Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Post for the month - April (Part 1 of 2)

davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
edited May 2019 in General Chat
Hey All,

So the @The Mix have given me the opportunity to present to you all this months (April) post of the month. For April we have a total of 15 nominations that are chosen by you all,

starting off with jellyelephant's post in 'Trigger warning - half rant and half about pressure and body image' by kasa2103 

Hey Kasa,

body image is a tough one - there is lots of influences such as the media that can make us feel bad about our body! One thing I try and remember is all the good things our body does, its pretty amazing actually when you learn how the body works! Your body lets you run, do trampolining, see pretty sights, hear music, communicate with other people and much much more. Pretty cool right? I follow an american therapist on instagram (@heytiffanyroe) and (@bodyposipanda) and they talk about self love, self acceptance and intuitive eating - which I have just started learning about. Its the idea of allowing your body to tell you what it needs and not cutting out foods/restricting. I'd really recommend looking it up if you have time. I find that it helps me to surround myself on social media with accounts that are positive and help me feel good about my body. I have unfollowed all the dieting accounts now and people who made me feel like I should look a certain way. It really helps! 
x

Number 2 is Shaunie's post in 'Need to get this out (TW)' by kathleen0172

Shaunie said:
Hey @kathleen0172

I'm really sorry to read about this :(. Its understandable to feels like this. Death is obviously a massive thing and impacts everyone so is okay to feel upset and have these thoughts. I hope that maybe within time things feel less shocked for you and more able to make sense of how you feel and that your mum is okay and everyone else. Post on here as long as its helping 

hugs
x

Number 3 is Millie2728's post in 'Being discharged from MH services' by Shaunie

Millie2787 said:
Hey Shaunie I hope your feeling a tiny bit better today - just wanted to Pop in and show you this , saw it and thought of you 💜 Your Doing amazing buddy xx

Number 4 is jellyelephant's thread 'Looking to the future'

Jellyelephant said:
Hey guys

I hope this is the right place for this. Anyway I went to an offer holders open day on Wednesday at uni and it made me really excited for the future. It made everything seem so real for me and I can’t wait. I am going to be doing a degree in mental health nursing for those who don’t know and I am so proud of myself for using my experiences to care for others. I can’t wait for September to get started and be able to officially call myself a student nurse! Never thought I’d be able to get to this point but what it shows is that it’s never too late to follow your dreams and even if you take a different path, you can still end up at the right destination. I am 25 now and this will be my second degree, so it has taken me quite a while to get to where I want to be haha!

Does anyone else else have any future dreams? Doesn’t have to be career goals can be anything. Even if it seems impossible I’d love to hear :)

Number 5 is Laine's post in 'But who's meant to support us ?.' by Millie2787

Laine said:
Definitely sending loads of hugs Aimee! 💕

It can be a really tough thing to do especially juggling Carering with your own stuff but I think I speak for a lot of us when I say I'm amazed and proud of what you achieve everyday! We're all here behind you, and we'll all try our best to help as will other services x we're not getting fed up of you and you're definitely not attention seekin, everyone deserves to get support :)

Sending love and hugs 💕 Give yourself a huge pat on the back x

Number 6 is BubblesGoesBoo's post in 'Flashbacks TW' by casscub

BubblesGoesBoo said:

Sending hugs! im sorry you're going through this too :( 

Do you know what you're triggers are? its okay if you don't, I still don't, but I've been told that's normally the best way to cope with flashbacks, knowing you're triggers and avoiding them.

What helps me is knowing when a flashback is coming on, to do this I wrote down in a diary what happens before and during them, like what I feel, any sensations in my body and so fourth. if you can tell when a flashback is coming on it's easier to get out of. some things that help me when I find those sensations coming on is I always carry popping candy as a way of grounding myself, that's the best thing that works for me, it helps me focus on all my senses at once. something else that helps me is I think in my friends voice just repeating over and over again 'you are safe, you are not in your past, name 5 things you can see'. these are the main things that help me (that and focusing on my breathing but I normally forget that one lol) hope you find some use out of them too :)

as for your therapy, could you tell them as soon as you go into the session that you want to work on the traumas? therapy is about you and getting you better so it's important to get off your chest what you need to, they should listen to you <3 

Number 7 is MsBingo's post in 'This bubble' by NatalieMT

MsBingo said:
Hey @NatalieMT

I can really relate to the feeling of not wanting to let anyone in, especially if you've been hurt in the past. Its really hard because letting new people in can make your life better, but building the trust and confidence to do so is tricky.

It sounds like you're a great mum and really care about your daughter  <3

Number 8 is Valerietto's post in 'love and relationships - i am feeling very down as I love him by MathsLily

Valerialetto said:
Hello dear @MathsLily,

It is so nice that you share your concerns here and I can tell you that you're very brave to tell about your feelings, not everybody can do that. I understand your feelings, uncertainty always scares..

First of all I'd like to tell you a bit about age gap, I really believe it doesn't matter at all, moreover 11 yeas difference isn't that big and the older you'll be the less you notice it. But it's kind of important that both partners feel the same about it... cause if he feels strongly uncomfortable aboutit, it's doubtfully that you can change that. But again the main thing for you is how you feel and if you are okay with that it's okay!

I understand that you are scared because of uncertainties but look, you never know what other person thinks so it's useless to torture youself with thoughts about his possible thoughts (sorry for "thoughts" repetition  =)). You write " what if..." ...let me share with you one quote from the book I am reading now:

‘But what if ... ?’ ‘Don’t “what if”. I don’t know, you don’t know, none of us knows.

Do not "what if" it brings you nothing but sadness and more concerns. I understand easier to tell than to do but think of it, try to distract on some interesting activities and ....(here is quote again)

Things are as they are. What I can see, feel, hear and smell right now.

You love him, you text, you have a lot to discuss and a lot in common so...Enjoy it!
Catch this fantastic moment of being in love cause you never know what tomorrow brings you. You never know what happens when course finishes and in fact, I think, your man behaved really good towards you telling about his concerns. He accepts his worries as well as accepts his feelings , but he asks you to give him some time. So give him this time to think and take your time either to know him better if it's mutual wish.

As for now there is nothing to worry about, you worry just about possibility that smth bad happens. So in fact you worry about thing that isn't real ))

I hope I could support you at leat a bit, text me any time you want to talk  <3 

Number 9 is another post from jellyelephant's in 'I don't know what to do (possible TW)' by Millie2787

Jellyelephant said:
Hey lovely,

Sorry things are so tough for you right now, I hope things improve soon. It's so frustrating being in pain all the time and can leave you feeling very down. If the painkillers aren't helping have you considered going back to the doctors and talking to them about it? I know they like to start off with the OTC stuff but if it doesn't help and you are in a lot of pain they can prescribe you stronger medication to help you feel better. They also may be able to bring forward your scan appointment so that you can find the cause of the pain sooner.

You are being so strong, keeping on going despite the thoughts. Your nan would be so proud! It's ok to feel emotional coming up to the anniversary of her death, but make sure you practice self care and perhaps doing something to remember her would help? On the anniversary of my grandmas death I like to share stories about her, or listen to her favourite songs. It helps me keep her memory alive in my mind and feel connected to her. If you feel at risk to yourself remember there are services to support you, you can ring Beth or go to A&E, or you can contact services such as the mix crisis line, samaritans, childline, papyrus etc.

Keep fighting, we got your back <3 

Number 10 is Lucy307's post in 'small announcement' by kathleen0172

Lucy307 said:
To echo everything above, PLEASE don't feel like you have to hold back anything here - we're all here for you and care about you. These boards exist so we can share and learn from each other and you deserve to be here as much as everyone else :smile:<3

I will post part 2 shortly after this post goes out so keep an eye out for it and make sure you vote on this one and the other one,

love you all and keep posting

davcr0ck

Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 

Post for the month - April (Part 1 of 2) 8 votes

Jelly (about pressure and body image)
12% 1 vote
Shauine
0% 0 votes
Millie
12% 1 vote
Jelly (looking to the furture)
12% 1 vote
Laine (But who's meant to support us)
12% 1 vote
Bubbles
25% 2 votes
Bingo
0% 0 votes
Valerietto's
0% 0 votes
Jelly (I don't know what to do)
12% 1 vote
Lucy
12% 1 vote
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    edited May 2019
    All great posts :-)

(and "being discharged from MH services" is Shaunie's thread, not mine. Hahaha)
  • davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family

🤦‍♂️
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,039 Boards Guru

Good point! Thanks @kathleen0172 - that's corrected now. :)

Mike & the team
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.