Home It's Exam Time
Exciting news! Join our watch club and get free access to NOW for 1 month

Mock Exams

DancerDancer Bog Off Justine!Posts: 5,334 Part of The Furniture
Hi,

As most of you probably know I am currently in year 10 so I thankfully don't have to do my exams until next year although I have heard a lot of stuff about mocks. What exactly are the mock exams, how significant are they and would they also be for coursework based subjects such as Health and Social Care and Photography or are they just for certain subjects? Are mock exams external (sent to the exam board) or internal (marked by the school?)
There's a part of me I can't get back.  A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same.

Comments

• natalie_bnatalie_b Posts: 31 Moderator
    Mocks are practise exams that allow you to see how much of the exam content you know really well and what things you need to learn. They are usually not worth anything towards your final qualification (GSCE in your case @Dancer). However they may be used to give you a target grade, or even as the final grade in extenuating circumstances, for example if you cannot sit the exam.

Usually you won’t have a sit down mock exam for a subject unless there will be a final exam. However they may do a mock coursework run through. Usually mock exams are marked by your teachers and not sent off to the board, they are really just for yours and your teachers use to gage where you are.

Hope this answers all your questions! Good luck I’m sure you will smash them ❤️
  • natalie_bnatalie_b Posts: 31 Moderator
    I will add that you should check out all your questions with a teacher, just to make sure. As things can vary from school to school! :)
  • DancerDancer Bog Off Justine! Posts: 5,334 Part of The Furniture
    Thank you so much for that. One of the subjects I do has no exams, one of the subjects that I do has an exam component at the end and one of the subjects has an exam at the end but the rest of it is coursework.
    There's a part of me I can't get back.  A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same.
  • DancerDancer Bog Off Justine! Posts: 5,334 Part of The Furniture
    These are the subjects that I do and what would be happening if GCSE exams are going ahead next year.

Sports Leadership: No exams- all coursework
    Citizenship: Exams
    Spanish: Exams
    Photography: No actual exam paper but there is an exam component done over about 12 weeks
    Health and Social Care: Exam
    Dance: Exam paper and also some videos for exam board
    Maths: Exams
    English: Exams
    Science: Exams
  • AislingDMAislingDM Posts: 27 Boards Initiate
    Those are some really awesome subjects @Dancer !!! Particularly dance and photography - I would have loved to have done such rewarding subjects at school (totally agree with everything Natalie said too, mocks are usually just about seeing how you're doing and I am sure things will be okay).
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 806 Part of The Mix Family
    Sounds like a great mix of subjects @Dancer :blush:

How are you feeling about the idea of mocks? :heart:
  • LorryTruckLorryTruck EnglandPosts: 183 Helping Hand
    edited April 14
    do you start mocks in year 10? im in year 9 now and yeah, know nothing about them
    Can you medicate me
    Can you feel my pulse
    I'm too far to find me
    I'm too numb to feel these broken bones   

If these scars could speak 
    You would hear my hell 
    And all the lies I use to save myself
    You would know my pain 
    And all the demons hiding in my rage
                                                                              If these scars could speak - Citizen Soldier
  • AislingDMAislingDM Posts: 27 Boards Initiate
    Good question @LorryTruck :) Yeah so in the UK, usually mock exams do not begin until Year 10 around January time and as said above the purpose is to have a baseline of how you are doing at the time. (Obviously most schools do not expect students to get really high grades because you're only like 4 months into learning GCSE content). Schools are meant to give lots of warning so that you have enough time to revise - that way any worries can be minimised <3

How have you found any of the exams that you've done this year? :3
    LorryTruck
  • LorryTruckLorryTruck EnglandPosts: 183 Helping Hand
    @AislingDM Thanks for answering.

theyve been ok.
    Can you medicate me
    Can you feel my pulse
    I'm too far to find me
    I'm too numb to feel these broken bones   

You would hear my hell 
    And all the lies I use to save myself
    You would know my pain 
    And all the demons hiding in my rage
                                                                              If these scars could speak - Citizen Soldier