Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Student loans

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    Especially Robbie - giving us shite music and then not paying tax.
    Omg! That is so greedy... didn't he just sign a 100,000,000 record deal (or was it a million?)?
  • Options
    Originally posted by ilovebusted
    Omg! That is so greedy... didn't he just sign a 100,000,000 record deal (or was it a million?)?

Probably....who cares?

He's not worth 10p in my opinion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by squat_tom
    :rolleyes: Listen up komrad. This issue has already been covered and what you are saying is simply not true. 'Fat cats' work hard for their money and deserve every penny that they get. They certainly do not deserve to be taxed heavily for a large proportion.
    Do you have any experience/evidence to contrary of what I've just said? As please try to do better than kevlar85's rather pathetic, "I worked in a bank answering phones. I was shocked to see that the workers were not chained to their desks! Where was the gulag that I had envisioned?"

Well there have been the dozens of cases well reported in the media within the last couple of years of CEOs awarding themselves pay rises of 20%, 30% or even 65%, as well as "performance" :rolleyes: bonuses when their company has returned losses. I'm not going to bother digging examples up. Do a few searches and you'll find plenty.

Never mind the pay rise or bonus, I'd say those people are not justifying the current wages they earn. They should take a pay cut or be made redundant. Considering that for every CEO made redundant 20 vital floor worker jobs can be saved, I'd say it's the only logical thing to do when things are looking grim. Funnily enough few CEOs seem to grasp this very simple and elementary economic principle.

Other examples of CEO irrelevance include the Tories' friends who were offered to buy British Rail's rolling stock and routes for pitiful amounts. Many of them managed the companies for a year, sacking many staff in the process in order to maximise dividends, then sold the companies after one year for a profit of 1,000% or more.

People like the above and their culture of personal greed are a cancer on this country's economic health.

If everybody paid as much tax as you demand, you'd simply up the tax rate. :rolleyes:
    No I wouldn't. I do recognise there is such a thing as too much tax, and that taxing everyone out of the country would be counter-productive. But we are nowhere near such levels. Some people are simply greedy bastards who would not want to pay any tax whatsoever, and talk of even miniscule rises that would have no effect on their wealth is enough to send them moaning and crying.
    Speaking of greed-consumed millionaires leaving the country to avoid high taxation, how come nobody has mentioned rock & pop stars? David Bowie moved to Switzerland to avoid the UK's high taxation. Robbie Williams has moved to the US to the same. Others use the loopholes that you talk about. How come it's alright for them? Is it because they are 'working class heroes'?
    :rolleyes:
    Well we were talking of businessmen not showbiz 'stars' but I am perfectly happy to point the finger at them and anyone else who set up company in tax havens or move out altogether in order to save themselves a few quid in taxes.