Home› Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

đźź© Expert Q&A | Disordered eating during the holidays

2»

Comments

• Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 839 Part of The Mix Family
    edited December 2023
    We are glad you are here@River and please if you need anything just give us a shout we are always here for you <3 Im doing good its very cold tho!
    Do you have any questions for @BeatMegan No pressure tho ofc she will be back on thursday if u think of anything during the week!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,154 Part of The Furniture
    How do you manage being in partial recovery from an eating disorder whilst also being told you need to loose weight by physical health professionals?
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    Hiya @Millie2787 hope ur days been alright <3
    great question over to you @BeatMegan
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    BeatMeganBeatMegan Posts: 53 Expert
    How do you manage being in partial recovery from an eating disorder whilst also being told you need to loose weight by physical health professionals?

This can be such a difficult position to be in, especially if your still dealing with a lot of those eating disorder thoughts. It may be useful to ask your GP if you can speak with a dietician who has experience supporting people with eating disorders. They may be able to help you with loosing weight in a healthy way, often this is done gradually to stop the eating disorder from taking over. I know you've said you're just in partial recovery but you should be extremely proud of how far you've come! If you do start to notice any of those warning signs that things might be getting worse for you remember you can always reach out for support
    Senior Advisor at Beat Eating Disorders
  • Options
    Thats us going to wrap up for todays Q and A but thank you so much to @BeatMegan and all of you amazing community members for your great questions! I know i learnt a lot and found it really helpful and i hope you guys did as well

Just a reminder Megan will be here again on Thursday 14th december again at the same time 1-3pm so if you have any more questions that come up during the week then come along then :)

take care everyone <3
  • Options
    Thats us going to wrap up for todays Q and A but thank you so much to @BeatMegan and all of you amazing community members for your great questions! I know i learnt a lot and found it really helpful and i hope you guys did as well

Just a reminder Megan will be here again on Thursday 14th december again at the same time 1-3pm so if you have any more questions that come up during the week then come along then :)

take care everyone <3

Thanks for having me @ebyrne556 :) Looking forward to being back again on Thursday
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,319 Part of The Furniture
    Hey everyone! @BeatMegan and @ebyrne556 are back TODAY at 1pm.

Pop your questions here for them to answer, or ask anonymously using this link and we'll post it beforehand: https://forms.office.com/e/s6g4gCrVEY
    The truth resists simplicity.
  • Options
    Hey everyone Not long till xmas break now hang in there! <3
    As @JustV said me and @BeatMegan will be online in about 10 minutes answering some of your amazing questions
    :)
  • Options
    I had a question about relapse: what would you say to people mid-way through their recovery, struggling with intermittent relapse? I know it can feel like it resets progress and I wonder if it would be helpful to talk a bit about what realistic goals look like for ED recovery.
  • Options
    Also one new anonymous question:
    Already had ED trigger so how do you get that back on track before Christmas starts because like in some households when they do Christmas food shop it start to get eaten if that makes sense, sorry if it doesn't
  • Options
    Hi everyone, I know the holidays can be a really tough time for anyone struggling with an eating disorder or any other mental health issue so I just wanted to share some pages with tips on that you may find helpful. If Anyone has any eating disorder related questions for me, let me know! I'm here to help <3

https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/news/coping-with-eating-disorder-christmas/ -

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/tips-for-everyday-living/christmas-and-mental-health/christmas-coping-tips/

https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/if-youre-having-difficult-time/if-youre-finding-things-hard-this-christmas/
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing those links Megan Really helpful especailly for those who find this time of year diffcult
  • Options
    JustV wrote: »
    I had a question about relapse: what would you say to people mid-way through their recovery, struggling with intermittent relapse? I know it can feel like it resets progress and I wonder if it would be helpful to talk a bit about what realistic goals look like for ED recovery.

Great question! Relapse can feel really disheartening but it's important to acknowledge the progress you've made. Recovery isn't always a straightforward process and it's normal to have these blips. It can be helpful to take some time to think about what your warning signs for relapse might be so that you can reach out for support before it gets any worse. Try to remember your motivations for recovery and write these down.

In terms of setting goals, it can feel quite overwhelming to set yourself huge targets to reach so it might feel more manageable just to set a goal for the week ahead. For example, for someone with anorexia, a good goal could be to try a new fear food or to go out for food with a close friend. Recovery can feel difficult at times so try to be kind to yourself
  • Options
    100 percent being kind to yourself is imprtant and remebering recovery is not a linear process and isnt the same for everyone <3
  • Options
    JustV wrote: »
    Also one new anonymous question:
    Already had ED trigger so how do you get that back on track before Christmas starts because like in some households when they do Christmas food shop it start to get eaten if that makes sense, sorry if it doesn't

It’s almost impossible to get away from food at this time of year, and this along with encouragement by others to “indulge” can be stressful or upsetting. It may create additional pressure to eat, or cause
    increased worry about bingeing. It's so understandable why this might be triggering for you!

Planning for Christmas and potential triggers in advance can help. For example with Christmas dinner you could even have a practice meal before the day. You could talk about your concerns and how to address them with your loved ones. Agreeing on what will be served, at what time, portion sizes and who will be there means you know what to expect, and don’t have to make decisions on the spot.

Some food could be kept away from the table – a laden-down table may increase anxiety. It might also be easier if meals are served away from the table – you may feel less “watched” if
    you’re having different food or portions.

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    Rose113Rose113 Community Champion Posts: 1,122 Wise Owl
    I have a question if okay, so with my family we have sit down meal which adds to me struggling with eating thinking im being watched so how do you like deal with that
    ✨ Just a stupid worthless freak ready to give up ✨
  • Options
    Hi @River nice to have u on as always! <3 good question Passing it over to u @BeatMegan :)
  • Options
    River wrote: »
    I have a question if okay, so with my family we have sit down meal which adds to me struggling with eating thinking im being watched so how do you like deal with that

Really good question River. It can definitely add to any anxiety you might be feeling when you feel like your being watched at meal times. <3

If you have any family members who are aware that you struggle with eating, it might be helpful to try and talk to them beforehand and sit next to them during the meal. Sometimes eating disorders can make you feel like everyone is watching you but most the time people with be focusing on their own meal or the conversation.

It might be a good idea to think about any distractions you can put in place during the meal, whether that's listening to music, playing a game or just having something prepared that you can chat about to keep the focus off food. If you can also limit the time you have to spend at the table that might help with your anxieties too, so see if your family can move somewhere else once you've finished eating
  • Options
    Rose113Rose113 Community Champion Posts: 1,122 Wise Owl
    Thank you Megan :)
    ✨ Just a stupid worthless freak ready to give up ✨
  • Options
    alright guys going to end the q and a but thank u so much for all your amazing questions and thanks so much to @BeatMegan for all her support and really helpful and isnightful answers
    take care everyone and have a good rest of the day <3
  • Options
    alright guys going to end the q and a but thank u so much for all your amazing questions and thanks so much to @BeatMegan for all her support and really helpful and isnightful answers
    take care everyone and have a good rest of the day <3

Thanks @ebyrne556 <3 goodbye everyone!