Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bad outcome to my MH services appointment

Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
👋 Hello 

So I was referred to the CMHT a month or so ago from another service that I had referred myself so as they felt they would be able to help me better which the person who I was talking to seemed to wonder why I’d even been referred to them. I had my first (and turns out last) appointment with them today, it was an initial assessment.

Im feeling really invalid and disappointed because they have discharged me from the service, as they said that it wouldn’t be best for me to receive help from them because I seem to “have a hold on things” and are coping. I was completely honest with the person about everything which was hard cause I don’t usually do that unless it’s with someone I trust but even then they couldn’t offer me anything, didn’t really sign post me to anything much either.

I feel like I’d been holding on to the hope that I’d be able to get some type of support from them or at least that they would know somewhere more appropriate. They say I need to just keep going with my exercise and general positive life style stuff and doing things to help me, which do make a difference but in terms of my mood and anxiety is still really bad. I do a lot to help myself and I feel like I try really hard to keep myself at a state that is stable and maybe okay at times but it’s really difficult with little support from family and no support from professionals. 

Thinking of going back to my GP might be the way forward, although last time they said this service was only option other than private and maybe ask them to reconsider medication for me, as before they said that it was a last last resort and don't like giving it out.

I’m really trying but this has just knocked me back, feeling really low today and feel like not sure how I’m going to cope 😔😔 my urges have been the worst they have been in weeks and having suicidal thoughts again (but I’m safe) which is hard to cope with.

Taking tonight to do self care and hope that helps me feel a bit better and start a fresh tomorrow. 

Comments

• Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,500 Skive's The Limit
    That is really disappointing, :(and it's totally understandable how you feel about this. Espically when we have put some hope into it and seeker help to not feel heard. 

The mental health services are so bad with offering hardly anyone with support. I've sat in a few assessments in my work experience and then I sat in the meeting where they talk about the assessments & it was quite upsetting about how many of the referrals they do not take on even tho it's clear they're struggling. and that may not be helpful for hear but I can imagine feels lonely - You're not alone and we will always be here to support you. 

You sound like you're doing really well to try to look after yourself.  I totally hear that gets to a point where you need more support to help with that.  You shouldn't have to deal with it by yourself. You're the only person to know how you're feeling and know what support you need/want & you do deserve it. 

It sounds like a really good idea to go back to your gp, you should keep seeking support and hopefully they will hear how much need it by keep seeking that support - if makes sense. And could ask your gp what you do now and think of ways to move forward. 

Have you tried some chairties like i think Mind can offer therapy and support sometimes and like maybe any local support groups though i don’t know much about them but mught be worth having a search on stuff available in area

hugs <3 we will always be here for you
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Thank you @Shaunie

I’ve looked into charities and groups around my area before, we don’t have a mind although I think there is one in Manchester but that would involve over an hour travelling but could look into it. A lot of the groups I have looked at are for the older age/older adults with MH problems but I keep looking in case something pops up. 

It is unfair that so many people who need support can’t access it simply because of high criteria, but I’m just going to keep looking for support and take any I can find 💗

• Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,500 Skive's The Limit
    That's a shame:( you seem really determined person and is really good  <3 you know you need help so I'm glad you're doing everything can to get it. 

Keep going <3 & we will be here when you wanna vent or whatnot

do you know when you may see your gp?
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    @Shaunie

Im not sure when I’ll see my GP, probably in the next week or so. Whenever I can get an appointment 💗
  • Options
    chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Hi @Butterfly23, I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with this. Struggling with mental illness is one thing, but it feels as though many of us are also having to deal with our own referrals without proper support. 

For some context, I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety last year while I was in my final year of university. My GP prescribed antidepressants pretty much straight away because I specifically asked for them. She also referred me to a CMHT and suggested I take advantage of the university's mental health and wellbeing services. 

During this time, I decided to withdraw from university and go home to seek treatment instead. Six months into this year, I received a phone call from CMHT saying that they had an appointment for me. So it took them just under a year to get back to me. Ridiculous. I've sought support from the NHS and I've been bounced around referrals from several GPs. The waiting lists are dire and the interim support is basically non-existent. So I know how frustrated and disappointed you must feel. 

It sounds as though, like me, you've gone above and beyond with your self-care. You're doing all the right things to keep yourself stable. But you're totally right - you need support with this. If you don't mind me asking, what is the situation with your family? Just so I can get a clearer idea of what support they might be willing to provide. 

I would definitely encourage you to go to your GP as planned. What is your relationship like with them? Do they support you adequately? Sometimes you get lucky with doctors and they are really understanding of how difficult this process is, other times they are way out of their depth. If medication is something that you feel is beneficial to your recovery, push for it. Making your case to the right doctor will get you what you need. 

You sound really positive and determined and that is half the battle. Feel free to vent here any time, and please keep us updated. 

Good luck <3
  • Options
    @chubbydumpling

Thank you, It is really difficult and i'm sorry to hear that you accessing help wasn't the smoothest and took a long time  <3

I occasionally speak to my mum about how i'm feeling, but not that often. It upsets her and I feel like she doesn't fully understand and thinks i'm a lot better than I am unfortunately. In terms of my GP I have only been twice, two different GP's because they were emergency appointments so I don't really have a relationship with them. Both were very similar in the sense that they were very reluctant to give me medication, all they recommended was the typical changing lifestyle stuff which I have been doing.

Butterfly x
  • Options
    Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Butterfly23

It sounds like quite a frustrating experience, reaching out for help, but feeling like they don't fully appreciate all that has been going on for you. You've done really well in sharing this with us here :3

Your feelings are valid, and you are deserving of support, and I hope this doesn't stop you continuing to reach out for help. Did you know that we have a free counselling service at The Mix that you can refer yourself onto? It's designed as a short term service that you can access immediately. You can refer yourself, and choose your counselling sessions via our website here.

As @chubbydumpling said, the GP is a good port of call to see if there are other ways to get support. There is a tool called DocReady that helps people prepare to talk to doctors about mental health, you can print out a checklist of what you want to say, and could even give them this to look out. 

We are all here for you Butterfly :)

Take care and stay strong,

Ed
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• Options
    @Ed_

Thank you, I did know about the counselling service and currently considering it as an option. Still haven't been to the doctors yet, i'm scared to go in case they say that there isn't anything they can do to help and i'm just struggling a lot at the moment with not knowing how to feel etc.

Butterfly