Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Options for Iraq

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Alessandro

I tend to agree with you, but I've read a couple of papers that suggest otherwise (oddly for the same logistical reason).

The main points, if I remember correctly were:

Hitler postponed the invasion of the USSR three times. If he had not done this, it is likely that the Germans would have taken Moscow (they did take part of the outskirts anyway beofre the cold and fresh reinforcements from Siberia drove them out)

If the Germans had taken Moscow, the Soviet Union would have had a tough time coordinating supplies and troop movements because Moscow effectively served as the only hub for the rain lines throughout the country. They definately would have had a much tougher time getting supplies to Leningrad and Stalingrad.

The other point they made was that Hitler stupidly tried to take Moscow, Leningrad, and Stalingrad all at the same time. If he had taken Moscow first, and then Stalingrad, he would have had access to the oil fields he needed. And then the Soviets would have a serious shortage of fuel.

If the germans had had the foresight to give their soldiers WINTER clothing I believe they culd have won. Russia was almost gone when Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad were attacked, ror one if the 6th army had been better supplied then they would have taken Stalingrad easily - complete air superiority could not be exploited because of this and if the german soldiers around Leningrad/Moscow had not started freezing to death their morale may have been a bit higher and subsequent fighting ability increased.
  • Options
    Using the history of Hitler as a means to predict the future dosn't work. They are very different people, in religion, nationality upbringing and education - Hitler was a meglomaniac, surely Sadam having WMDs as do many other nations dosn't qualify him for this label? He has demonstrated them on his own people, but Hitler never attacked his own; different plans. Not that Sadam's plan is any more acceptable, but this case maybe should prompt a different response than declaring war.

greenfields.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    I'd say that Hitler didn't attack because he wasn't ready for his own reasons.
    You're thinking that Saddam Hussein will be 'ready' to attack America at some point in the future, if Bush doesn't stop him now?

Why would Saddam want to do that?
  • Options
    As for Saddam, who knows? Maybe reading a history of Nebachaneezer will give a clue.
    Have you read Nebachaneezer, or are you still clueless?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    You're thinking that Saddam Hussein will be 'ready' to attack America at some point in the future, if Bush doesn't stop him now?

Why would Saddam want to do that?

Why did Hitler want to attack the USSR?

You continue to attempt to use reason to come up with motivations for a madman.

I've read a number of accounts of Nebachaneezer, but I'm not Hussein, I don't pretend to guess how he will react to the world or to his belief in his destiny.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenfields
    Hitler was a meglomaniac, surely Sadam having WMDs as do many other nations dosn't qualify him for this label? He has demonstrated them on his own people, but Hitler never attacked his own; different plans. Not that Sadam's plan is any more acceptable, but this case maybe should prompt a different response than declaring war.

greenfields.

Saddam has qualified as a maniac by both his actions and psychological analysis. The same as Hitler.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Simbelyne

If the germans had had the foresight to give their soldiers WINTER clothing I believe they culd have won. Russia was almost gone when Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad were attacked, ror one if the 6th army had been better supplied then they would have taken Stalingrad easily - complete air superiority could not be exploited because of this and if the german soldiers around Leningrad/Moscow had not started freezing to death their morale may have been a bit higher and subsequent fighting ability increased.

Why do I get into these discussions with amatuers?

Take Moscow, Stalingrad and Leningrad and you haven't conquered Russia, never mind the Soviet Union. How long could those forces have stayed there? How long could they have held in the face of manpower from the East? All such victories do is make the war longer and bloodier.
  • Options

Why do I get into these discussions with amatuers?

Take Moscow, Stalingrad and Leningrad and you haven't conquered Russia, never mind the Soviet Union. How long could those forces have stayed there? How long could they have held in the face of manpower from the East? All such victories do is make the war longer and bloodier.

I think the implication is that Stalin would have to negotiate for peace with Hitler, even if only temporary. Yes, a lot of population was east of the Urals, but most of the manufacturing wasn't (until he moved it there). All the men in the world wouldn't do much good without equipment.

Probably a moot point anyway because Hitler probably couldn't have overcome the manufacturing capability of the US anyway.
  • Options

And you think that military action against the Iraqi people is the way to deal with a madman? Although the Saudis, Syrians, Jordanians and other arabs in the region disagree? What has Saddam done to earn his pschological profile? Gone to war with Iran, with the blessing of America, as well as tactical aid? Seized Kuwait, with a wink from Glaspie? Developed the poor man's atom bomb without a hint of censure from Rumsfeld and co., and used it against the Iranians and the Kurds (who, if asked, would deny that they are 'Saddam's people')? Modelled his regime on Tito's, a move which seems to have worked out pretty well for him so far.

People just don't regard Saddam as unstable. Ruthless, yes. Unstable, no. What they do regard as unstable is Iraq and the surrounding regions, after Bush has installed his own government of choice in Baghdad. There's madness in Dubya's method.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Alessandro

I think the implication is that Stalin would have to negotiate for peace with Hitler, even if only temporary.

Stalemate, as I suggested before. The best possibility that Hitler could have achieved...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    And you think that military action against the Iraqi people is the way to deal with a madman?

Against the Iraqi people? No. Against the Iraqi military? Yes.

And do you have a solution?
  • Options
    Impossible to seperate the two don't you think, however much our leaders whine..........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Impossible to seperate the two don't you think, however much our leaders whine..........

No. A little research into the Persian Gulf War will illustrate how possible it is.
  • Options
    LOL> Indeed, The civilians will be the ones practically starving from the indefinite sanctions, Without electricity or running water because we bombed and shelled their local infrastructure back to the stone age the first time round, and suffering from grievous birth defects from the DU shells we used to do it with.

The military will be the ones either annihilated in their fox holes or attempting to surrender. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    LOL> Indeed, The civilians will be the ones practically starving from the indefinite sanctions, Without electricity or running water because we bombed and shelled their local infrastructure back to the stone age the first time round, and suffering from grievous birth defects from the DU shells we used to do it with.

The military will be the ones either annihilated in their fox holes or attempting to surrender. :rolleyes:

Ah, yes, Clandestine. Once again illustrating your "great knowledge" with your ignorance.

The PGW didn't produce the sanctions. Saddam Hussein did. And continues to do so. Isn't it strange that everyone claims there is no proof that he has WMD, but he won't bother to insure that is proven so sanctions can be lifted?

Iraq wasn't exactly an advanced nation regardless, now was it? And how much of that infrastructure had any civilian purpose? Do you know? Or do you just continue with your sarcastic bullshit?

As for DU, might do a little research. Depleted Uranium is actually less radioactive than natural occuring uranium (of which there is a good chance you have a significant amount in your front yard). DU is heavy, really heavy, so it doesn't get windblown. So exactly how did DU become an issue in birth defects hundreds of kilometers from where it was used? Ever wonder if Sarin Gas was more likely to be a culprit?
  • Options
    I suggest you go do some research as to the state of Iraqi society pre PWG. It was indeed extensively developed, more so than many of its neighbours in all areas.

As for infrastructure, we had and still have a habit of bombing power, water, and transport infrastructure, all of which are indeed pertinent to the civil society.

Before labelling anyone ignorant check your own claims Greenie (oft made without any supporting reference whatsoever).
  • Options
    Of course Saddam doesn't want sanctions lifted. They reinforce his power be keeping his people immiserated.

Uranium in my front garden? :confused:
  • Options
    I suggest you go do some research as to the state of Iraqi society pre PWG. It was indeed extensively developed, more so than many of its neighbours in all areas.

As for infrastructure, we had and still have a habit of bombing power, water, and transport infrastructure, all of which are indeed pertinent to the civil society.

Before labelling anyone ignorant check your own claims Greenie (oft made without any supporting reference whatsoever).

None of the neighbors are what might be considered massively developed nations, Clandestine. Considering the tribal lifestyle is still very heavily practiced throughout the region, that really shouldn't be any surprise.

Power? How necessary is it to a mixture of nomad and agricultural society (the bulk of Iraq)?

Water? Funny thing. We didn't bomb wells, and those are what the majority of the rural population rely on for their water supply. Iraq is one of those countries where the bulk of the urban population can quickly return to the rural environment and live adequately.

Transport? We destroyed mostly military vehicles, and armed vehicles attempting to leave Kuwait. What do you suggest we did to transport? Cratered roads?

I've already put references up on DU, Clandestine. You obviously ignored them.

Yes, Toadborg, Uranium in your front yard. Not a big deal. Common uranium is a fairly common element. Everything is radioactive. Not just Uranium and Plutonium.
  • Options
    Oh, I thought you meant it was use to build something common.........

I should have payaed more attention in my physics classes........:rolleyes:
  • Options

I've read a number of accounts of Nebachaneezer, but I'm not Hussein, I don't pretend to guess how he will react to the world or to his belief in his destiny.

Greenhat, your continual tendency to answer questions with questions shows that you (as people have pointed out) fail to use actual factual evidence to support your view. The fact your justifying declaring war with, "Hitler did this, so Sadam might" is absurd. Do you seriously think the governments of USA and Britain would use this as their sole reason to fund this conflict? - Time for you to see the bigger picture and stop arguing the validity of the fabricated government cause.

greenfields.
  • Options
    A brief survey of the state of Iraq pre-PWG:

http://i-cias.com/e.o/baghdad.htm

Transport referring predominantly to bridges and roads...

Interesting and inciteful analysis of the level of destruction from the PWG...

http://www.thebulletin.org/issues/1991/s91/s91lopez.html

excerpt:
    The bombing of highways and bridges. Among the early major targets were bridges and highways leading south of Baghdad and Basra and from other Iraqi cities toward the Iranian and Jordanian borders. Some of the heaviest civilian casualties appeared to be among those taking these routes to flee the bombing of Baghdad. American spokesmen claimed that they had reason to believe that Saddam Hussein was moving Scud missiles and possibly chemical and biological weapons in civilian trucks and buses, and that the roads and bridges were being used to resupply units in Kuwait. Many claimed that fiber-optic materials important to communication were also strung across bridges.

on DU shells:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1118590.stm

numerous links to DU case issues:

http://www.iacenter.org/depleted/du.htm

from the Gulf War veterans own site:

http://www.gulfweb.org/doc_show.cfm?ID=771

From all ive been able to read on the matter, the argument typically advanced by the Pentagon to play down the associated long term damage caused in both Iraq and Bosnia from our use of DU shells ignores the element of, albeit, low lever radioctive particles into the air (which can travel considerable distances depending on prevailing winds and other meteorological conditions. These particles can easily penetrate the skin and lungs into the blood stream leading to increased cancer and birth defects.

http://www.llrc.org/du/dupage.htm

And from an independent investigative analysis of areas where DU shells were known to have been fired...

http://www.llrc.org/rat/subrat/rat422.htm

That should give those with any inclination enough to read for a while. It would be nice Greenie, as pointed out before, if you would substantiate your rebuttals with more than your personal opinion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenfields

Greenhat, your continual tendency to answer questions with questions shows that you (as people have pointed out) fail to use actual factual evidence to support your view. The fact your justifying declaring war with, "Hitler did this, so Sadam might" is absurd. Do you seriously think the governments of USA and Britain would use this as their sole reason to fund this conflict? - Time for you to see the bigger picture and stop arguing the validity of the fabricated government cause.

greenfields.

I see. So you believe that you do have the ability to predict what a madman will do. Well, we should just step aside and let you run the world with your crystal ball. :rolleyes:

Btw, Clandestine, I already posted links to the Red Cross, the UN, the EC, NATO, DoD and independent physicists about DU. Now maybe you consider your "sources" more valid than actual scientific study. I don't.

http://www.studentsforwar.org/hitler2.htm
  • Options
    LOL. Much of what I posted was Scientifically referenced analysis. You are indeed blinkered if you claim otherwise.

And "students for war"??? As a legitimate source of comparative analysis??? Come now Greenie, what happened to your arguments that no rational person wants war??? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Your students for war obviously need more education in comparative political analyses... LOL.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/23/1045935272620.html

http://hnn.us/comments/8408.html

Not too difficult to find some more intellectually credible and substantive anlysis into the all too oft simplifications of the WWII analogy propoganda.

I would have thought you Greenie, of all people, would expect something more substantive and insightful than the rubbish you linked us to above. Go figure, eh?
  • Options
    LOL. Much of what I posted was Scientifically referenced analysis. You are indeed blinkered if you claim otherwise.

Guess you don't understand the empirical method, do you?
  • Options
    Hey you guys add this one up: Saddam is worth over $2-billion. Now if I was in the mood for a fight...and I always am...I'd point out some short-site-people were harping about sanctions taking food from poor Iraqis.

How much food could you buy with $2-billion? Just asking.:p
  • Options
    okay think about that a moment pnj. What is the population of Iraq?

Answer: 23,331,985 (July 2001 est.) given a population growth rate of almost 3%/yr that might make the current pop somewhere closer to 24 million give or take a few hundred thousand allowing for death rates.

Now lets presume for sake of argument that roughly 5% are outside the sphere of deprivation given the sanctions. That leaves close to 23 million at risk.

Now how far does 2 billion Dollars go to providing food, adequate housing, medicine, hospital care, etc. for so many?

Now again for sake of argument let us say that only half that number are in perilous circumstances, that leaves roghly 11 million.

We still have under 200 dollars per person. Even in the middle East that amount wont provide sustained relief for those who are infirm or in need of ongoing medical treatment and continued nourishment.

Essentially the sanctions have only hurt the civilians which our politicians are so quick to use as the sentimental banner for their warmongering. Saddam or no Saddam, these santions should be removed for the sake of the people if our leaders' magnanimity is to be credible.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet

How much food could you buy with $2-billion? Just asking.:p

Well, lets, see. $10 for 50 kilograms of rice...

So, how about 10 billion kilograms of rice.

:D
  • Options
    And where is all the chicken tikka to come from? :p
  • Options
    Surely that would be prohibited, they might extract the precursor for ricin from such stocks! :D