Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Post of the Month - August

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
edited September 2019 in General Chat
Hey everyone,

It's time to vote on August's Post of The Month!

What is Post of the Month?
For those of you who aren't familiar with Post of the Month, each month you can nominate threads and replies you've seen on the boards. We then put up a poll and the reply with the most votes wins Post of the Month.

Here's the nominations:

1. @Evelyn360's reply in 'Job interview'
Hi Millie2787,

First of all, congratulations on getting the interview! It can be hard sometimes just to get to this stage and as a bonus its somewhere that fits in great with your lifestyle of being into arts and crafts! 

For what to wear, I'd always recommend over dressing than under-dressing. This is the first thing employers will notice about you and show your interest in the job. If you're you're going to wear jeans I'd suggest black smartish looking ones and a nice blouse. I bought some nice vest ones from primark for a fiver a few weeks ago and they jazz up the jeans a bit along with proper shoes. 

I've had interviews before that seem similar to the one you're going to and I felt overwhelmed myself but they actually tend to structure them really well. It breaks up the process so you dont feel so thrown into everything. When they talk about the company it's a good way for your to get a feel of what they're about as well as them wanting to know you, they want the right employees as well like BubblesGoesBoo mentioned, they want to find people worth investing in. 

For questions about why you want to work there, just be truthful and tell them what attracts you. Try bringing in some of the crafty bits you enjoy and how interested you are in the things they sell, it will show you're able to talk to customers about the products. 
You can also look online about the company and say something like "I've seen online you're a good employer to work for because of x,y,z and that's something I want to get involved in." 

You can also look up interview questions online, I had a quick search and a common one for hobby craft was giving an example of bad customer service you're recently recieved and what you would have done differently. Prepping out questions and answers can help you feel more prepared on the day. I also found some bits online that said the demonstration and crafts section you have a lot of freedom with so dont stress about being given too many instructions! Although it may have changed so I'm not entirely sure what the process will be like but I hope this helps a bit  :)

2. @Spook98 's reply in 'Anxiety'
Well done for posting this here <3 I'm sure plenty of people will have advice for you, and you now you can always use this thread if you need support :) A good place to start would be telling people what seems to trigger your anxiety so people can help you accordingly. One thing I can tell you for certain is that you won't be alone in what you're feeling. Hope you start to feel better soon!

3. @knownasloner 's reply in 'Self-harm and other mental health'
Hey Maddie, welcome!

I’m so sorry to hear that you are struggling with suicidal thoughts and self-harm. It certainly isn’t something that fixes with just a click of a finger, it’d be so much easier if that was possible.

I understand that feeling of your parents not being able to understand or care. It makes it so much more difficult if no one is there fighting that battle with you. But you’re stronger than you know and, as Kasa2103 said, keep fighting! 

I’m not sure any advice I can give you will help at all but just take it day by day, try not to stress about what the rest of the week will bring. Focus on what’s happening in that moment and when you’re having better days, try not to worry about when those thoughts of self-harm and suicide will return. 

When you start to want to self-harm, distract yourself with something else. Instead of picking up something damaging, pick up a pencil or pen. Draw a picture or write what you’re feeling down, it really helps distract your mind and get your emotions out.

Have you considered talking to a counsellor? You don’t need permission from your parents. Maybe it would help, especially if you’ve been bottling up your feelings.

Apologies if that was no help. Wishing you all the best for the future  <3

You can vote below and remember to keep an eye out for posts to nominate this month. You can nominate a post by flagging it, selecting Report, and then choosing 'Post of the Month nomination' as the reason. 

Aife & the team

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Post of the Month - August 11 votes

Evelyn360
45% 5 votes
Spook98
18% 2 votes
Knownasloner
36% 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Congratulations @Evelyn360 you're August's post of the month winner! :) 

Thank you to everyone too for all of your amazing support on the boards. Your support goes such a long way and you really do make a difference <3

Aife & the team
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.