Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

death by fat ...

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by monocrat
    Looks are just as important as personality. To state that looks don't matter is just a politically correct thing to say.

No, I believe that personality is more important than looks. Of course everyone wants someone they are attracted to, but I think the ability to hold a decent conversation, interact well and a good sense of humour are traits that surpass looks.

As for tax on unhealthy foods, I doubt it would work. People would moan, but still buy it. I think healthy staple foods should be tax free so to encourage people to buy them.

Free exercise classes are a good idea too - although they are not that expensive now, only about £2-3. However most gyms are now stupidly expensive and full of people in tight lycra hoping to pull. :rolleyes:

I think education from a young age about healthy eating and exercise would be the way forward. More focus on children feeling good about themselves and being and feeling healthy - if people grow up respecting their bodies, they will form healthy lifestyles. I think physical education in schoosl needs more focus on health and less focus on competitiveness because I know that is what put me off sport and exercise.
  • Options
    Kev my problem is there's lot's of people, like I said, including myself who eat at McDonald's and are active and also eat low fat foods who are fine.

I was glad to see legislation introduced to limit liability regarding fast food restaurants. When are people responsible for their actions? Also, why should I pay for someone who can't control his/herself and is lazy or just doesn't like any games/etc. involving physical activity?
  • Options
    I don't really enjoy McDonald's food very much, but seeing as they're providing me with employment whilst I'm desperately trying to boost funds, I think they are a vital part of our society!

And I only know about our restaurant, but the food that actually goes out to the customers is always hygienic. Yeah, the kitchen staff mess about, chuck stuff around (e.g. gherkins), squirt tartare sauce all over other members of staff, etc, but the actual food served is fine. The story about the milkshake machine is just disgusting. :yuck:
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown
    Exactly.

Unfortunately looks will always be important and people will remain to be judged by them. It annoys me so much how more attractive people seem to have everything laid on a silver plate for them despite the fact they could be a complete arse-hole.

Jealous, huh? :D
  • Options
    Exactly.

Unfortunately looks will always be important and people will remain to be judged by them. It annoys me so much how more attractive people seem to have everything laid on a silver plate for them despite the fact they could be a complete arse-hole.
    Jealous, huh? :D

Case in point to back up Elysium. Elysium 1 - Mono Nil. :D
  • Options
    It's only people without looks who denounce the importance of looks.

Appearance in general is important. If one is scruffily dressed then it generally can denote how much self-esteem that person has. :)

Looks matter, but I agree it's not the be all and end all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    On anorexia, did anyone else see Diets From Hell on ITV on Tuesday? Urgh, I don't usually feel feint at TV programmes but when they showed these pictures of anorexic girls who were literally all skin and bones they'd got off pro-anorexia websites I felt physically sick.

I saw that programme, it made me sick too, to think that people can even think of promoting something so dangerous (in itself and to those who go to those sites)
  • Options
    No, I believe that personality is more important than looks. Of course everyone wants someone they are attracted to, but I think the ability to hold a decent conversation, interact well and a good sense of humour are traits that surpass looks.

As for tax on unhealthy foods, I doubt it would work. People would moan, but still buy it. I think healthy staple foods should be tax free so to encourage people to buy them.

Free exercise classes are a good idea too - although they are not that expensive now, only about £2-3. However most gyms are now stupidly expensive and full of people in tight lycra hoping to pull. :rolleyes:

I think education from a young age about healthy eating and exercise would be the way forward. More focus on children feeling good about themselves and being and feeling healthy - if people grow up respecting their bodies, they will form healthy lifestyles. I think physical education in schoosl needs more focus on health and less focus on competitiveness because I know that is what put me off sport and exercise.

All food is currently tax free so what I would do to encourage take up of healthy food is take the CAP subsidies from British farmers and give it to supermarkets to reduce the costs of their fruit and veg - not only does it make fruit and veg cheaper it encourages people to buy British produce!

I don't blame you for rolling your eyes - fancy trying to pull in lycra! :lol: The one material that makes everyone who wears it look awful, as well as encouraging sweat - urgh! How can people wear that stuff to the gym when a pair of trackie bottoms and t-shirt are so much more comfortable?

I totally agree with you on school sports! In junior school it wasn't so bad because if it was cold/wet/windy we climbing or something inside and it was always made clear it was just a bit of fun but I hated sports at senior school - cross country, followed by football and cricket. "Cross country is not a punishment" as our sports teacher used to say (as he sent one kid round the playing fields as a punishment!) If the weather was okay it wasn't that bad, I'd just walk at the back and after a while they don't bother chasing you and then you get back and they give you a time and look at me like I'm supposed to care! :lol: Football was the worst - you get all muddy, cold and dirty standing on some football pitch with teams so big that you couldn't even get involved that much anyway and all the good kids are treated like heroes. Stupid really. Cricket also was so boring, unless you were batting or bowling there was nothing for you to do! Yeah, they should stop competitive sport and do fun things for everyone that improves your health, because for every kid who does well and is in a team there are 10 who aren't.
  • Options

Appearance in general is important. If one is scruffily dressed then it generally can denote how much self-esteem that person has. :)

Looks matter, but I agree it's not the be all and end all.

But Mono who are you to say what "looks" are they're subjective - despite attempts by the media to convince us otherwise. Everyone is good looking to someone and its not just their physical appearance that constitutes a good look.

Who are you to say what scruffily dressed is? How do you know the person didn't spend ages trying to achieve that look? I don't think it denotes how much self esteem a person has - look at how miserable most people in suits look!

As I said before physical appearance is the packaging on the product - if you don't want the product you won't want it no matter how nicely presented it is.
  • Options
    But Mono who are you to say what "looks" are they're subjective - despite attempts by the media to convince us otherwise. Everyone is good looking to someone and its not just their physical appearance that constitutes a good look.

Of course looks are subjective. But that does not mean people cannot judge based on them?
    Who are you to say what scruffily dressed is? How do you know the person didn't spend ages trying to achieve that look? I don't think it denotes how much self esteem a person has - look at how miserable most people in suits look!

I don't think a person looks 'miserable' in a suit. And it DOES denote self-esteem.
  • Options
    Of course looks are subjective. But that does not mean people cannot judge based on them?

No but it doesn't mean they do judge on looks either. You wouldn't give Jordan a place on the board of British Airways just because of how she looked? Jobs are awarded on merit - so are relationships because attraction and lust can only go so far. Most judgements based on looks are purely short term - in the long term its personality that counts.
    I don't think a person looks 'miserable' in a suit. And it DOES denote self-esteem.

Okay so a banker in the City who has just been made redundant found out his wife has left him is going to be happy because he's wearing his pinstripe suit while the scruffy student who has just got all As in their A-levels and got the girl of their dreams and won the lottery is going to be miserable because he's wearing tatty old jeans and a faded t-shirt? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    No but it doesn't mean they do judge on looks either. You wouldn't give Jordan a place on the board of British Airways just because of how she looked? Jobs are awarded on merit - so are relationships because attraction and lust can only go so far. Most judgements based on looks are purely short term - in the long term its personality that counts.

So says the PC crowd.....

Okay so a banker in the ho has just been made redundant found out his wife has left him is going to be happy because he's wearing his pinstripe suit while the scruffy student who has just got all As in their A-levels and got the girl of their dreams and won the lottery is going to be miserable because he's wearing tatty old jeans and a faded t-shirt? :rolleyes: [/B]

People may think the 'boy' is bad for wearing scruffy clothes. Who is to say what opinions people may hold? People generally judge others on their clothing. It's natural.
  • Options
    So says the PC crowd.....
    Mono surely if merit and personality didn't count most company directors would be Page 3 model types? The fact that in reality most are old men with the odd spare tyre must prove that merit matters most. Also if your theory applied for relationships no-one would ever stay together because we'd all be looking for the most attractive person and people would get divorced if the husband went bald and the wife put on a few stone when in reality half of marriages last for life and those who do get divorced get divorced because they fall out of love with the personality of their partner or because of money troubles. Also why would people who judge others on their looks be singled out and called shallow if this was the norm?
    People may think the 'boy' is bad for wearing scruffy clothes. Who is to say what opinions people may hold? People generally judge others on their clothing. It's natural.
    Yes but you were saying it denotes self esteem of the person - now who would be happier in my example - the boy or the banker? Nice try to shift the argument though.
  • Options
    Mono surely if merit and personality didn't count most company directors would be Page 3 model types? The fact that in reality most are old men with the odd spare tyre must prove that merit matters most. Also if your theory applied for relationships no-one would ever stay together because we'd all be looking for the most attractive person and people would get divorced if the husband went bald and the wife put on a few stone when in reality half of marriages last for life and those who do get divorced get divorced because they fall out of love with the personality of their partner or because of money troubles. Also why would people who judge others on their looks be singled out and called shallow if this was the norm?

Some people would think it good to be shallow.
    Yes but you were saying it denotes self esteem of the person - now who would be happier in my example - the boy or the banker? Nice try to shift the argument though. [/B]

The banker could still have a good opinion of himself.
  • Options
    Some people would think it good to be shallow.
    Only other shallow people, most people wouldn't.

The banker could still have a good opinion of himself.
    Yeah because having your marriage collapse and being made redundant is such a picnic. :rolleyes: More likely he'd want to chuck himself off Hungerford Bridge and no clothes in the world would make him change his depression.
  • Options
    Only other shallow people, most people wouldn't.

I doubt it.
  • Options

I was waiting for you to say that, just knew you would. Or maybe it's that people without looks are less vain and egotistic and therefore realise too much importance is placed on looks. I never said I wasn't good-looking anyway...!

And clothes are not a precursor of self-esteem. It simply shows how much a person cares about clothes and appearance or alternatively what their profession requires them to wear.

Looks and appearance have been made important through companies and their advertising so people spend more.
  • Options
    I believe one's clothing IS an indication of their self-esteem.
  • Options
    I doubt it.

In the words of Loyd Grossman - "Whoooo would have a personality like this?"
    from dictionary.com
    lacking depth of intellect or knowledge; concerned only with what is obvious; "shallow people"; "his arguments seemed shallow and tedious"

Not intellectually deep; not profound; not penetrating deeply; simple; not wise or knowing; ignorant; superficial; as, a shallow mind; shallow learning.

Lacking depth of intellect, emotion, or knowledge: “This is a shallow parody of America” (Lloyd Rose).

Not many people I would have thought.
  • Options

Why? They are just peices of material.

Clothing is usually an indication of wealth....or vanity in today's society.
  • Options
    In the words of Loyd Grossman - "Whoooo would have a personality like this?"

Not many people I would have thought.

Well I know and see many people like that!! :lol:
  • Options

That is flawed in so many ways
    1) Clothing does not reflect your mood - see earlier example
    2) Income - a happy poor person might only be able to afford stuff from a charity shop while a depressed rich person can afford stuff from Paris and Milan.
    3) Materialism - suppose the person is buying themselves better clothing in a futile attempt to raise their self esteem.
  • Options
    Why the opposition? Have I touched a nerve?

I think clothing does denote aspects of a person. It's normal to judge others in terms of their appearance.
  • Options

I think clothing does denote aspects of a person. It's normal to judge others in terms of their appearance.

Yep. We're both really ugly and bitter. :rolleyes:

Clothing reveals aspects of some people, some people don't care about clothes.

First impressions may be judged from clothes, but seeing as most people look the same these days it's obvious clothes do not act as a precursor for people's personality and self-esteem.
  • Options
    Well I know and see many people like that!! :lol:

Takes one to know one as the saying goes. :p
  • Options

Ah don't try and change what you were saying - you were saying what a person wears reflects their self-esteem, which by the looks of it you now accept that as wrong.

The opposition is because you're saying such stupid things. You've not touched a nerve Mono, I wear all kinds of clothes - designer stuff, non-labelled stuff, new stuff, old stuff. As you can see... *clicks fingers* lights! *click* catwalk! *click* music! *click* action! ...today I am wearing my newish white T-shirt from Sainsbury's, twinned with some vintage 1980s Levi jeans my dad got out the loft with just a hint of my black CK boxers over the top of the jeans... who said this thread had got silly?! :cool:

Seriously though, of course people will make passing judgements of others because of their clothes but we're back to the packaging question - does the fact I'm wearing what I said above alter who I am? If I were to put on a Versace suit instead of these clothes I wear around the house would that change who I was? Of course not which shows the flaws in your reasoning.
  • Options
    Ah don't try and change what you were saying - you were saying what a person wears reflects their self-esteem, which by the looks of it you now accept that as wrong.

I don't hold to it as wrong. I stand by what I state. :)

The opposition is because you're saying such stupid things. You've not touched a nerve Mono, I wear all kinds of clothes - designer stuff, non-labelled stuff, new stuff, old stuff. As you can see... *clicks fingers* lights! *click* catwalk! *click* music! *click* action! ...today I am wearing my newish white T-shirt from Sainsbury's, twinned with some vintage 1980s Levi jeans my dad got out the loft with just a hint of my black CK boxers over the top of the jeans... who said this thread had got silly?! :cool:

Uh-huh...:rolleyes:

Seriously though, of course people will make passing judgements of others because of their clothes but we're back to the packaging question - does the fact I'm wearing what I said above alter who I am? If I were to put on a Versace suit instead of these clothes I wear around the house would that change who I was? Of course not which shows the flaws in your reasoning.

It would denote certain aspects of your character though.
  • Options
    I don't hold to it as wrong. I stand by what I state. :)
    Then why do you keep trying to alter the question.
    Uh-huh...:rolleyes:
    Oh.. go and develop a personality :p One with a sense of humour preferably. :p
    It would denote certain aspects of your character though.
    How can it when you wear so many different types of clothes?
  • Options
    first of all, why has no one mentioned that mcdonalds is a crap company that doesnt care about the environment, or the people that work for it??
    just visit www.mcspotlight.org and you'll know what i mean.

second of all, in my opinion no one can claim to judge people purely on their personality. what constitutes their personality? is it purely the words that come out of their mouth, is it their voice too, or the phrases they tend to use? is it their body language or the way they walk? is it the way they look at people when they talk or the way they laugh? in my opinion there isnt a clear line between looks and personality and no one can claim to disregard one or the other of them when passing judgement about people.

i think what attracts people to other people, as friends or more, or whatever, is a big mix of what they look like, what they're wearing, what they say, what their voice sounds like, what their interests are, their gesticulations, body language....just everything....

obviously appearances are important to lesser extents to some people than to other people but i dont think you can say 'i go for looks' or 'i go for personality', because the line between the two is very blurry.

i personally go for people romantically on the basis of their outlook on life, their appearances (faces/bodies/clothes), the way they carry themselves (walk, posture etc), their passions, their voices, their body language.........

it's a vibe thing!

does anyone get what i mean?