Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What's your favourite comfort tv shows or films?

BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
As it's getting closer to winter, and the daylight is shortening, I know it can be really difficult time for everyone. I thought I'd create this thread as it may help others find new comfort shows or films in a time where it's needed most.

My favourite comfort films are the Harry Potter series, I feel like winter is always the best time to watch them. I also am loving Once Upon A Time right now, it just feels like a warm hug to me right now. (No spoilers please, I've only just started it, I know I'm late haha)

Sending love to you all, don't forget we're always here for you to reach out to whenever you need it <3

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    My comfort shows tend to be comedies. Things like outnumbered, the inbetweeners, Friday night dinner, etc.

I also love gogglebox, and watch it most nights before bed.

Also lighthearted reality TV like the great British bake off.

Quiz shows. They provide a good distraction when I try to guess the questions.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Gilmore girls
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @independent_ Comedies are incredible ways to escape reality. I adore outnumbered and Friday Night Dinner, it's so fun meeting people with similar interests!

I agree, I do love a bit of The Chase, I've been really invested in Celebrity Catchphrase in the evenings at the minute, do you have a favourite quiz show?

@GreenTea
    This is so cool, thank you both so much for sharing <3

Hope you're both keeping okay!
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    @Brookee yes! They’re all great shows. I love the chase too, and idk if you’ve ever watched it but beat the chasers (where they try to take on more than one chaser) is also amazing. Favourites have to be the chase and tenable
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    @independent_ I agree! I have actually seen that, It's so intense to watch but amazing all the same.

I think I've only seen Tenable a few times, but it's always nice to hear other people's favourites, thank you for sharing :)
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Superstore
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Shaunie I love superstore! So so funny! Thanks so much for sharing.

@zaynab_5 I don't think I've ever seen the second one, is it any good?
  • Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    edited November 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @zaynab_5 That sounds very comforting, at least it makes it easier to follow when things are already tough and confusing. I will definitely give it a watch, thank you so much for sharing! :)
  • Eleasha27Eleasha27 Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
    This is such a good idea, we definitely need more comfort shows and films this time of year with the darker evenings! My comfort tv shows are Gossip Girl and Gavin & Stacey, I also love the Harry Potter films too! <3
    @Eleasha27 Thank you, I agree, it gets so much harder with such little daylight. Those are some excellent choices!! Gavin and Stacey is so great to watch when you need a little pick me up :)

Harry Potter is such a good autumn/winter film franchise isn't it? I always look forward to when they're on ITV :)

Thank you so much for sharing with us <3
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Rewatched Girlfriends recently and it was amazing.
    @lovemimoon

I've actually never seen that, thanks so much for the suggestion! I'm so pleased you enjoyed it! Thanks so much for sharing with us!
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 611 Incredible Poster
    I love Harry Potter and Once Upon a Time!

But I also love re-watching episodes of Doctor Who as well :D
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    @Maisy Thanks so much for sharing with us! They're just wonderful things to immerse yourself in when things are a little tough aren't they? Ooh which Doctor is your favourite? :)
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I love that everyone views HP as a Christmas film series, it's all the beautiful winter snow cinematography they've got!! I'd say New Girl and the Twilight film series make me feel a lot of comfort (except for New Moon, gosh that scene where she's just sitting in a chair for months is so sad). xxx
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    @AislingDM I agree, it's such beautiful cinematography they have! Have you seen the lovely pictures Warner Bros have posted of Hogwarts in the snow? It looks beautiful! New Girl is such a wholesome program, the way they all care for one another is so lovely! Twilight is also a very good shout! New moon cinematography is so beautiful and really radiates autumn doesn't it?

Thank you so much for sharing with us!! xxx
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Omg no defo need to go search that up right now!! yes 100% that's the thing like I feel anything that can make you feel warm inside is a good comfort show/movie even if it's sad in the end or something =)
    @AislingDM It's so wonderful! You're going to love it!! I agree! Cinematography is always something that blows me away when watching films, I especially adore the cinematography in The Grand Budapest Hotel! Have you seen it?
  • EllipseEllipse Posts: 8 Confirmed not a robot
    I like watching sitcoms like Friends and The Big Bang Theory, something to have on in the background that can just make you feel better. Bake Off was also something we'd all watch together so that was really nice at the end of the day when you could just get on.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.
    @Ellipse Thank you so much for sharing with us! I agree, easy sitcoms are very handy in hard times, something that can bring you a little cheer, but not something you have to stay consistently engaged in if you're struggling to concentrate or focus! That's such a lovely tradition! Bake Off is a lovely programme to enjoy with family! Have you ever done a bake off in your house as like a mini competition? A few of my friends have done that with their families before, often before the Bake Off final :)
    @Brookee Yes, they've honestly been super helpful right now, helps to relax. If I hadn't watched them all I would pay more attention though! I've never done a bake off competition in my house, my parents think they'd be hopeless lol. I'm the only one who bakes, which is something I really, really enjoy, it's very therapeutic. It gives me a unique sense of accomplishment. What about you? Do you bake?
    @Ellipse I'm so pleased to hear that they're helping you! Bless them, baking is an art form but it's always fun when things come out a little bit different to how you'd expect. That's really interesting to read! I've heard a few people find baking therapeutic, what's your favourite thing to bake? I do enjoy baking actually, thank you for asking, but I'm a bit of perfectionist so it can often be a bit more stressful than fun, but it all depends on what I'm baking and if it's for an occasion or just for fun :)
    @Brookee Thanks for being so interested, you're such a positive person :) I usually like baking cakes, a big variety, but sometimes I bake cookies too. I haven't made anything recently, but luckily I have more time now since I'm off school. I can feel the same stress as well if I'm baking something for a big event or if it's unfamiliar (still very nervous to try bread), so I understand that. But even if it doesn't turn out exactly as you'd hoped, that just means you can adjust what you did so it turns out differently next time! And like you said, it can be very interesting when it comes out a bit odd lol.
    @Ellipse Of course! Bless you, that's so kind of you to say, thank you so much :) That's such a lovely thing to do! What's your favourite cakes to bake? That sounds really exciting, now you get to spend some time doing what you love, do you often bake stuff for Christmas? Yeah it can be super stressful but I always think it's slightly fun at the same time, even if that's a little consumed by the stress :') I reckon you'd smash making bread!! Exactly! It's always a good giggle when you've baked something and it's come out a little misshapen :)
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    I LOVE agents of shield. I’m currently rewatching it, I love it so much.
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
    @Dandelion Amazing!! I haven't actually seen that yet, I assume it's really good? Thank you so much for sharing with us! It's really interesting seeing what everyone loves!
  • charlieboyzcharlieboyz Posts: 178 Helping Hand
    @Brookee my favourite tv show is the yorkshire vet. Sure some episodes are heart-breaking but i just love cute animals
    @charlieboyz I agree the Yorkshire vet is such a lovely programme! It can be so sad I agree, but when they have little baby animals, it's adorable! Thank you so much for sharing with us :)