Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

If you know your stuff about Religion please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But this verse was written by the same man (Paul) who said in Romans 1:17 that the "righteous shall live by faith alone". Tricky.

I know what you mean, but this goes back to my original post and the points made by Skateside. Things get changed in the translation, and there is a big question mark over the Greek word translated here as "homosexual".
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    But this verse was written by the same man (Paul) who said in Romans 1:17 that the "righteous shall live by faith alone". Tricky.

I know what you mean, but this goes back to my original post and the points made by Skateside. Things get changed in the translation, and there is a big question mark over the Greek word translated here as "homosexual".

oh well. in the end homosexuals will be accepted i beleive - i reckon it wont be long after the pope pops his cloggs since he's so anti-gay etc, people are afraid to appose him.
  • Options
    mathew chptr 7 vrse 13 ...says ...go in through the narrow gate becuase wide is the road leading to death and destruction and many are going through it. but narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading to life and salvation and few will enter into it.
  • Options
    Wow, one of the best threads I've read in ages. Respect to those who've posted. As someone who believes in God and has tried to live a Christian life for a few months now, its interesting to read the views of different people without it descending into a vicious slanging match between factions.

Keep the faith (whatever it may be)

;)
  • Options

BUT ...according to the bible men who lie with men are not acting rightous. niether are thieves drunkards etc etc. thats what it says. it says we must change our behaviour.
    the bible quite clearly states that homosexuality is wrong ...so why would any gay person want to join the christian faith?

romans chptr 1 verse 26.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    the bible quite clearly states that homosexuality is wrong ...so why would any gay person want to join the christian faith?
    The same reason any straight person would. Why do people think that gays do not have the capacity to love God?
    romans chptr 1 verse 26.
    Just "for the record" for everyone else, this verse reads:
    In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

But if you read it in context, the people in question had given up on God. They had rejected him.

Romans 1:29-31 states:
    They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.

They are faithless and God-hating. That is so important. But also, if you read that list, how many of us (gay and straight!) are arragant gossips, slanderers, disobedient to our parents...

I've said it before, and I will say it again. I believe that you can be born gay, therefore being gay in itself is not a sin. I also believe that if homosexual acts are sinful, they will be forgiven if the person has faith in Christ for their salvation.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    But didn't God create Man to Love and be with a woman? Surely 2 gay men having sex is simply for sexual pleasure and lust of the flesh?
    I don't think so, no. Believe it or not, gay people can be in love too, it's not all about sex.
  • Options
    I don't think so, no. Believe it or not, gay people can be in love too, it's not all about sex.

i think a lot of people don't/refuse to see that.
  • Options

but the man and the woman is the holy family or somethin aint it? David - Mary - Jesus

So surely that is an example for the conditions a Christian should try to live by.. when you love a woman it is for procreation, it is living as a christian or something :confused: but if you love a man, what love is there other than lust?

hmmm well that's what i think :confused: - it's quite clear though if you watch church politics on tv that homosexuals are not accepted. hopefully in time that will change because they have as much right as anybody to love god.

it's because god accepts all, but first they must cast off their sins, and homosexuality is seen as a sin, rather than a different lifestyle. i think this comes from the birth of christianity when homosexuality was as commonplace then as beastiality now (well i cant be sure but anyway!) and it was very voodoo. they just wrote laws to make it wrong *shrug*
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    but if you love a man, what love is there other than lust?
    I'm not sure I can explain sufficiently but I think there is more to it than lust, I really do. Just as there is between a man and a woman.
    homosexuality is seen as a sin, rather than a different lifestyle. i think this comes from the birth of christianity when homosexuality was as commonplace then as beastiality now (well i cant be sure but anyway!) and it was very voodoo. they just wrote laws to make it wrong *shrug*
    Homosexuality was taboo, I admit, but no less commonplace. It is inherent not learnt and therefore there will have been just as many homosexuals, but they weren't open about it.

That said, there were some openly gay people at this time. Look at Sappho...
  • Options
    theres something somewhere in the bible about those who see themselves as rightous or as seen in the eyes of men as rightous ...but are not rightous in gods eyes.
    the religous leaders of the day were seen as rightous by themselves and in the eyes of men but were seen in gods eyes as unrightous.
    so it isn't a matter of being happy with what you do but wether what you do or don't do ...being pleasing in the eyes of god.
    it's bloody complicated thats for sure!
    but ...if the christian church sees homosexuality as wrong, why don't gay people start their own religion?
  • Options
    but ...if the christian church sees homosexuality as wrong, why don't gay people start their own religion?

:yes:

i mean, why doesnt god accept everyone? I think half the laws behind christianity are just a form of 'controls' to stop people doing things like deliquency and crime. because at the time homosexuality was wrong, the christian thingy said it was wrong. i honestly dont beleive the rules of the bible are really commands from god, but merely rules, which seemed sensible 2000 years ago. if we made some now we may have some new ones like the man or woman who drinks and drives is not righteous....

does anyone get me? :confused:

I think that the rules set out by the Christian faith are derived not from any god or holy spirit, but by religous men who saw the world around them, and what social rules were needed to keep it / improve it.

well that's my point of view... and sorry for being unclear before, i beleive that homosexuals can be in love, i was trying to see it from another perspective. has anyone actually done genetic experiments to find a 'gay' gene? :confused:
  • Options
    theres something somewhere in the bible about those who see themselves as rightous or as seen in the eyes of men as rightous ...but are not rightous in gods eyes.
    Firstly, no one is righteous in God's eyes.
    Why should we? We are still Christians, at the end of the day. By forming our own religion we're making homosexuality out to be a much bigger deal than it is. Gene Robinson pointed out that those who feel that having gay bishops will cause a schism in the church are making homosexuality the most important issue for the church - and that must be idolatry!
  • Options
    By forming our own religion we're making homosexuality out to be a much bigger deal than it is.

Well homosexuality and the church is a big issue isn't it? At least, it's one of the most publicised. You can't avoid the fact because there's conflict about it at the moment that more people are interested in it. When more people are interested, more people take an opinion, when more people take an opinion, it becomes a bigger issue. If no one cared whether Gays were accepted, or whether their human right to be who they want to be is being denied by the church, then it wouldn't be an issue. But in reality a lot of people do care I think... otherwise there wouldn't be debates like this :p
  • Options
    But in reality a lot of people do care I think... otherwise there wouldn't be debates like this :p
    That's kinda my point. It's a big deal because people think it's a big deal. Obviously for me it caused some conflict and confusion for a while but I can see now that, in reality, it's not that important.
  • Options

having gay bishops will cause a schism in the church are and
    don't know if you noticed but it just cuased the biggest pile of shism the church has seen in centuries!
  • Options
    That's kinda my point. It's a big deal because people think it's a big deal. Obviously for me it caused some conflict and confusion for a while but I can see now that, in reality, it's not that important.

yer I see what you mean. I mean, you can get on with your life being gay, i mean people get stick for the clothes they wear! And they just get on with it, so it can't be that bad. I guess it's the principal that the Church doesn't see gay people as the same, in some ways 'inferior' from my perspective...

it will change in time...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    Yep. Just shows up religion for what it is, really.

Shame someone missed out the "thou shalt not fiddle with thou choirboys"

I used to know this group of Young Christians (biggest load of wankers you'll meet) and the hypocrisy was unreal. I think they're all neds now :p

I was sat here laughing for about a minute, literally. :D
  • Options
    i could of sworn your username was thedochoratio:eek2:

edited cos i can't spell........
  • Options
    Originally posted by fugue
    i could of sword your username was thedochoratio:eek2:

it did use to be :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by fugue
    i could of sword your username was thedochoratio:eek2:

Really? *smirk*
  • Options
    *slaps*

man quit your smirking will ya! :p

I just think of a fish now when i see your username. I will call you fish head from now on. that is all.
  • Options
    so PICCOLO ...you don't have faith ...in the scriptures ...as of being the word of god? i would have thought that faith or belief should be based on knowledge. where is your faith from and what is it based on? is your faith based in the fact that you believe the scriptures to be the wise words of men or ...the inspired words of god?
    becuase the majority of christians have faith based on knowledge from the scriptures and belief that it is the inspired word of god.

at second timothy chptr 3 vrse 16/17 it says that all scripture is inspired of god and beneficial for setting things straight.

so if you were in a country where christianity were illegal and you were arrested for being a christian ...would they have enough evidence to convict you ...on your life style and practices according to those scriptures?
  • Options
    so PICCOLO ...you don't have faith ...in the scriptures ...as of being the word of god? i would have thought that faith or belief should be based on knowledge. where is your faith from and what is it based on? is your faith based in the fact that you believe the scriptures to be the wise words of men or ...the inspired words of god?
    All scripture is God-breathed
    I know that.

My faith is based on the fact that I believe in God; I believe that his son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins.

What I have a problem with is the potential for mis-translation in the scriptures. If the scholars can't agree, how are we to know?

And, as I have said repeatedly, everyone sins. I am not in a relationship right now, and I don't know where I stand in terms of my own faith vs. my sexuality.

If we were in a country where Christianity were illegal the chances are that people would be convicted for tiny things like reading the Bible - but those things don't make you a Christian.
  • Options
    In my honest opinion, the Bible's been translated so many times, it's lost a lot of meaning, and has found some contradictions. I reckon the original version (Greek, Arabic, the Dead Sea Scrolls - wichever came first) was pretty accurate, but languages just don't gell together like they used to. They haven't since the Tower of Babel.

I believe parts of the Bible as truth. The Four Gosples speak of a carpenter's son being nailed to a cross. He died (as you'd expect). He then came back and even spoke to a few people. I believe that happened. I believe He did that to show us His love and forgiveness, thus I am a Christian. That's what I believe, that's what I am.

I don't think that the translations of the Bible have left answers to many questions unsolvable. If they were solvable, they would have been solved by now.

Why do Christians always have to bitch like this?
    Why the disagreements?
    Did Jesus not come to show us the path of "love thy neighbour"?

Let's settle this once and for all, as best I can
    Originally written by St. Paul
    You then, who eat only vegetables - why do you pass judgement on others? And you who eat anything - why do you despise other believers? All of us will stand before God to be judged by Him.
    Romans 14:10-11, Good News Version
    As Christians, can't we just acept that some people believe one thing, and some believe others?
    Personally, I believe that there's nothing wrong with homosexuality. That is my belief because Jesus died for everyone. If that has to be limited, it can only be limited to those who believe in Him. Not those who are straight, poor, caucassians who donate at least 35% of what they earn to the church, but everyone. We are all equal in the eyes of the Lord.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skateside
    Why do Christians always have to bitch like this?
    Why the disagreements?
    Did Jesus not come to show us the path of "love thy neighbour"?

you make some good points ...like most people have in this interesting thread. but considering this is religion and this at the moment is very very topical religion ...i don' think i have seen any bitching. it's bound to get a bit rough and tumble but this thread has remained inteligent open and good spirited.
    by the way ...did i say i was a christian? no.
  • Options
    you make some good points ...like most people have in this interesting thread. but considering this is religion and this at the moment is very very topical religion ...i don' think i have seen any bitching. it's bound to get a bit rough and tumble but this thread has remained inteligent open and good spirited.
    by the way ...did i say i was a christian? no.
    If it gets bitchy I will delete :D or bitch them stupid til they shut it :D im sure no one will though :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    If it gets bitchy I will delete :D or bitch them stupid til they shut it :D im sure no one will though :D
    Harsh words!

I agree with Skateside, Jesus died for us all.

Loving everyone, I'm in that sort of mood! :heart:

Picc.
    xxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by VinylVicky
    OK, it just sounded like it was heading that direction to me
  • Options
    Harsh words!

I agree with Skateside, Jesus died for us all.

Loving everyone,

well that cannot be right!
    if he loved everyone ...all the sinners together ...why did he smash the temple up and call the religous leaders of his day, hypocrites, sons of satan etc?
    and if he loves everyone and all sinners are going to be forgiven surely that means we can all carry on being sinners, making no change to our lives other than believing jesus is a great guy who will forgive whatever we do so long as we love him ...doesn't that make a mockery of god judging people?
    you make it all sound so simple. but jesus said true christians would be hated by the people of the world. it wouldn't be easy.
    it sounds to me like you are diluting it all to fit your own needs.
    where is the effort, the demands on your worldly life?