Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

death by fat ...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Don't worry, it's a well known fact that teenagers don't have a very advanced sense of taste (in more ways than one).

In 12 years time you will look back and truly despair about what you used to eat (and drink, and listen to, and watch in the multiplex) when you were younger.

Very true.

Maybe in 12 years time Mcdonalds will merely be a faded memory...

*wishful thinking*
  • Options
    when you were younger.

Now t-h-a-t-'-s well put. Don't mind that at all. It's the "youngster" word that gets my goat...if I had one.:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Now t-h-a-t-'-s well put. Don't mind that at all. It's the "youngster" word that gets my goat...if I had one.:p

PNJ - you pig for eating that whole tub of Haagen Daaz! The nearest I ever came to that was buying a tub of Baskin Robbin's mint ice cream for some friends when we were doing a project on Shakespeare which they barely touched - it took me and my family a week to get through it.

At least you're not as bad as your jock friends - they bulk up today on protein but when they get a job and stop all that regular exercise it'll all turn to fat.

When you have a full time job and a family will you still be exercising as much as you do now? I doubt it and that is when all your past sins (such as the Haagen Daaz) will come and haunt you....

Elysium - I agree our society's attitude to food is so messed up, there was this woman who had such a bad case of anorexia she lost the use of her stomach and now has to eat these frozen pots of nutrients which looked like cow pats and she said tasted just as bad. The pictures were just horrible, there were girls whose rib cages looked like the bones of a turkey. At the other extreme you had a guy who was so fat the fire brigade had to cut him out of his window to get him to hospital for life saving treatment.

I don't eat at McDonald's any more since our local branch was shut down because the male staff.. how can I put this politely... brought a whole new meaning to the phrase taking pleasure in your work with the milkshake dispenser. PNJ - take note!
  • Options
    will come and haunt you....

Booo:shocking:

Trying to scare an innocent child.:flirt:

Not with getting fat. But about having a wife and job. :yuck:
  • Options
    Booo:shocking:

Trying to scare an innocent child.:flirt:

Not with getting fat. But about having a wife and job. :yuck:

what a shock:rolleyes: Bah grow up
  • Options
    Originally posted by ElysiumUnknown

Monocrat - maybe you should change that statement to unhealthy women are the most aesthetically unpleasing? Unless you like the anorexic look.

I don't like the look of anorexic people but I also dislike the 'look' of fat mamas.

I can't understand how a person can find rolls of flab attractive.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat

I can't understand how a person can find rolls of flab attractive.

They probably go for whats inside which is what a lot more people should do.
  • Options
    Looks are just as important as personality. :)
  • Options

Ok have you got the looks? cos your personality does not show here, apart from showing me you are quite ignorant and can sometimes speak totally out of hand.

Yeah lots of people would like to have the perfect look but at the end of the day whats the use in having looks if the person is a boring, ignorant so and so?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Ok have you got the looks? cos your personality does not show here, apart from showing me you are quite ignorant and can sometimes speak totally out of hand.

My personality does show. Does yours? To me you seem air-headed. Not what I call a good personality!!!!

Yeah lots of people would like to have the perfect look but at the end of the day whats the use in having looks if the person is a boring, ignorant so and so?

I'm not boring, neither am I ignorant. You simply don't understand where I am coming from.
  • Options
    My personality does show.

Yeah it does :rolleyes:

I didnt say you were boring, In the latter piece of my post I said
    If you check my post it was a new paragraph, I never mentioned you in that part :rolleyes:
  • Options
    My personality does show. Does yours? To me you seem air-headed. Not what I call a good personality!!!!

Becky is hardly airheaded, her posts are always interesting (and longer than one line) and she always comes across as kind hearted, bubbly and loyal. Whereas if your posts are anything to go by you have all the personality of a cardboard cut out!

I'm not boring, neither am I ignorant. You simply don't understand where I am coming from.

I can't comment on boring as your posts aren't long enough to make any kind of deduction on that front but your posts are ignorant, you seem to lack any kind of knowledge of the real world outside your political theory textbooks. However, at least now we know you're patronising - if people can't understand where you're coming from it's up to you to make your posts clear to most people and not just look like you're chatting BS.
  • Options
    Again you cite 'political theory textbooks'. Why should you rebuke someone for wanting to improve themselves? :lol:
  • Options
    If you think that textbooks are the way to self-improvement then you are setting yourself up for major disappointments, monocrat.

It's a starting point, but practical knowledge is of greater value. Unless you think that a junior doctor is as competant as a Consultant (for example)?

Worth also noting that your textbooks don't help you argue your points very well...
  • Options
    Again you cite 'political theory textbooks'. Why should you rebuke someone for wanting to improve themselves? :lol:

:lol: Love the way you lifted what squat_tom said to me last time I accused you of typing like a textbook. Is that what you do for your other posts too?

Besides which last time we discussed this you said you didn't read textbooks, although I hope this means you've taken my advice and started to actually gain some knowledge if so then good on you but if not, which I think is the case, we'll never see your posting quality improve - and I don't think we have seen your post quality improving showing you haven't improved your debating style.

PS. I noticed how you totally ignored all my other points in that posts, is that because you couldn't answer them? :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    If you think that textbooks are the way to self-improvement then you are setting yourself up for major disappointments, monocrat.

Who said anythin g about self improvement.
    It's a starting point, but practical knowledge is of greater value. Unless you think that a junior doctor is as competant as a Consultant (for example)?

Practical knowledge of what? That I know more of politics than you?
    Worth also noting that your textbooks don't help you argue your points very well... [/B]

This textbooks thing started because I probably argued points which went over the heads of some people here, or which were perceived as being too offensive. :)
  • Options
    Who said anythin g about self improvement.

Er... you?

"Why should you rebuke someone for wanting to improve themselves?"

Unless you think that I was talking you personally...?
    Practical knowledge of what? That I know more of politics than you?

This textbooks thing started because I probably argued points which went over the heads of some people here, or which were perceived as being too offensive. :)

Huh?

This could be that you make no sense. Like here.

I was talking about how textbooks don't necessarily improve a person. What has this got to do with you personally?
  • Options

I disagree. Personality is far more important than looks. I believe personality can make a person attractive or unattractive.

Appearing human always helps.
  • Options
    Okay people there seems to be a clear problem developing throughout a number of threads. Please be aware that you should not make insulting comments about other users.

People seem to be finding themselves dragged into slanging matches that look bad for everyone, everyone is just going through the same points (the same personal points)

Take a step back, remember the point of the thread and address the debate rather than speculate about other users.
  • Options
    I disagree. Personality is far more important than looks. I believe personality can make a person attractive or unattractive.

Appearing human always helps.

Hear hear, personality is what makes you unique - anyone can have plastic surgery and have their boobs made bigger, their nose made straighter, their fat sucked away or whatever the thing that will remain with all people is their unique personality.

Would you buy a car without checking the engine just because it had a nice paint job? Don't forget that the best diamond rings come in a boring, plain old leather covered box.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kevlar85
    Hear hear, personality is what makes you unique - anyone can have plastic surgery and have their boobs made bigger, their nose made straighter, their fat sucked away or whatever the thing that will remain with all people is their unique personality.

Would you buy a car without checking the engine just because it had a nice paint job? Don't forget that the best diamond rings come in a boring, plain old leather covered box.

Exactly.

Unfortunately looks will always be important and people will remain to be judged by them. It annoys me so much how more attractive people seem to have everything laid on a silver plate for them despite the fact they could be a complete arse-hole.
  • Options
    Exactly.

Unfortunately looks will always be important and people will remain to be judged by them. It annoys me so much how more attractive people seem to have everything laid on a silver plate for them despite the fact they could be a complete arse-hole.

Looks are like the packaging of the product - if the product's crap the best packaging in the world won't help them, yet the best product in the world can come in boring packaging and it will still sell. So it is with looks and personalities, look at the number of failed relationships in the showbiz sector with their "beautiful people" and why supermodels can never get dates.

In fact the better looking someone is the more likely it is they'll be an arsehole, because whereas plainer people develop their personalities to make themselves attractive, beautiful people don't and are used to getting everything they want because of their looks - hence they usually have huge egos.

If you have good looks, they fade with age - if you have a good personality it's with you for life.
  • Options
    It was on t.v. that better-looking people get promoted more at work. Heavy-set people were judged to be lazy and undisciplined...before they were even hired!:rolleyes:
  • Options

Looks are just as important as personality. To state that looks don't matter is just a politically correct thing to say.
  • Options
    Looks are just as important as personality. To state that looks don't matter is just a politically correct thing to say.

No-one said looks don't matter all that was said was that they are not as important as personality. If you meet someone and like their looks but dislike their personality you won't be likely to hang around however if you meet someone who you don't especially find attractive but like their personality then you'll stay because they can hold a good conversation with you. No-one would pretend that looks aren't a factor in whether you like someone but looks only get you to go over to that person, their personality determines whether you'll stay there.
  • Options
    Looks are just as important as personality.

In your opinion, dont class everyone the same.

Id rather have decent banter, have a few laughs with an ugly barsteward (like me hubby) who has a personality than be married to a gorgeous, muscly boring hunk :D
  • Options
    In your opinion, dont class everyone the same.

I never do. :)

Id rather have decent banter, have a few laughs with an ugly barsteward (like me hubby) who has a personality than be married to a gorgeous, muscly boring hunk :D

Good for you... :)
  • Options

Id rather ... than be married to a gorgeous, muscly boring hunk :D
    there go my chances with BB!
  • Options
    Back to the original idea of the thread...does anyone here think a tax should be put on high fat foods with the monies going towards paying for future heart etc. operations? Or preventative programs like free nutritional seminars/classes on the local level or free/cheaper health club membership?
  • Options
    Back to the original idea of the thread...does anyone here think a tax should be put on high fat foods with the monies going towards paying for future heart etc. operations? Or preventative programs like free nutritional seminars/classes on the local level or free/cheaper health club membership?

There was a Labour Party proposal to put such a tax into the next election manifesto but even if VAT was put on to such goods the impact would be minimal - take a £2.99 Big Mac meal at McDonalds with 17.5% VAT it would cost £3.51; a 40p Dairy Milk would become a 47p Dairy Milk. They are price increases but is an extra 50p on a Big Mac meal and an extra 7p on a Dairy Milk enough to put people off? I don't think so and if we did make these foods cost enough to put people off we'd then have a problem with it adding to inflation.

I think these problems come from when you're little and most parents force little kids to eat fruit and veg "cos it's good for you." which then puts the youngster off the fruit and veg because they see it as a punishment because they didn't like it. I think we should do what they're doing in Wales and provide free fruit to primary school kids at break, I remember when I was at nursery and they'd bring round all different kinds of fruit chopped up on a plate for us and it always looked so nice and brightly coloured and really encouraged us to like fruit. Also most people in this country don't do enough exercise so I think that we should make leisure centres totally free to the public and pay for it by increasing council tax.