Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Your go-to self-care thingy?

AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
I know 'self-care' as a phrase has become quite heavily co-opted by companies and other people trying to sell 'remedies' or 'quick fixes' for mental health needs, so I do hope this post does not come across as patronising or invalidating. However, I am wondering what everyone's favourite/most relaxing self-care activity is? It can be anything from classic things like having a bath or talking to a friend or less common things like writing yourself a permission slip.

D67xebOWkAAhWJV.jpg

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Comments

• AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    For me, my fave is probably re watching episodes of the same TV shows/ bits of films that I love. I find it quite hard to let go of TV shows, books and films once they're over, so rewatching them when I feel distressed really makes me feel a sense of warm relaxed nostalgia. I feel comfort in my heart.
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Self-care for me is shutting myself off from the rest of the world, putting my earphones in and going for a run/jog around the lake. I really enjoy getting outside and spending time alone doing what i enjoy most, running. :smile:

Orrrrr, nowt really beats fresh bedding, a shower and putting my fave films on. I'll typically try and rope my pals into watching a movie with me through netflix party or if i want some alone time, i'll watch toy story or (dont judge) come dine with me :lol:

• lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    My favourite self-care thingie...?

Listening to music, and similar to you, watching TV shows! My mind is always occupied so I need a soft distraction.
    Sometimes, I do a bit of journalling too! :3
  • SpaceOtterSpaceOtter Community Champion Posts: 761 Part of The Mix Family
    I like reading and listening to music. But my favourite thing to do as self care is paint by numbers, it requires a little focus meaning I don’t think too much. It allows me to switch off and just relax :)

You're awesome!
  • SpaceOtterSpaceOtter Community Champion Posts: 761 Part of The Mix Family
    That’s really cool @Aidan and that’s a stunning photograph <3
    You're awesome!
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Aidan wrote: »
    Fed the swans at this morning, was b-e-a-utiful AND VERY COLD

gjadozarz9e1.jpg

How the hell did you manage to get a picture of a swan this close and not get attacked???

Either way, the photography is stunning! :love:<3
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Something I use as self-care all the time is YouTube videos honestly, I don't think there's anything that relaxes me more than just putting on some random video in the background and turning off my brain.
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    edited April 2021
    There's quite a few things on my list,

As you can see right now sometimes I do enjoy being up early, hearing the birds, listening to music and just chilling. :)

Music is a big one because I can use it with anything, I love watching a good tv show with a cuppa. Video games sometimes (but not had the willpower for those lately)

Sometimes I do enjoy colouring in, editing photos is a good one.

Edit. I can't believe I forgot animal crossing! Great to lose yourself in such a calm perfect world ❤️

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Love this thread!

Music is a huge one for me, shifts my mood a lot. Journalling, especially when I have a lot on my mind.

I love scrolling through pinterest too. I find it inspiring, and gives me the chance to focus only on my life, rather than scrolling through social media to focus on other people's :heart:
    Oh guys thank you all so much for replying!!! I know that sharing our different self-care tactics and skills can be super helpful - lord knows I'm defo going to try a bunch of these :) I especially love that music is so important to a lot of people. It's such a beautiful thing! For me, depending upon which kind of mood I'm in different music will work. Sometimes self-care is just sitting in the sadness with sad songs like Liability by Lorde lol x But equally sometimes it's trying to lift myself out of that emotional place with positive feelings music like stereo love by Edward Maya!!!

p.s. @Aidan LOVE the swan <3
  • Gemma1Gemma1 Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    I love this thread and it's been difficult finding more self care things through lockdown when there's been so little to do!

I'm the same as most and find music really relaxing, especially for going on really long walks. I've also started embroidery through lockdown, it's helped focus my mind and also get something really pretty as an end result which is satisfying!
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster
    Sometimes I let things build up and end up procrastinating. This is bad for me because it's always there on the back of my mind and causes more stress. So part of my self care is to actually try to get things done in a decent amount of time so that it doesn't build up and feel overwhelming.

I would also say being more honest as well. I have habit of going along with things and then regretting or even resenting it. I've tried to hide parts of myself and go along with others. But I've learnt its better for me to be honest and I've noticed this also helps strengthen my relationships with others too!

Other than that, I need to schedule in time to do things I enjoy, such as playing video games to help me relax a bit and make sure that I'm exercising and sleeping well because a lack of either of those things can negatively affect me a lot.

This is a good thread :)
    So so very true @Gemma !!! like when we are limited to a lot of indoor at-home activities it can feel a bit disheartening (particularly not being able to see friends!) but I love to hear that you're trying embroidery i'd abso love to see some pics of it - i think embroidery is so beautiful <3

I defo get what you mean @Maisy like we know letting things build up is often 'not great' but it's actually immensely difficult to actively prevent it from happening and then suddenly life is deeply overwhelming! I totally love the honesty point, especially because a lot of self-care (my own included) is based around physical activities (which can be so awesome but) thinking about honesty and communication and the way our relationships work is actually really very cool. You're so right too like you deserve to have people know the 'real you' but that's easier said than done as honesty can be hard haha :)
  • naominaomi Posts: 94 Budding Regular
    Hey so my self care thingy is sitting outside when I have just woken up and just being aware of my surroundings. I particularly love doing this when it's sunny because I typically wake up around 8-9 am so just sitting outside and allowing my mind to be at peace and rest.
    Another thing I like doing is playing Just Dance on my Nintendo switch. It's so fun and you can dance and look silly or take it super seriously like your on stage doing your own performance, it's entirely up to you =). But if you don't have a switch you can use the Just Dance Now app and your laptop to see the dances.
  • Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I abso love these @naomi especially because each thing seems quite different from the other, one to bring peace and relaxation and one to bring energetic excitement =) I think this is so awesome and will defo give the sunshine idea a go (only the waking up early does not appeal to me lol!).

I LOVE to hear that you enjoy learning as something that brings you joy @zaynab_5 <3 Out of interest, what kind of YouTube videos bring you happiness? (for me, it's interviews with celebs, especially when they play games like 'most asked questions about x celeb'). :)
  • Past UserPast User Recovering🥀 LondonPosts: 0 Just got here
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Omg defo same!!! It's so wonderful watching people interact within relationships - so fun =) and yes sameeee about the makeup, without makeup artists online I would never be able to do any eyeshadow (I still use sellotape to do my eyeshadow to get the perfect line lol!)
    @zaynab_5 (oops forgot to tag u) x
  • natdsnatds Posts: 12 Settling in
    Hi @AislingDM! I think my favourite self care activity is colouring those calming pattern books or lying down on a blanket in the park and just relaxing in the sun (doesn't happen often here in the UK though haha). Anything that gets me away from my phone for a bit as I can get pretty overwhelmed with social media sometimes!
    Those sound abso wonderful @natds seriously, especially getting the sun but as u say so frustrating when you're in the UK and it hardly is warm!!! I love the sound of the colouring books =) do you make an effort to colour inside the lines?? That makes total sense too about social media, like it can be such a strong force within our lives that sometimes we just need to move away and say 'hey I need a break' but that is way easier said than done!! <3