Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Feeling Low

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm feeling pretty low at the moment. I have lost all interest in everything. The first year anniversary is soon and isn't helping. I feel like I'm under a lot of pressure at the minute and that I'm not fulfilling what everyone expects from me. I don't know...just feeling really rubbish right now.

Comments

• Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Are you able to take some time out? You know like those gap year things. Or is it too late for something like that?
    Don't feel like you have to fulfill what others expect of you. Do what you expect of yourself. If you constantly worry about what others want, the pressure mounts. It may even get so bad that you can't concentrate on anything else. -It could be why you've lost interest in everything.
    You can't live your life pleasing others, live it for yourself. xx *hug*
  • Options
    Firstly big *hug*

I am sorry to hear how you are feeling. It's great that you have posted :) I am proud of you. I am always here for you lovely. You can PM me anytime :heart:

Do you have any face to face support at the minute? Anybody you can talk to about how you are feeling closer to home?

I agree with what Reena has said here

"Don't feel like you have to fulfill what others expect of you. Do what you expect of yourself. If you constantly worry about what others want, the pressure mounts"

That is a very true point. Just to echo it, I think that when you think too much about what other people expect us to be like or achieve, we forget the smaller things that WE want to achieve for ourselves. Hope that makes some sort of sense.

I have felt like that where I have lacked interest in things that I once really enjoyed. To the point where I would just stay in bed, I got signed off work, and I just spent the time sleeping. Cos I didn't see any light or anything positive to work towards, or have anything to look forward to. I lost interest in everything.

I found some things to help me a lot. I will mention some here:

Finding quotes- This has helped me a lot to the point that I have a positive wall with quotes all over it, and quotes on my phone and tumblr.

Making myself go out for a walk- This helps, exercise and fresh air is great to beating the lack of motivation and interest in things.

Planning things to look forward to- Whether it's a day out with friends or family, or volunteering, it can be ANYTHING :)

Listening to really upbeat music- This is great to give you energy, and get you moving.

Blogging- I have also found blogging quite useful, to get my feelings out. I tend to use tumblr cos of the positive quotes and I can express myself.

Those are just a few tips to help you get back into the swing of things. Hope they help *hug*

You're not alone in this. I promise we all care about you, and you can keep posting and somebody will always be here to respond. :heart:

Stay strong lovely :)
  • Options
    It's too late for a gap year...I'm in final year now so just want to get the course over and done with.

I agree with what you both said about not pleasing everyone else but it's so hard to change that when it's all I've ever done...

Thanks for the suggestions Claire. I force myself to go to the gym and when I have the suicidal feelings I try and distract myself with something like reading or watching TV or focusing on some uni work if I can. I love quotes and music too but none of it is really helping.

I'm really anxious a lot at the moment but I seem to have accepted it as something that I have to live with but really I shouldn't.

I dont have any face to face support at the moment. I really should see my GP but I guess I'm worried about the outcome.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about how your feeling lovely.

I can fully understand how you feel about talking to a doctor.
    But it may help you in the long run. I am still trying to be honest with my doctor.

Like i said im always here for you. Sorry its a short response i am ill in bed.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    Are you sleeping well enough? Remember how much more empowered you felt to cope when you were sleeping better.

I was in constant, uncontrollable tears during the first anniversary. I wasn't sleeping either, so I got a short course of sleeping tablets which helped millions.

Please don't avoid the doctors- they won't think you are mad! You're exhibiting all the valid symptoms of complicated grief, which is stress related, not crazy related. (And I actually read an article to this effect the other day!).

As much as I wish it weren't, this is all part of the normal process for grief. Your doctor will want to help!
  • Options
    Hope you feel better soon Claire!

If I'm honest, my sleeping is rubbish. If it's not non-existant I'm having horrid dreams and I wake up to panic attacks. I only get one decent nights sleep a week and that's if I'm lucky.

Thank you...hearing someone else say they went through exactly the same is reassuring. I have time off from work at the later part of next week so I will make a GP appointment...in fact I'll book it Monday so no excuses!
  • Options
    Thank you lovely <3

Hope you are okay. x
  • Options
    I am feeling totally lost and confused today. The whole trust thing is still a massive issue. As is the constant anxiety. I also realised today that I seem to have forgotten who my Dad really was...all I remember is the 6 months prior to his death but that wasn't him...that was just a distant stranger. I don't know what's happening to me but I feel awful. Like the reality is hitting me all over again. The reality that the one person I had 100% trust in, broke that trust by turning out to be someone I never thought he was. Why do I not feel any better? I hate this. I hate it so much. And what's really upsetting me is that I am fighting to get through each day when part of me...is telling me that it's genuinely not worth it and I shouldn't keep going.
    I also had a strange conversation yesterday. I was talking to a friend about having children. I told her I would never have kids...when she asked me why...without even realising what I was saying, I told her I could never bring a child into this world when I couldn't be certain that I wouldn't ever do what my Dad did and that I couldn't risk putting my own chld through this pain.
    I don't know what's happened to me or where it all went wrong but I do know that feeling like this is scary :(
  • Options
    Massive hugs *hug*

I am sorry I am being useless at offering you advice right now, the truth is I don't know what to say, and I don't want to say the wrong thing. I do care though I have been reading all your posts. I hope that somebody can offer you advice and help you at least hopefully feel better. I am sorry.

I do care though and if you do need a chat I am always here, even if you need to vent, my PM box is always there.

Please take care :heart:
  • Options
    Hi WhiteLillies :wave:

You are asking why do you not feel any better? These things can take a long time especially with what you went through and it must be frustrating that you keep feeling like this but remember you have come so far this past year and done so well to cope with this and trying to get through it :heart:

Trust is a massive thing which was taken from you but you will learn to trust again and you have already done so when you have posted on the boards as you have taken a lot of trust into the site to get support and advice. You are very brave and have great courage to share how you feel as not everyone can do that.

You are going to feel anxious at the moment and lots of thoughts and memories will be coming through with it running up to the anniversary but keep sharing as we are all here for you and as ClaireStephanie says big massive hugs to you! *hug*

purple_rain
  • Options
    I'm always wary about saying things like this because I don't want to depress you into thinking this goes on forever - it doesn't, you will see improvement. But just to point out that I had to ask someone to change the subject last night because the topic of fatherhood was a bit too sensitive for me at that point.

As I've said in my other post, the 1st year anniversary was horrible. Then I got back onto a bit of a better level, but hit another low point around 18 months - 2 years, and since then I've been generally more on top of things.

One thing we did during one of the therapies I went to was to write - either about our parent, or a letter to them. I think what I did was just blurb about 4 pages of scribble of everything I remembered about Dad - from the beginning all the way to the end. It might help for you just to start writing and let your pen flow without censoring it.

It genuinely is worth it. Keep going. It doesn't stay like this forever.
  • Options
    Thank you for all your responses *hug*

Claire: You really have no need to apologise! Just knowing someone is reading my randomness is a help...and thank you for the offer of talking :)

purple_rain: Thank you for the advice. When I reflect on the whole year I think I have moved forwards massively - it just feels like a backwards step when I feel this low all over again.

Purple_roo: Don't worry - it isn't depressing - its realistic and I guess knowing its ok to still feel this way is somewhat helpful. I've written letters to him before too - I did it during my counselling sessions - it was helpful as it meant she got a better insight into my frame of mind and could help me make sense of it - I might try it again.

I made a GP appointment for Monday - I'm anxious about it as I know when I go I want to be really honest...any tips for how to get through it and telling her everything would be gratefully received? I did consider writing it all down and just asking her to read it but I thought that might seem a bit rude/weird?
  • Options
    I mean it though hun, I am always here for you *hug*

Take care, and don't worry. Everything is going to be okay :heart:
  • Options
    Letters to him are a great idea - in some ways it's awesome having someone to confide in who can't talk back! But at the same time it's a right bugger. You could also just try writing memories. I think mine started off with just jotting down things like "guitar, cigarette smoke" etc and by the time I'd finished it was four pages of truly heartfelt memories. I've still got it to read sometimes.

No, I think writing everything down is a good way to do it - even if you use it as prompts to go through it together. As a tip, I'd say work out, as far as you can, what support you want from the doctor - i.e. at that point I knew I just wanted something temporary to help me sleep, rather than something longterm or counselling based.

Remember that you are very articulate and self-aware as a person, which should put you in good stead for her to really understand exactly how to help. And to be fair, going in and saying "My Dad died, it's the anniversary soon, and I'm really struggling" is as good a start as any!
  • Options
    I used to write letters telling him what I thought of him and what I thought of what he did! It helped me get to grips with the angry/upset bits that I wasn't so forthcoming about in sessions. I like the memory idea...I will give it a go! :)

I don't really know what I want. I think I am coming round to the idea of sleeping pills as I need something. It's getting to the stage where I am getting at most, about 2 hours of non-disturbed sleep a night which is rubbish and not helping me whatsoever. Other than that, I have no idea.

I like that...in fact I think that will really help me start the conversation - thank you! :) Maybe I'll just write down some of the things thats been happening as pointers for me but also it means if I get panicky she can read them for herself.

Thank you for the advice :) x
  • Options
    Sounds like you've got a good plan nailed there.
  • Options
    You could make notes on things like how you'd be happy with a short term course of sleeping pills, but aren't keen on long-term, or would prefer not to go onto long-term medication. She might benefit from knowing your potential plans to return to counselling in March too.

You're welcome :)
  • Options
    Lo,

Somebody caused me to do some googling, and in the process of that I've come across this and there's a video half way down that I thought you might find useful: http://healstudy.org/
  • Options
    Thank you for the link...I've only managed to watch some of the video at the mo and it was really interesting...will watch the rest tomorrow :)
  • Options
    Really anxious this evening...so much so I can sense another panic attack coming. I'm trying to calm myself down but I'm terrified something bad is going to happen to me. I would deserve it. I don't deserve good things to happen to me. I wish I could go to sleep and not wake up. I don't want to feel like this anymore.
  • Options
    Dude, you do deserve good things to happen, everybody does. Its gonna be okay I promise. You can make it through this. We are all here for you and we all care.
    I am sorry things are so tough for you at the minute I really am. Nobody should feel that way.
    Its great that your still posting to get support. Your not alone. :)
    Keep going, your stronger than you believe <3

• Options
    Thanks hun...I just have to get to Mon...
  • Options
    You can do it. I believe in you <3

• Options
    How you doing love?

You do not deserve this bad stuff. You are a lovely person - just look how you help other people here.

Hugs xx
  • Options
    It's kind of been on and off...I'm really anxious today about my doctors appt and I'm really struggling with the sleep issues...I managed to get some sleep over the weekend as I was off work but the more anxious I get the worse it gets and last night I must of had about 2 hours sleep even though I did a really long and intense workout at the gym! I guess I'll just have to wait to see what she says...*hug* xx
  • Options
    I'm not really sure on the outcome of my appt...I explained it was the first year anniversary next week and that I was struggling...I explained I wasn't sleeping again, I was having frequent panic attacks and nightmares...I explained that I was feeling overwhelmed and generally worn out. She gave me sleeping tablets which I accepted and am pleased I have but I guess I just expected more? I've researched all my symptoms on the NHS website and they all reflect PTSD and complicated grief, which I know you have also mentioned to me several times Purple_roo. She noted it on my medical records as stress and told me it was signs of trauma and stress but that was it? I dunno...I guess I'll give the sleeping tablets a go and see what happens...I also told my manager the outcome of my appt and she just seemed blissfully like "never mind" pat on the head kind of attitude...Just want someone to make this go away :crying:
  • Options
    I am glad they have given you something to help you sleep, hopefully that will help you. Sorry to hear that your manager wasn't very supportive. Good to see you posted to let us know how it went.

Big hugs x
  • Options
    Better sleep will definitely help you short-term.

Did you and the doctor discuss any more counselling? You'll see that the NHS page mentions several treatments, all of which are counselling based: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Post-traumatic-stress-disorder/Pages/Treatment.aspx

It will 'go away' but it's a hard slog to get there, and it's not going to be something that pills magically fix. I'd really recommend you head back into counselling to do something practical like CBT or EMDR...
  • Options
    No she never mentioned it...she was quick to offer sleeping tablets but then was just as quick to see the back of me but told me to "see how they go". From past experience, if you approach the subject, they tell you to self-refer now. I am desperately trying to hold off until March though...

I have text my manager since seeing her this morning and made it quite clear that stress is stress - work-related or not and it is impacting on my job...she's offered me time off and says "she'll support all she can" but I'll believe it when I see it! I was thinking of asking for a referral to our OHA team, especially as our OHA is specifically trained in MH issues.

I have kinda calmed down a bit since earlier - I was really tearful when I got home but I think that was because my doctor was asking for a lot of detail about how he committed suicide.
  • Options
    Would OHA be Occupational Health within your company? Could be a good start.

Had you booked a single appointment or a double? If you need to go and ask for a counselling referral it might be worth booking a double to ensure there's plenty of time for you.

Ok, if you're holding off till March, how about doing some self-help CBT in the meantime? Still got those links I sent you waaaaaaay back? Some of those might be useful now :)