Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What Do You Do Whilst Driving?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Skive ..Well said

Indeed. :yes:
  • Options
    White NoiseWhite Noise Posts: 624 Incredible Poster
    i like driving in my car, which incidentaly, is not quite a jaguar :D My main bain is fucking cd's. i always have trouble finding the one i want so a bought a holder jobby, which means i have to turn every damn page before i find the one i want intead.

i also smoke when driving, but it helps on long jurneys. having the window down and making you aware of not getting ash over you does seem to wake you up, and being awake is a good idea when driving :D
  • Options
    Got to admit I'm a multi-tasker.
    I smoke, eat, text and talk on my phone. Roll cigs when I'm smoking baccy and have made quite a few joints whilst driving. I can however drive with my knees very well and whilst doing the other stuff I am still concentrating on the road, using my hands for whatever and steering with my knees.
    I know some might say it is stupid but I feel totally in control driving with my knees (I've practiced it for 3yrs) and am fully aware of everything around me. If I see a hazard I put my phone, big mac, drink in between my legs and grap the wheel with my hands. The cigs and joints I roll are on my knee anyway so I'm only taking my eyes off the road for a second at a time (which is exactly what you do when you look in your rear view mirror).
  • Options
    I listen to music and talk to passengers (when I have any :D ). I text sometimes but only at the lights and I usually have handsfree when talking on the phone while driving.
  • Options
    supposing you are doing something else at the wheel like texting, drinking, rolling a fag whatever, and somone else bumps into you. How can you justifiably prove to the insurance company that it wasn't your fault if you were not fully concentrating on the road???

and if you happened to be on the phone and a kid ran in front of you, how would you ever be able to forgive yourself? fair enough, it might well have happened anyway, but would you really want to spend the rest of your life thinking what if?
  • Options
    I know what you are saying KoolCat and understand totally. Like you said if a kid runs out you would probably knock them down anyway but if it was proved you was doing something else you are getting sent down for causing death by driving without due care and attention and yes you would get fucked.
    I also would be gutted for the kid and even more so for his family but this kind of thing doesn't cross my mind whilst doing things whilst driving. I feel totally in control and therefore in my eyes I'm safe and from what people say who have been in my car with me over the past 3 and half years they all feel totally safe aswell.
    I haven't even really got an argument to back up why I do these things while driving, I just do them.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I do smoke whilst driving but that's it - though truthfully that's not that good an idea. If I've got passenger I will drink if they're holding between sips. I don't think having anything between your legs is wise at all - and texting, skinning up, making a rolly is madness.

You say that you are fully aware while making a joint, how can you be? ...if you take your eyes off the road you are not fully aware, it's that SIMPLE. Can you make a rolly or a joint or txt with your're eyes closed ...no! You have to look at it (even if it for a brief moment). All it takes is that split second for something to run out, your tyre to blow out, the car to brake suddenly in front etc ...and then your fucked, or even worse someone else is fucked becasue of your mistake

Some of you people are mad!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    I know what you are saying KoolCat and understand totally. Like you said if a kid runs out you would probably knock them down anyway but if it was proved you was doing something else you are getting sent down for causing death by driving without due care and attention and yes you would get fucked.
    I also would be gutted for the kid and even more so for his family but this kind of thing doesn't cross my mind whilst doing things whilst driving. I feel totally in control and therefore in my eyes I'm safe and from what people say who have been in my car with me over the past 3 and half years they all feel totally safe aswell.
    I haven't even really got an argument to back up why I do these things while driving, I just do them.

well then for gods sake use your brain and stop before you hurt someone!
  • Options

That's cos there isn't an argument. I used to all that shit and think I was gods gift to driving, but the road scares me properly nowadays, and that's how it should be. IT'S DANGEROUS. I've known several people locally to get run over and killed, two of my mates dies last year in accidents, and five years ago I almost dies when some stupid bitch wasn't paying attention and pulled out in front of my motorbike! :mad:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    You say that you are fully aware while making a joint, how can you be? ...if you take your eyes off the road you are not fully aware, it's that SIMPLE. Can you make a rolly or a joint or txt with your're eyes closed ...no! You have to look at it (even if it for a brief moment). All it takes is that split second for something to run out, your tyre to blow out, the car to brake suddenly in front etc ...and then your fucked, or even worse someone else is fucked becasue of your mistake

Some of you people are mad!
    How do you look in your wing mirrors? split second ... BANG your into the back of someone.
    Rear view mirror? split second .. . .BANG your into the back of someone.
    Looking at your mate holding the drink so you can take it off him to have a sip? split second ...... BANG your into the back of someone.
    Looking at the roundabout as you approach it? split second ..... BANG your into the back of someone.

I'm not condoning my actions but your eyes are taken off the road for split seconds all the time for you to drive correctly.
  • Options
    How do you look in your wing mirrors? split second ... BANG your into the back of someone.
    Rear view mirror? split second .. . .BANG your into the back of someone.
    Looking at your mate holding the drink so you can take it off him to have a sip? split second ...... BANG your into the back of someone.
    Looking at the roundabout as you approach it? split second ..... BANG your into the back of someone.

I'm not condoning my actions but your eyes are taken off the road for split seconds all the time for you to drive correctly.

so dont make it worse by adding unnessessary distractions
  • Options
    I used to all that shit and think I was gods gift to driving, but the road scares me properly nowadays, and that's how it should be. IT'S DANGEROUS. I've known several people locally to get run over and killed, two of my mates dies last year in accidents, and five years ago I almost dies when some stupid bitch wasn't paying attention and pulled out in front of my motorbike! :mad:
    Like you said you used to do it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by octopus of doom

Driving correctly doesn't involve skinning up or txting people, it does involve checking your mirrors.

If I've got passenger I will talk to them but, I wont look at them. If I want a drink they place it in my hand, and I can keep my eyes where they should be!

You shouldn't be smoking puff behind the wheel anyway. If your in an accident you'll be fucked over by the police, and smokign puff decreases you reaction time as it is!

Exactly.

At the end of the day skinning up, doing you make up, txting, looking for things in you glove box are all pretty stupid and unnessessary.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    My personal view is that drinking, eating, smoking and even talking on the phone is not a distraction what so ever. I drive exactly the same whilst doing these which is very aware.
    I do agree, texting, making joints etc. is a lot harder to do and these are the things I need to stop doing. It is not like I do these things daily and are only 1-offs (which doesn't make it right, i know). I have been known to pull over and text and to make joints. or if I've got a passenger (most of the time) they will do it for me.
  • Options
    My personal view is that drinking, eating, smoking and even talking on the phone is not a distraction what so ever.

your "personal oppinion" differs from every scientific study thats ever been done on the subject.

in fact talking on the phone is more dangerous than drink driving.

what makes you any different?
  • Options
    Like you said you used to do it.

Yeah and I was also stupid!

Just trying to teach someone else that before they end up splitting soemones heart open - like that stupid bitch did to me! :mad:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Driving correctly doesn't involve skinning up or txting people, it does involve checking your mirrors.
    I know, and with checking your mirrors that is the split second you was saying was so crucial before.
    If I've got passenger I will talk to them but, I wont look at them. If I want a drink they place it in my hand, and I can keep my eyes where they should be!
    Sorry but this is bullshit. I know you put your hand out and it can be placed but I know from experience you have a quick glance see if your holding it correctly (so you don't spill it or whatever) before you actually take it off them.
    You shouldn't be smoking puff behind the wheel anyway. If your in an accident you'll be fucked over by the police, and smokign puff decreases you reaction time as it is!
    Fucked over by the police??? Don't know about where you live but they haven't the devices where I live to prove that I'm stoned and I certainly ain't gonna tell them. Decreases reaction time yes. When I'm straight headed I get occassional giddy spells where I drive like a nobhead, when I'm stoned it's speed limit all the way, so I think I'm a more carful driver after a joint (just mine and a lot of my mates opinions).
  • Options
    My personal view is that drinking, eating, smoking and even talking on the phone is not a distraction what so ever. I drive exactly the same whilst doing these which is very aware

How can you do it exactly the same. When doing to things at once you have to allocate a certain amoutn of thinking to both tasks. When one of those tasks is potentially very dangerous would it not be safer to put all you thinking and concentration into that? A car is a fucking dangerous bit of machinery, it's a ton of fucking metal, constantly being passed by other huge amounts of metal, travelling at speeds that kill!!!!

Wakey Wakey! :eek2:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    your "personal oppinion" differs from every scientific study thats ever been done on the subject.

in fact talking on the phone is more dangerous than drink driving.

what makes you any different?
    I'm not different, I'm saying it doesn't effect MY driving.
    Talking on the phone more dangerous than drink driving???? Don't care what any scientific study says, that is bullshit. Only ever crashed my car twice, guess what both times pissed out of my head. Never come close to crashing when on the phone and I've done that a lot more times than I have drove drunk.
  • Options
    Yeah and I was also stupid!

Just trying to teach someone else that before they end up splitting soemones heart open - like that stupid bitch did to me! :mad:
    Which is fair enough and I appreciate what you are telling me and like I said before skinning up, texting is dangerous and now I'll think twice before I do it. People learn from there own mistakes (like you have) and so will I.
  • Options
    Talking on the phone more dangerous than drink driving???? Don't care what any scientific study says, that is bullshit. Only ever crashed my car twice, guess what both times pissed out of my head. Never come close to crashing when on the phone and I've done that a lot more times than I have drove drunk.

Drink drivers are the lowest off scum in my opinion, you are just proving what a careless driver you really are. Why haven't you been banned yet?!
  • Options
    Fucked over by the police??? Don't know about where you live but they haven't the devices where I live to prove that I'm stoned and I certainly ain't gonna tell them.

If you're in a serious accident and they find puff in your car you fucked. If you or soemone else is hurt then you insurance aint going to pay a penny. Then this someone else might sue you or you might get banged up.

Decreases reaction time yes. When I'm straight headed I get occassional giddy spells where I drive like a nobhead, when I'm stoned it's speed limit all the way, so I think I'm a more carful driver after a joint (just mine and a lot of my mates opinions).

Drink or drug driving is stupid mate. There is no argument for driving under the influence. That fact that you drive worse when you not stoned is a shit argument. :lol: You should be driving better when straight.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Drink drivers are the lowest off scum in my opinion, you are just proving what a careless driver you really are. Why haven't you been banned yet?!
    I agree, I don't do it anymore. I split up with my long term girlfriend went through a really bad 9 months of straight drinking and seemed to be with my car all the time. I don't like it and I don't do it anymore.
    Got caught once and got away with the charge, when I realised it wasn't worth it. No-one was ever hurt by my actions so I'd say I was lucky.
  • Options

in which case you are saying that your different. which i assure you your not.

it terrifies me to think there are people like you on the road when i go out, it doesnt matter how safe i drive i could drive at 10 miles below the speed limit at all times, sitting up straight both hands on the wheel at all times not devoting a single brain cell to anything other than careful driving and i could still die horrifically because you were stoned munching and chatting bollocks on the phone whilst "driving carefully"

if your not going to give driving the respect it deserves, dont get behind the wheel. full stop.
  • Options
    normally it doesn't bother me how other people live their lives cos it's their life and it's got nothing to do with me. but some of the comments on this thread have really got me riled cos when your driving, it's not just your business how you do things - it affects everyone else on the road as well.

i mean put yourself in the other person's shoes. if you were a pedestrian and (heaven forbid) a driver knocked you over and later on it turned out they had been doing something else while driving or driving under the influence, you'd quite rightly be extremely angry and wanting justice. and that's presuming the accident wasn't too serious.
  • Options
    If you're in a serious accident and they find puff in your car you fucked. If you or soemone else is hurt then you insurance aint going to pay a penny. Then this someone else might sue you or you might get banged up.

Drink or drug driving is stupid mate. There is no argument for driving under the influence. That fact that you drive worse when you not stoned is a shit argument. :lol: You should be driving better when straight.
    Drive faster when I'm straight headed. It takes energy to drive fast, something I don't have when stoned.
    All I can say is that I've had 2 stupid accidents (when pissed) that cost me a LOT of money to fix my car. I've learnt from that. Other than that I've never had an accident and so I am a safe driver.
  • Options
    Other than that I've never had an accident

YET
  • Options
    it terrifies me to think there are people like you on the road when i go out

Yeah...it is scary as fuck that people give it so little respect.
  • Options
    so I am a safe driver.

Or just a lucky one so far?!
  • Options
    YET
    You say that but you don't know how I drive. Out of everyone I know who drives everyone says I am an excellent driver and they've had first hand experience so whatever you say I KNOW i'm a good driver. My driving now is a lot more careful than it was 3 years ago and it will carry on being as I get older and more wiser. AND learn from my own mistakes.