Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Feeling Low

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I havent mentioned it to them. Only just started a new unit so no assessments due until end of Feb/beginning of March...
  • Options
    Hiya
    Purple_Roo is right - rant away - that's what this forum is for. Sometimes just having a bit of a rant and letting it all out can help in itself.

So sorry that you feel sidelined at home. I guess you're all dealing with the loss in different ways. Much as parents should be perfect and put all their own feelings aside for their kids, the reality is that they're human too and have emotions and ups and downs. It's just a shame that you and your mum are both dealing with same problem right now.

Do you ever talk properly to your mum about what happened? It must be really hard, but just acknowledging one another's feelings might help.

On a more practical level, working your sleeping hours around your other commitments is a good start. I would suggest you double check the driving thing with your doctor first if it's unclear though, just to be on the safe side.

I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight - it's such a defining factor in how we feel emotionally, so you're totally right to focus on it.
    Take care :)
  • Options
    I don't expect her to put her feelings aside - even though I've spent the past 12 months doing that for her and everyone else. I just expect a little bit of give and take, rather than it just being me making all the sacrifices.

We don't talk that openly - if she's mad she bottles it up and makes nasty remarks until we eventually get to the root of the issue. She got really narky with me this morning when I asked if she could walk to work tomorrow - then this evening after I eventually got her to be honest, she told me how no-one really listens to her or cares - they just expect her to do what she's always done. That's absolute crap because I've been putting off most of my grief for the past 12 months to try and be supportive to her. All I want to do right now is curl up and die. And I know that sounds dramatic but things have just gradually been mounting up over the past however many months and I just can't do it anymore. But its not just that. Living with her at the moment, is like living with my Dad this time last year and I am absolutely terrified she will end up doing the same thing, even though she's adamant she wouldn't. I just don't trust people anymore. :crying:
  • Options
    It's possible that you're doing such a good job of keeping things ticking along and listening and caring that she hasn't actually noticed you're doing it. If you stopped, you can be damn sure she'd spot it then, but if you're doing it well now then it's possibly not obvious because you're always there.

Me and my mum were in a very different position - but don't think she, or my dad/brothers had any idea how much listening and protecting/sheltering I'd been doing for her until I moved out. Then suddenly there was a gap.
  • Options
    It's the fact that I have stopped and been more open about how I'm struggling thats now causing all the trouble. When I dropped her to work this morning she was banging on about how no-one listens so she isn't going to moan about x, y and z anymore. Argh she's so bloody frustrating!!!! I don't even know if her issue is with me or with work because I know she was angry about something that had happened at work yesterday, which was what she was moaning about this morning.

I also ended up not taking any sleeping tablets last night but I managed to sleep for 7 hours straight without so that's something.

Argh, I dunno - I guess things will improve (or not) as and when and if they don't, I live near an airport so I'll just bugger off somewhere and not come back.
  • Options
    I also ended up not taking any sleeping tablets last night but I managed to sleep for 7 hours straight without so that's something.

That really is something. If your sleep picks up, you might start to find it easier to cope. I hope so.
  • Options
    I wish it had :( I HATE feeling so low!! It makes me feel useless and stupid
  • Options
    I actually give up. It's pointless. Nothing is worth this much hassle or effort. Nothing at all.
  • Options
    Big hugs lovely. Dont know what to say cos kinda in bad way myself. But i am here for you <3

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    Hope your ok...I just want to curl up and hide. I'm a mess.
  • Options
    Same here. :( it sucks.
    You can get through this lovely. I promise you. <3

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    how's the sleeping my love? if it's really bad get yourself back to docs, as an emergency if needed. or call any local bereavement support groups?
  • Options
    The sleeping is better...i honestly thought that if i could get that under control it would make me feel better but it hasnt :crying:

I want to go back to my GP but they dont listen :crying:
  • Options
    what don't they listen to hun? what exactly do you want from them? any chance of getting to a counsellor before March?
  • Options
    give the sleeping a little longer as well.
  • Options
    I just want them to actually listen. The last time i didnt get to tell her everything because all she heard was "not sleeping" and was straight onto issuing tablets. Dont get me wrong, they were useful but there was no actual listening going on. She didnt ask anything else and i felt by her response that i couldnt tell her anymore because she had decided what to give me. Im not blaming her...i just want them to really listen...if she had known the full story i dont think she would have even given them to me...not the best thing to give someone who was suicidal at the time :crying:
  • Options
    Sorry - I was on my phone before - I did consider going back to counselling through work...they offer 6 sessions, which would see me through the short term?
  • Options
    Sorry - I was on my phone before - I did consider going back to counselling through work...they offer 6 sessions, which would see me through the short term?

Would get you to March, is that still the aim?
  • Options
    I will speak to work this week...really not coping at the moment. :(
  • Options
    Sounds like a good plan.

6 sessions would be a good step along the way. It would also give you 6 slots of having someone to talk to who's there to listen. Listening isn't a strong point of GPs - so if work can offer something that might be a help.

As others have mentioned - have you considered bereavement groups?

Also, you need to give the sleep thing time. When I used to work rotation I came back from that shattered - after a heavy rota it took me 2 days of sleeping/napping most of the time followed by a full week of decent nights long sleep to catch up. And that's recovering from something pretty short - suspect you're more worn out than I was after that.
  • Options
    Hi there,

I haven’t replied to one of your threads before but I want you to know that I have been reading all of your thread/s and all of your posts from afar (I’ve been reading them from afar as up until now I wasn’t sure what it was that I wanted to say, or if indeed if any of what I did have to say would carry any weight).

Anyway, firstly I can’t pretend to know what you’re going through as I’ve never lost a parent through suicide; and well even if I had I still wouldn’t proclaim to know how YOU feel. However although I haven’t lost a parent through suicide I have experienced a loss through suicide; in fact I’ve experienced two and well if nothing else I have certainly experienced my fair share of grief and loss during my lifetime.

The first of my own aforementioned losses came when I was 15 years old when my step-granddad took his own life. Unfortunately his marriage had broken down and subsequently in the months that followed he then started drinking heavily. One night he simply drove to a secluded spot blocked his car exhaust and switched on the engine. His death had a huge impact on my family, the dynamics of my family, my home life and I guess the course of my life in general. Indeed my family would certainly be able to relate to your feelings of guilt, blame, stress (including that induced through the subsequent inquest) and to some extent even shame.

The feelings associated with his death were feelings that at the time I had hoped that I’d never experience again, however in the autumn of 2009 I experienced yet another loss to suicide when an old school friend of mine hung himself. Although I hadn’t seen this particular friend for a few years we were close growing up and his death hit me quite hard. And I guess looking back his death hit me hard for two reasons; the first was the obvious loss, grief and shock that his death elicited in everyone that had known him. However the second reason was something that I believe I may have felt in isolation because in between the death of my step-granddad and that of my friend I had endured my own battle with my inner demons and that ‘black dog’ depression; indeed I certainly stood on the edge of life’s pit and looked down. So you see to some degree I knew how my friend must have felt and that’s what really saddened me!

When I stumbled onto these boards in 2009 (before my friends’ death) I was in the midst of another depressive episode however with the advice and support of some of these wonderful people on these boards I somehow found the strength to seek the professional help that I so clearly needed. Anyway I guess what I’m trying to say is that I have witnessed the effects of suicide and I have also walked that fine line between life and death myself and while I can’t pull you from the darkness or wave a magic wand to make all of this go away what I can hopefully do is show you a glimmer of light; or hope.

Life is not a circular path but a linear one, there will be many ups and downs along the way but try and remember that no one point in time will ever be the same (although at times it might feel like it!). There will be many wonderful moments still to come and it’s these little things that we need to cling onto; life can get better.

So although I can’t promise you that someday your life will be fantastic and everything you dreamed of, what I can promise you is that with time and the right support life will one day feel better than it does right now.

Take care and try to hold onto that hope *hug*
  • Options
    Thank you :) I have to ring them tomorrow to arrange sessions. I haven't considered bereavement groups...I wouldn't feel comfortable and I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking.

Thanks for your post girl_afraid. Like yourself, I've experienced the impact of suicide and also being at that point myself. I find it difficult comprehending that was how he felt and no one helped him.

I'm desperately trying to keep going...it's just so hard. I could really relate to what you wrote though so thank you for sharing...
  • Options
    Hey, I'd definitely ring work tomorrow and take them up on the offer of the 6 sessions which you are entitled to. However if you're still not coping once the effects of the sleeping tablets have kicked in then I'd still consider making a return visit to your GP. I know that you said in one of your recent posts that you didn't feel that she listened to you on your previous visit but sometimes it's better to just be really honest from the onset and just come straight out with it. If you've been having suicidal thoughts then perhaps you should start with that rather than build up to it (I know that that's probably easier said than done!) but at least if you start at the worst point then you can't miss it out and can explain in more detail as the appointment goes on. *hug*
  • Options
    I guess I just find it hard to openly say "I've been having suicidal feelings". I know I have on here but its different online to talking to someone face to face. I know I should though and I know it might get me somewhere. I just want the never-ending thoughts in my head to stop!
  • Options
    Thats what I thought would happen last time and was kinda hoping she would so I could be honest but she didn't and I just didn't know how to tell her. I'm so stupid :banghead:
  • Options
    You're not stupid, you're just nervous. I'm trying to remember correctly, but I don't think a doctor has ever asked me about suicidal thoughts, whereas a counsellor definitely has.

Write it down and hand it do the doctor if you can't say it - "I'm having suicidal thoughts and I want help."
  • Options
    I've been asked very euphemistically about suicide by a doctor, which was actually more awkward than if they'd come out and asked me directly. The doctor didn't quite know what to say when I told them that I was suicidal (well, nodded my head at the question anyway). She was very kindly about it all, she just didn't know what to say. Maybe there isn't anything one can say.

It is a big deal to admit to someone that you are suicidal. It isn't stupid to be scared of admitting it. Write it down and show it to your doctor if you don't think you can actually speak the words. But you should admit your feelings because it's only through acknowledging the feelings that you can even begin to work through them.
  • Options
    I've been asked twice before by two different doctors - one of which was the one I saw most recently - only she didnt ask me this time.

I'm waiting for a call back from the counselling team through work for a telephone assessment - can take a while though apparently. Until then I guess I'll just have to keep going.
  • Options
    Just remember how far you've come. You've done well, and you can keep doing well.
  • Options
    Thanks...im a mess and its not even until tomorrow!! God knows what I'll be like by then!