Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

American Blackouts - Terroism?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by The Matadore

If that happens this country will be doomed.
    how many times have we heard that aye?
    the closest this country comes to it's knees is when the CONS ...
    spend all the money on themselves. leaving schools with leaking roofs and no books. negative equity at record levels, leading to maximum homelesness. unemployment. health service and other public services in tatters. 18yrs of ruin for new labour to have to try and fix.
    conservative = self self self. "there is no such thing as society", said the bag woman.
  • Options
    If anyone can bugger up a large portion of a continents power supply its America.
    'Hmm, ah wunder what this button be doin?'
    *lights go out*
    'Aw shucks'
  • Options
    Ooh is it the end of the world!?

Or did some silly american forget to turn the switch on again?
  • Options
    Nah - if it was a terrorist attack, they'd be making the most of the power being down.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Doofay
    I doubt terrorists have the experience, knowledge or capability to be doing something this large a scale though.

Would you have said that on the day before the WTC attacks? I think most of us wouldn't have thought that they could have hijacked so many planes and flown them (themselves) into buildings. But history proves us wrong.

I can see why so many people think that this could have been a terror attack. Certainly the US is paranoid now and with the (so called) sophistication of western society these days, you'd have thought that this sort of things couldn't happen anymore.

Having said that one only has to look at California and some other US States to see the mess that their power suppliers are in. Who says privatised service are better?
  • Options
    local news this morning blamed a fire at an electricity plant.

they're covering for something. but what?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    Someone decided to use the electric pump to inflate Bush's ego :p

Or to try and use the electricity to stimulate the one brain cell into active thought....

hence why they had to use ALL the electricity in America! :lol:
  • Options
    BREAKING NEWS:

An unnamed offical has stated that: "There are flashing lights over the city which seem to be appearing every few minutes". For some reason the commanders at the Nellis air force base near Roswell have put their F-22 and LongBow attack helicopters pilots on "high security alert" and are ready to engage the unknown flashing lights immediately.
  • Options
    This morning Canadian officials said it was due to a fire in a nuclear power plant, the Bush people said it was the failure of a big fuse and not to worry, they told people to open their windows and relax!!
  • Options
    Oh, is this a really big story?

Or is it just the Americans thinking the world revolves around them again?
  • Options
    Forget all of that - I'm not getting my emails through today cos the servers my email provider use are in Canada!!!!

This is the message I got when I went to check my email

Friday, August 15, 2003, at 06:38:35 GMT
    We have setup an additional mail server in Texas to ensure that email is queued during this extended power outage. This email will be delivered to your account when the NYC data center is back online.

Friday, August 15, 2003, at 05:20:09 GMT
    The north-east US, and parts of Canada, are suffering from what has been described as the worst power outage in US history. Our data centre has been hit by this.

Although our data centre has diesel backup generators, all access to the centre is down. This may be due to upstream router power failures - we are still investigating the exact cause. We don't yet know when the data centre will be available. Quotes on CNN suggest that power should be back by morning.

In the meantime we are setting up a new mail server to take up the queue, which is going live now.

We understand the frustration and inconvenience this is causing you - we are very sorry for this outage and will ensure everything is running again as soon as possible after power is restored.

We will continue to update this page as details come to hand.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Forget all of that - I'm not getting my emails through today cos the servers my email provider use are in Canada!!!!

Don't worry - I'm sure getting your emails working is their first priority :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Don't worry - I'm sure getting your emails working is their first priority :p

Once the CIA has scanned them to check that you aren't plotting anything against the US that is ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    Oh, is this a really big story?

Or is it just the Americans thinking the world revolves around them again?

Sky News certainly does.

I was watching the news channels and they all stopped their normal bulletins when the news first broke out; fair enough- biggest blackout in history, uncertainty on the streets, rumours of terrorism, chaos, etc.

After a while both BBC and ITV stopped the continuous coverage and returned to their normal bulletin formats- still talking about the blackouts but also of other things. Not Sky News though. At 1:00 am they were still talking non-stop about it and plugging in with Fox News for continuous coverage, and for all I know they did that throughout the night.

Speaking of Fox News, the amount of bollocks I heard in the few minutes I dared to watch was incredible. The reporter speaking live from NY was creaming his pants as he told us how those New Yorkers with cars were offering strangers rides home while others joked in the streets. "This is what America is all about" he informed us. "A New Yorker can never be put down. Americans will always stick out for each other". He then approached a car that was carrying several people. One of the passengers said "this good man has offered to give us all a ride home". The reporter smiled and said "See? This is what I was talking about. You are a true American sir. What's your name?" The camera then zoomed in on the driver, who turned out to be of Asian origin and responded "My name is Ashmir and I'm from Bangladesh".

I was still giggling 30 minutes later as I tried to go to sleep.
  • Options
    :lol: Hehe.

*makes mental note not to bother watching the news today*

Dear me.
  • Options
    :lol: @ Aladdin

Not sure what was funnier, that they described that as "what America is about" or that the guy was Bangladeshi...
  • Options
    That just goes to show American racial and cultural diversity.
  • Options
    Wrong Mat, it goes to show the all too routine pompous and jingoistic ignorance of Fox News and its fellow Murdoch-owned trash news sources.
  • Options
    Aladdin did not tell us the reaction of the reporter , all he told us was that a Fox News correspondant talked to a Bangladeshi immagrant who was helping his fellow New Yorkers out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by The Matadore
    Aladdin did not tell us the reaction of the reporter , all he told us was that a Fox News correspondant talked to a Bangladeshi immagrant who was helping his fellow New Yorkers out.

Reporter:"Americans will always stick out for each other"
    Reporter: "See? This is what I was talking about. You are a true American sir. What's your name?"
    Man:"My name is Ashmir and I'm from Bangladesh".

The assumption of the reporter was that this man was an American, because Americans look after eachother.

The reality was that people look after each other and that being American has nothing to do with it. How often have we heard this referred to as "The Dunkirk Spirit", or "Spirit of the Blitz"...
  • Options
    For what I remember (while I was trying not to fall off my chair) the reporter said "well sir you might not be originally from America but you are an American now".

Hats off to the reporter. :D
  • Options
    And what if the Bangladeshi was only visiting and had no desire to be American? The basic premise that is so offensive in Fox style reporting is the presumption that whatever is good is by definition American and not shared values that preexisted my country by millennia.

It's nationalistic insinuation to the extreme.
  • Options
    Surely a lot of places with any critical systems will have generators...?
  • Options
    And what if the Bangladeshi was only visiting

He had a job as a taxi driver , you dont visit a country and get a permanent job like that.
  • Options
    LOL. The first thing you should learn Mat is that NY taxi drivers are mostly foreign nationals who merely have greencards. The man could well not have been an American citizen even if he was working there.

Regardless of his residence status though, you simply sidestepped the overriding and jingoistic principle that the Fox reporter was insinuating into his commentary, which is the irksome point that I was addressing.

But then anything that lauds mindless and myopic right wing nationalistic BS gets a thumbs up from you it seems.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine

But then anything that lauds mindless and myopic right wing nationalistic BS gets a thumbs up from you it seems.
    your wasting your time clan ...some people only see the holywood version of america.

from sea to shiny sea.
  • Options
    Given all the lies of this administration so far, frankly im surprised noone has realised how ostensibly the Bush camp has centralised control of the entire nation into the remit of the federal government machinery.

The plans for invading Afghanistan and Iraq were long on the table without proper excuse to galvanise public support and then we got 9/11 (and yet some here still swallow the cover story), now we have a case where Bush's long tabled demand for unrestricted exapnsion of energy exploration into our last wildlife refuges has simply sat on the back burner long nough that noone here has suggested the obvious...

This, like every other catastrophic act (or threat thereof) has been contrived with agency assistance to generate a public fright at the insufficiency of current energy output levels and thus Bush can step in (and in fact already has done) to boldly claim that this is the proof that his pro-industry environment raping energy policy must be rapidly implemented.

Its time these corrupt assholes were dragged out and thoroughly investigated for their links to every catastrophe that has occured under their remit. The truth of how far they will stoop to amass more power and under the table kickbacks would undoubtedly have the public screaming for the only blood that ever should have been shed since they took office...

Theirs!
  • Options
    ..... and some people only see the redneck side , or presume in their arrogance that is what all Americans are like , including Bush & Co.
  • Options
    Sadly Matt, you only undermine your own credibility by painting an extreme and minority characteristic of US society as the only alternative to your Murdoch press-fed view of the almighty goodness of the US government.

Corruption and lies are not redneck qualities, but rather elitest and power grasping qualities of political dynasties like the Bush family. You can lump the Kennedys in their for good measure, but the fact remains that the prevailing media mindset of Fox news is to paint anything righteous as American when in fact Washington is responsible for far more ill than good in the world.

And there are people of good will and character throughout the globe from every nationality, not just America as the reporter would have his viewers believe in their gullible ignorance.
  • Options
    Sorry to bump this thread up but I have come across this article regarding the power cuts and electricity deregulation.

Some interesteting claims in it, not least about the role Maggie Thatcher and the Republican Party have had in the current power crisis on the East Coast and in California.