Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

soham murder trail begins ...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Although, for those truly investiagtive souls, I would caution you to dig beyond whatever the press choose to report into the trial process itself.

Finding out what evidence was ruled "inadmissable" and which witnesses might have been ignored by the police, the prosecution and the defence would give the comprehensive picture you seek and help you to come to your own conclusions as to whther the accused is indeed guilty of the crimes.

High profile cases are often not as cut and dried as they appear, especially if there is a political payoff being expected on the back of that profiling.
  • Options
    LIFE
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    LIFE

But he wont serve that even if convicted.
  • Options
    My father bows to no-one when it comes to suspecting the authorities of framing people (those two policemen grabbed his attention in particular), but I'm less sceptical. What I would be curious to know is, what relationship, if any, did the two girls have with Huntley and Carr (who I don't think is charged with murder) and how were they 'suffocated'? Might they have been locked in a cupboard or something, gagged or otherwise? Was the weather particularly warm at the time of those events?

There's a lot we have yet to know, I believe, as with the Charles affair.
  • Options
    One thing that has come out of this is that Maxine Carr was not actually in Soham when the two girls went missing and it was Ian (? - may have got his name wrong?) who told the police she was upstairs...Stupidly she went along with it.

Reading the evidence already presented I do wonder if there is a plot by the Prosecution to Make Maxine Carr look as guilty as possible, hence the stuff about her cleaning the kitchen, and scrubbing the tiles really hard (As witnessed by someone)..I mean...how many of us have cleaned a kitchen and been witnessed doing so.

From what I have read it does seem that Ian Huntley will have a difficult time proving his plea of innocence, he has even said that he won't deny that they were in the house. The tough bit I think will be determining Maxine Carrs role in the whole thing and also if she did cover up was it because she was too scared to do anything else?

Ian Huntley did some pretty stupid things like change his car tyres even though they were still fairly new, and ask police officers about how long DNA can be read. But I do think that the police will need more evidence than the fact that a school caretakers thumb print was on a bin-liner within the school, or that someone saw the two accused looking in the boot of their car!!

It all seems really strange to me, And I think the police will need to present some proper forensic evidence.

As far as the Jury goes.....I have read and seen loads of stuff about the case but I feel sure that if Ihad been put on that jury I would have been able to judge the case on the evidence put before me....not everyone out there is a slave to media titilation...lets just hope (For the sake of Justice) that some of these people have made it onto the Jury!!
  • Options
    It's not just what the jury might have read in the press to date, but what they might read while the trial is on.

Remember a certain pair of footballers that 2 years ago went on trial for a serious attack on a man? Shortly before the trial ended the Mirror in all its wisdom published an interview with the father of the victim in which he lashed out at the accused. The trial had to be abandoned because the interview could influence the jury.

The papers should by now know the rules very well, but they're not exactly noted for their tact or thoughtfulness.
  • Options
    I does seem to me that the media (papers) have quietened down on this one lately...they have obviously been spoken to!
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    I does seem to me that the media (papers) have quietened down on this one lately...they have obviously been spoken to!
    Or maybe it's because of the weekend
  • Options
    The TV stations were at full swing this morning. ITV News, Sky and News 24 all reporting live from Soham :rolleyes: :rolleyes: as the jury was due to arrive there for a visual inspection.

"It is very quiet and empty round here at the moment, as if it was a Sunday" said the Sky reporter.

Well no surprise there... if I lived in Soham I'd be avoiding the fucking media circus and all those leeches with microphones patrolling the streets myself.
  • Options
    I heard on BBC that museums and such are offering free places to people from there while the jury walk round so they can be out of town.
  • Options
    So what are we all thinking now ?

I think he is going down and I hope its for a very long time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    So what are we all thinking now ?

I think he is going down and I hope its for a very long time.
    he just doesn't come across as hateable. never before have i felt anything for child murderers but ...i actualy feel something for this guy ...very disturbing!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    he just doesn't come across as hateable. never before have i felt anything for child murderers but ...i actualy feel something for this guy ...very disturbing!

Do you want to elaborate ?
  • Options
    Do you want to elaborate ?
    i can't becky.
    i just cannot seem to hate the man.
    the natural adrenalin and anger i would normaly feel toward such a man isn't there. maybe my heart and mind are to tied up with the worries and hate i feel regarding my son in law?
    i don't even know wether or not i feel sorry for him ...why?
  • Options
    Mr Roll that suprises me, I dont feel any sympathyto him at all.

I do not think he has told the truth in regards to what actually happened, I think its one lie after another. I cannot for one minuite beleive that Holly fell into the bath and thats what led to her death, I beleive theres more to that story. Maybe she did fall I dont know but one things for sure I dont beleive the story he has given, there must be more that he just aint telling.
    I also do not beleive he held his hand over Jessicas mouth to stop her shouting. Theres a lot more to that story than he is letting on.
    How can someone who has just witnessed two children dying in their property speak to the parent and then act all innocent and ask the Father if he was ok and offer sympathy ?
    No I have no sympathy for him, I hope he gets what he deserves and I hope he is given some rough treatment in prison. I hope he meets his match in there, let him see what its like to be frightened and scared like Holly and Jessica must have been. Let him be frightened and not know whats going to happen next.

Now Maxine Carr, I think she allowed herself to be used by Huntley. If she had come clean straight away she would never have had the hate campaign that she has. I beleive she beleived what he said and basically just tried to help him as she did fear that he would be wrongly arrested. She wasnt there, she had nothing to do with the crime so I think people should just leave her alone. Yes she didnt own up straight away, she told a couple of lies but at this time she did not know the facts, she probably did what many partners would do which was try to help her partner by not telling the full facts because at that time when she said she was home she didnt know what had happened.
  • Options
    please dont flame me, i got so flamed last time i posted on politics :nervous:

but these child killing cases really strike a chord with me, the whole thing with sarah payne really upset me and i felt pure anger towards roy whiting

but with this case i just cant seem to make my mind up, hes admitted to killing jessica now, but he said holly hit her head and fell into the bath? to me that dosent sound to unlikely, if the blow to her head off the walls was hard enough, surely she would have passed out and when she fell under the water drowned, but why didnt ian huntley pick her up out of the water straight away? jessica was apparantly screaming and he must have panicked, you know what happens to people who are even slightly involved in child murders (eg social workers) anyway he could have panicked and suffocated jessica and then driven by panic and guilt disposed of there bodies, but why didnt he go to the police soon after? the could have examined the bodies and seen if they had been sexually abused, if we knew whether they had been abused or not it could have been pretty clear that it was an accident, they could have seen if holly had a blow mark on her head, giving a bit more truth to his story

to be honest i dont think anyone will ever know what happened to the little girls, with the media saying one thing so strongly, that huntley killed them, and branding maxine carr as 'myra hindley mark 2' the jury are never going to be able to come to an unbiased verdict

sorry if what ive written dissagrees with any of what you've posted, but like i said i still cant decide for myself if i think he killed them or not (well deliberatly, he admits killing jessica by accident)
  • Options
    The thing is, people panic when bad things happen. If the girl was screaming blue murder, then it IS distracting, and he may well have held onto her too tightly or in the wrong place for her to be able to breathe. And if he was doing that he wouldnt have been able to get to the other girl.

Though what pisses me off about the whole thing is that Maxine Carr is only accused of perverting the course of justice- its a serious offence, but she was in fucking GRIMSBY when he killed the two girls.

personally I think he should be found guilty of manslaughter becaus his version of events is so ridiculous it could well be true. Though if there is anything other than a guilty verdict and a life imprisonment, despite his previous clean record, the papers will be in hate-filled heaven.
  • Options
    ian huntleys had so much taken off him already and hes not even been found guilty, hes never going to be able to walk the streets when he finally gets out of prison without a mob following him, hes being treated like the new ian brady, like a cold hearted ruthless killer, but its two totaly different thing, ian brady was a psycopath, im not imlying ian huntley is innocent, just that hes not been proven guilty as having done anything, but everyone thinks hes a pedophile, when they have no proof

these mobs of angry mothers is one of the things i cant stand about britain, also the 'guilty until proven innocent' mentality
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    these mobs of angry mothers is one of the things i cant stand about britain, also the 'guilty until proven innocent' mentality

And for that the buck stops at the media. The Soham case only got such wide news because they were two little Home Counties girls and it was August, a notorious slow-news month, and Huntley, regardless of the verdict, whcih I have a feeling will be guilty of manslaughter at the very least, will need a new identity if and when he leaves prison.

Its exactly this mentality that means a Sarah's Law for paedophiles is such a dangerous idea. Though seriously, how many people give a shit about the Soham murder trial? If one drowned and one was smothered its not exactly a painful way to die, Id bet burning to death in a car crash is worse, but who cares about those cxhildren?
  • Options
    I think the Jury are going to have to work really hard to come to an agreement over this crime.

The worst thing is that If Ian Huntley is lying then the parents of Jessica and Holly may never know what really happened. If the court finds him Guilty, and as such they decide he is lying when he says its an accident, then the parents will be left feeling the right man was convicted but that they will never really know the truth of what happened. Often a trial like this is a chance to let the victims family know what really happened. In this case i don't see that happening.

I agree with Mr Roll in that I do feel some sympathy toward Ian Huntley, he is obviously a severely damaged man and he did have real fears about his rape case (Remember he was aquitted on video evidence but mud still sticks)

However, I think that the evidence suggests that Ian Huntley's behaviour was inappropriate and that there is stuff he is not telling the court. Why would a man in his position take two young girls upstairs in his house, why would he take them or one of them into his bedroom?

As for Maxine Carr...she lied but I can sympathise with her reason for doing so. As far as she was concerned Ian Huntley told her the two victims left the house and that he was scared his previous criminal investigation would put him in the frame. He was the one who lied to make maxine Carr see him as a vunerable target, at that point she had no reason to believe he had done anything wrong. She is obviously a woman with low self esteem who posesses quite a few weird personality traits (eg obsessive compulsive disorder) and she thought that he was innocent but likely to be hounded if she didn't lie.

The very fact that she was so stupid to lie when people surely would have come forward and sain 'hang on - she was with me that day' points to the fact that she wasn't really thinking straight but instead just wanted to spare Ian Huntley what she thought would be an unjustified grilling from the police.

Basically its all really fucked up ....I think Ian huntley should be handed a severe sentence but Maxine Carr deserves our sympathy and should be given the chance to live a normal life
  • Options

also the 'guilty until proven innocent' mentality

Well in this case people have the right to judge before a verdict. He has admitted killing Jessica, so what do you expect people to do ?
  • Options
    but even before the trial started, and he admitted killing jessica he was still singled out, evn his parents had abuse hurled at them in the street
  • Options
    Well in this case people have the right to judge before a verdict. He has admitted killing Jessica, so what do you expect people to do ?

I agree with BeckyBoo, although the media coverage of this case has been out of control and noone should be presumed guilty, has everyone been reading the court evidence?
    Huntley's story sounds extremely far fetched and he has changed his story and lied to the police. I will be very surprised if he does not get convicted of murder.
  • Options
    evn his parents had abuse hurled at them in the street

and this I strongly disagree with. But at the end of the day regardless of what crime someone commits its the family who get all the verbal and physical abuse thrown at them, because the offender is inside.
  • Options

No Becky, unless you have been in Court One of the Old Bailey since Day One you have NO RIGHT TO JUDGE. You are not party to the facts, you are not party to the testimony, you are party to diddly squat.

And no-one has a right to make a decision based on diddly squat.
  • Options
    But at the end of the day regardless of what crime someone commits its the family who get all the verbal and physical abuse thrown at them, because the offender is inside.

You almost sound like you are excusing it there Becky. And there is no excuse for abusing a perosn because of the actions of another.

Its like the people who spat at a 14-year-old girl because ehr father was a pedo. What the bright sparks didnt realise was that shed been abused too. Woa, that was clever :rolleyes:
  • Options
    i remember at the time of sarah payne, a big mob of single mothers, from this big council estate down here went round and graffitied all over this womans walls, smashed her windows, slashed the tryes of her car etc etc all because she was a peadiatrician!!

at the end they found out they found who she was from the yellow pages, spastics.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    No Becky, unless you have been in Court One of the Old Bailey since Day One you have NO RIGHT TO JUDGE. You are not party to the facts, you are not party to the testimony, you are party to diddly squat.

And no-one has a right to make a decision based on diddly squat.

So the papers and TV have got it wrong ? he has not owned up to killing Jessica?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    You almost sound like you are excusing it there Becky. And there is no excuse for abusing a perosn because of the actions of another.

No thats what im saying I strongly disagree with it :confused:
  • Options
    personally I think he should be found guilty of manslaughter becaus his version of events is so ridiculous it could well be true

Oh my god please tell me you are joking. You actually believe this guy shoudl be free in 2-3 years, you either havnt been following the case, get some seedy kick outta this, or are just plain stupid. Im so glad and relieved you are not on the jury.

If one drowned and one was smothered its not exactly a painful way to die, Id bet burning to death in a car crash is worse, but who cares about those cxhildren?

Oh my god man, Oh my fucking god.

Ive have folowed this trail very closely and there is no other verdict than guilty of murder on 2 counts can be given.

LISTEN TO YOURSELVES FSS! please :(

A girl gets a nosebleed in a house and they go with an adult to clean it up, 10 mins later one fel into the bath (very unlikely according to the analyser in court who said it would have been virtually impossible to fall backwards into the bath in a bathroom huntely size as the girl would have had to have fell sidewides almost)

then........

the other girl screams, Huntley puts his hand over her mouth and..........shes dead as well! I mean he only put his hand over her mouth to stop her screaming and she instantly suffocated.

Come on people, wake up, things like this just dont happen, you dont go to clean up a nose bleed ona girl and 10 mins later they both end up dead by drowning and the other by suffocation. please read the case and wake up if you do.

I was speaking to a lawyer yesterday who is a friend of mine and I asked him how would huntelys lawyer managed to have kept a straight face, he said even he didnt know but he also knows thatHuntley had a real job managing to find someone to defend him.

I will leave you with a few words from the case when the forensics expert who analyised the bodies was questioned by a lawyer.

How possible is it that Mr Huntleys events were possible?

"Very Unlikely",

Very Unlikely???

"Well, Impossible."

P.S. Sham on those usuing this as a way off having a go at the right wing press, when this lying scumbag is founf guilty he will get all the bloodlust and hate he deserves