Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Carers Week 2020 (1/3)

AbigailAbigail Posts: 818 Part of The Mix Family

This year’s theme is making carers visible. There are 800,001 young carers and 8.8 million carers of all ages in the UK, which is saving the NHS £132 million each year. Carers now more than ever are visible, but we do not want people to forget about carers coming out of the pandemic. We hope this article will help you not just understand your caring role but to help you embrace your role and not be afraid to say you are a carer.  

The average age a young carer is recognised is 14 this is not always the case for some. Some carers are picked up just as they leave school at 16. We understand that being recognised as a carer is like being caught doing something embarrassing it is not always something we want. Actually being recognised can be really beneficial with additional support by having day trips, evening session and with covid-19 at the moment zoom calls and social media is really being pushed for young carers to access support and know that carers centres have not forgotten about them.

Making carers visible can be really difficult, because not all carers want their caring role shared with the world and even within the community. Some of the factors we recognised and should be considered if you believe you might be a carer yourself:

• Our 'normal' is different to others
  • Running errands for someone else such as medication, shopping, etc.
  • People saying things when you see them "Are you picking this up for a relative?"
  • Realising that your different to people around you
  • Having someone depend on you
  • Putting others needs before yourself
  • We do not just do chores

Let us know your experiences of being a young carer?

Keep an eye out for the next in this series

Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.

Comments

• Options
    Just giving this a little bump 😉
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • Options
    LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Very interesting stuff Abi!

I used to care for my dad through college whenever mum was working but didn't consider myself a young carer. It was quite tricky fitting coursework around helping him so its for sure helpful to plan and i had everything set out in the end with timers :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    This was so interesting to read. I'm not a young carer anymore and I feel that with all the hype of the pandemic and other things going on in the world, it's easy for many people to forget about young carers. 

If my dad were here now, things would be really difficult for us so even though I wouldn't identify as a carer, I can see how the extra support would come in handy! 
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Laine said:
    Very interesting stuff Abi!

I used to care for my dad through college whenever mum was working but didn't consider myself a young carer. It was quite tricky fitting coursework around helping him so its for sure helpful to plan and i had everything set out in the end with timers :)

Laine Yes, its a very interesting theme this years. Thank you for sharing your experience, it must have been really difficult, looking back is there anything you might change? :)

Maisy said:
    This was so interesting to read. I'm not a young carer anymore and I feel that with all the hype of the pandemic and other things going on in the world, it's easy for many people to forget about young carers. 

If my dad were here now, things would be really difficult for us so even though I wouldn't identify as a carer, I can see how the extra support would come in handy! 

Maisy, yes I 100% agree, there has been some recent statistic saying that there is an additional 4.5 million people taking on caring roles since the start of the pandemic which in total means there is 13.6 million unpaid carers here in the UK. Extra support can come from anywhere so keep an eye out on this series to come this week.  ;)

• Options
    PoppyBPoppyB Posts: 228 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020
    Such an important thread, thank you @Abigail for writing it :)  

I had no idea that there were so many more carers during the pandemic - I think this highlights the need for carers, especially young carers, to have support in place because they have to make sure that they keep themselves and the person they care for safe. 

I am no longer a young carer but I agree with @Laine that balancing school work around caring can be very tricky. I found making a schedule to be really helpful and, if you feel comfortable, speaking to your tutor so they are aware of your situation and may be able to provide extra support. I also found that speaking to friends about how you are feeling when things get overwhelming can be a lifesaver, so make some time for a (virtual) catchup over lunch :)

For young carers needing support during the pandemic, @Millie2787 has made an excellent thread here: 
    https://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/3596388/managing-coronavirus-as-a-carer#latest

The Mix also have a wonderful article for young carers here which is full of helpful coping strategies: 
    https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/how-to-cope-as-a-young-carer-33899.html 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Just a quick little summary, 

A point which came up a lot was about planning and time, its really important for that as a carer you do plan and write lists up, if you would like any help with his check out this post which has all you need to know about it. Catching up with friends over a lunch break too if this is over message, zoom, video call these small pockets of interaction is really helpful for many carers who just need them 5 minutes to feel human, and remember that we do have a Young Carers Chat every Friday at 8pm if you would like some time for you :)

@PoppyB suggested a great link by one of the young carers @Millie2787 with the post. Furthermore, the article created by @HollyPearl titled How to cope as a young carer is also a really good link for support young carers. 

The next post in the series can be seen here