Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What Do You Do Whilst Driving?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Or just a lucky one so far?!
    Like I said above, you don't know how I drive. People who do know how I drive would much prefer to get in the car with me than all of my mates. Why? because I can drive.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    Only ever crashed my car twice, guess what both times pissed out of my head. Never come close to crashing when on the phone and I've done that a lot more times than I have drove drunk.

I've crashed my car while pissed. Last year I went round a corner, lost control went up the bank, hit a tree, roled over and landed on my roof on a blind corner. Thankfully the people with me wern't hurt and they helped me flip the car back over and push it off the road. I managed to blaged the copper that arrived not to brethalise me.

Two days later a two mates of mine crashed into the telegraph pole outside my house. The pissed driver suffered a broken arm, the passenger suffered a brocken neck and died right in front of group of us. The driver is now looking at three years inside.

Under a month later another mate of mine crashed on the A36 (pissed up), a lorry driver got out to help him, but before he could a landrover ploughd into the lorry driver and then into my mate. My mate died and the lorry driver will never walk properly again.

You say I learned the hard way - I learend the easy way mate. I may have lost a couple of mates, but I have my life and my freedom - I was lucky. What way do you want to learn - do you want to get banged up, or perhaps you'd like to learn the way my other mates did, through dying?

:rolleyes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    *edit - in response to Lick's post*

But that still doesn't account for other people's driving.

All it takes is for some crap driver and you to not be paying attention for a split-second and you die.
  • Options
    Like I said above, you don't know how I drive. People who do know how I drive would much prefer to get in the car with me than all of my mates. Why? because I can drive.

I know what you have told us, which is enough for me. You obviously couldn't give a shit, i just hope that when something happens, its not someone else you hurt!!!
  • Options
    You say that but you don't know how I drive. Out of everyone I know who drives everyone says I am an excellent driver and they've had first hand experience so whatever you say I KNOW i'm a good driver. My driving now is a lot more careful than it was 3 years ago and it will carry on being as I get older and more wiser. AND learn from my own mistakes.

You mean you mates are even more reckless than you. You are a good driver depite drink driving and crashing your motor twice, and despite the fact you like to roll joints and get stoned while driving?

...you got a screw loose mate!

Yes you may learn from your mistakes, but you might also kill someone or even yourself through these mistakes. Your way of thinking is flawed
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    I've crashed my car while pissed. Last year I went round a corner, lost control went up the bank, hit a tree, roled over and landed on my roof on a blind corner. Thankfully the people with me wern't hurt and they helped me flip the car back over and push it off the road. I managed to blaged the copper that arrived not to brethalise me.

Two days later a two mates of mine crashed into the telegraph pole outside my house. The pissed driver suffered a broken arm, the passenger suffered a brocken neck and died right in front of group of us. The driver is now looking at three years inside.

Under a month later another mate of mine crashed on the A36 (pissed up), a lorry driver got out to help him, but before he could a landrover ploughd into the lorry driver and then into my mate. My mate died and the lorry driver will never walk properly again.

You say I learned the hard way - I learend the easy way mate. I may have lost a couple of mates, but I have my life and my freedom - I was lucky. What way do you want to learn - do you want to get banged up, or perhaps you'd like to learn the way my other mates did, through dying?

:rolleyes:
    Had to just skim this really quickly cos it's my home time now.
    And your having a go at me??:rolleyes:
    You say learnt the easy way, I say that's the hard way. I'm learning and I'll carry on learning. It has taken this happeneing in your life to make you see sense and if before, someone had told you what your telling me you wouldn't have taken a blind bit of notice. You would have carried on racing about etc.. until this happened anyway.
    Home time, I'll log in tomorrow.
  • Options
    I was just hoping you could be smarter than me and my mates and therefoire avoid killing youself or anyone else

...nothing wrong in that!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I was just hoping you could be smarter than me and my mates and therefoire avoid killing youself or anyone else

...nothing wrong in that!

wise words
  • Options
    Only ever crashed my car twice, guess what both times pissed out of my head.
    People learn from there own mistakes (like you have) and so will I.

Hmm. After how long though, being as you didn't stop drink driving until you'd crashed the car twice?

Do you have to have two crashes whilst texting to stop doing that?
  • Options
    It's careless shits like some people in this thread that make me worry about my family every time they leave the house.

We are all doomed.
  • Options
    You might call me careless but every single one of my friends has had an accident whilst driving apart from me.

It only takes a split second to change channel on the radio and you can have an accident, are we saying cars shouldn't be fitted with radios, casset players, cd players etc?

To look in mirrors takes a split second and according to driving instructors these days you're meant to look in your mirrors as much as you look forward.

I never look at my phone whilst I text...ask people who've received texts from me whilst I'm driving they rarely make that much sense until you work out what other words are on predictive text. (Oh AndyW don't come all high and mighty I've had texts off you whilst you've been driving)

Most of the time I use my hands free kit when I'm talking on my phone, it's only the odd occasion where I won't and I'll never not do in towns or built up areas. But then in those areas I rarely do anything because there are too many hazards around.

I drive to suit the conditions around me and if they are safe to do other things I will do. yeah it's easier if you have a passenger in, they send the texts etc etc but don't try telling me I aint a good driver because I do things like that, you haven't seen me drive so you don't know.

I admit at present I aint friving well but I also aint doing anything else at the mo, but thats a few things playing on my mind about work and the likes and my concentration is there not on my driving.

But that just goes to show that it don't matter whether your doing anything or not, life circumstances, the day you've had and so on and so forth are all causes of bad driving as well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kazbo
    they send the texts etc etc but don't try telling me I aint a good driver because I do things like that, you haven't seen me drive so you don't know.

I don't need to see you drive. You have a stupid level of overconfidence in your ability to do other things that you should not be doing whilst driving. This makes you a bad driver.
  • Options

But that just goes to show that it don't matter whether your doing anything or not, life circumstances, the day you've had and so on and so forth are all causes of bad driving as well.

but the point is why add to the list of things that can impare your driving when theres enough there to distract you already
  • Options
    Originally posted by octopus of doom
    but the point is why add to the list of things that can impare your driving when theres enough there to distract you already

But as far as I'm concerned what I do doesn't impair my driving. the only times I drive badly are when I'm feeling ill or if I've got things on my mind or I@m tired. Why when I can send a text without taking my eyes off the road, talk on my phone without taking my eyes of the road (unlike when ya have passengers in your car it's a natural reaction to glance over at them we're taught as babies about eye contact in convo's) should it be impairing my driving?
  • Options
    But as far as I'm concerned what I do doesn't impair my driving.

Exactly. But it does.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Exactly. But it does.

No it doesn't, not more than talking to a passenger does, thinking about whats going to happen when you get wherever you're going, or whats just happened does.

Everyone thinks about other things and drives, all I'm doing when texting is thinking about a conversation, it doesn't take my eye's or my concentration from the road.
  • Options
    No it doesn't, not more than talking to a passenger does, thinking about whats going to happen when you get wherever you're going, or whats just happened does.

Everyone thinks about other things and drives, all I'm doing when texting is thinking about a conversation, it doesn't take my eye's or my concentration from the road.

Yes. As I'm trying to tell you, the fact that you believe this to be true is what makes you a bad driver. Clearly if you are texting you can not be concentrating on what is happening around you as much as if you were not texting. Otherwise "how to text and drive" would be a part of the national driving test.
  • Options
    Yes. As I'm trying to tell you, the fact that you believe this to be true is what makes you a bad driver. Clearly if you are texting you can not be concentrating on what is happening around you as much as if you were not texting. Otherwise "how to text and drive" would be a part of the national driving test.

Yes but the thing is textiung doesn't take any more concentration than changing the fan settings in my car or the radio station it's set to, altering cassette thats in so on and so forth. In fact it's better cos I still keep both hands on the wheel when I'm texting.
  • Options
    Yes but the thing is textiung doesn't take any more concentration than changing the fan settings in my car or the radio station it's set to, altering cassette thats in so on and so forth. In fact it's better cos I still keep both hands on the wheel when I'm texting.

Justify it whatever way you like, but you are wrong.

I however have no wish to argue it ad infinitum, so I wont say any more on it.
  • Options
    Justify it whatever way you like, but you are wrong.

I however have no wish to argue it ad infinitum, so I wont say any more on it.

in other words you can't argue with that fact mist.

:wave: thats me outta here.
  • Options

No, in other words some people will have to learn the hard way. I hope you get caught, points and fined. Can you deny that you need to look at you phone when you choosing the name on your phonebook!

You argument only covers you txting ...what about make up I suppose you can do that without looking ...and 'looking' in the gove box. :rolleyes:

You are wrong.

At the end of the day the shear fact that you over confident in your ability, and ignorant to the fact that your in control of something very lethal make you dumb!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
  • Options

:wave: thats me outta here.

Oh for fuck's sake. I say I don't want to argue it and you assume that that mean's you are correct.

Well, carry on thinking like that then for all I care, I just hope that we never share the same road and that you don't injure anyone else when you crash.
  • Options
    My personal view is that drinking, eating, smoking....
    But as far as I'm concerned what I do doesn't impair my driving....

Well as long as you 'think' your safe that's alright! :rolleyes:

It's been proven that even using hands free is seriously destracting. There is nothing more distracting than trying to commuincate with someone else while concentrating on something. Especially when you've got the mobile in your hand Kazbo.

Have you ever tried to to have a conversation while reading a book? or listening to the radio and watching TV?

No becasuie these are activities that require your full attention if you're going to do them properly - and driving is something that NEEDs to be doen properly for the health and safety of both yourself and more importantly others.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well as long as you 'think' your safe that's alright! :rolleyes:

It's been proven that even using hands free is seriously destracting. There is nothing more distracting than trying to commuincate with someone else while concentrating on something. Especially when you've got the mobile in your hand Kazbo.

Have you ever tried to to have a conversation while reading a book? or listening to the radio and watching TV?

No becasuie these are activities that require your full attention if you're going to do them properly - and driving is something that NEEDs to be doen properly for the health and safety of both yourself and more importantly others.

Er yeah I have done them and had no troubles ta. :) Driving talking on a mobile is only as distracting as talking to a passenger, that aint banned so sod off banning mobiles is all I say.
  • Options
    Er yeah I have done them and had no troubles ta. :) Driving talking on a mobile is only as distracting as talking to a passenger, that aint banned so sod off banning mobiles is all I say.

sorry i don't agree with that. your passenger can see the hazards that are coming up on the road and can let you concentrate when you need to. someone on the other end of the phone can't see these things.

also, i bring up my point again of how do you justify an accident not being your fault if you were texting someone at the time?

it's just not worth it. end of story.
  • Options
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    sorry i don't agree with that. your passenger can see the hazards that are coming up on the road and can let you concentrate when you need to. someone on the other end of the phone can't see these things..

Very true, a few months ago my Aunt was a passenger in my car and she saw a car shoot out from the left before I did - she yelled out and we narrowly missed smashing into it.

I wasn't in deep conversation with her or anything - we were talking in brief spurts but only because we were looking for her friend's house who she had't seen in 11 years.

At least when talking to someone next to you - you have an extra pair of eyes on the road and they can look in all directions at any time unlike the driver who would obviously be looking straight ahead most of the time.

Perhaps when people pass their test they should be shown video and photos from car crashes to try and get into their heads that they are now licenced to take control the greatest killer of people in their 20's - a car!

In 2001:

there were 313,046 casualties on road in Great Britain
    3,443 people were killed
    37,094 were seriously injured
    272,509 were slightly injured
    there were 228,825 road accidents involving personal injury. Of these, 34,749 involved
    death or serious injury.

there were 218 child fatalities.

the number of children killed or seriously injured in 2001 was 4,986.
    (figures supplied by The National Statistics Office)
  • Options
    i tap
  • Options

So why is it that most of the cars that have nearly smashed into me have had drivers who were yacking on their phones? Pure coincidence maybe but i think mobiles do distract drivers.

I just have my radio on as i'm an average driver and need to concentrate on what i'm doing. I think nowadays drivers just forget caution, everyone's either in a hurry or they have this deep rooted need to prove they can drive properly at high speeds.