Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What Do You Do Whilst Driving?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How many people drive and do something else as well like smoke a fag, chat on the mobile, Eat a Meal, Read a Map?

It always amazes me what people do at the same time as driving.

My aunt has a friend in Australia who's son died a few years back after he lost control of his car, they say at the time he was busy chatting to someone on the phone and not concentrating on the road. Thing how bad the person he was chatting to must feel.

A few years ago I was on constant call for a company to provide telephone support even on weekends. I have a car with a 6 speed gear box and 6th gear and reverse are in the same position except you need to pull up a tiny lever on the gear stick to going into reverse - anyway I was driving up the M1 Motorway and the phone started ringing and at the same time I was shifting up from 5th to 6th except I wasn't concentrating on what I was doing cos of the phonecall and pulled the little lever at the same time - almost sent my car into reverse at 70 mph!! Made an arwful grinding noise!!

Since then if the phone rings in my car whilst I'm driving, I'll just let it ring, won't even bother to look to see who it is!!

Comments

• Options
    I'm usually eating or drinking something or messing around with the radio/ce player. I used my mobile once but nearly crashed so don't use my phone now.
  • Options
    I drive the fucking car.
  • Options
    Nope, I concentrate on the road. Might have radio on, too, or I might chat to the passengers, but I concentrate.
  • Options
    Sing along to the radio, or talk to passengers, but i have a habit of just stopping in mid sentence when something crops up like an aukward or a something, and then just carrrying on the conversation as if nothing happend...

Must be fun for the passenger!
  • Options
    Originally posted by faerielights
    Sing along to the radio, or talk to passengers, but i have a habit of just stopping in mid sentence when something crops up like an aukward or a something, and then just carrrying on the conversation as if nothing happend...

Must be fun for the passenger!

hehe my mum does that :D
  • Options
    I only talk on my phone if I'm using my handsfree kit, otherwise I ignore it.
    Apart from that I listen to music, thats about it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by faerielights
    but i have a habit of just stopping in mid sentence when something crops up like an aukward or a something, and then just carrrying on the conversation as if nothing happend...

I do that! I stop talking cos I have to concentrate on directions, or whatever then carry on chatting away again! lol :rolleyes:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i get angry when people are on their phone while driving. its how accidents happen. i was in a mini bus going on a trip with some nursery children the other day and the driver was on his phone and had to swerve to miss something in the road cos he didnt see it in time cos he wasnt concentrating on the road.
  • Options
    I roll down the road at somewhere close to the speed limit, avoiding other objects.
  • Options
    when i had first passed my test and was in a car on my own for the first time i was so scared of taking my hands off the steering wheel, i didn't even want to change gears!
  • Options
    sometimes i talk, sometimes i sing, sometimes i eat, sometimes i sleep, sometimes i daydream, sometimes i get lost, but most often i sing real loud
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    sometimes i sleep

surely that's not a good idea :no:
  • Options
    I'll do anything when driving. Normal being drinking, texting, chatting on phone, doing me make-up, fiddling with radio, getting tapes out of glove compartment etc etc. Won't mention what happens if my fellas in the car.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kazbo
    I'll do anything when driving. Normal being drinking, texting, chatting on phone, doing me make-up, fiddling with radio, getting tapes out of glove compartment etc etc. Won't mention what happens if my fellas in the car.

I'd just like to say how absolutely stupid it is to be texting and doing your make up whilst you're supposed to be driving. I just bet you're one of the kind of people that drive down the middle lane of the motorway swearving about at 65 whilst you're doing that nonsense.

Geez. Talk about fining people for using mobiles they should be banned.
  • Options
    i can drive but not legally yet , i listen to music and eat food :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by lazybstard
    i can drive but not legally yet

Wtf? Stay off the fucking roads then.
  • Options
    I listen to music, sing, and sometimes on the lights I look at a book if I have one. And talk if I have a passenger. I never talk on the mobile while driving. They've banned it here for a good reason. =X And if I got caught it'd be a 5000 ISK fine anyway.. too expensive for poor me. =P
  • Options
    I concentrate on whats going on around me & where i am going! Like everyone whos on the roads should!
  • Options
    i do smoke while driving but i dont think that impares me at all and i do sing along loudly to the radio but i dont talk on the phone ive scared myself more than once by doing that and losing concentration so i dont anymore... probably different if i had a hands free kit cause i dont have a problem talking to passengers.

other than that i just concentrate.

getting a new car on wednesday... excitement, woohoo, unfortunately its no better than my old one though...... sigh.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    I'd just like to say how absolutely stupid it is to be texting and doing your make up whilst you're supposed to be driving. I just bet you're one of the kind of people that drive down the middle lane of the motorway swearving about at 65 whilst you're doing that nonsense.

Geez. Talk about fining people for using mobiles they should be banned.

Nop you're wrong there. I am careful whilst I'm doing it. My phone fits nicely in my steering wheel and I never take my eye's off the road. Make-up is generally at lights so no worries there.

Middle lane of motorways....hmm whats that? Don't think I quite no that concept and 65? Hmm....nop again.

But hey I've always been one of the most aware drivers I know and it doesn't change if I'm doing anything. I go out with my friends driving and I fear my life. They come out with me and most say I'm the best driver out of us all. Never had an accident since I've passed mty test so don't come to me that I@m a danger on the roads.

Oh and mist sorry you just caught me in a bad mood here!
  • Options
    What absolute crap. I just hope you're the only person that gets injured in your inevitable accident. Ho-hum.
  • Options
    I do not drive, sadly.

But on the radio today they were talking about what you should be fined for while driving. They done a top ten thingy and number 1 was picking your nose. :/
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    What absolute crap. I just hope you're the only person that gets injured in your inevitable accident. Ho-hum.

No accident will happen I can assure you of that. Not that's my fault anyways. I always know whats around me and whats happening on the roads. If I can do other things as well as be completely aware I see nowt wrong in multi tasking.
  • Options
    No accident will happen I can assure you of that. Not that's my fault anyways. I always know whats around me and whats happening on the roads. If I can do other things as well as be completely aware I see nowt wrong in multi tasking.

famous last words...
  • Options

Yes. and that's the problem right there.
  • Options
    i'm going to admit it here, i am a horrible driver. i run into firehydrants for shits sake! :p i rarely pay attention cuz i'm talking to the passenger. i come very close to hitting other cars nearly every time i drive. sometimes i get very close to curbs or parked cars and i drive to fast. children never catch my eye and neither do most stop signs. there, hows that. i already know that i am going to die in a car crash. but my only excuse is that people in this town are shitty drivers and shitty human beings in general and if i accidently kill one on the way it wouldn't be a big loss;) :p;) be glad i'm not in your country :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    i'm going to admit it here, i am a horrible driver. i run into firehydrants for shits sake! :p i rarely pay attention cuz i'm talking to the passenger. i come very close to hitting other cars nearly every time i drive. sometimes i get very close to curbs or parked cars and i drive to fast. children never catch my eye and neither do most stop signs. there, hows that. i already know that i am going to die in a car crash. but my only excuse is that people in this town are shitty drivers and shitty human beings in general and if i accidently kill one on the way it wouldn't be a big loss;) :p;) be glad i'm not in your country :D

:eek2:

Hmm Perhaps you should just get other people to drive
  • Options
    I'll never do anything else while I'm driving, it's simply too dangerous and very inconsiderate towards other people's safety.

I know that I could do as I know I'm a very good & safe driver but it's not worth taking the risk, there are too many crap drivers on the roads and it's so easy for an accident to happen while driving.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Whlst driving I love to listen to the stereo, and pick my nose! :D
    Nop you're wrong there. I am careful whilst I'm doing it. My phone fits nicely in my steering wheel and I never take my eye's off the road. Make-up is generally at lights so no worries there.

Middle lane of motorways....hmm whats that? Don't think I quite no that concept and 65? Hmm....nop again.

But hey I've always been one of the most aware drivers I know and it doesn't change if I'm doing anything. I go out with my friends driving and I fear my life. They come out with me and most say I'm the best driver out of us all. Never had an accident since I've passed mty test so don't come to me that I@m a danger on the roads.

What a load of bollocks!

You must have been driving what? ...all of three years? (at the most)

It always amazes me how people always think that they're the best drivers in the world - especially those who havn't been drving that long. I was the same ...but after loseing two mates in two seperate car crashes in under a month, you realise that whilst driving you need to be as safe as you can - not just for your benifit, but for others aswell.

Do you not think there are enough deaths and crashes on the road already? Don't you think it's worth putting all your concentration and awareness into driving just incase? That split second you'd gain from putting all you efforts into concentrating could save your life - or someone elses! At the end of the day if your sat behind the wheel - you in control of a lethal machine and it deserves all the concentration you have!

I hear it all the time - I've never had a crash, I don't speed, I'm the best driver in the world. :rolleyes:

Just becasue you've hadn't had a crash in the last 3 years, doesn't mean you never will. It's like saying 'I never broken my arm - so that's mean I never will'

Cars are very little more than big biscuit tins, especially when you talking speeds over 40mph. To cars both sticking to the 40 limit crash head on - that's like hitting solid concrete wall at 80mph - you are going to be fucked!!

Even if you a fucking demon driver - there's still a whole coutry full of other shit drivers. It's like when people get in my car, don't wear a seatbelt and say to me 'don't worry I trust your driving' - well fair play, but that doesn't mean some other wankers not going to plough into me!

Is texting really worth takign that risk - is it fuck! ...sort it out ...if you carry on doing this 'multi tasking' crap your being stupid and damn right selfish!

I hope you get points and fined, before you kill anyone!

:rolleyes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive ..Well said ...I hate it when people don't take driving seriously .. I've actually seen someone knocked over before - it happend just around the corner from my home.

I'd just got off the bus and was walking home and heard the sound of screaching tyres, the car driver had seen someone in the middle of the road but the car couldn't stop in time.

I saw the car hit the person and saw him get flipped in the air, people rushed from all the houses to help.

He must have broke both his legs at the very least.

When I travel abroad I see so many accidents - in Africa espacially, I've seen dead bodies on a bus that crashed and seen how poorly some people even look after their cars.

I've seen someone I know drive around on a tyre that they knew had a slow leak in it and instead of replacing it or fixing it they simply would stop every so often at a petrol station to fill it up with more air.

The most dangerous drivers on the road are the ones that think they know it all. Anyone that things they are such a good driver should do an advanced driving course and then they'll know for sure how good they are.