Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Honest With My GP, CBT?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey Guys.

Ive just gone to my doctor, and was completely honest with her. I have been put on a 2 week prescription cos she doesn't want to give me loads of pills cos of the past overdoses. I have also been referred to CBT, I have no idea anything about this. Just wondering if anybody can tell me about it?

I am scared and really worried, unsure of what to expect. Kind of wondering if I have just made a mistake. :(

Comments

• Options
    CBT is short for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. It helps address the thoughts and behaviours that are causing you so much difficulty. It can be very effective in treating specific damaging behaviours.

NHS Choices info on CBT
  • Options
    I did CBT, if you throw yourself into the process it will be very good for you. It really helped me with intrusive thoughts, and a friend with OCD symptoms, and another friend with anxiety issues.

Well done on talking to your GP, this is real progress. Winner all round.
  • Options
    Thank you. I am just really worried...

I hope I haven't made a mistake.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Well done :)

As has been said above, CBT can help change some of the damaging thought processes you have. I had it for a phobia and it really, really did help.

Why would it be a mistake, out of interest? :)
  • Options
    I think it's more a fear of the unknown.

I am just really worried about things now I have finally taken that step to get better. The thing is I have been this way in so long, its comfort, and I am unsure about leaving this comfort zone.. :( I know that sounds so stupid.
  • Options
    I think that's a real and justified reason. It is scary, I'll give you that. It can feel like it'd be easier to just say no and keep as you are, but in the long-run it'll be better to take the step, although it's scary, and benefit from it.

I felt like you, about leaving the 'comfort zone'. I couldn't remember what it was like before I got ill, so it felt so easy to stay that way. But then my quality of life was much improved by the CBT and then other therapies etc.

*hug*
  • Options
    Thank you..
    :)

I don't know how I feel to be honest... :(
  • Options
    its a step, but it doesnt have to go any further than you want it to. Its not a lightswitch that will make you better. Its just a particular type of therapy. A technique, It doesnt even work for everyone, but a lot of people have found it really helpful. Its just something to have a try.
  • Options
    Yeaah.. I think once I have that initial appointment I should hopefully feel bit better.

Just bit overwhelming that I actually told her things. Things that for so long I didnt want to talk about with her. But some great people opened my eyes about being honest and getting better.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    Well done you :)

You have nothing to lose here so go into it with an open mind.. change can be scary but as others have said, this first step is a real achievement Claire and you should be proud for taking control.

Sent from my HTC using tapatalk
  • Options
    You'll be fine. Just take it session-by-session.
  • Options
    Thank you so much Jo. :)

• Options
    Thanks for the reassurance bb, i am just overreacting. The joys.

• Options
    I don't think you're over-reacting, it's perfectly normal to feel like that :)
  • Options
    Thank you. Completely broke down in tears at work today..
  • Options
    Good to hear you went to your GP, and don't be too hard on yourself for feeling up and down, honestly naming something and saying it out aloud can be really overwhelming.
    Can you take a day off work just to have some down time?
  • Options
    nah, can't take any time off work... not at the minute anyway.

just thinking what is the point in keep trying right now?
  • Options
    nah, can't take any time off work... not at the minute anyway.

just thinking what is the point in keep trying right now?

what is the point in keep trying with what?
  • Options
    Everything.
  • Options
    Well for all the shit you see in your future, you could miss something amazing if you don't keep trying now.
    I'm sure you don't feel like that right now but you never how things will turn out. I know when I am at my lowest, it isn't the big things that keep me going its the little things that get me through.
  • Options
    hmmm.. I just need a break from life..:(
  • Options
    hmmm.. I just need a break from life..:(

Is it worth asking your GP to sign you off from work for a week or two?
  • Options
    Yeah but my manager wont like that. We are short staffed as it is at the moment.
    Ill be okay. :)

• Options
    What your manager willl or won't like is irrelevant. You need to do what is best for you.
  • Options
    Yeah but my manager wont like that. We are short staffed as it is at the moment.
    Ill be okay. :)

What Fiend said. They can't sack you for it.
  • Options
    I know but past experiences have put me of taking time off for my mental health.
    I tend to do bad stuff when I am off work. And also last time I was off my manager was quite funny over it with me. So like I want to just try and cope. Im in London for the weekender in like 4 weeks so thats something to focus on.
    Unsure of what to do. Tad confused.

• Options
    Feeling really crappy this evening... Just thinking what is the point in carrying on :'( alone, and just thinking far to much.. crap.crap.crap!!
  • Options
    CBT is cognitive behavioural therapy. I have been receiving this treatment for about a year. Essentially a therapist works with you to help you think around past issues and change your thought processes that might lead you to the dark thoughts that are in your head. For example, for a negative thought about people hating you, you might be taught to counter this 'fact' with evidence that suggests that people love and care for you. Check out my blog for more support: http://utterlycray.blogspot.co.uk/

Hope the CBT helps you
  • Options
    Thank you.. Just worried. :(
  • Options
    Don't be worried. Therapy isn't always pleasant but they're not trying to hurt or break you, only make you better. If you want to talk more about it privately I am more than happy to have a chat with you.