Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What kept you going during your hardest time?

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
I'd like some advice to help me hold on. What kept you going during your hardest time?
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo

Comments

• RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    I'll get to my answer a little bit below but I just want to say @Kate_20 that everyone deals with hardships differently and that what me and other board users talk about still might not be best for you. I hope you're able to find what keeps you going and get through whatever tough times you struggle with. <3

Honestly what really helped me through when I was struggling the most was having my friends and family to support me, I've talked about this in other threads but I really wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for the help I received from others. This is also why I so strongly believe that people need other people and that talking to people you trust about your problems is the best first step towards recovery.

I also really just focus on taking things one day at a time and focus on what little things I can do to get me through each day feeling alright. If I can lay down at the end of the day and feel good about myself then I count that as a win!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    Hey @Kate_20,

As Riley has said, we're all so different, and we're all on our own journeys. So we all deal with our situations differently, and I think you're really strong for how much you've dealt with, and how open and honest you are with us here. We care a lot about you, and we're always here for you. What things make you happy?

For me, I think when I got my Hamster, I really had no choice but to keep going for him, because I didn't want to leave him, but I understand that's not always enough for people, and that's perfectly normal. I also decided that I wanted to focus on my recovery so that I could help others who are struggling in similar situations, and try to make a difference to the system and awareness of what it's truly like to be in such a difficult situation, and feel like there's no way out.

Music has also been a really great help for me, I adore music, and can't really go a day without listening to it, so I just couldn't let go of the idea that I wouldn't be able to hear it again. It can also be really beneficial to work with your GP or another mental health professional to find you a service that truly believes in your recovery, until you can too. I believe that you can recover from this, and that you're capable of doing some really amazing things in your life. You've got experiences and strengths that nobody else has.

I think the most important thing for you to do right now, is focus on your mental health, and to take each day as it comes. Maybe trying to slowly incorporate something that brings you joy and makes you feel comforted and safe, a little each day. Smaller steps are almost always more important than big leaps. You waking up each day and trying may be your best right now, and that's honestly incredible. It's important to try not to compare yourself to others around you, because they aren't going through what you are. Mental health is so unique to each of us, no two of us will struggle the same way, and that doesn't mean your struggles are any less important. You're worthy no matter what your best is. It may be just getting out of bed each day, but that's something to be extremely extremely proud of, because often that's one of the hardest things we can do.

I'm sending you so much love, and remember we're always here for you. You matter, and you're so worthy of love, kindness and support. <3
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @Kate_20

Thanks for reaching out. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out. You have been really brave in reaching out for support in your darkest moments. I will always be so proud of you for doing that! Would you like to talk about why it is your hardest time?

I am really glad to see the wonderful support already provided by @Riley and @Brookee. As both have already said, we are all different in what helps us to keep going in our darkest moments. Finding some strategies which work for you will be really important here. We are all more than happy to help you to navigate what might help you. For example, is there a scent you find relaxing? Do you like to see particular things? Do you like certain textures – do they help you to be more grounded? What do you like to taste? What do you like to hear?

In my darkest moment, what helped me the most was taking it minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day. Also knowing that other people were there for me even if I didn’t want to take their support was really helpful as it helped me to feel less alone and more supported (even if I didn’t admit that at the time!). It was knowing that people cared. It was also knowing I could listen to music and relate to it because that meant other people heard me and must have also gone through it and come out the other side. There was also a quote that really helped me, and I have copied and pasted it at the bottom of this message.

I just want you to know that we are here for you, listening to you and caring about you. If there’s anything at all we can do to help, please just let us know!

pwto1e563tdt.jpg
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.