Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Honest With My GP, CBT?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks so much :)
  • Options
    Also I just had a look at your blog. Keep on with that, you have a talent and writing about things is SO helpful!
  • Options
    Your blog is good too.. But I really don't have a talent.. My blog is crap! haha.. But thank you for your kind words.
  • Options
    :banghead:ARGHH!!!!! :(:'(
  • Options
    I am such a screw up it's official.. :/
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    *hug* what happened?
  • Options
    I couldn't face work today cos I woke up feeling really low. And like I am feeling really paranoid that I am gonna get into trouble with work. I called in sick. :/
    I relapsed, and like feel like I have wasted the whole time of not doing anything. Fed up. :'(
  • Options
    This is why we suggested getting yourself signed off for a couple of weeks. You wouldn't be having a go at yourself if you did nothing and had broken your leg, or if you did nothing because you had the flu. Just because it's a mental illness doesn't mean what you're dealing with is less hard.

You've done nothing wrong in calling in sick. You can go to your GP and be signed off for a longer period, but you can self-certify for up to 5 working days.
  • Options
    yes but I work with children. Even though I am not a risk to them, and I can do my job, mental health in the workplace isn't exactly something that everyone understands, and in the past my manager hasn't really welcomed me back without given me lectures, like "if this happens again, then we will have to find other arrangements"
    I don't even know what to do anymore.
  • Options
    They can't, it's against the law. You are protected by the Equalities Act 2010. Mind have a lovely factsheet.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, make yourself sicker worrying about someone else's point of view, especially when they can't fucking touch you.
  • Options
    I hate when I feel like this though. I have been doing so well. and I just feel like such a screw up. Thanks for the link.

I am worried though my job means everything to me.
  • Options
    They can't sack you for being depressed. Is there an HR department to talk to? over your managers head perhaps? They should know, and sometimes just dropping the right kind of comment can get a lot of notice, asking for the company's equal opportunities policy for example.
  • Options
    I am a part of a union but I didn't think I could contact them about this kinda stuff, they are more to help with the legal stuff if I am in trouble at work, and currently I am not. I don't know if there is anyone higher than my manager, she is the owner of the nursery too.
    So I really don't think there is anyone I can talk to about this.

With regards to my general mental health, I struggle when it comes to taking long periods of time of work, cos thats when I tend to do stupid stuff. Times in the past, id overdosed, cut chunks outta my own hair. So being at work is good for me it helps. But like I don't know what to do about things anymore. I feel so alone, like I have nobody.
  • Options
    Your union are the perfect people to talk to about this, why wait until you're in trouble? Especially because if you get in trouble it WILL be legal. in addition you could also call the mind advice line 0300 123 3393 (or the mind legal advice line 0300 466 6463) or ACAS on 08457 47 47 47 (website).

My first employer fired me for being sick, it's stayed with me, if I'd know then what I know now, I would have taken them to the fucking cleaners. Don't let it happen to you too.
  • Options
    Thank you for your useful advice, I will take it on board. I guess I just don't want it to come to that, that I need to talk to all these people, partly cos I don't do well with discussing things, and cos I just think it will cause more problems in a way. I really am not thinking straight today.

:(
  • Options
    Think about it hard Claire, back in the day my signature was a statistic, 1 in 17 people who have cancer will lose their homes. Mental health issues are just as real as cancer, or arthritis, or anything really.

Just because it's in your head doesn't mean you should be dismissed, the only way you will be is if you don't say anything about the rights that you have.
  • Options
    Why is it all so complicated. I don't even understand. :'(
  • Options
    When you say you want a break from 'everything', what is everything? Break it down. It's normally 1 or 2 things which can be easily helped.
  • Options
    From feeling this way. I am glad I spoke to my doctor about things, but like after I relapsed I don't want to go back.
  • Options
    It sounds like you're going through quite a tough time right now Claire. Part of finally being honest with the doctor is also being honest with yourself, it may be the first time in a while that you have said to yourself ' I need help' and that can be scary and make you feel pathetic, or like you made a mistake or other people are worse off or...all kinds of things!

The key thing to remember though is that the step you took was absolutely a positive one, even if it all feels confusing right now and like it's spiralling.

It sounds like you could do with a break from work but also that work is one of your key motivations and you'd be worried to let it go?

Take things slowly, there is no rush *hug*
  • Options
    You're so right Jo. I used to be saying to myself, I don't need help I did this for so long and now I have actually opened up and gone to my doctor and was honest with her, as much as it felt like a relief now I am wondering if I have made a mistake cos like this feeling that I have had all day today has been worry, and I know in therapy its bout talking about feelings and things and that worries and me and being totally honest scares me, I have never been able to do that before and I don't know how I will cope with it.

Yeah my job means so much to me, I know that sounds silly cos I have my family and friends and a home etc, but like my job is something I am actually good at since I fail at pretty much everything else, and like I don't want to risk doing anything to jeopardize my job role. I know everyone is telling me that work can't do anything with regards to me getting into trouble over my mental health, but I can't even see that. I have got set up at work over things, and I have seen it happen to people, not necessary over their mental health but still, and if they can do it to them, why not to me.

Argh why do I feel so paranoid!!! This is horrible..
  • Options
    Gotta love when your told your making everything up and theres nothing wrong with you. And getting ignored and not knowing what youve done wrong.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    Who told you that? :( If it's not a medical professional, it doesn't matter what they think.
  • Options
    My mum

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    My mum said this to me too, when I first tried to tell her what the health professional had told me. It's horrible. But the thing is, there is something wrong with you and you have to believe it to get better.
    Is it that your mum doesn't believe in depression or that you're not ill?
    I think for my mum it was denial, she had been ill herself and didn't want me to go through the same things that she had been through. Is that a possibility?

*hug*
  • Options
    My mum has depression, I don't know what it is about, she said to me that nothing has ever happened to me to make me this way, like in my childhood. I don't even wanna try and talk to her about it again cos I cant deal with the arguments!
  • Options
    Perhaps she doesn't want you to feel that way so is trying to deny it/ tell you you don't to protect herself? It sounds almost like she doesn't realise depression can be chemical as well as situational.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to not talk to her about it again. I didn't with my parents, so it's not unheard of :)
  • Options
    I don't know how I feel about it all to be honest, just fed up now.. :'(
  • Options
    :'( Hibernation sounds like a brilliant plan right now.
  • Options
    Failed last night :'(
    So angry with myself. Sorry just need to rant.