Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Taking the f*cking piss!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And my point is that you suggested aid and support for the Palestinian people be dependant on stopping suicide bombings and I do not believe that the Palestinian people can prevent these bombings.......
  • Options
    You have to look at who is causing the most suffering; and in this case there is a clear winner- by a million miles.

The Israelis suffer regular bombings and shootings (perhaps at the rate of 1.5 per month?) that kills 2-300 of their citizens per year. I wouldn't dream to suggest that this is of little relevance, but the fact is other than this the Israelis enjoy every commodity and right that we think human rights deserve:
    • They have their own Sovereign Country
    • They have freedom of movement both within their country and to go abroad
    • They have a right to basic utilities
    • They have a right to own a home and not have it demolished with total impunity
    • They don't live under constant military occupation by a foreign power
    • They don't suffer daily humiliations in the form of constant checks, roadblocks and harassment by an occupying foreign army
    • They don't run the risk of being arrested 'preventively' and thrown into a jail without charge for months on end
    • They don’t have a fungus-like infection of “foreign” territories spread across their nation

None of which is currently enjoyed by the Palestinians.

Make no mistake, the suffering of the Palestinians is a million times worse then the Israelis have ever experienced since the formation of Israel. I think it should be very clear who should make the first move towards peace.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    And my point is that you suggested aid and support for the Palestinian people be dependant on stopping suicide bombings and I do not believe that the Palestinian people can prevent these bombings.......

Well then I believe you have far too little faith in the Palestinian people.

If they knew that Israel was being held to its concessions and if they knew that failure to stop the bombers would lead to aid being stopped then I believe they would stop the bombers..

Neither of us can say for sure so its a bit of a pointless argument...but im gonna stick to believing that the entire population of palestine would be able to stop a few hundred or even few thousand terrorists...They would find it impossible to operate amongst a hostile populace..This has been proven throughout history, guerilla forces need the co-operation of their host population or they fail.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Make no mistake, the suffering of the Palestinians is a million times worse then the Israelis have ever experienced since the formation of Israel. I think it should be very clear who should make the first move towards peace.

Well based on those facts, i would say the palestinians..They are the ones suffering so terribly while the Israelis are sunning it up in their resorts...What reason do the Israelis have to make the first move? The palestinians are the ones dying by the truckload.

PS, i read something interesting about the death numbers today, ill dig it out when i get back from class.
  • Options
    Er... because the Israeli government is breaking just about every single law, regulation and guideline the human race has about the sanctity of life and human rights? Because it's a monstrosity?

Should have we all surrendered to big bad Hitler when he was blitzing Britain or told the Jewish race to all leave the known world for a desert island or alternatively form an orderly queue outside the nearest death camp?

Palestinian terrorists are not bombing restaurants for a laugh. The bombings are a direct response to this historical atrocity, and their only means of defence. I'm sure if they were allowed to have an army they'd like to fight the IDF 'fair and square'. But that's not the case. What else would you expect them to do, when the situation has gone on for 4 decades and the world can't be arsed to do anything about it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Yes, but thankfully its merely a statement of possible fact by a professor rather than a statement of fact by a general of the israeli army. The professor is entitled to his opinion but lets not take it as official Israeli policy.
    it may well not be official but i'll bet it was officialy sanctioned as being a good time to remind the rest of the world ...
  • Options
    Having just come across this on Jane's security pages, it appears Sharon is about to further trash the roadmap to the point of no return...

http://www.janes.com/security/international_security/news/fr/fr030917_1_n.shtml

Get ready for the fireworks en masse folks! :eek:
  • Options
    Er... because the Israeli government is breaking just about every single law, regulation and guideline the human race has about the sanctity of life and human rights? Because it's a monstrosity?

and thats a good enough reason for the israelis to change is it? Thats reason enough for us to believe the israelis should change their ways..No offence but thats slightly naive..Why do we imprison criminals? Surely they should change their ways because they are naughty...People who do things wrong either dont care or dont acknowledge they are doing wrong and thus have no reason to change.

Im sorry, who suggested the palestinians surrender? I certainly didnt...They shouldnt surrender, they should keep on 'fighting' until they get their state and israel gets out of the settlements. However, there are other options than suicide bombs..Its obvious what a marvellous effect that particular tactic is having.

The world cant be arsed to do anything because people cannot bring themselves to side with suicide bombers..It really is that simple...If the Palestinians swapped their bombs with cameras, then they would have their state in the very near future.

Palestine needs America on her side and the only way for that to happen is for all suicide bombs on civilian targets to stop...Obviously theres a hell of a lot of ignorance out there but you cant always fight it, sometimes youve got to use it to your advantage. Mention Palestinian to most people in the US and the first thing that comes to mind is suicide bombers..Thats wrong but its what so many think and thats why nothing is being done.

Keep bombing = war of attrition, life in hell continues for palestinians.
    Stop bombing = Israelis have to stop their tactics or be shown to be butchers to the world...Plain for all to see.
  • Options
    Balddog, one need only look then at the last ceasefire, to which the militant groups agreed only to have Sharon and co use the lull to do what? Wow, surprise surprise, lets go assassinate and rocket bomb some more targets.

And soon to come we have this bright idea (link above) from the Sharon camp.

Looks like they've taken their cues right out of the Warsaw Ghetto Clearance Handbook this time!
  • Options
    and as i keep saying, im not expecting israel to go through with this for fun...Threats and sanctions have to come from the US and UN..

PS, if this situation continues, i fear your nazi references might actually become true rather than being emotive rubbish.
  • Options
    There have been periods in the last 15 years when terrorist attacks have been non existent... and they have done bugger all for the Palestinians during the times.

It is shocking and horrible that it's the way it is, but the fact is that there is most progress and peace talks in the weeks following a particularly bloody period, when the international community feel compelled to apply some pressure.

Whenever things have been calm the progress has been nil, because the Israeli government is quite happy with the status quo and why give away all the land they've nicked out of goodwill?

I really wish that if Palestinians laid down their weapons and the Israelis carried out their usual 'routine' the world would be prompted to spring into action (funnily enough this is more or less what Michael Moore suggests in Stupid White Men, which I'm in the middle of reading). And if it was any other country in the world, I'm certain that it would have been stopped decades ago.

But we all know that Israel is the ultimate protégée of the US, and as such, untouchable. Of the resolutions that the US allows to be passed at the UN (it has vetoed countless ones) not a single one has been implemented. Israel has a formidable, fully equipped army courtesy of Uncle Sam, and even if some countries dared to defy the wrath of the US and put a task force together (and without UN authorisation, which other than Britain and America people tend to adhere to, that would be almost impossible) they would have to launch a full war to counter the strength of the IDF. And that nobody wants.

And of course, if you expect the US to ever raise a finger against Israel, you might as well expect O. Bin Laden to be the next New York Mayor.

In short, if the Palestinians laid down their weapons, equipped themselves with cameras and documented their own plight to the world, Israel would be allow to massacre every last man woman and child (if it chose to do so of course) without the international community willing or daring to do a damn thing about it.
  • Options
    You call for sanctions against Israel when you're exactly the sort of idiot who moans about the sanctions we imposed on Iraq. Which is it to be?
  • Options
    There have been periods in the last 15 years when terrorist attacks have been non existent... and they have done bugger all for the Palestinians during the times..

The issue and situation over there has never been at this level before..Never has there been so much discussion, never so much media attention...At least not in my lifetime. Israel/Palestine is the issue in the world today.
    In short, if the Palestinians laid down their weapons, equipped themselves with cameras and documented their own plight to the world, Israel would be allow to massacre every last man woman and child (if it chose to do so of course) without the international community willing or daring to do a damn thing about it.

Im confused..Are you saying that the suicide bombings are what keeps Israel from doing these things? Ive always thought of myself as terribly cynical about human nature but DAMN, you are a whole different type of pessimist :) ...America doesnt stand against Israel now because the people still support Israel over the Palestinians..If the palestinians stop bombing and dont do anything but document anything the israelis should do, then the american public will side with them over the israelis...Should the israelis do anything bad of course.
  • Options
    No Balddog, the US doesnt stand against Israel because the AIPAC is one of the most powerful lobbies in Amercia and fully represents the hardline expansionistic agenda that ultimately wants no peace.

More moderate Jewish lobbies in the States have nowhere near the constituency nor muscle to force the necessary policy changes needed to address the status quo and overturn it.

BP> Sanctions against Iraq, their intent, and their results cannot be compared to that which has been suggested toward Israel.

In the case of Iraq, Saddam had viable and indigenous opposition ready to rise up and overthrow his regime given the proper international support. Instead, our leaders countered any proposals to end sanctions in order to focus solely upon shutting down Saddam (freezing of all assets, support for revolution, etc.) because the principle challengers to his regime were the Shia's with their desire for a religious state (and that is anathema to the our transparent corporate interests in the region).

The only people that the Iraqi sanctions hurt were the very people who might have overthrown him.

In the case of Israel, we have every bit a government intent on attacking its neighbours, which indeed DOES have stockpiles of illegal WMDs, and which is in breach of far more numerous UN resolution than was Saddam's regime.

So the question can equally be turned right back on you...

Iraqi invasion justified on the basis of oft repeated arguments over breach of UN resolutions, what then of the Israeli government?

Can't have it both ways! ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    No Balddog, the US doesnt stand against Israel because the AIPAC is one of the most powerful lobbies in Amercia and fully represents the hardline expansionistic agenda that ultimately wants no peace.

Do they support Israel because..

a) the jewish lobby is so strong
    b) the rest of the country doesnt support the palestinians and therefore isnt willing to speak out against israel.

The jewish lobby is irrelevent if the majority of US voters turn against Israel.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BournemouthPete
    You call for sanctions against Israel when you're exactly the sort of idiot who moans about the sanctions we imposed on Iraq. Which is it to be?

The difference is, idiot, that the sanctions on an already very poor and war-savaged Iraq cost the lives of 500,000 people.

Sanctions against Israel would not have such effect, but even if they were to be it would not come to that because Sharon is no Saddam.

Clear now?
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Im confused..Are you saying that the suicide bombings are what keeps Israel from doing these things? Ive always thought of myself as terribly cynical about human nature but DAMN, you are a whole different type of pessimist ...America doesnt stand against Israel now because the people still support Israel over the Palestinians..If the palestinians stop bombing and dont do anything but document anything the israelis should do, then the american public will side with them over the israelis...Should the israelis do anything bad of course.
    No what I was trying to say is that passive resistance and hope for international intervention would be futile in this case.
    So as far as the Palestinians are concerned they're being screwed over in the same way whether they lay still or fight back... so naturally they choose to fight back.

I'm afraid I don't share your optimism. I find it extremely difficult for US public opinion in the Middle East to change. Not while most of the media is biased to such extent and controlled by a handful of individuals.

Suffice to say that even today, and despite denials from Bush himself as well as from everyone else in the world, 70% of Americans actually believe Saddam was behind 9/11 :rolleyes: . Perceptions are very hard to change.
  • Options
    Well we will have to agree to disagree..I dont believe for an instant that if Israel did what its doing now while Palestine carried out no attacks, that the west would sit by and do nothing.

Interesting you should mention saddam and 9/11..Your numbers are actually wrong...Just a few months ago, 75% of americans believed saddam was connected, now its down to 60%.

Thats quite a big change....Perceptions are very hard to change?
  • Options
    BD, I was speaking of the actual driving force behind the status quo policy in the US, not the mass of tacit approval or disapproval from the voting public.

Most of the voting public wouldnt and don't actively petition Washington for any change on anything, let alone the Middle East crisis. Those who push through agendas are precisely the powerful lobbies like AIPAC.

This is evidenced by little or no real action taken against Israeli policies regardless of which of the two major parties take the White House.

As for your optimism of what the West would do if Palestinians put up no resistance whatsoever, I think you are conveniently forgetting that the creation of the (secular) state of Israel in 1948 was precipitated by hardcore zionist militants who attacked and drove some 750,000 arab inhabitants of the land out of their homes and Britain eventually gave up and left them to do as wished, handing it to the UN and washing their hands of it.

http://www.al-bushra.org/temp/crus.html

Excerpt:
    There was no way that a Jewish state could be established there if Britain and America’s other promises and principles were to be upheld. The promises and the principles went out the window in the Crusading zeal to control the Middle East and the Holy Land. Britain’s Mandate over Palestine provided the necessary cover for the mass importation of Jews and their acquisition of land and arms. Knowing that the Jews meant to dispossess and control them, the Palestinians revolted at times, but were suppressed by British soldiers and Zionist irregulars. In the 1930s, there was a mass immigration of Jews and many attacks against non-Jews by Jewish terrorists. The British, having some conscience, decided in 1939 that they had done enough to establish the “Jewish national home” and started to curb Jewish immigration. Enraged, the Zionists proceeded to attack and kill British soldiers and officials so that the Brits turned the problem over to the United Nations. At the opening of the London Conference on January 27, 1947, a statement was read by Jamal El-Husseini, vice-chairman of the Arab Higher Committee:

"During the last 25 years, however, Palestine had been denied the right to self-government, in violation of those rights and pledges as well as the covenant of the League of Nations. An autocratic administration was set up with the primary aim of assisting the Jews in their invasion of Palestine. The Balfour Declaration on which this policy was based was a vague and one-sided encouragement made by Great Britain to alien Jews in the absence and complete ignorance of the Arab owners of the country.

Since 1918 the Jewish elements in Palestine had increased by enforced migration from 7 per cent to 33 per cent of the entire population...

During this period Jewish political claims had inflated from a modest spiritual home to the establishment of a Jewish state which they sought to enforce by the present campaign of terrorism. This had driven the Arabs to the point of exasperation, for they beheld that all the apprehensions they had expressed 25 years ago were being rapidly fulfilled.

Certain quarters had proposed that justice might be done if the country were partitioned between Arabs and Jews. The Arabs believed that such a proposal was an easy pretext for evading the difficulties of a problem that had been created by a gross injustice. The creation of an alien Jewish state in Palestine would mean a running sore that would undoubtedly become a permanent source of trouble in the Middle East, and would mean the destruction of Arab continuity and territorial sovereignty."

As quoted in The Palestine Diary by Robert John and Sami Hadawi (New World Press, NY, 1970)
    Under pressure from the US, the UN, in 1948, decided to partition Palestine and create the new Jewish state of Israel. Jews, who still owned only 7% of Palestine, were given 55%, but the Zionists wanted more land and less Palestinians. Having lived under Turkish and then Western occupation, the Arabs had no significant military forces. The Zionists, on the other hand, had been preparing for war for decades and were well equipped and trained. Outnumbering all Arab soldiers by three to one, they began a war of conquest. They proceeded to terrorize the Palestinian population, forcing 750,000 of them from their homes and enlarging their state beyond the UN Mandate. They ended up with 78% of Palestine. So we see that Britain and the United States carried out their pledge to the Jews, and completely failed to honor their pledge to protect the rights of "Christians and all other non-Jewish communities in Palestine.”

It's a monstrous injustice already. If Palestinians cease to defend themselves then you can bet that the West would merely look on as it did from the start.
  • Options
    Active petitioning doesnt matter...If the majority wants change in israel, they will get it...Any US administration will pander to the wants of its voting public..The israeli lobby isnt that powerful.

We also thought it was acceptable to firebomb cities back then as well...Please dont try and make out we would do the same things today.
    It's a monstrous injustice already. If Palestinians cease to defend themselves then you can bet that the West would merely look on as it did from the start.

I cannot disagree strongly enough :)

Besides, could it be any worse than the current situation? Youve already explained that theres no chance of any change happening in regard to whitehouse policy..Just what do you suggest? Other than Israel changing their ways out of the kindness of their heart.
  • Options
    You can choose to understimate the power and influence of AIPAC, but as the article above (long read) mentions, entire books have been written about the ability of AIPAC to destroy the political careers of any who opposed their view of manfiest destiny in the Middle East.

Indeed I have conceded to a cynical view of future prospects and am unlikely to change to that view so long as my government refuses to act as a truly impartial broker of the process.
  • Options
    I have to admit I didnt read that article...Firstly because my eyes have trouble with such huge, barely punctuated blocks of text. Secondly because of its title.

The Ninth Crusade

Why Arabs hate Israel and America, why Americans support ethnic cleansing in Palestine, and how to end the American-Israeli conflict with the Arab world
    A message for all who care for the truth..

Im sure it has good points but i cant physically read them :/

You are talking about the power of the AIPAC in the past or the present..In times when people dont support palestine over israel..The entire point im making is that peoples views will change and they will support palestine over israel.
  • Options
    Yes the text is annoyingly small and unformatted. The points raised though do have considerable historical and contextual relevance. Like any editorial though, it has it emotive elements.

As for public opinion, well that's an issue which has been covered in many topical threads on many issues and much of it comes right back to the programmed perception of affairs spun by the corporate media (which certainly in the US counts for the continued foremost influence for the majority. Until or unless media moguls who are either directly or indirectly associated to the powerful zionist lobby are divested of their overarching control over broadcast and print media, there is unlikely to be any sufficently broad forum for changing public perception.

As things stand, even criticising Israeli government policy is immediately branded as anti-Semite. No intelligent debate can exist in such an environment.
  • Options
    and once again, you are thinking in the current situation..Once there are no more suicide bombings for the media to show, once all they have is the Israeli actions, things will change. Yes a hell of a lot of the media is terribly biased but they cant make up bombings and they cant keep the israeli actions silent, should there be any..

Ill ask you again, what to you suggest should be done? Its obvious to anyone that the suicide bombings are accomplishing nothing more than killing palestinians, directly and indirectly..
  • Options
    Actually their are Israeli attacks on Palestinians on practically a daily basis and the media does indeed keep it largely silent. Its all a matter of news management whereby we're granted random snippets concerning IDF attrocities (always carefully worded as "clashes") compared to immediate and vitriolic reportage of every Palestinian response (spelled out in terms such as "carefully planned Palestinian attack" or "extremist violence").

It all goes to painting a slanted mental image in the minds of the viewing public that Israeli attrocities are not planned or provoked but rather accidental whereas Palestinian retaliation is concerted and intentional. Fact is, the violence of both sides is intentional.

Once again, under these circumstances why should the Palestinians believe that a cessation of violence will galvanise the West into stoppong Israeli violence against them.

Or perhaps you'd like to go live in Gaza and watch as your family is slaughtered to satisfy Sharon's grasp for more land and control and set the example?

35 years of relentless suffering has taught them that acting like lambs will lead them to the slaughter all the quicker with not so much as a peep from the West until its too late to matter.

What would I do? If I had the power to do so, just what i suggested earlier, no fly zones, full naval embargo, cessation of all arms and financial aid to Israel unless they immediately ceased the occupation and the settlements and returned to the negotiating table.
  • Options
    Your one sidedness and bias disgusts me.

You refuse to see my point, continuing to apply the situation today without taking into account what im suggesting...

and again its suggested i go to live out there...wtf :crazyeyes

I want peace out there, I can see the argument from both sides and I see that both sides need to be seen to be doing something...

anyway, enough. :)
  • Options
    My one sidedness comes from a personal sense of obligation to present a couterbalance to the far more widespread one sidedness of the media, which has (as you yourself put it) the vast majority believing that its all the Palestinian's fault. Some revision of history here, some media silence there and the picture has become woefully onesided.

Responding to the "wtf :crazyeyes" I merely intended to suggest that in order to gain a more comprehensive picture of the situation you, me or anyone would have to go live as they do, under the conditions imposed upon them by the continued occupation. I doubt any of us would at that point believe that passive resistance would achieve anything but our own deaths out of sight of Western eyes.

I realise you wish to speak about future hope, but Im sorry, there is no hope unless we focus on the current situation and expose the truth of what the media is failing to present.

peace ;)
  • Options
    I doubt any of us would at that point believe that passive resistance would achieve anything but our own deaths out of sight of Western eyes.

Funny, because it was a palestinian friend who got me hooked on the idea. Swapping bombs for video cameras, he certainly believes it will achieve more than his death.
  • Options
    And where is your Palestinian friend? In the UK or in Gaza?
  • Options
    And where is your Palestinian friend? In the UK or in Gaza?

He is now in the UK, having been here for a little over 4 months.
  • Options
    Well i'd welcome his attempts if he thinks he could solve the crisis in such a way. But if Sharon invades as the article from Jane's I posted above suggests, you can kiss any receptivity to passive resistance goodbye forever.