Home Health and Wellbeing
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Your go-to self-care thingy?

AislingDMAislingDM Posts: 81 Budding Regular
I know 'self-care' as a phrase has become quite heavily co-opted by companies and other people trying to sell 'remedies' or 'quick fixes' for mental health needs, so I do hope this post does not come across as patronising or invalidating. However, I am wondering what everyone's favourite/most relaxing self-care activity is? It can be anything from classic things like having a bath or talking to a friend or less common things like writing yourself a permission slip.

D67xebOWkAAhWJV.jpg

Past UserAidanlovemimoon_Tech_Addict_GirlSpaceOtterLorryTrucknatalie_bcoc0macLucy307

Comments

• AislingDMAislingDM Posts: 81 Budding Regular
    For me, my fave is probably re watching episodes of the same TV shows/ bits of films that I love. I find it quite hard to let go of TV shows, books and films once they're over, so rewatching them when I feel distressed really makes me feel a sense of warm relaxed nostalgia. I feel comfort in my heart.
    Aidanlovemimoon
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Helping Hand
    Self-care for me is shutting myself off from the rest of the world, putting my earphones in and going for a run/jog around the lake. I really enjoy getting outside and spending time alone doing what i enjoy most, running. :smile:

Orrrrr, nowt really beats fresh bedding, a shower and putting my fave films on. I'll typically try and rope my pals into watching a movie with me through netflix party or if i want some alone time, i'll watch toy story or (dont judge) come dine with me :lol:

AidanlovemimoonAislingDM
  • AidanAidan Clever idiot Posts: 2,982 Boards Guru
    Now running is very much beyond my abilities, but I really enjoy a good walk! Especially early morning when the sun's coming up, I'm going to start going to our local pond more often and feeding the swans :smile:

Also... video games! For a few minutes hours you can lose yourself in another world and forget about this one, it's truly addictive wonderful
    but idk tho
    AislingDM
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 251 The Mix Regular
    My favourite self-care thingie...?

Listening to music, and similar to you, watching TV shows! My mind is always occupied so I need a soft distraction.
    Sometimes, I do a bit of journalling too! :3
    AislingDM
  • SpaceOtterSpaceOtter Posts: 13 Settling in
    I like reading and listening to music. But my favourite thing to do as self care is paint by numbers, it requires a little focus meaning I don’t think too much. It allows me to switch off and just relax :)

lovemimoonAislingDM
    Fed the swans at this morning, was b-e-a-utiful AND VERY COLD

gjadozarz9e1.jpg
    but idk tho
    SpaceOtterlovemimoonJordanAislingDM
  • SpaceOtterSpaceOtter Posts: 13 Settling in
    That’s really cool @Aidan and that’s a stunning photograph <3
    Aidan
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 251 The Mix Regular
    Aidan wrote: »
    Fed the swans at this morning, was b-e-a-utiful AND VERY COLD

gjadozarz9e1.jpg

How the hell did you manage to get a picture of a swan this close and not get attacked???

Either way, the photography is stunning! :love:<3
    Aidan
  • RileyRiley Posts: 733 Super Moderator
    Something I use as self-care all the time is YouTube videos honestly, I don't think there's anything that relaxes me more than just putting on some random video in the background and turning off my brain.
    AislingDMAidan
  • LaineLaine Fruit loop Gone for gooPosts: 2,761 Boards Guru
    edited April 25
    There's quite a few things on my list,

As you can see right now sometimes I do enjoy being up early, hearing the birds, listening to music and just chilling. :)

Music is a big one because I can use it with anything, I love watching a good tv show with a cuppa. Video games sometimes (but not had the willpower for those lately)

Sometimes I do enjoy colouring in, editing photos is a good one.

Edit. I can't believe I forgot animal crossing! Great to lose yourself in such a calm perfect world ❤️

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
    AislingDMAidanlovemimoon
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 838 Part of The Mix Family
    Love this thread!

Music is a huge one for me, shifts my mood a lot. Journalling, especially when I have a lot on my mind.

I love scrolling through pinterest too. I find it inspiring, and gives me the chance to focus only on my life, rather than scrolling through social media to focus on other people's :heart:
    AislingDMAidanlovemimoon
    Oh guys thank you all so much for replying!!! I know that sharing our different self-care tactics and skills can be super helpful - lord knows I'm defo going to try a bunch of these :) I especially love that music is so important to a lot of people. It's such a beautiful thing! For me, depending upon which kind of mood I'm in different music will work. Sometimes self-care is just sitting in the sadness with sad songs like Liability by Lorde lol x But equally sometimes it's trying to lift myself out of that emotional place with positive feelings music like stereo love by Edward Maya!!!

p.s. @Aidan LOVE the swan <3
    Aidan
  • GemmaGemma Posts: 123 Moderator
    I love this thread and it's been difficult finding more self care things through lockdown when there's been so little to do!

I'm the same as most and find music really relaxing, especially for going on really long walks. I've also started embroidery through lockdown, it's helped focus my mind and also get something really pretty as an end result which is satisfying!
    AidanAislingDM
    Thank you @SpaceOtter @lovemimoon ! It's a nearly everyday ritual my trip to feed the swans, they do come VERY close to me and they're not aggressive or anything at all, they must really like sweetcorn :lol:

5bofdqyenj8c.jpg

pe49xp203hsb.jpg

Being outside in the lovely country and with the fresh air, and having a reason to get out of bed, it does me a lot of good too!
    but idk tho
    lovemimoonAislingDM
  • MaisyMaisy The Mix convert CymruPosts: 346 Moderator
    Sometimes I let things build up and end up procrastinating. This is bad for me because it's always there on the back of my mind and causes more stress. So part of my self care is to actually try to get things done in a decent amount of time so that it doesn't build up and feel overwhelming.

I would also say being more honest as well. I have habit of going along with things and then regretting or even resenting it. I've tried to hide parts of myself and go along with others. But I've learnt its better for me to be honest and I've noticed this also helps strengthen my relationships with others too!

Other than that, I need to schedule in time to do things I enjoy, such as playing video games to help me relax a bit and make sure that I'm exercising and sleeping well because a lack of either of those things can negatively affect me a lot.

This is a good thread :)
    lovemimoonAislingDM
    So so very true @Gemma !!! like when we are limited to a lot of indoor at-home activities it can feel a bit disheartening (particularly not being able to see friends!) but I love to hear that you're trying embroidery i'd abso love to see some pics of it - i think embroidery is so beautiful <3

I defo get what you mean @Maisy like we know letting things build up is often 'not great' but it's actually immensely difficult to actively prevent it from happening and then suddenly life is deeply overwhelming! I totally love the honesty point, especially because a lot of self-care (my own included) is based around physical activities (which can be so awesome but) thinking about honesty and communication and the way our relationships work is actually really very cool. You're so right too like you deserve to have people know the 'real you' but that's easier said than done as honesty can be hard haha :)
    Maisy