Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stop Bush

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For those of you who were anti war/are anti war or simply anti george bush.. (i really dont want this thread to turn into a pro war vs anti war slanging match)

Demonstrate against the state visit of George Bush - Thursday 20 November, assemble 2pm, central london (further information from Stop the War Coalition 020 7053 2153/4/5/6 or go to www.stopwar.org.uk)

'They lied to us about weapons of mass destruction, they defied public opinion to take us to war, they are trampling on the democratic rights of the Iraqi people, and now the warmongers in chief George Bush and Tony Blair are getting together in London.

Millions of people in Britain will be outraged that George Bush has been invited for a three day state visit to Britain. He will be feted, wined and dined and treated as a great statesman rather than the war criminal that he is.

It is a disgrace that Tony Blair is once again ignoring public opinion to entertain his friend at our expense.

We were lied to about the war, not a single weapon has been found. There is great instability in Iraq and no sign of any moves towards a democratic society. An illegal war is being followed by an illegal occupation.

The majority of British people now believe that the war in Iraq was not justified. They realised they were lied to about this war and the Bush visit is a slap in the face to them.

The invitation should be cancelled now. If it is not, we are putting Tony Blair on notice that we are organising three days of protest against the visit, centred round a huge London demonstration on Thursday 20 November.

Help turn that day into the biggest possible shout of anger an Bush and Blair's policies.

Be there to stop Bush'

Quote taken from the flyer

Comments

• Options
    The one thing that made me really mad was when reporters showed the USA used cluster bombs in Iraq. Which was totally the so called precicion bombing stuff they were telling us about to minimise innocent people getting hurt.

For all those that don't know cluster bombs are tiny bomb about the size of a bag of sugar, but hundreds get dropped at a time and their job is to spread over a wide area and kill as many people as possible. However sometimes they don't explode on impacta and kids pick them up cos the look like toys and blow their arms off or just die.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3158339.stm

http://peace-officers.com/articles/ar052602a.shtml
  • Options
    I don't live in the UK, but actually live in the states, but I don't agree, either, with the way that Bush and such have been, had been, and still are handling this war. I think that it's totally uncalled for.

I'm behind you guys, in the UK, full force and I think that you should do what you feel fit in doing during the visit from them.:)
  • Options
    The thing that gets me is that Bush is apparently going to be visiting the relatives of the soldiers killed in Iraq ... Now call me cynical but if remember correctly 90% of those that were killed out there were done so by so-called "friendly fire" from our supposed comrades .... If it was me the last thing I want would be a visit from the man responsible for the "war" telling me he was sorry for my loss ... when it was his boys that caused that loss ..... or is it just me .....
  • Options
    smart weapons ...dumb ass fuckers firing them!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    smart weapons ...dumb ass fuckers firing them!

Too bloody right ..... It comes under the age old adage of "Computers are only as smart as the people who use them"
  • Options
    We can hurl insults around about stupid Texans all afternoon, and go on and on about how the war was and is illegal. It makes no odds does it.

The war has happened and we need to deal with it, we cant just 'stop the war' now really, it would be worse.

I'm just not sure how much good protesting in front of George Bush will do, write to your MP's for gods sake!
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

I'm just not sure how much good protesting in front of George Bush will do,
    protest is one of the few tools of power that ordinary people have ...wheres the poll tax now?
    we have to be able to show the arab world, the jews, the chineese etc ...that we are not with GWB ...despite what our government might say.
    enough protests around the world against this american administration WILL ...make americans think about what the bush dynasty is doing to their great country and the world.
    without mass protest how do the ordinary joes in the street get their point across to the world?
  • Options
    They say upto 700 Secret service guys from the USA could be coming to protect the president??

If they're armed I'm staying well away from where Bush will be - they're well trigger happy!!
  • Options
    yeh!

& you know who's gonna pay for all those presidential dinners & 700 secret service men? the british & american tax paying public. whose country it is anyway & whose word the unholy alliance decided to go against. & who didn't even want it anyway!!!
    write to mps & protest in front of George Bush! no, we can't stop the war now, but we could try to make the american army do something about it.
    u know they let the iraqis loot the place! the oraqis burnt down buildings with national treasures in them so the americans wouldn't get them. the only thing the americans protected in baghdad is the security building. & the ordinary soldiers couldn't do anything about it cos they had no orders from the higher beings... which ultimately come from Bush.
    the infrastructure & security issue there is even worse than it was under the regime. & they need to imporve the security before they improve anything else. something like $70 million of the $86 million dollars Bush has applied to congress for is for security. not to help the ordinary Iraqi civilians, just to make them safe again!
    "Blair, Blair Bushes' man, blood blood, on your hands"
  • Options
    Originally posted by CookieMonster
    The thing that gets me is that Bush is apparently going to be visiting the relatives of the soldiers killed in Iraq ... Now call me cynical but if remember correctly 90% of those that were killed out there were done so by so-called "friendly fire" from our supposed comrades .... If it was me the last thing I want would be a visit from the man responsible for the "war" telling me he was sorry for my loss ... when it was his boys that caused that loss ..... or is it just me .....

I totally agree. I wouldn't want him coming to my house, with some kind of sympathy crap when he is the one who had started and wanted 'the war' in the first fucking place.

My father was in WWII and I know that he had horrible nightmares from it and if any of my other family members, were in this god foresaken war, and got killed, I know that I wouldn't want Bush coming and saying some kind of sympathy bullshit when it was all his fault in the first place.
  • Options
    Do you people put any thought into it before ending up at 'War is bad'?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Do you people put any thought into it before ending up at 'War is bad'?

What the fuck was the war for again? I forgot.

I heard that it was something to do with US national security. But that must be bollocks. :lol:

It sure as hell wasn't because Bush and Bliar are nice guys and really gave a fuck about the Iraqi people, was it?
  • Options
    Re: yeh!
    Originally posted by Velocity Girl
    [B u know they let the iraqis loot the place! the oraqis burnt down buildings with national treasures in them so the americans wouldn't get them. the only thing the americans protected in baghdad is the security building. & the ordinary soldiers couldn't do anything about it cos they had no orders from the higher beings... which ultimately come from Bush.
    the infrastructure & security issue there is even worse than it was under the regime. [/B]
    the only thing the troops protected was the oil ministry buildings!
    as for the infrastucture ..what do you mean it's even worse now?
    it was perfectly ok before we destroyed it. baghdad is mostly a modern city. alqueda hated hussien cos the place was very unislamic. the city is massive ...serious traffic problems to rival london. population not far off londons. the place had massive and thriving shopping centres, big indusrial estates, huge import export markets and then george bush one came along and had sanctions imposed for ten years, sanctions which deprived modern hospitals and clinics of essential drugs and even childrens medicines! george bush two comes along and destroys the electricity production ...the water supplies ...the roads and railways ...even the farming and food industries.
    baghdad was a thriving and vibrant city full of night clubs and bars
    art and antique dealers, carpet shops, wharehouses and factories.
    who the fuck are we to go and destroy all that and impose our political ideologies and systems on people with centuries old ways of doing things ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed

It sure as hell wasn't because Bush and Bliar are nice guys and really gave a fuck about the Iraqi people, was it?
    it wasnt?! ;)
  • Options

Say what you want, but Iraq isn't under Saddam anymore.
    I've heard about so many Iraqis who are now seeking to go back to Iraq, as they feel that once their country has been rebuilt they can finally come home again.
    How many wanted to go back home during Saddam?

To be honest the replies in this thread make me think that people are willing to let the ship sink, cause the war wasn't justified. And therefore we should pack our stuff, go and let the Iraqis deal with the ship.

How humane... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

To be honest the replies in this thread make me think that people are willing to let the ship sink, cause the war wasn't justified. And therefore we should pack our stuff, go and let the Iraqis deal with the ship.

How humane... :rolleyes:
    worst thing imaginable!
    if we pull out now it will have been nothing more than a huge act of vandalism. but we shouldn't have gone in in the first place!
  • Options
    worst thing imaginable!
    if we pull out now it will have been nothing more than a huge act of vandalism. but we shouldn't have gone in in the first place!

Pretty much what I would have written if you hadn't done it first. :p

It's gotta be sorted now it's been blown up. Prefererably at minimal cost to the Iraqis.

As for getting rid of Saddam, yes, he was a tosser of the highest order...but so are other dictators.
  • Options
    worst thing imaginable!

Yes we should.
    The leaders should just had been direct about it. Though it wouldn't surprise me if they held in some information which the public doesn't have the means to get hold of.
    Plus, I do believe that Saddam did have some kind of fatal weapons, which could turn out to be a great disaster.
    Who knows, maybe we'll soon discover an epidemia of Ebola?
  • Options
    Yes we should.
    no we shouldn't!
  • Options
    What the fuck was the war for again? I forgot.

That's the thing though, does it really matter what reasons they gave?

We all knew Saddam didn't have nukes, and we all know the real reason for the war was oil - but who really gives a shit? Thousands of Iraqis were dying each year under Saddam, not to meantion countless other attrocities, but did any of these anti-war protesters give a shit? Of course not, BECAUSE DIDN'T YOU KNOW? WAR IS BAD!!!

Don't you get it? Bush & Blair had to make up some bullshit excuse to try and gain support, how much support d'ya think they'da got for trying to, for want of a better word, 'liberate' the Iraqi people?

It was all too easy for you to bury your head in the sand and pretend everything was fine in Iraq before this oh-so evil war came along, and now that it has you're still ignoring the facts.

Face it, the war was a lesser of two evils, and to leave Iraq in the state it's in just now would allow the country to fall into anarchy.
  • Options
    no we shouldn't!

Why not?
    So you could indulge in your skunk while the Iraqis were tortured and had their freedom robbed for the sake of a dictator who's goal in life was to build palaces while his people were starving?
  • Options
    Lol i'm going on a french trip to london on thursday.my teacher nearly has a fit coz we all said we was gonna go protest [/random]
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    That's the thing though, does it really matter what reasons they gave?

who really gives a shit? Thousands of Iraqis were dying each year under Saddam,

It was all too easy for you to bury your head in the sand and pretend everything was fine in Iraq before this oh-so evil war came along, and now that it has you're still ignoring the facts.

Face it, the war was a lesser of two evils, and to leave Iraq in the state it's in just now would allow the country to fall into anarchy.
    thousands? how, where ...can you back this up?
    we all know saddam was an evil bastard but by your reckoning we now have to go and invade china ...argentina ...chile ...numerous african countries ...suadi arabia ...iran ...syria and on and on. of course it matters ...it matters that thousands of ordinary iraquis ...shopkeepers, taxi drivers ...teachers ...doctors etc ...who would never have come into contact with the henchmen of saddam, are now dead! thousands of them so the bush family and the binladen family and all the henchmen and cronies in this mess can get fucking fatter! and you think thats ok?

you mean the mess we have fucking made of a thriving country!

arab nations have for centuries had tribal leaders ...mostly cruel bastards at that. since the begining of time. but we can go imposing our ideolgies on other nations by killing maiming and destroying and forcing them to be like us? thats ok then ...watch out the entire middle east!
    what about the israelis ...broken every fucking international law going including human rights and ...we just turn a blind eye ...no we don't! we allow them to have around 250 nuclear missiles and supply them with all the weapons they want ...

...how come it's bad for iraquis to kill iraquis but good for americans to slaughter and maim them in their tens of thousands along with destroying their farming and maufacture. shops, homes, schools, hospitals?
  • Options
    thousands? how, where ...can you back this up?
    we all know saddam was an evil bastard but by your reckoning we now have to go and invade china ...argentina ...chile ...numerous african countries ...suadi arabia ...iran ...syria and on and on. of course it matters ...it matters that thousands of ordinary iraquis ...shopkeepers, taxi drivers ...teachers ...doctors etc ...who would never have come into contact with the henchmen of saddam, are now dead! thousands of them so the bush family and the binladen family and all the henchmen and cronies in this mess can get fucking fatter! and you think thats ok?

you mean the mess we have fucking made of a thriving country!

arab nations have for centuries had tribal leaders ...mostly cruel bastards at that. since the begining of time. but we can go imposing our ideolgies on other nations by killing maiming and destroying and forcing them to be like us? thats ok then ...watch out the entire middle east!
    what about the israelis ...broken every fucking international law going including human rights and ...we just turn a blind eye ...no we don't! we allow them to have around 250 nuclear missiles and supply them with all the weapons they want ...

...how come it's bad for iraquis to kill iraquis but good for americans to slaughter and maim them in their tens of thousands along with destroying their farming and maufacture. shops, homes, schools, hospitals?
    You're so caught up in your own world, that you don't understand the basal principle of this.
  • Options
    You're so caught up in your own world, that you don't understand the basal principle of this.
    that was no reply as usual! you often say things like this and offer no more jacq. what is this great principal that i and millions more are missing then?
    i get the feeling you wont tell me ...i ask often but get oneliners ...
  • Options
    protest is one of the few tools of power that ordinary people have ...wheres the poll tax now?
    we have to be able to show the arab world, the jews, the chineese etc ...that we are not with GWB ...despite what our government might say.
    enough protests around the world against this american administration WILL ...make americans think about what the bush dynasty is doing to their great country and the world.
    without mass protest how do the ordinary joes in the street get their point across to the world?

:yes: exactly...
  • Options
    Re: Re: Stop Bush
    Originally posted by J
    I wouldn't call Blair a warmonger. I believe there were reasons of law and order in our decision for going to Iraq, as well as for the protection of civilians there.

As i wrote at the bottom of the post, they werent my words, it was a quote taken from the flyer...
  • Options
    that was no reply as usual! you often say things like this and offer no more jacq. what is this great principal that i and millions more are missing then?
    i get the feeling you wont tell me ...i ask often but get oneliners ...

When asked, I reply.
    But you like to go off on the same tangent over and over again, since you obviously can't find something better to say.

I honestly thought you were smart enough to get mt point, but obviously you aren't.
    The essence and bare bottom of the issue is that the Iraqis have been freed from Saddams tyranny. To assure that any people of his ilk don't obtain power, we need to stay until the situation is stabilised.
    I do think that the Iraqi people deserve to have a say, just like you can on this messageboard, without the fear of getting deported.
  • Options

I understood it....

Mr Roll no offence, but obviously you do have a very strong opinion on this matter. I'm not saying what is right and wrong, I have my own opinions, which I want to keep to myself, as to avoid conflict because this thread is showing signs it could get out of hand :p

Maybe your own opinion is show strong it doesnt allow you to even look at the alternatives? I'm not saying agree with Jazq - but you really don't seem to understand what she's saying whereas I think she has quite a single argument... that the reasons Bush and Blair went to war were bullshit made up in order to liberate the people from Saddam, and now they are living a better life (or have the chance of having one) even if the bullshit reasons are unjustified. At least that's what I got from Jacq's post...
  • Options
    I do think that the Iraqi people deserve to have a say, just like you can on this messageboard, without the fear of getting deported.
    but jacq ...that logic means we have to invade and destroy a lot of countries and cultures to free the people from despots ...or is it only the ones we can profit out of financialy? the people of iraq don't look very free at the moment by the way. the country is in anarchy ...even saddam never achieved this.