frenzal Rhomb
    Fenix*TX (sadly are no more)
    Bouncing Souls
    Beatsteaks
    Descendents
    Less Than Jake
    Good Riddance

ok not pop punk. and u should probably check out Green Day too (if u havent already)
  • Options
    Originally posted by O_o
    i dunno, maybe i should just admit that i'll never be good enough to have one?

alk3 are cool, me and skiba are like that | |
    well, i kissed him....

you may like mxpx if you havent heard them already, which you should have
  • Options
    why would anyone in england listen to blink 182 and other american punk bands, listen to their lyrics, most of their lyrics about american social life with american slang, talkin about skatebaords and the prom, if you want true punk listen to the clash or the ramones, sex pistols etc,
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    why would anyone in england listen to blink 182 and other american punk bands, listen to their lyrics, most of their lyrics about american social life with american slang, talkin about skatebaords and the prom, if you want true punk listen to the clash or the ramones, sex pistols etc,

He said he wanted pop punk, and besides, if you are listening to that kind of music, its not for the lyrics. Would it really make that much of a difference if you heard a song cruising around town in a caddy and underage drinking at their prom or if it was about going to a pub with your mates and getting pissed and meeting some blokes?

And may I suggest Zebrahead, Mest, Lucky Boy's Confusion, Hoobastank, plain white t's and unwritten law
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess

alk3 are cool, me and skiba are like that | |
    well, i kissed him....

you.... kissed.... skiba? omg! lucky!

I haven't posted here for ages, just been lurking around, but I couldn't resist that alk3 comment!
  • Options
    yar yar yar and derek grant too
  • Options
    Ahhh pop-punk... A beautiful, beautiful thing. Well done for some of the mentions before, ie Fall Out Boy are awesome and Yellowcard are good too. Gotta love 'October Nights'.

Always when looking for Pop-punk listen to New Found Glory, Nothing Gold Can Stay and self-titled are damn fine albums.

Brand New (Your Favourite Weapon era)
    Student Rick (Defunct)
    Days Away
    Name Taken
    Bayside
    Rufio (Pop-skate punk really, but meh, thats a dumb title)
    The Reunion Show
    Motion City Soundtrack
    Limbeck
    The Format
    The Starting Line
    The Rocket Summer

A lot of those are pop-punk/pop-rock sort of bands, so check them out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfectsonnet

Brand New (Your Favourite Weapon era)
    you're after my <3
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough

Don't be so narrow minded. I can see your point of view, but lyrics are about interpretation and understanding. What you basically said just then is if the lyrics don't describe your life, you shouldn't be listening to that song.

Some bands write about American social life, or whatever, big deal, if I understand that then I can respect what they are doing and enjoy it. Maybe I can apply it to my own society and relate to it in certain ways.

If I could be bothered to write more I would, because that seems pretty silly to me.

Edited to say: Some other person made a good point. Pop-punk is mostly fun music, so the lyrics aren't really for deep analysis. However, my argument was looking at your argument on a larger scale.
  • Options
    Originally posted by O_o

anyway check these out:

Bad Religion (best punk band ever, if you disagree, you're wrong)
    NOFX
    Misfits
    Pennywise
    Alakline Trio
    Frenzal Rhomb
    Fenix*TX (sadly are no more)
    Bouncing Souls
    Beatsteaks
    Descendents
    Less Than Jake
    Good Riddance

ok not pop punk. and u should probably check out Green Day too (if u havent already)

Gotta say that with the exception of Fenix TX you're choices are spot on. Also try The Lawrence Arms. However, I would say most of these bands are punk rock rather than pop punk.
  • Options
    Also wanted to add that I think the new Blink 182 album is a grower. I've liked them since Dude Ranch was released and Take Off your Pants and Jacket was appalling. It was rushed and generally dire. However this album has more depth and less stupidity. I also like their new found experiementation. Plus the dude from The Cure is ace!
  • Options
    Originally posted by xxauroraxx
    Gotta say that with the exception of Fenix TX you're choices are spot on. Also try The Lawrence Arms. However, I would say most of these bands are punk rock rather than pop punk.

if you look, after iv posted all them bands, i've wrote 'ok, not pop punk.' which i meant as, 'ok, so they're not pop-punk', sorry if you've misunderstood.

Iv not heard blink-182's new album, but I dont like them anyway, apparently, The Offsprings new album is out tomorrow. I've heard two of the songs of it and they both sound pretty cool, so im gonna buy that tomorrow.
  • Options
    Originally posted by xxauroraxx
    Also wanted to add that I think the new Blink 182 album is a grower. I've liked them since Dude Ranch was released and Take Off your Pants and Jacket was appalling. It was rushed and generally dire. However this album has more depth and less stupidity. I also like their new found experiementation. Plus the dude from The Cure is ace!
    i liked the stupidness, i thought it was cool that for once there was an album that was about fun rather than having to have 'meaning'
  • Options
    BUSTED. now there's punk for you. fuck that american wannabe scum good charlotte, matt, charlie and (the other one) are the real deal.

woohoo, busted ROCK!
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladybirdsdie
    BUSTED. now there's punk for you. fuck that american wannabe scum good charlotte, matt, charlie and (the other one) are the real deal.

LMAO perfect, unpretentious, guitar pop. They write their own (rather amusing) lyrics, sing live, and all the music snobs fucking hate them :lol::p

My mate used to listen to Less Than Jake constantly, and I can safely say that they are utter shite :yes:
  • Options

woohoo, busted ROCK!

:lol:

you're joking right? i hope so. in case you're not:

busted, aside from being shit, are about as 'punk' as avril lavigne. i.e. not very.

just because you sing a pop song and wear studded wristbands at the same time, it doesn't make your song a punk song. and for the record there are people who do pop several million times better.

busted rock about as hard as my granny in her chair. and wtf is up with that guy's eyebrows?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    LMAO perfect, unpretentious, guitar pop. They write their own (rather amusing) lyrics, sing live, and all the music snobs fucking hate them :lol::p

My mate used to listen to Less Than Jake constantly, and I can safely say that they are utter shite :yes:

Yeah but to be fair... Hmm, how do I break this to you gently...

Will Young is your avatar.
  • Options

ltj are fun. thats the only word.
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfectsonnet

Will Young is your avatar.

Is he? Gawd, so he is.

Still doesnt't change my opinion of shitey guitar music :p
  • Options

First of all, singing live is only an issue when ur talking about pop music, because ALL rock bands i have seen perform LIVE.

Secondly, they write their own lyrics. Same as number one really. Anyone who doesnt write their own lyrics dont deserve to be famous *cough* will young *cough*.

Thirdly, if by music snobs, you mean people who like good music then yes, we fucking hate them, cuz they are fucking shit.

And finally someone who likes Will Young shouldnt be telling others what music is good (eg Busted) and shit (LTJ), cuz your opinion is worthless.
  • Options
    Is he? Gawd, so he is.

Still doesnt't change my opinion of shitey guitar music :p

Maybe it doesn't change your opinion, but it does mean we can disregard it..

Nah, I'm joking. I'm glad you have your own taste and opinions rather than just going along with whatever everyone else says, it takes guts. But Busted... Really not very good. There's a million bands doing the same thing but better AND with more integrity.
  • Options

I bet they don't sing live all the time, i know that they don't actually play live.

"look at meee *hops about* i can play the guuuitar *begins strumming at an acoustic guitar when an electric one can be heard playing*"

And what has LTJ got to do with busted?
  • Options
    does no one on this board grasp the concept of irony?
  • Options
    does no one on this board grasp the concept of irony?

Not when it is is plain text, with no emoticons, along with the fact that some people ACTUALLY hold that opinion. Unfortunately, Brian took you seriously.