Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Urban-75 resolves Iraq issue:

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks Dude, I enjoyed reading that myself.

I assume you've posted it there, so I'm off to read their "ivew" on it.

Should be a laugh :)
  • Options
    It's impossible to find the exact terms. They aren't even on the UN security council database.
    I suspect the only place you can find them is in the US in the library of congress.

But after reading the document, wouldnt you say that those sanctions are basically a ceasefire agreement?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    But after reading the document, wouldnt you say that those sanctions are basically a ceasefire agreement?

I'd say it was fairly clear.

My only suggestion to them would be to go to www.UN.org and look up the 1991 Resolution (687), which is as clear as any legal document gets.

Then point them in the direction of a dictionary to look up the meaning of "ceasefire"... something which 687 refers to ...
  • Options
    Hi!

Did you miss me? I've been having some interesting log-in problems...pretty funny for us computer illiterates!

:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

My only suggestion to them would be to go to www.UN.org and look up the 1991 Resolution (687), which is as clear as any legal document gets.

But it does not support their emotional perspective, therefore must be a dastardly imperialist plot to subjugate the world! :eek:

{edit} ~ One must hold their grasp of reality in question when "Editor" claims to have an accurate perspective upon the mindset and psyche of the "average American" because he was a guest on the Jenny Jones Show! :rolleyes:
    Rather than use the gaff to advantage, I preferred to suggest to him that only a naivite toward the true scheme of things in America would cause him to boast of something that no self-respecting adult with a functioning intellect in the US would do: difficult to find anyone other than a bonbon face-stuffing layabout who would admit to even watching that bullshit, much less being duped into being a part of it! :rolleyes:

Personally, I would think that Rosie O'Donnell would be closer to his preference... ;)
  • Options
    They are disagreeing because they want the military ceasefire and not the sanctions that followed. My response:

Maybe so, as noone here knows the exact terms of the ceasefire then it is easier to assume that breaking the sanctions will result in a break of the ceasefire. I am only commenting on what has happened. Each time Saddam has refused to abide by UN sanctions the US and UK have attacked him. Sometimes it has been newsworthy, most times it has been not.

The actual ceasefire agreement will most likely be about the demobbing and dispersal of troops, the withdrawl from Kuwait and other things that are of just military importance. Apart from some of the wording, which is a fault on my part, the sanctions do not override the ceasefire, they simply sit beside it. And from all the information that is available it is safe to assume that the UN sanctions make up a bulk of the US ceasefire agreement, most likely under a clause indicating what would happen if Saddam defied the UN as well as the US.
    Like I said, the only person who knows for sure isn't here, but he has mentioned the ceasefire to us, and it was not in an argument like this, giving us no reason to doubt him.
    If you like I'll do more searching around for the specifics, unlikely that they exist though.