Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Crochet

Comments

• Options
    kittenloverkittenlover Posts: 44 Boards Initiate
    edited March 2023
    Hi everyone! I've just started learning how to crochet. Does anyone have any tips? Currently I can only do a double crochet :)
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,023 Community Veteran
    Siobhan wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I’m making random acts of crochet kindness now. My first one

vkh11egvhlsa.jpeg

That is very sweet of you to do. I have seen a lot of people taking part in the random acts of kindness and it is something I want to have a go at in the near future. :)
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi everyone! I've just started learning how to crochet. Does anyone have any tips? Currently I can only do a double crochet :)

I’d say YouTube is a great place to start, there lots of video tutorial on there that can help you to learn new stitches 😊
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,522 Skive's The Limit
    Thank guys 💖

Made a second Winnie the Pooh 💖🥰 going to be matching with my niece 3k1mfhgntolu.jpeg
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    Siobhan wrote: »
    Thank guys 💖

Made a second Winnie the Pooh 💖🥰 going to be matching with my niece 3k1mfhgntolu.jpeg

Aww Winnie the Pooh has got a twin!. I really love them both <3
  • Options
    x0a5wrowjthz.jpg

A leaf bookmark I made a while ago
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,120 Part of The Furniture
    A side note - I am off to see Winnie the Pooh the Musical in August on annual leave!! I would totally buy one of your crochet Winnie the Pooh's if I could @Siobhan - I absolutely love it :p

Also, how cute is your leaf bookmark @Amy22 :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Thank guys!

I love your book mark!

I haven’t been able to cover anything atm cause of injury in my arm but when less painful I’ll be making 9 more of the hearts
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,120 Part of The Furniture
    We will look forward to seeing more of the hearts @Siobhan when you are ready to make them and share them with us :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 The Mix Regular
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
  • Options
    Siena wrote: »
    I stopped crochet but back at it

These are my random acts of kindness I’ve done the past week
    f83f3rgel53x.jpeg

And this is a jellycat inspired cloud

bfsm3fdgqy25.jpeg

I love your jellycat cloud so much, I bet its super squishy and cuddly too!. Also, I love the random acts of kindness challenge as it can be a great way of perking up strangers day. Its something I want to do one day <3 thanks so much fro sharing these pics they are great!.
  • Options
    faolan wrote: »
    @jess63 what the heck that is so cute :lol: how long did it take to make?

Surprisingly not as long as I thought, only about 3 weeks which is good for me I’m normally a lot slower 😂
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • Options
  • Options
    amy02amy02 Moderator Posts: 124 The Mix Convert
    @jess63 these make such good Christmas gifts! I started to learn crochet as my new years resolution to learn a new skill - though can't really make anything beyond a scarf :)
  • Options
    @jess63 the suitcase mouse is so adorable. I keep seeing these pop up on my fyp on Instagram. I've also seen the knitted frogs too and they look so adorable. I might have to make both!.

@amy02 Crochet is so fun to get into though it does take a few tries and goes in the beginning. I think it's great that you put it as a new years resolution too as it's a relaxing hobby too and a great past time <3
  • Options
    I actually looked back at the beginning of this thread and seeing the process of things being made is so so amazing and brilliant. You all are talented and so amazing!. Keep crafting <3
  • Options
    Amy22 wrote: »
    @jess63 the suitcase mouse is so adorable. I keep seeing these pop up on my fyp on Instagram. I've also seen the knitted frogs too and they look so adorable. I might have to make both!.

@amy02 Crochet is so fun to get into though it does take a few tries and goes in the beginning. I think it's great that you put it as a new years resolution too as it's a relaxing hobby too and a great past time <3

Exactly @Amy22 you end up falling down a rabbit whole of cute crochet and before I know it I have a whole list of things I want to make 😂
  • Options
    Chloe234Chloe234 Community Champion Posts: 2,178 Boards Champion
    Omg you guys are so good! I'm only just starting to try learn, I can do SC and DC and a magic ring but that's about it :p any tips??
  • Options
    Chloe234 wrote: »
    Omg you guys are so good! I'm only just starting to try learn, I can do SC and DC and a magic ring but that's about it :p any tips??

To use thick yarn so you can see the stitches easier
  • Options
    Chloe234 wrote: »

Also agree with @Siena using a thicker weight yarn can be super handy for beginners because the wool is thicker and easier to practice with compared to thinner yarns. I would also using white yarn first because it is easier to see than black yarn or varigated yarn.
  • Options
    GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 610 Incredible Poster
    edited March 17
    @Chloe234 it looks so cute! Well done!! I could never make something like that! It looks like it's wearing purple dungarees :p
  • Options
    @Chloe234 That is a fantastic start to an amazing project, I really really love it so much. Your teddy bear is going to be fantastic and amazing. At the moment I haven't been crocheting as much due to work and stuff but Im trying to think of ideas of things I could crochet right now.
  • Options
    Gemma wrote: »
    @Chloe234 it looks so cute! Well done!! I could never make something like that! It looks like it's wearing purple dungarees :p

Thankyou! And omg it does ahah if only
    @Chloe234 That is a fantastic start to an amazing project, I really really love it so much. Your teddy bear is going to be fantastic and amazing. At the moment I haven't been crocheting as much due to work and stuff but Im trying to think of ideas of things I could crochet right now.

Thankyou! It's ended up looking slightly more like a Teddy cat but it's still okay considering I've winged it. I just gotta add the other ear and maybe a tail now. I really wanna do a duck but I'm struggling with following patterns atm
  • Options
    isj6ju55t4hg.jpg
  • Options
    Omg I love them @Chloe234 so much!!!. Also the safety eyes are so cute and I actually think I got some bear noses too somewhere so I might maybe make some teddies. They looks like they are wearing a face mask and he could be like a ninja warrior. I wonder what you are going to name them? :)<3 Great job!!!
  • Options
    Omg I love them @Chloe234 so much!!!. Also the safety eyes are so cute and I actually think I got some bear noses too somewhere so I might maybe make some teddies. They looks like they are wearing a face mask and he could be like a ninja warrior. I wonder what you are going to name them? :)<3 Great job!!!

Thankyou!! Omgit does and I named them Kerry after the safeguarding lady who got me into the crochet <3