Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Options for Iraq

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes I do realise that, I simply find it two-faced that our leaders talk in emotive language about 'terrible' and 'horrific' weaponry which they possess and are willing to use.

I know that they would only use in retaliation but that is not a justification in itself.....

Basically I think they are trying to emphasise the moral 'badness' of Iraq with this argument when they don't nedd to and frankly it detracts from more sensible arguments as do the other lies and attempots to make the Al-Qaida link, they discredit the proper arguments........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    The difference is the circumstances in which we are prepared to use them.
    Yes, Saddam was prepared to use them while engaged in a war with Iran, with America's blessing.

You can kind of see how people could get the impression that the US administration, then and now, lacks a consistent approach.
  • Options
    @ Toadborg. Just because the US and UK are willing to use these weapons under extreme circumstances doesn't mean that they don't recognise that they are "horrific" and "terrible".

I think that may be why we don't use them routinely, don't you? ;)

But it's only when both sides recognise this that they are an effective deterrence. A the while one side is happy to use them...

@ Joe. You missed out the attack on Iraqi civillians, not just Iran. And yes, I know that it doesn't distract from US silence at the time.
  • Options
    [B@ Joe. You missed out the attack on Iraqi civillians, not just Iran. And yes, I know that it doesn't distract from US silence at the time. [/B]
    Damn. I usually do refer to the Kurdish deaths. 'Collateral damage' has a long and dishonourable history, also.
  • Options
    @ Toadborg. Just because the US and UK are willing to use these weapons under extreme circumstances doesn't mean that they don't recognise that they are "horrific" and "terrible".
    I wouldn't call the Vietnam War extreme circumstances would you?

Unless of course 'extreme circumstances' mean whenever the US is losing a conflict. ;)

And there is generally overlooked issue of fuel-air bombs, as powerful as so-called 'battlefield nukes', that the US was happily dropping in Afghanistan while the media went into a wankfest about the "awesome power" of such devices.
  • Options
    [B

[/B]
    Unlike Saddam?

I still don't buy that he will use them if he had them in circumstances any less extreme than the ones we would use them in.
  • Options
    Tony Blair gave a speech to the Labor Party where he also talked about it being the right thing to do because of the tortures etc. That's what I don't see come up. And the tortures are never mentioned by the peace movement. So how much do the people in the peace movement really care about the people of Iraq?

Iraq had the chance to comply. Even now, all they have to do is show the world where they destroyed the weapons. Meantime, some are supposedly in Syria with one son. Whatever. This is going to end quickly and many countries will be involved in building a new Iraq because of the new oil deals that will be made. France is sending their carrier to the region now.
  • Options
    Tony Blair gave a speech to the Labor Party where he also talked about it being the right thing to do because of the tortures etc. That's what I don't see come up. And the tortures are never mentioned by the peace movement. So how much do the people in the peace movement really care about the people of Iraq?

Well I do not support torture. Israel also tortures its population all the time and so does Turkey which is a member of NATO. Seeing how both of those countries are supported by the US and UK I honestly did not believe either had a problem with torture.
  • Options
    Heydrich, it's illegal to torture anyone in the US...even an enemy's captured soldiers. That's why some Al Qaeda that were captured were sent to Egypt for questioning.

After 911, I don't care what they had to do to get information from Al Qaeda to prevent another attack.
  • Options
    Have you read peoples post, no-one said the US tortured people but that it is allied with regimes that do thus any condemantion of torture in Iraq is two-faced.........
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Heydrich, it's illegal to torture anyone in the US...even an enemy's captured soldiers. That's why some Al Qaeda that were captured were sent to Egypt for questioning.
    Surely they don't torture people in EgypT? WHY DOESN'T SOMEBODY DOOOO SOMETHING??? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Nah Joe, Egypt probably sent them to Saudi to be tortured. Its okay to do it there since we're allowed to use their bases to attack from.

Interesting to see the rhetoric from the Bush camp after any Iraqi invasion when it is likely Saudi and other arab nations will ask the US to remove all military personnel and equipment from their soil permanently.
  • Options

@ Joe. You missed out the attack on Iraqi civillians, not just Iran. And yes, I know that it doesn't distract from US silence at the time.

He also missed out on the use during the Gulf War.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

I wouldn't call the Vietnam War extreme circumstances would you?

Unless of course 'extreme circumstances' mean whenever the US is losing a conflict. ;)

And there is generally overlooked issue of fuel-air bombs, as powerful as so-called 'battlefield nukes', that the US was happily dropping in Afghanistan while the media went into a wankfest about the "awesome power" of such devices.

What exactly are you attempting to refer to here, Aladdin? There was no use of WMD in Vietnam, and Fuel-air explosives are not classified as WMD either.
  • Options
    A little something to add to the issues:

Objects of Inspection
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

He also missed out on the use during the Gulf War.
    Are you referring to Desert Storm? I may have done. Which weapons of mass destruction did Saddam use against the allied forces in that conflict?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    Are you referring to Desert Storm? I may have done. Which weapons of mass destruction did Saddam use against the allied forces in that conflict?

Sarin Gas in the first two days of the ground war. Czechs detected it.

Also used Sarin and Mustard Gas in March of 1991 against rebels.
  • Options
    Greenie, it has also been acknowledged by gulf war analysts that the Sarin "attacks" were merely the fallout of our own bombings of chemical weapons production facilities and the resulting dispersal of the airborn aftermath.

Nice try though. How bout offering the same diligence to scrutinizing the claims of our own GW veterans that Uncle Sam tested agents on our own troops for effect. Certainly our MIC likes nothing better than ready made guinea pigs to test its arsenals and response mechanisms.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Greenie, it has also been acknowledged by gulf war analysts that the Sarin "attacks" were merely the fallout of our own bombings of chemical weapons production facilities and the resulting dispersal of the airborn aftermath.

Not true, Clandestine. That was generally assumed to be the case, however detailed analysis of both communications and detection has made it obvious that is not so.

A side result is that the VA is testing the possibility that GWS is related to Sarin gas.

For fairly obvious reasons, this is an area where I have to be up to date. I can understand why you would think what you posted was correct, but there is significant data that has changed the conclusions.
  • Options
    Correct me if I wrong (I'm sure you will ;) ) but didn't US forces use chemical agents in Nam? And isn't napalm banned now as it's considered to horrifying a weapon?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Correct me if I wrong (I'm sure you will ;) ) but didn't US forces use chemical agents in Nam? And isn't napalm banned now as it's considered to horrifying a weapon?

No, the US did not use chemical agents in Vietnam. CNN made an allegation that they had. That was proven false.

Napalm is not banned as far as I know. The US has moved to other incendiary weapons as more effective in general. Btw, Napalm is not especially new. The jellied gasoline in flame throwers, used in both World Wars, is virtually identical to Napalm. It just wasn't considered for aerial delivery until late in the war in the Pacific.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Sarin Gas in the first two days of the ground war. Czechs detected it.

Also used Sarin and Mustard Gas in March of 1991 against rebels.
    Not to be critical, but were those the rebels that Bush Sr. left in the lurch because they were fundamentalists? Besides, when you say that I 'also missed out on the use during the Gulf War', in response to MoK saying that I omitted to mention the Kurds in my post, there's an implication that Saddam is also being criticised for using gas against those armed forces. This isn't a criticism I've heard, so I have to assume that the US are happy to give him that one, with only the token bulldozing of Iraqi conscripts by way of a slap on the wrists.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    Not to be critical, but were those the rebels that Bush Sr. left in the lurch because they were fundamentalists? Besides, when you say that I 'also missed out on the use during the Gulf War', in response to MoK saying that I omitted to mention the Kurds in my post, there's an implication that Saddam is also being criticised for using gas against those armed forces. This isn't a criticism I've heard, so I have to assume that the US are happy to give him that one, with only the token bulldozing of Iraqi conscripts by way of a slap on the wrists.

You are correct about the rebels. A lot of us (my brethren) who worked with those people aren't very happy about how the administration encouraged them and then left them high and dry.

Saddam is being criticized for it, but more in internal military circles than probably anywhere else. The military units who are preparing for duty in the Gulf are preparing extensively for the possibility of the use of biochem weapons, because it is evident that he is willing to use them. It may also be why President Bush has been so outspoken on reminding the world what the US policy is on retaliation for attack by WMD.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Heydrich
    Do tell me, did this policy apply in the Boer War?
    Sorry, you'll have to fill me in on this, I'm not entirely sure what happened in the Boer War. Perhaps I should have taken History...
    Originally posted by Man of Kent
    Your arguments were going well until this point.
    thank you:blush:
    If Iraq won't take it's finger off the trigger then that is precisely why we shouldn't.
    So we all just sit here with a gun to each other's heads. That'll be productive. What's more, America and Britain have a battery of sub-machine guns to the head of Iraq's antique flint-lock pistol.
    The difference is the circumstances in which we are prepared to use them.
    It may not appear much...
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    But it's only when both sides recognise this that they are an effective deterrence. A the while one side is happy to use them...
    Is it not possible that Iraq wants them as an "effective deterrence"? I know I would probably want something if the world superpowers seem out to get me.
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    And the tortures are never mentioned by the peace movement. So how much do the people in the peace movement really care about the people of Iraq?
    But the reason that we are going to war is not to prevent torture, it is to remove Saddams WMDs, (which we don't even know he has). Whilst I can accept that 9/11 made America less tolerant (more paranoid?) of dangers, I cannot see how it made them less tolerant to any torturing occuring, so if this is the reason we're going to war, then why wasn't the war started years ago as soon as information about this torturing reached the UN?
    Iraq had the chance to comply
    When? Many of the last inspectors turned out to be working for the CIA, so I can't really blame Iraq for kicking them out.
  • Options
    For the last time, the original inspectors were not chucked out by anyone. That is a matter of record. They were withdrawn by UNMOVIC and the IAEA themselves ahead of the Clinton admins announced plans to bombard Baghdad.
  • Options
    Compliance isn't about the inspectors, it is about doing what you have said you are going to do. If Iraq has complied, why are they unable to illustrate that to the inspectors?

Besides compliance with the UN resolutions regarding WMD, there are also the issues of complying with the terms of the cease-fire, which they have not done since the very first month the cease-fire was in effect.
  • Options
    Actually Greenie, to return to a divergent view (depsite recent unprecedented agreement), your contentions that this is merely the continuation of the previous war are flawed.

Firstly, the Gulf War was no actual war, as layed out by our Constituion, since Bush Sr. did not obtain a formal declaration of war from Congress. Added to this the fact that the terms of the action he launched was merely to drive the Iraqis out of Kuwait, that objective was accomplished. That in political terms ended that matter.

What ensued in terms of ceasefire declarations was and remains the sole perview of the UN, not the US or any coalition, both in implementation as well as enforcement.

That's why, at present, one of the factors being hotly debated in policy circles is that Bush Jr. looks set to ursurp the power of declaring "war" on the basis of the lame authorisation given by congress to use force, issued last October. The fallacy therein is that Congress cannot cede to the executive the power to singlehandedly set our nation on the path to war, a fact Bush is trying to sidestep to whatever extent he can deviate public attention away from his admin's shameful antics.

So if Bush intends to wage war, he must according to our Constitutional provisions, seek a Congressional debate and formal declaration before doing so. Anything less is an abuse of his office.
  • Options

What ensued in terms of ceasefire declarations was and remains the sole perview of the UN, not the US or any coalition, both in implementation as well as enforcement.

Did the coalition fight in blue helmets and white vehicles?

No.

Was the cease-fire signed in the name of the UN?

No.

It was signed in the name of each participating nation. Of course they have perview. They are sovereign states, which the UN is not.
  • Options
    So if Bush intends to wage war, he must according to our Constitutional provisions, seek a Congressional debate and formal declaration before doing so. Anything less is an abuse of his office.

...then why didn't you (collectively; those against the war) brought impeachment proceedings against Daddy Bush?

Is it because you'd lose?
  • Options
    The hallowed resolutions over which all this warmongering is being made however, IS a matter solely within the jurisdiction of the UN.

No, of course the Gulf War combatants did not fight under the UN blue helmet, Bush Sr. made it his personal crusade and pre-empted any such contingency.

I would actually prefer that the matter be resolved by Blue Helmets rather than a massive contingent of our own men and women. At least then it could truly be called a response of the international community and not a unilateral US lead exercise in further geo-political self interest.