Home Work & Study It's Exam Time The Class of The Past
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mock Exams

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
edited May 2022 in The Class of The Past
Hi,

As most of you probably know I am currently in year 10 so I thankfully don't have to do my exams until next year although I have heard a lot of stuff about mocks. What exactly are the mock exams, how significant are they and would they also be for coursework based subjects such as Health and Social Care and Photography or are they just for certain subjects? Are mock exams external (sent to the exam board) or internal (marked by the school?)
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• natalie_bnatalie_b Posts: 45 Boards Initiate
    Mocks are practise exams that allow you to see how much of the exam content you know really well and what things you need to learn. They are usually not worth anything towards your final qualification (GSCE in your case @Dancer). However they may be used to give you a target grade, or even as the final grade in extenuating circumstances, for example if you cannot sit the exam.

Usually you won’t have a sit down mock exam for a subject unless there will be a final exam. However they may do a mock coursework run through. Usually mock exams are marked by your teachers and not sent off to the board, they are really just for yours and your teachers use to gage where you are.

Hope this answers all your questions! Good luck I’m sure you will smash them ❤️
  • natalie_bnatalie_b Posts: 45 Boards Initiate
    I will add that you should check out all your questions with a teacher, just to make sure. As things can vary from school to school! :)
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    Thank you so much for that. One of the subjects I do has no exams, one of the subjects that I do has an exam component at the end and one of the subjects has an exam at the end but the rest of it is coursework.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    These are the subjects that I do and what would be happening if GCSE exams are going ahead next year.

Sports Leadership: No exams- all coursework
    Citizenship: Exams
    Spanish: Exams
    Photography: No actual exam paper but there is an exam component done over about 12 weeks
    Health and Social Care: Exam
    Dance: Exam paper and also some videos for exam board
    Maths: Exams
    English: Exams
    Science: Exams
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Those are some really awesome subjects @Dancer !!! Particularly dance and photography - I would have loved to have done such rewarding subjects at school (totally agree with everything Natalie said too, mocks are usually just about seeing how you're doing and I am sure things will be okay).
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Sounds like a great mix of subjects @Dancer :blush:

How are you feeling about the idea of mocks? :heart:
  • Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    edited April 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Good question @LorryTruck :) Yeah so in the UK, usually mock exams do not begin until Year 10 around January time and as said above the purpose is to have a baseline of how you are doing at the time. (Obviously most schools do not expect students to get really high grades because you're only like 4 months into learning GCSE content). Schools are meant to give lots of warning so that you have enough time to revise - that way any worries can be minimised <3

How have you found any of the exams that you've done this year? :3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    No worries @LorryTruck ! I'm glad to hear they've been going well - I know they can be really stressful for some people, so I'm happy that people are talking about their experiences with tests :)
    Bless your heart @LorryTruck <3 I can't imagine how frustrating that must be for you. Coming away from a test and worrying about it being difficult is never comfortable! Like you deserve to feel relaxed about and enjoy your education!! I know for me that science was always a tough subject, so I'm right there with you! =)

I'm curious what about the science test was hard this time around?
    I'm so right there with you @LorryTruck maths and science are my toughest too. It really does make sense for it to cause you distress, especially if you have teachers reminding you of the importance of tests. Oh bless you hun, like as you say over the average mark is better than below, but when it's not what you were looking for/hoping to get that feels quite irrelevant :( I'm curious do the teacher's at least give feedback on tests?

One thing that my dad told me a few years back that has really stuck with me is 'it's really unlikely that something that happens to you at 19 is going to stay with you forever' (obv this depends on the situation) and sometimes I feel really happy when I remember it because I know I can try again in a worst-case scenario and other times the quote annoys me haha but maybe it will bring you some comfort (just swap out 19 for your age xx)
    edited May 2021
    Post edited by Jordan on
  • espurrierviespurriervi Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
    Dancer wrote: »
    Hi,

As most of you probably know I am currently in year 10 so I thankfully don't have to do my exams until next year although I have heard a lot of stuff about mocks. What exactly are the mock exams, how significant are they and would they also be for coursework based subjects such as Health and Social Care and Photography or are they just for certain subjects? Are mock exams external (sent to the exam board) or internal (marked by the school?)

Hi! Just here to say please please out effort into your mocks, people around you may say they're useless but theyre a great measure of how you're doing and what areas you may need to revise before your actual exams :)
    treat yourself with kindness
    I'm glad they do give feedback because at least it doesn't leave you scared about how to 'improve', I hope the feedback is positively constructive though (you deserve encouragement, not distress) @LorryTruck I totally get what you mean, like the idea that these things will impact you forever is a worrying one. Especially when lots of people are telling you from all angles that your life should have some kind of set plan. The funny thing is (and ofc this is not always the case for everyone) there are quite a few people now who are starting to change their entire career path at random points in their life. One time, at my supermarket job, a customer talked to me about how they were a lawyer for like 20 years and decided, actually no, I want to go into non-pharmacological medicine practices. And they seemed really happy with their choice. I know that when you're choosing, it's not as simple as 'hey don't worry you can change your mind in thirty years' so remember to let yourself feel that worry, don't pretend those feelings are not there. However, I really am glad you're letting us all know how you're feeling, so hopefully we can support you with working through it <3

Any chance you'll tell me about your fave subjects that you might choose next year? :)
    I defo get what you mean @espurriervi !! Mocks are pretty awesome practice and can help to alleviate some anxiety about doing the 'official' public exams. So it never hurts to give it your all, if you're able to =)
    That sounds so dreamy!! What is it that you love so much about music then? Also very cool for history and Spanish (learning languages is super important, as well as understanding the events of history <3).
    That makes total sense like it gives you a sense of both motivation and understanding sometimes lyrics are the only way one can express themselves ! Do you know if music GCSE requires you to make your own music or is it more like you play/sing existing songs?
    That's so very cool!!! So what is your fave way of making music, like do you sing or play instruments or prefer song writing? :)
    Aghhhhh my mocks start in 3 weeks! :( At least I won't have mocks for Health and Social Care (my exam is in January) or for Sports Leadership (it is only a 1 year course and it is all based on coursework.)
    Maths: 2 papers (Non-Calculator and Calculator)
    Science: I think that there are 3 papers (6 when it is actual exams)
    English: I think that it is 1 paper- maybe 2 at the most for mocks
    Citizenship: 1 paper
    Sports Leadership: No exams
    Spanish: I think that it is 2 or 3 papers (Reading, Writing and Listening) There isn't going to be a mock for Speaking this time.
    Photography: Not sure yet because there is no actual final exam although there is an exam component towards the end of year 11
    Health and Social Care: Not sure if there is a mock (about 90% certain that there is no mock) as my exam is in January
    Dance: 1 paper (3 sections)
    I'll be getting 25% extra time and doing my exams in a different room though. I have my non-calculator Maths mock on Friday though so it isn't actually during the mock window so not sure if I will get my exam concessions although the result is going towards my mock grade.
    Lol me neither about singing !!! @LorryTruck I think instruments are very cool and must take a lot of skill - what do you play?

That sounds like a lot on your plate atm @Dancer ! I'm glad to hear you have your alternative arrangements, but I know this does not offset anxiety and stress surrounding mocks. How are you feeling with them coming up? (is there a particular exam your most worried about?) <3