Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stop Bush

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    OK, I'm going to say it one more time, so try and pay attention.

What does North Korea have to do with the war on Iraq?

It is also a despotic regime with a history of human rights abuses and, here's the difference, KNOWN nuclear capabilities. Iran is the same.
  • Options
    Its votes that count though, most people who go on these marches do NOT vote, and therefore they can be ignored. If you dont vote in the system we have why would the government care about you at all?!
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

I think the comparison between North Korea and Iraq stems from the idea that, why did we choose Iraq and not the other?

We all know why, but that still has nothing to do with the fact that Saddam had to be removed from power.

Unless you were OK to sit back while he had his people tortured/murdered and allowed them to die of starvation/disease while he built another palace or two, that is.
    North Korea is clearly trying to build up a set of nukes which must be more dangerous than the possible chem/bio wepons that Saddam had at some point.

True. But again, it has nothing to do with the Iraqi conflict.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zero II
    It is also a despotic regime with a history of human rights abuses and, here's the difference, KNOWN nuclear capabilities. Iran is the same.

...But has nothing to do with Iraq, right?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Has anyone here actually spoken to a member of our armed services who has been out there?

I have. Believe me, when you hear the response that they have recieved and see the pictures that they have brought back with them, you would not be saying that.

Yes, I agree that the motive for war was oil revenues.

Perhaps you should look at how much we rely on this natural resource before you suggest that this isn't a good reason to fight.

Added to that was my personal reason for supporting the war. People in Iraq now have some of the freedom which we take for granted. Freedom from torture? Aren't these things worth fighting for? If not, what is?

Your right to protest this week is something which has been denied Iraqis for 30+ years and yes the UK and US played a part in that. But does that mean that we should have allowed it to continue? Surely we should condemn our Govt for that, rather than for stopping such a regime?

And no, things in Iraq aren't perfect yet. By a long shot. So let's give it time, let's give the Iraqis time to sort themselves out but let's support that. We could withdraw today but the country would collapse - is that really what you want to see happen?

Let me ask another question...

What do you actually want? What is it that the protestors actually want?

Protesters arent going to protest purely because they want Bush to leave Iraq thats not it at all, many know that now its started you cant just leave. I for one would be disgusted if the soldiers left now after everything they have done. they are protesting to show that Tony Blair is continuously ignoring public opinion and consistently doing things contrary to what much of the public want. going to war in the first place, not yet giving Iraq democracy and inviting Bush over. That is what is is about. Many people dont want him in the country. Simple.
  • Options
    ...But has nothing to do with Iraq, right?

The difference with Iraq is that it has still not been proven that Iraq has WMD. We know that Iran and North Korea do, so why not go after them? America cannot style themselves as the police of the world, especially when there are so many ulterior motives at work. A lot of bad things go on in the world, but at the end of the day what business is it of the West what goes on within countries. It's when countries start aggressing others (like the coalition have just done, one might say) that intervention is necessary.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    I read somewhere about how a tiny proportion of the money spent by the American government was used to give to Saddam was then in turn given to certain other leaders in terrorism and so forth. I cant say what exactly because i dont know the details off the top of my head, i could try and find them.

However, none of what we are debating about really matters. Because as much as each of us thinks we know the truth, thinks we know what is best. We dont. None us do because weve all been persuaded by the media and government into thinking a variety of things. No one really knows the facts we can only specualte based on what weve heard, but who is to say what weve heard is true?

Thats the point i want to make, nobody knows because weve been lied to, confused, heard the government say one thing and do another and so forth.

None of us knows the ins and outs of any of this. Which is what makes GWB and TB even more annoying, and gives me even less respect for either of them as 'leaders' or criminals of war, as i think of them,
    but there is a lot that we do know from modern history. we know why the russians inveded afghanistan ...beause the americans were destabalizing the area in order for unacol to build their pipeline ...russia couldn't have that happening on her borders. we know the cia funded the mujahadien to fight the russians and that they eventualy led to the formation of the taliban and also alquida. we know about the bush binladen partnership of the last 25 yrs. we know the administration had said they needed another pearl harbour to galvanise public opinion ...and we got new york. we know that the military and the cia were going to luanch terrorist attacks on american soil in the 60's and blame it on cuba so they coulkd invade ...kennedy refused. we know that the biggest terrorist atrocity on american soil before 9/11 ...the oaklahoma bombing was carried out by a right wing american christian ...the same kind as now holds power ...libya were bombed dreadfully for the oaklahoma bomb by the way ...in short we know what a devious, lying, corrupt bunch of shits end up running the world from the whitehouse. a bit confusing i know but all these things teach you a lot about what your dealing with and protesting about.

kiezo grow up little boy! it's called widening the debate ...d.e.b.a.t.e. .......................................... .. ... .... .... ....
  • Options
    they are protesting to show that Tony Blair is continuously ignoring public opinion and consistently doing things contrary to what much of the public want. going to war in the first place

Consider this for a second:

Imagine, in some far fetched, way out there reality that the leaders of countries have access to intel. from their, and allied countries' intelligence agencies, that for good reason, you don't have access to.
    not yet giving Iraq democracy

You really think it's as simple as the troops going in, over-throwing the old regime that's been in power for more than 20 years, and just 'giving' them democracy?
  • Options
    The difference with Iraq is that it has still not been proven that Iraq has WMD. We know that Iran and North Korea do, so why not go after them?

You're really not getting this :/

I know exactly what you're saying, and I agree with it, but it still has nothing to do with the war in Iraq.
  • Options
    Protesters want their voices heard.

But what is it that they want heard?

"People don't want Bush here"? It'll will be a bit late then, because he'll already be here. So what do you think that you will achieve.

In the Sixties the anti-Vietnam protest had a goal. Stop the war, and they did manage to change the Govt. But this protest comes to late for most of the things the protestors apparently want.

So what do people see as the "Goal" of the protest?
    As you have said before, write a letter to your MP. But for the majority of people they see this as pointless. People bothering to give up a days pay to march, going out of their way to march about in the cold, i think, is going to have a bigger impact. The government is already aware that people dont agree, but thats not enough a lot of people wish to make it more obvious.

Impact, yes.

Action? No.

It didn't work earlier, the war still took place.
    Protesting is one of the only ways most people feel they can be heard.

It's one thing to be heard, but entirely another to get people to listen to you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

kiezo grow up little boy! it's called widening the debate ...d.e.b.a.t.e. .......................................... .. ... .... .... ....

Ah, and here was me thinking you were just going off on incoherent t.a.n.g.e.n.t.s..................................................... .... ... . . .. . .. ..
  • Options
    I for one would be disgusted if the soldiers left now after everything they have done. they are protesting to show that Tony Blair is continuously ignoring public opinion and consistently doing things contrary to what much of the public want.

But what is it that the public want?
    going to war in the first place,

Agreed, the public are apparently un happy wit hthat. But you cannot change that now, it has already happened.
    not yet giving Iraq democracy

Oh come on, that is a typical response from someone who has grown up with such democracy in place. Look at the countries where democravcy exists and see how long it took them to get there.

Until a few months ago many Iraqis weren't allowed to even have an opinion. Do you think you can change an entire culture overnight?
    and inviting Bush over.

He is the Head of State of one of our biggest "allies". Would you object if Chirac recieved the same welcome?

Did you protest against the Chinese delegation?

Why shouldn't he be invited over?
  • Options
    We all know why, but that still has nothing to do with the fact that Saddam had to be removed from power.

Unless you were OK to sit back while he had his people tortured/murdered and allowed them to die of starvation/disease while he built another palace or two, that is.

True. But again, it has nothing to do with the Iraqi conflict.
    of course north korea has nothing to do with iraq but ...
    it is your belief that tony and george were so concerned about, people being tortured/murdered and allowed to die of starvation/disease while he built another palace or two, that it begs the question why we don't invade north korea for those very reasons and those reasons being legitamate in the case of north korea except it's atom bombs that they're building as opposed to palaces! there are a hundred other countries that our caring leaders should be more concerned about don't you think?
  • Options
    Moroccan roll- thats very very true.

Kiezo- of course i know its not that simple, please dont insult my intellegence that much, but, until British public see how they are working towards making the country a democracy of course we are going to question whether thats what they are actually doing. People need evidence. Because to many people, Bush is occupying the country illegally.

Somedody said earlier one of the reasons Bush went to war was to finish off what his father started. And i whole heartedly agree. I dont think it was to free the Iraqi people. It was between Suddam and Bush.

Man of Kent- the public want Blair to show respect for their wishes. He has goine against the wishes so many times. Im sure you are aware of what the public want, its been said so many times before. And yes, it may be too late once Bush is in the country, but the organisers of the protest have said to Blair that we dont want him here and if he comes we will protest. You cant make a trheat and not carry it out.

Bush may be one of our biggest allies but many people feel he is acting unlwafully and immorally, many people dont want Bush as an allie, and that is what they wish to demonstrate.
  • Options
    of course north korea has nothing to do with iraq but ...
    it is your belief that tony and george were so concerned about, people being tortured/murdered and allowed to die of starvation/disease while he built another palace or two, that it begs the question why we don't invade north korea for those very reasons and those reasons being legitamate in the case of north korea except it's atom bombs that they're building as opposed to palaces! there are a hundred other countries that our caring leaders should be more concerned about don't you think?

*claps* completly agree.
  • Options

it is your belief that tony and george were so concerned about, people being tortured/murdered and allowed to die of starvation/disease while he built another palace or two

I've already said it isn't.

What I'm saying is it doesn't matter what Bush & Blairs reasons were, Saddam was still a problem that had to be dealt with.
    it begs the question why we don't invade north korea for those very reasons and those reasons being legitamate in the case of north korea except it's atom bombs that they're building as opposed to palaces! there are a hundred other countries that our caring leaders should be more concerned about don't you think?

*sighs*

Yes, I know - that's what I've been saying all along, but it still doesn't change the fact Saddam was a problem that had to be dealt with.
    there are a hundred other countries that our caring leaders should be more concerned about don't you think?

Yes, but Saddam was still a problem that had to be dealt with.

How many times do I need to say it?
  • Options
    But was he? I mean, he was nasty to his own people, but there are lots like that, but how much of a threat was he really.

The inspectors found nothing, nothing has been found since, by the looks of things the trade bans had worked, he wanted to build things but couldnt.

What sort of threat was he?
  • Options

What sort of threat was he?

Did I say he was?
  • Options
    Why did he have to be delt with first then? Or more to the point why did we have to deal with him in this way at all?
  • Options
    Why did he have to be delt with first then?

I never said he did. We all know it was because of oil.
    Or more to the point why did we have to deal with him in this way at all?

You were quite happy to sit back knowing of the attrocities he has, and was continuing to cause without retribution then?
  • Options
    I never said he did. We all know it was because of oil.

:lol::lol::lol: ahhh that comment made me giggle
  • Options
    You can be so alarmist, and you mention others not reading posts properly.

I said he didnt have to delt with 'in this way', thats not the same as saying he should have just been left to get on with it.

Wouldnt there have been a better way of securing our oil supply, I mean I'm not an expert on international trade but this couldnt have been the only option.
  • Options

I said he didnt have to delt with 'in this way', thats not the same as saying he should have just been left to get on with it.

Wouldnt there have been a better way of securing our oil supply, I mean I'm not an expert on international trade but this couldnt have been the only option.
    we WERE dealing with it quite well. iraq was under intense scrutiny for years from weapons inspectors, sattelites, electronic surveilance of radio and phones. saddam couldn't move an army or engage in any other large scale operation without us knowing.
    the two biggest mistakes, both of wich caused the people of iraq immense harm were this invasion and before that ten years of crippling sanctions ...even on vital medicines.
    we have harmed the people of iraq on a mass scale that hussien couldn't have dreamed of!
    we had got to the point where most of the world were in agreement that iraq posed no threat to the world or his nieghbours and that sanctions should be lifted but then came 9/11 ...which had nothing remotely to do with iraq ...and years of hard work was reduced to nothing.
    it's all to easy to forget what was happening before 9/11. how many of you remember that the international community were talking about iraq resuming it's exports of oil without constraints?
    in that way iraq could rebuild her economy, resume it's place in the world of trade, big contracts back on the agenda with russia, china, france, germany, the u.k. the people of iraq would be benefitting greatly now. but the bush dynasty stopped all that ...for what?
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol: ahhh that comment made me giggle

Riiight :yeees:
    You can be so alarmist

Let me ask you then, what would you have done? Have him remain in power and continue the way he was?
    and you mention others not reading posts properly.

I know what you said, but what do you propose we do? 10 years of sanctions didn't work, so maybe we could just ask him nicely? Or perhaps attack him with raised voices and strong language?

If it was soley about securing Iraqs oil supply, do you really think the rest of the world would have just stood by and let them take it? Of course not, they'd have to have a cover story.
  • Options
    Let me ask you then, what would you have done? Have him remain in power and continue the way he was?

The way you're talking, it's like Saddam all of a sudden became a huge problem that had to be dealt with immediately. On the contrary, the only reason this whole thing started was for the reasons we explained earlier - Saddam's human rights abuses have been known about for years. If it wasn't Bush in charge it wouldn't even be discussed. They, and the lies about WMD, were convenient foils for the invasion.
  • Options

the way he was, was the way we wanted him!
    when iran was the big enemy we backed saddam to the hilt to fight the iranians and the kurds. whatever he wanted he got from us. when he wanted chemical warheads to kill and maim iranians and kurds we obliged and cheered him on when he used them.
    he was our monster.
  • Options
    why argue:|
    what can be stopped?the war started the war happened people died our people died there people died,cest la vie.

people are protesting against Bush comming to England,all he wants to do is say thanks to the people who supported him,protests wont stop him comming.
    im bored of hearing about it now.
  • Options
    The way you're talking, it's like Saddam all of a sudden became a huge problem that had to be dealt with immediately.

Then you're reading it wrong.
    On the contrary, the only reason this whole thing started was for the reasons we explained earlier

Yes, as I have said more than once already.
    They, and the lies about WMD, were convenient foils for the invasion.

What did I just say?

when iran was the big enemy we backed saddam to the hilt to fight the iranians and the kurds.

Yeah - we used him to achieve our own goals because it was convenient for us. Noone with any sense could have possibly thought we would back his every move from then on.

Unless it suited us, of course.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rockerchick
    all he wants to do is say thanks to the people who supported him

LMAO! Out of the goodness of his heart?!
  • Options
    But was he? I mean, he was nasty to his own people, but there are lots like that, but how much of a threat was he really.

Does it actually matter if he was a threat to us?

At what point does it become acceptable for someone to kill and torture (which is what you mean by "nasty") before the international community steps in and says "enough"?

Mr Roll makes a valid point that there are other, equally degenerate, regimes around the world. The question we should be asking isn't "why did we do something about Iraq" but why aren't we doing something about these regimes?
    The inspectors found nothing, nothing has been found since, by the looks of things the trade bans had worked, he wanted to build things but couldnt.

Excellent, and on the basis of what our Govts claimed was "reason for war" this should be enough to prove them wrong. But does that mean that we should sit back and watch someone oppress our fellow humans?

We would step in a feed them if they were being starved, so why not remove a regime which was systematically killing them?
    the public want Blair to show respect for their wishes

But what are those wishes? To stop a war that's already finished, to not let Bush into the country even though he will already be here.

As I said, what is it that you want him to do now, and how isn't he doing that?

In any event, if he doesn't do what you want, then you can vote him out within the next couple of years. Such is the joy of democracy and that is the only protest which a politician will actually pay attention to. Oh, and his response will be - at least you have the option of voting - the Iraqis didn't.

He currently feels invulnerable, he has such a huge majority that it would take an swing on the 1997 scale to get him out of office. The difference between then and now is that there is still no viable alternative Govt in waiting - hell the Tories supported the war too!