Home Politics & Debate
We've started our first discussion for our Christmas campaign which is focusing on religion or cultural beliefs that help you when you're feeling down. Some of the responses will be used anonymously on social media as a video. If you'd like to take part, head over to this thread.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What's your political leaning?

MikeMike 🎧LandaanPosts: 3,756 Community Manager
Title says it. Curious what the balance is on the community. :)

If you don't know what your political leaning is, here's a simple diagram:

in73qzeu332s.png

What's your political leaning? 12 votes

Far left
16% 2 votes
Centre left
66% 8 votes
Centre
8% 1 vote
Centre right
8% 1 vote
Far right
0% 0 votes
Something different
0% 0 votes
I don't know
0% 0 votes
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Want to join the community champions? Drop @TheMix a message!

Comments

  • AislingDMAislingDM Posts: 516 Moderator
    Love this thread, think it's really cool to see the balance on here :) I'd say somewhere between centre and far left (but closer to far left), just because I would never purport to be an expert on the specifics of economic stuff!
    MikeLa_La
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    @Mike This is a really interesting thread, thanks so much!

    I'm similar to @AislingDM between far left and centre left. I don't know enough about certain areas to be completely in one lane :)
    MikeLa_La
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Obnoxiously Large Anchor Somewhere in the sea 🌊Posts: 1,124 Wise Owl
    Seemingly I'm centre right. I think people that work for their money have earned it, so why should they be taxed heavier to "even" the playing field, when some people literally choose to cheat the benefits system to be lazy.

    It's funny though because I despise the Tories and I personally vote SNP.

    Interesting.

    This is why I don't like politics :lol:
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    MikeLa_La
  • MikeMike 🎧 LandaanPosts: 3,756 Community Manager
    edited November 24
    Anch0r33 wrote: »
    It's funny though because I despise the Tories and I personally vote SNP.

    Interesting.

    This is why I don't like politics :lol:
    I find there's usually a difference between one's ideology and the politicians they support. :tongue:

    Thanks guys - super interesting. I like that you all mentioned economics, and it's worth highlighting that your social and economic alignment can be different. For example, you can be socially liberal but fiscally more conservative. Wish there was an easy way to capture that in a poll!
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

    Want to join the community champions? Drop @TheMix a message!
    Anch0r33La_La
  • AzzimanAzziman The Mix convert Posts: 1,162 Wise Owl
    edited November 27
    Mike wrote: »
    Anch0r33 wrote: »
    It's funny though because I despise the Tories and I personally vote SNP.

    Interesting.

    This is why I don't like politics :lol:
    I find there's usually a difference between one's ideology and the politicians they support. :tongue:

    Thanks guys - super interesting. I like that you all mentioned economics, and it's worth highlighting that your social and economic alignment can be different. For example, you can be socially liberal but fiscally more conservative. Wish there was an easy way to capture that in a poll!

    Yeah I think there's the political compass that tries to do that, to differentiate these - e.g. Stalin and Gandhi were both left, but the former was very authoritarian whereas the latter wasn't. Though that test has it's own methodological issues.

    I think they did a poll on British people - from memory, most Brits are slightly left of centre, centrist, or right of centre, and slightly authoritarian. Interesting insights for sure :)
    MikeLa_La
  • maryam852maryam852 Posts: 153 Helping Hand
    @Mike I agree completely. I actually have a communist friend (she supports the ideology not the people) and she was speaking to me about this. I would have to say that I am a left-wing liberal but an open to change. I also wanted to say how happy I am that this is a thread, it is good to have healthy discussion.
    MikeLa_La
  • MikeMike 🎧 LandaanPosts: 3,756 Community Manager
    Azziman wrote: »
    Yeah I think there's the political compass that tries to do that, to differentiate these - e.g. Stalin and Gandhi were both left, but the former was very authoritarian whereas the latter wasn't. Though that test has it's own methodological issues.
    Ah, like this @Azziman?

    hxtuo07pqfe9.png
    Azziman wrote: »
    I think they did a poll on British people - from memory, most Brits are slightly left of centre, centrist, or right of centre, and slightly authoritarian. Interesting insights for sure :)
    Interesting. Do you know if it was a recent poll? I wonder if that's changed lately.
    maryam852 wrote: »
    @Mike I agree completely. I actually have a communist friend (she supports the ideology not the people) and she was speaking to me about this. I would have to say that I am a left-wing liberal but an open to change. I also wanted to say how happy I am that this is a thread, it is good to have healthy discussion.
    Good on you for being open to new ideas @maryam852. :) It's interesting when you get into the more 'extreme' ideologies - I know people who are advocates of communism too but they tend to caveat it with the understanding that it tends not to work in practice. I wonder if there's a difference between supporting something in theory or in some utopian ideal, but then needing to confront realities and looking at things in a more grounded way and having to compromise?
    maryam852 wrote: »
    (she supports the ideology not the people)
    Would be interested to hear more about this. :) Is it that your friend doesn't support real-world communist figures, but sees merits in the principles of communism?
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

    Want to join the community champions? Drop @TheMix a message!
  • ApolloApollo Teenage Dirtbag ScotlandPosts: 756 Part of The Mix Family
    Something I find interesting about the political compass is that there isn't really a true centre for political beliefs, everything is relative. For example believing in public healthcare in the UK isn't considered to be especially left wing, it's the norm, but in the US it would be.

    Also kind of interesting is how the centre can shift. There is a concept called the "Overton Window" which refers to how left or right you can be of centre and have it be socially acceptable. People in power can shift this window by deliberately going outside of it. If a prime minister or president is to say something that is far more right wing than what's accepted things that are slightly less right wing than that seem more reasonable in comparison and are therefore more likely to be accepted due to the fact that it's better than what the person in power believes. Not that relevant really I just find that interesting
    🎵 I feel so funny these days, I'd rather sleep than stay awake 🎵
    La_La
  • MikeMike 🎧 LandaanPosts: 3,756 Community Manager
    Think this is a really good point @Apollo. The healthcare example you used is one of the biggest cases of that I think. It really does depend on where you live and the surrounding context.
    Apollo wrote: »
    Also kind of interesting is how the centre can shift. There is a concept called the "Overton Window" which refers to how left or right you can be of centre and have it be socially acceptable. People in power can shift this window by deliberately going outside of it. If a prime minister or president is to say something that is far more right wing than what's accepted things that are slightly less right wing than that seem more reasonable in comparison and are therefore more likely to be accepted due to the fact that it's better than what the person in power believes. Not that relevant really I just find that interesting
    I didn't know about this, but that's so interesting! I can really see how that would play out. Really shows how everything is so relativistic when you're talking about politics and societal views.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

    Want to join the community champions? Drop @TheMix a message!
  • La_LaLa_La PLANET MARSPosts: 94 Budding Regular
    This was really interesting, thank you. I think I am more center left or center-leaning, but I'm not sure, I find it really difficult to find the right political stance to take. I do believe all people are equal however there are disadvantages in society and economics that creates inequality...however I am not sure what is the best way to solve this XD
    ~ Dreamer ~
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,243 Skive's The Limit
    I find such visualisations and spectrums quite restrictive and limiting, but if I had to label myself I would say I'm a democratic socialist, which would generally put me well on the left.
    Weekender Offender 
  • maryam852maryam852 Posts: 153 Helping Hand
    @Mike Exactly! She sees its merits but agrees how badly it's gone in practice. In fact, she goes as far to say that the communism we have seen in action doesn't follow the principles of communism at all!
  • AzzimanAzziman The Mix convert Posts: 1,162 Wise Owl
    Mike wrote: »
    Azziman wrote: »
    Yeah I think there's the political compass that tries to do that, to differentiate these - e.g. Stalin and Gandhi were both left, but the former was very authoritarian whereas the latter wasn't. Though that test has it's own methodological issues.
    Ah, like this @Azziman?

    hxtuo07pqfe9.png

    yep that's the one! but as @Apollo says, it is relative, as is our concept of centre, left, right, depending on which country/culture you are from. Some British people think Macron's LREM is left-wing, but then some Americans think that Boris' Conservatives are left-wing. Perspective is important.
Sign In or Register to comment.