Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should homosexuals be allowed to marry and adopte children?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why are gays denied civil rights in this instance? A child is a better off within a loving environment.

It is not just that someone be denied the right to legally cement their relationship unlike a heterosexual couple.

Comments

• Options
    I think any stable household should be allowed to adopt...

but there are so many issues that discriminate against homosexual men (and i do mean men, most do not apply to women), this is only 1 on the list....
  • Options
    Simple answer.

Yes.

The question is more, why shouldn't they...
  • Options
    I agree. Homosexuals are being denied this right because, in plain terms, the House or Lords are populated with ultra-right wing homophobic bigots who are completely out of tune with most of the nation, yet get to decide whether such bills are passed or not.

A child brought up in a loving environment will have a good upbringing regardless of the sex of the adoptive parents. Most of those who oppose homosexuals adopting believe the child is likely to be abused in their care. Which is absolutely ridiculous.

I hope the government will invoke the Parliament Act on this one.
  • Options

I agree. Homosexuals are being denied this right because, in plain terms, the House or Lords are populated with ultra-right wing homophobic bigots who are completely out of tune with most of the nation, yet get to decide whether such bills are passed or not.

I don't think its about the morals they have, but about the morals they want to be seen to have.

Did you know the gay men are not allowed to give blood?
    They don't actually say that, or course.. they say that you cannot if you are a man who has ever had any sexual intercourse with another man, whether protection was used or not.

And you cannot if you have had sex in the last year with any-one who is a man who has ever had any sexual intercourse with another man, whether protection was used or not.

There are more stupid rules about that. I'll bring in the form and write out the especailly ridiculas ones at some point.
  • Options
    In an ideal world there would be enough married heterosexual couples to adopt. Unfortunately this isnt an ideal world and we have a lot of kids living in hellish care homes.

Ive posted it before but heres my adoption preferences.

Hetero couple > homo couple > hetero/homo single > govt care home.

Cokephreak...I should damn well hope so about the blood..Thats just common sense. Gay men are far more likely to be exposed to HIV than heterosexual men. If you dont agree with that then surely you couldnt object to stopping fresh immigrants from south africa from giving blood either.
  • Options
    Doesn;t the same for say the same thing about prostitues, tattoos, drug use etc...

Is all about the risks associated with HIV, and no amount of politcal correctness will hide the fact that these groups are most at risk from this.

It would be a whole lot worse if you went in for a tonsil operation and came out with AIDS, just because huge precautions hadn't been taken by the blood service.

Be warned it won't be long before CJD becomes an issue either...

NB I can understand the frustration with the fact that "with protection" also counts tho'
  • Options
    what a coincidence! I got the form today. it says:
    you must not give blood iif you have ever received payment for sex with money or drugs
    and
    you must not give blood if you have ever , even a long time ago or only once, injected drugs.

and also if you've had a tatoo/piercing in last 12 months you can't either.

it ain't that discriminatory...
  • Options
    The drugs one seems like common sense.

How do you know if that person used safe needles? ;)
  • Options
    according to the rules my g/f cannot give blood.

I had sex with a man 3.5 years ago (protected). Since then i have been tested 3 times for STD's and have come up clear each time, but becuase my girlfriend has had sex with me within the last year (thank god) she cannot give blood.

seriously, do you really think they don't test the donated samples anyway?

Besides, its not gay people that are higher risk, its people who have a lot of casual sex, and people that have anal sex that are high risk.

How about "if you have ever paid for recieved money for drugs". Thats on the sheet aswell ( i did say i'd bring it in. I may still)... Also if you have had sex within the last year with some-one that has ever paid for recieved money for drugs.
  • Options

you must not give blood iif you have ever received payment for sex with money or drugs
    and
    you must not give blood if you have ever , even a long time ago or only once, injected drugs.

I once let a friend have a bit of hash for a £5... that obviously means my blood is impure (I'm glad some-one has the same sheet i got)

NB I can understand the frustration with the fact that "with protection" also counts tho'

Its not just anal sex, either... its worded to include oral, and i suppose manual manipulation... both of which are MUCH lower risk the hetrosexual intercouse.
  • Options
    but gay men do have more anal sex than straight people. I mean, they need to make the risks as low as possible.
    The sheet doesn't say anything about using hash, does it? that's only as payment for sex.
    Also, it does say that the tests don't always show if the blood's infected, so I gues sthat's why.
  • Options
    But if two gay men have anal sex (whilst using protection) what is problem? Like other forms of sex one usually gets infected if they come into contact (,i.e. ingest or come into contact with a mucus membrane such as the mouth, anus/rectum, vagina, etc.) with semen.
  • Options
    hmm

ok, i misread this line

must not give blood iif you have ever received payment for sex with money or drugs

Had all the words in place.. but read something different. :confused:

but gay men do have more anal sex than straight people. I mean, they need to make the risks as low as possible.

Some gay men do.
    Some hetrosexual people have more sex than gay men.
    Some gay people have sex with 1 partener and 1 partner alone throughout their lives.

Isn't that making generalisations about people based on their sexuality?

:mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    yes, I guess it is. I don't know. Is it statistically true that gay men are significantly more likely to have unprotected anal intercourse than anyone else? if so, it's justifiable; if not, it's not.
    I mean, it's not a generalisation like 'all gay men are camp' or 'all men like football'; it might be like 'men in general are more likely to masturbate than women.' Probably true, and not necessarily offensive if you don't masturbate that much yourself.
  • Options
    The government has a choice.
    Keep the gay MINORITY happy by being politically correct. Keep the MAJORITY of EVERYBODY safe by screening people who have had increased exposure to HIV, AIDS e.t.c.

Personally, with things like this people in the minority who are complaining can go to hell.
  • Options
    going back to the "should gay men be able to marry and adopt children"....

i think that in an ideal place there shouldnt be any problem with this...

this is britain tho :|

theres bound to be people giving these guys hassle for it and youve got to think about the kid. Its almost definately going to have problems in school with bullying etcetera. Playgrounds arent exactly the most liberal places...

its only been around thirty years since being overtly homosexual was socially acceptable too, and im sure all of you still know at least a dozen people who are homophobic.

i reckon that sooner or later they should be able to adopt, but for the moment, no. For the kids sake :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Black Hole Sun

i reckon that sooner or later they should be able to adopt, but for the moment, no. For the kids sake :)

I have an adopted cousin on each side of my family. Totally different cases, different reasoning for adopting, different gender of kid, different birthplace, different country which they are living in now, different family situation etc. Basically the only common factor is that they are adopted.

In both cases their parents are hetero sexual.

But when hearing about the circumstances these kids come from, I wouldn't stand in the way of gay-couples adopting such children.

Preferably adoptive parents should be hetero, but this is not always the case. And denying a kid the chance to have a proper life, cause of it's adoptive parents sexual preferences is simply stupid.

A kid deserves the chance of a good future with gay parents, than being dead or with death as the only achievable goal, with no parents.

Bullying is a factor in the discussion, but it's a minor thing when counting up the pro and cons of gay-couples adopting a needing child.
  • Options
    It's too bad that children might be bullied because his parents are same-sex. But this shouldn't be a reason to stop gay couples adopting children. As it becomes more and more common the bullying would all but disappear (pretty much as what has happened with children of mix-race couples).

Any child caught engaging in racist/homophobic bullying should be expelled, end of.
  • Options
    there is a chance that the child maybe be picked on at school for having gay parents, but thats no reason to stop gay people adopting. If there was a problem at a particular school then schools can always be changed or theres always home education, there is no law that says a child has to be educated in a school, just that they must be educated. School is such a small part of a persons life, whereas family is there for life.
  • Options
    I think any loving, caring adult who has passed the (very rigorous) tests for screening potential adoptive parents should be allowed to adopt. People's suitability for adopting a child should be considered by the authorities on an individual basis. There are a lot of bad heterosexual parents about, and some (but not all) homosexuals may very well be better parents. They should at least be given the chance.

Also, I think someone said on Any Questions today that single gay people would be allowed to adopt but not couples, which seems completely twisted. Does anyone know if this is true?

And although it's true that school is a small part of someone's life, bullying can scar you forever.
  • Options
    yes its true that single gay and single heterosexual people can adopt but not gay or heterosexual unmarried couples
  • Options
    mar·riage n.

1. The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
    2. The state of being married; wedlock.
    3. A common-law marriage.

Unless the meaning of the word changes, homosexuals can not marry. However, they can share a same sex relationship.

:p
  • Options
    Actually homsexual couples are allowed to get married here in Denmark. Think that the law was made in the early 90's if I am not mistaking.

Though what amazes me is, when gay couples fight to get married in the church. I mean, why would you want to get married in a place which condemns you? :confused:
    Though a lot of churchs (maybe by law as well), do perform marriages between gay couples.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Though what amazes me is, when gay couples fight to get married in the church. I mean, why would you want to get married in a place which condemns you? :confused:

Why would any one do that, unless its all about getting one's way.
  • Options
    Leviticus 13:20 says it all...when you find them it's time for a rock show!

We as a people will never get past that one...our we can turn Turk and do as the islamics with the 'extra' boys! (I think not)

However, ultimately children need homes...!

Diesel

88888888:eek2:
  • Options
    poor turtle, hope people dont confuse him with having views like that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    I had the same reservations about women wanting to be ordained as priests, but until church reform becomes a deadly sin, I guess we have to respect the rights of those who want to be accepted by their chosen faiths for what they are. Gay people can believe in the resurrection of Christ without having to buy into Leviticus wholesale (which condemned homosexuality for cultural rather than moral reasons).
  • Options
    Actually the 'true faith/church' accepts the gender challenged, forgives them and tells them to sin no more.

That is pretty simple...nothing there to 'hate' or get excited about.

However, why the gender challenged would think that the 'ture faith/church/ must conform to them instead of the other way around is confusing...guess they overlook the part about "...many will come saying I am the messiah but are not of the faith and are of the synagogue of satain!"

Knowing this...makes me wonder why anyone would put themselves to such grief by demanding the 'church' conform to them when they can just go start their own and not be bothered.

Having lived in an orphanage for two years when I was a small child I can only tell you that it is heartbreaking for homeless/parentless children to feel such abandonment! And that young children in such situations are not stupid...they know that it is 'Adam & Eve' and not "Adam & Steve' so the situation could be doubly cruel.

And...if there is absolutely NO other alternative...Adam & Steve is better than nobody.

Diesel

• Options

young children in such situations are not stupid...they know that it is 'Adam & Eve' and not "Adam & Steve' so the situation could be doubly cruel.

That's where part of the problem lies don't you think? Children shouldn't be taught about Adam and Eve (not as fact or guidance anyway) for they are fictional characters of a book of legends and superstitions.

No doubt many of those who oppose gay couples adopting were given a good comprehensive religious education from a very early age.
  • Options
    "All religion is poison" but matters of faith can't be denied!

I really have looked at this adoption issue...can't get past the notion that gender challenged adoption is a last resort approach.

It doesn't diminish the fact that such people can be wonderful and talented folk, maybe even good parents...and who can tell until you try!

But our society doesn't accept it and probably won't unless some horrid war or disease wipes out all available options...again, a last resort approach.

Diesel

88888888:eek: