Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Student loans

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why should the state finance students in unis?

Should it be the role of the ordinary taxpayer to fund someone's individual choice to better themselves?

I don't believe it should. Universities should have no aid or funding from the state and all should pay for their university education.

Comments

• Options
    Yes the tax payers should, they pay for people on benefits so why no contribute for people who are actually going to provide something for society. The tax payer who is paying towards students are the ones who are going to benefit. Without student funding nobody would go to university except rich snobs which hardly covers the amount of doctors and teachers we need, does it? It may be bettering the students quality of life but they in turn will pay more amount of money in taxes which will benefits everyone.

I wish to go to University when I'm old enough. My parents don't earn much and there is no way they could afford to pay for me to go to University. So if the country was run in your way, I wouldn't be able to go. Then a richer person who may not be very bright can, and they might then not contribute as much as to society as they may pick a job which isn't directly for society.

So wouldn't that be a nice country to live in? eh?
  • Options
    A 'contribution' to society is not relevant. Plumbers contribute yet they don't have to attain a degree.
  • Options
    Doctors, Teachers, Vets, Architects, Politicians, Lawyers, Dentists etc NEED a degree.

Of course that is unless you can think of some kind of training which gives indepth education of all of these jobs without obtaining a degree.
  • Options
    They need a degree but that isn't the point.

I don't see any reason why the state should finance people's education, in this instance it's higher education.
  • Options
    Exactly, they need a degree.

If the state didn't fund it, then there would be less people that would go to University causing less people doing the jobs that we need in our country.
  • Options
    It is in the state's interest to educate people, an educated and skilled nation is a valuable thing to have.

Taxpayers money being spent on educating people, motivating people and thus improving society is surely a better thing than spending it on an unjust war?

If people were to individually fund their university education it would only further the group of elite in this country, thus widening the gap between rich and poor. Why should the amount of money you have determine your right to education?
  • Options
    Why should there be any 'right' to education??

You have the RIGHT to SEEK education, but not for it to be GRANTED to you...
  • Options
    Oh and another point... if you think that the state shouldn't pay for higher education and everyone should pay for themselves does that include evryone paying for themselves in primary/secondary education?
  • Options
    Re: Student loans
    Originally posted by monocrat
    all should pay for their university education.

How?
  • Options
    For those who can afford it, it will become a 'right' for them which is grossly unfair. Also yes everyone has the right to seek education, but not everyone has the financial means or other sufficient means to do so.

In a developed society like this, yes, education should be a right because it is vital to society.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ilovebusted
    Oh and another point... if you think that the state shouldn't pay for higher education and everyone should pay for themselves does that include evryone paying for themselves in primary/secondary education?

Yes.
  • Options
    Yes.

Seriously?

Why?
  • Options
    Yes.

That would work well. We'd live in a lovely society with only the people that would be educated were the people who could afford it. And the rest would not be able to read and write and clame off benefits. Then the people who were educated would be the only people who could pay for their children to be educated and it would be a viscous cycle. I somehow don't think that would work, do you?
  • Options
    That would work well. We'd live in a lovely society with only the people that would be educated were the people who could afford it. And the rest would not be able to read and write and clame off benefits. Then the people who were educated would be the only people who could pay for their children to be educated and it would be a viscous cycle. I somehow don't think that would work, do you?

It'd be fine though, we'd just raise taxes so all the illiterate people can have loads of benefits. Mono wouldn't mind that, I'm sure.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    It'd be fine though, we'd just raise taxes so all the illiterate people can have loads of benefits. Mono wouldn't mind that, I'm sure.

Oooh well in that case it seems like a great idea ;)
  • Options
    *coughs

student loans are exactly what it says on the tin - LOANS. students have to pay them back later on - so they are putting the money back into the pot AND contributing to society.
  • Options
    Do you have anything to add Monocrat?
  • Options
    Taxes aren't necessary either but that's not the issue here.

student loans are exactly what it says on the tin - LOANS. students have to pay them back later on - so they are putting the money back into the pot AND contributing to society.

Student loans are a better alternative to the government financing students' time in university.
  • Options
    As students grants no longer exist, I'd concede defeat on this one Mono.
  • Options
    Student loans are a better alternative to the government financing students' time in university.
    They are not better. But Student loans are better than nothing as they make it possible for the students from poorer backgrounds be able to study and pay back at a later when they have a secure job. But I don't see why someone should pay £10,000 just to have a better education. The grants where best and now they have been abolished I've heard 'I can't afford to go' so often and I think its unfair that since they've been abolished as capable students have to accept not having a better job. Everyone knows graduates usually are better payed than non graduates.
  • Options
    Originally posted by squat_tom

Some students from low-income families still get grants. Not much though. My ex applied for one last year.
  • Options
    Originally posted by squat_tom

Supposedly many people want grants back and feel that higher education should be free. I don't believe that it should, that's all.
  • Options
    Supposedly many people want grants back and feel that higher education should be free. I don't believe that it should, that's all.

the title of this thread quite clearly says "loans" not "grants" therefore you are arguing the issue of loans, which as I pointed out, get paid back.
  • Options
    But I don't see why someone should pay £10,000 just to have a better education. The grants where best and now they have been abolished I've heard 'I can't afford to go' so often and I think its unfair that since they've been abolished as capable students have to accept not having a better job.

So? What is wrong in that?
  • Options
    So? What is wrong in that?
    What is right about it? May I ask are you some kind of extremley rich person because you seem to have some kind of grudge towards people who don't have lot's of money.

I believe that we are all equal and we should all be entitled to the best education despite class, gender or race. By not helping poorer students it wouldn't have any kind of good affect on the country, so why exactly do you think it's a good thing?
  • Options
    Grants for Students should be seen not as an expense but a long term investment.

Someone with a good education is less likely to be unemployed

and more likely to get a good job and thus pay more money in taxes - you'll back the inital investment probably 10 or 20 times over in extra taxes revenue over the person's lifetime.

I think however if they are to bring back Grants it should be to steer people into areas where there is great need - for instance to help more people to train as Doctors and Nurses.

It should also be designed to weed out those that aren't serious about their education - the 1st year drop out rate is huge and when I was at uni so many students were there because their Mummyies wanted them to go to Uni, not because they really wanted to go there. back then we had grants and if they failed their first year and needed to repeat they'd get no grant - but if they switched courses then they'd get a grant - so many switched courses to keep the money rolling in.

I also see nothing wrong with grants in someways being linked to getting decent grades. It might encourage a few more slackers to apply themselves more.
  • Options
    What is right about it? May I ask are you some kind of extremley rich person because you seem to have some kind of grudge towards people who don't have lot's of money.

I'm not rich but I think the state should get out of education.

I believe that we are all equal and we should all be entitled to the best education despite class, gender or race. By not helping poorer students it wouldn't have any kind of good affect on the country, so why exactly do you think it's a good thing?

It would promote freedom.
  • Options
    I'm not rich but I think the state should get out of education.

It would promote freedom.

As has been pointed out to you many times we need the state in education for the sake of the country. How would it promote freedom by limiting people where they could get an education (if they could get one at all) on the basis of income?
  • Options
    In that case you could say.."Why should we pay taxes at all?"

Taxation is legalised theft.
  • Options
    Taxation is legalised theft.
    No it's not. If you had an accident at work and you were only young with little money saved, how would you expect to survive? You'd expect money off the state. Even if we didn't have to pay taxes what would you do? You'd have no money. Taxes HELP everyone :D